I'm Gonna Crawl

Is it just me, or is it impossible to listen to this song straight through without grinning the entire time? I mean, I've listened to this song multiple times, and for some reason, I can never stop smiling at how utterly brilliant it is. Especially when Robert starts screaming at the end, I almost want to burst out laughing - not because I think it's funny, but because I can't believe I'm listening to something so great.

I dunno, I just listened to this song a couple of minutes ago, and I just felt compelled to type this all out. Maybe I'm just insane, who knows? All I know is, this song is incredible.

yep your insane. just admit it....I am too!! I get a permagrin whenever I listen to any zep tune. I get all warm and fuzzy. I must be completely gone!!

really any tune any one of em have somethin to do with...while back I was in the car and this "new" song came on I hadn't heard....darkness, darkness and I was really diggin it and then the announcer said Robert Plant---and I had a very long laugh--no wonder, of course I would like it.

Is it just me, or is it impossible to listen to this song straight through without grinning the entire time? I mean, I've listened to this song multiple times, and for some reason, I can never stop smiling at how utterly brilliant it is. Especially when Robert starts screaming at the end, I almost want to burst out laughing - not because I think it's funny, but because I can't believe I'm listening to something so great.

I dunno, I just listened to this song a couple of minutes ago, and I just felt compelled to type this all out. Maybe I'm just insane, who knows? All I know is, this song is incredible.

That's such a true statement! I laugh out loud all the time listening to Zep, for just that reason. Bonzo gets me all the time, how he's freakin' one step ahead of Jimmy I don't even know, but he was all the time, and just sneaks in that fill or cymbal crash or whatever, like an exclamation point. :thumbsup:

And this song, yeah, there's something about it. For awhile when it starts, I'm straight back in junior high doing a slow dance with a cute guy I have a crush on... but then... it ratchets up and I'm not in junior high no more, no sirree, nope... all growed up. :ph34r::blush:

I agree it is an incredible song!!!

When listening to I'm Gonna Crawl, I have a totally different feeling though.

From the first time that I heard it in August of 1979, I have the same emotional feeling/sensation as that when I hear Tea for One and Ten Years Gone.

That is the time away and longing for a true love.

I hate to say this, but actually the song almost makes me sad to the point I want to cry.

I agree it is an incredible song!!!

When listing to I’m Gonna Crawl, I have a totally different feeling though.

From the first time that I heard it in August of 1979, I have the same emotional feeling/sensation as that when I hear Tea for One and Ten Years Gone.

That is the time away and longing for a true love.

I hate to say this, but actually the song almost makes me sad to the point I want to cry.

That's what I thought I was supposed to feel when I listen to it. It is a really sad song, and yet it makes me smile...

Again, I'm losing it... :unsure:

I was listening to In Through The Out Door this morning, I'm really into this album at the mo :)

I haven't listened to this record for years(beginning to end). My least fave Zep record just may sound very different to me today.

I going to give it a go.....

It is an amazing song indeed but I find it a bit melancholy to hear. The bluesy, almost desparate feel (in my mind) of the song resonates more with the fact it's the last song on the last album they did :( But I still find it a gem, just has a bit of a boohoo to me.

I always loved it because it's a bit on the sad side, not too melancholy, and it's a return to the rockabilly/blues sound full circle. Plus it's the last song on the last album, and they go out in style.

:)

I know just what you mean. That primal scream at the end sounds therapuetic for Robert. Like it is for me. :P

That's what I thought I was supposed to feel when I listen to it. It is a really sad song, and yet it makes me smile...

Again, I'm losing it... :unsure:

I agree...it's a bit of a sexy in a longing way song....

It is an amazing song indeed but I find it a bit melancholy to hear. The bluesy, almost desparate feel (in my mind) of the song resonates more with the fact it's the last song on the last album they did :( But I still find it a gem, just has a bit of a boohoo to me.

Yeah, there is that, last song on the last album. :(

I feel the melancholy in it too, it's just... sometimes intense sex gives you that feeling. And they really rock it.

No, you're not insane. I agree with you that it is a brilliant song. I think that the band was fantastic on that song. Robert sounds wonderful and Jimmy's playing is incredibly beautiful. Both the singing and the playing are so emotional.

ITTOD is not my favorite Zep album but, for me, "I'm Gonna Crawl", "In the Evening", and "Southbound Suarez" are brilliant. Those songs have always made me think that, if the Bonzo hadn't tragically died, the band would have produced great things in the '80's - and maybe beyond.

One of my favorites. Take the production back ten years and it could have been on Zeppelin I.

Interesting you say that because that is the feeling that I got when I first heard "Im Gonna Crawl" - not the part about the production - but just the fact that it sounded as if it could be something from LZ I.

I love it. It's my favorite on the entire album. There's just something about it between Robert's singing and Jimmy's playing, that's so romantic.

I agree...it's a bit of a sexy in a longing way song....

I think that the song is absolutely romantic and sexy! It's filled with passion and longing. I especially love the song because, right around when it was released, my husband (who was my boyfriend at the time) and I were living in LA - he flew back east to pick up the car he had bought for me and drove it back to LA in record time - something like 2-3 days of non-stop driving alone across country. I can still remember when he arrived, long hair and unshaven and bringing not only the car to me but some great herb. :wub::hippy: Although ITTOD isn't my favorite Zep album, its release coincided with a great time in my life so songs like "I'm Gonna Crawl" evoke memories of those beautiful days. :D

i quite remember the first time i heard it. there was a BIG rush for this album at my local record store, and i have to admit 'in the evening' was worth the price of admission for me. my normal was to play an entire album without going back (usually holding a fattie), but that song stopped me dead in my tracks. it was a couple of days before i finally got to 'i'm gonna crawl'.

i distinctly recall thinking to myself "plant's voice is shot" when i first played it through. but i went back, recued it, and played it again. the suffering.....man, it was boneshaking. i could hear it deep in the grooves, these blues....the band hanging on robert's breath, jimmy making every note worth a million. recued-again. "ahhh..." i thought, "this is masterful." the phrasing, the deep hues of emotion, all clicked into one drawn out bellow.

i'm gonna crawl........

whoever started this post, thanks.

Agree, the album has so much more than strength than when it first came out. It doesn't feel mediocre any longer...In The Evening, South Bound Saurez, Carouselambra, I'm Gonna Crawl...ALOT of killer stuff. Crawl really does make that album feel like it came full circle. Don't know if it's me, but ending the album with it to me always felt like it has a 'what if' quality to it - or whether because it was the end of the chapter makes me think that or not. Seems like it was back to where they started doesn't it?

I'm willing to guess that this song/album is stronger for the people actually alive (and able to listen) when it came out (not me). My favorites are "In The Evening", "Fool In The Rain", "Hot Dog", and "All My Love". "I'm Gonna Crawl" is still cool though.

But this feeling you guys are talking about? I get that all the time. It's like I'm cracking a huge smile and shivers are going down my spine. *!* I just got a little one right there...haha

Perhaps it's some sort of spell? ;)

It seems to me that "Led Zeppelin I" up through "Physical Graffiti" are easily taken as Led Zeppelin Gospel, but ITTOD and maybe even Presence are more acquired tastes.

For some reason, I always have a hard time understanding what the heck Plant is saying on ITTOD and Presence.

I still enjoy ITTOD though, but I find it easier to enjoy now that I've whored out the rest of the albums.

Archived