Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Trashbag

I'm Gonna Crawl

I think that the song is absolutely romantic and sexy! It's filled with passion and longing. I especially love the song because, right around when it was released, my husband (who was my boyfriend at the time) and I were living in LA - he flew back east to pick up the car he had bought for me and drove it back to LA in record time - something like 2-3 days of non-stop driving alone across country. I can still remember when he arrived, long hair and unshaven and bringing not only the car to me but some great herb. :wub::hippy: Although ITTOD isn't my favorite Zep album, its release coincided with a great time in my life so songs like "I'm Gonna Crawl" evoke memories of those beautiful days. :D

What a great memory, Mad! So of the moment, I can almost picture it.

I'm willing to guess that this song/album is stronger for the people actually alive (and able to listen) when it came out (not me). My favorites are "In The Evening", "Fool In The Rain", "Hot Dog", and "All My Love". "I'm Gonna Crawl" is still cool though.

But this feeling you guys are talking about? I get that all the time. It's like I'm cracking a huge smile and shivers are going down my spine. *!* I just got a little one right there...haha

Perhaps it's some sort of spell? ;)

It seems to me that "Led Zeppelin I" up through "Physical Graffiti" are easily taken as Led Zeppelin Gospel, but ITTOD and maybe even Presence are more acquired tastes.

For some reason, I always have a hard time understanding what the heck Plant is saying on ITTOD and Presence.

I still enjoy ITTOD though, but I find it easier to enjoy now that I've whored out the rest of the albums.

:lol:

Aye, but she be a whore with a heart of gold... :D

Agree, the album has so much more than strength than when it first came out. It doesn't feel mediocre any longer...In The Evening, South Bound Saurez, Carouselambra, I'm Gonna Crawl...ALOT of killer stuff. Crawl really does make that album feel like it came full circle. Don't know if it's me, but ending the album with it to me always felt like it has a 'what if' quality to it - or whether because it was the end of the chapter makes me think that or not. Seems like it was back to where they started doesn't it?

That's were IGC took me. Back to the beginning. Pure, raw, romantic and sexy. What Zeppelin were all about

What a great memory, Mad! So of the moment, I can almost picture it.

Thanks, SunChild! I can still picture it and, believe me, at that time, the light from my sweetheart :wub: had completely eclipsed the "dark lord". ;)

It is an amazing song indeed but I find it a bit melancholy to hear. The bluesy, almost desparate feel (in my mind) of the song resonates more with the fact it's the last song on the last album they did :( But I still find it a gem, just has a bit of a boohoo to me.

i agree.

and for some reason i always forget about it. i love it dearly, but its not a song i think of when i think of my favorite zeppelin songs, though it is indeed a favorite. but because of this, when listening to In Through the Out Door, I am always so pleasantly surprised. it has that first-listen-of-an-incredible-album feeling to it, and that makes it so much better.

roberts scream at the end always does it for me. so much that i end up finding someone (usually my Mom) in my house to replay the song for ...mm.

Edited by comradeshelby

I really love this song...it makes me think of overcast days, which I dig, but alas I too have had that "last song on the last album/John's last recording" sort of ...well a beautiful depression I guess.

It's funny...as a young drummer I used to clamp earphones on and play to all of ITTOD, except for IGC.

This was because slower blues numbers played havoc with my internal meter... but after I had developed the discipline to play that style, I decided IGC would always be a song I just admired. A tribute to my drumming hero and inspiration.

Great insight from you all.

I'm Gonna Crawl was ALWAYS one of the sexiest, drop down dirty dance tracks ever put to vinyl.

Slow dancing to this always raised the temp in the room. Smoldering.

I remember the critics at the time, so cynical, jumped at the lyrics and the archaic blues meter, the corny synth etc.

I never agreed. Even with the back story of Jimmy's addiction incapacitation at the time, his playing is so out there on the edge. That "loose" shuffle that takes so much patience to slur along, leaving the space that most guitarist feel the need to fill. The disjointed stumbling solo build up, culminating in that long semi-sour note, breathes to this day because of it's willful imperfection. This is a band crushed by their devotion.

We who are captivated by the Zep, cleave to it's uniqueness and appreciate the rawness of the moment. Robert's gut stripped vocal chords perhaps echo his commitment to the stumbling Zep.

Johnny B's drumming really shows his roots. Few "rock" drummers of today have the feel to carry this off and this song has so much feel. JPJ is also stellar on this on the synth and tasty bass which gently nudges the track forward as JB lays back.

ONE OF MY ALL TIME FAVES!

I know I bore you all with my zealotry for Ian Thornley, but in so many ways he is inspired by Zep, in such an atmospheric way. He takes the Zep idea and twists it. It's more of a waltz than a blues shuffle, but it has the same feel. How many people today can pull this off? Please take the time to listen ALL the way through this track. Even the solo has the same monstrously pained, paint peeling, gut wrenching spiral too it. Might be the End is the spiritual brother of I'm Gonna Crawl without being a direct rip. And I LOVE IT! What do y'all think?

You can listen here:

http://drop.io/thornleyfans

3rd one down

Might Be The End

I was listening to In Through The Out Door this morning, I'm really into this album at the mo :)

When you think about it "MissHoneydripper," In Through The out Door was not a bad album. In my opinion, it was probably one of their most emotional albums ever to date with "I'm Gonna Crawl" and "All My Love." (As you all well know, All My Love was dedicated to his deceased son Karac.) Think of it this way, IF ZEPPELIN does manage to bless us with another studio album before going out on a new World Tour, I think they should call the new album "OUT THROUGH THE IN DOOR." What do you think? ROCK ON!

I really love this song...it makes me think of overcast days, which I dig, but alas I too have had that "last song on the last album/John's last recording" sort of ...well a beautiful depression I guess.

It's funny...as a young drummer I used to clamp earphones on and play to all of ITTOD, except for IGC.

This was because slower blues numbers played havoc with my internal meter... but after I had developed the discipline to play that style, I decided IGC would always be a song I just admired. A tribute to my drumming hero and inspiration.

I know exactly what you mean. I consider this to be one of bonzo's best work. B)

I'm Gonna Crawl was ALWAYS one of the sexiest, drop down dirty dance tracks ever put to vinyl.

I remember the critics at the time, so cynical, jumped at the lyrics and the archaic blues meter, the corny synth etc.

I never agreed. Even with the back story of Jimmy's addiction incapacitation at the time, his playing is so out there on the edge. That "loose" shuffle that takes so much patience to slur along, leaving the space that most guitarist feel the need to fill. The disjointed stumbling solo build up, culminating in that long semi-sour note, breathes to this day because of it's willful imperfection. This is a band crushed by their devotion.

We who are captivated by the Zep, cleave to it's uniqueness and appreciate the rawness of the moment. Robert's gut stripped vocal chords perhaps echo his commitment to the stumbling Zep.

Johnny B's drumming really shows his roots. Few "rock" drummers of today have the feel to carry this off and this song has so much feel. JPJ is also stellar on this on the synth and tasty bass which gently nudges the track forward as JB lays back.

I know I bore you all with my zealotry for Ian Thornley, but in so many ways he is inspired by Zep, in such an atmospheric way. He takes the Zep idea and twists it. It's more of a waltz than a blues shuffle, but it has the same feel. How many people today can pull this off? Please take the time to listen ALL the way through this track. Even the solo has the same monstrously pained, paint peeling, gut wrenching spiral too it. Might be the End is the spiritual brother of I'm Gonna Crawl without being a direct rip. And I LOVE IT! What do y'all think?

You can listen here:

3rd one down

Might Be The End

!!!!

Word!

As for Ian Thornely, you're not boring me - that's fantastic! (Unfortunately it could be the theme song for Zeppelin, right about now.)

I was gonna say, he's not to the same point as the lover in IGC, but then I heard the line "I always hold out when I ought to give in" and yeah, I get it.

Also, man, I hate digital recordings more and more...

Thanks, SunChild! I can still picture it and, believe me, at that time, the light from my sweetheart :wub: had completely eclipsed the "dark lord". ;)

:D

When you think about it "MissHoneydripper," In Through The out Door was not a bad album. In my opinion, it was probably one of their most emotional albums ever to date with "I'm Gonna Crawl" and "All My Love." (As you all well know, All My Love was dedicated to his deceased son Karac.) Think of it this way, IF ZEPPELIN does manage to bless us with another studio album before going out on a new World Tour, I think they should call the new album "OUT THROUGH THE IN DOOR." What do you think? ROCK ON!

Love it.

Except the concept of "out" is bittersweet...

You can listen here:

3rd one down

Might Be The End

What a great post, BUK! I wish I had your way with words - your description (in bold) of how "I'm Gonna Crawl" made many of us feel back then (and still does) is dead-on - ("sexy" "smouldering" "drop down dirty"). Even down to the slow dancing. :D

Thanks for the Ian Thornley link. :)

I was listening to In Through The Out Door this morning, I'm really into this album at the mo :)

Truly underrated album. I don't listen to it often and then when I do put it on, I always wonder why I don't listen to it more!

Thanks kids. I am so happy to share the Zep drenched love from newer artists. Along with Jack White, Earl Greyhound and a few others Ian Thornley I believe moves the Zep legacy forward, like Jimmy said many years ago , that he desired to see happen in the music.

All of those tracks that I gave you links to are either bootleg live recorded, or unreleased demo tracks that Ian himself crafted and had up on his myspace. The record company just doesn't see a "hit" so in this environment the release date keeps getting pushed back.

One of the very fortunate things of the Zep career and massive success was that they had the power back in the day to dictate to the money guys. It's not so for bands today. The business model has got to change.

Listen to this:

http://drop.io/thornleyfans2

All I Need

Think Honeydrippers Young Boy Blues. It is an OLD reference, but just so sweet. Let the harmonies wash over you. It'll never make it to record.

I'm Gonna Crawl would never make it to record today. We were indeed fortunate.

Edited by BUK

She give me good lovin, I'm gonna crawl.

Brilliant,underrated, underappreciated, much maligned. Oh what could have been never was.

what? why? it wasn't a single, just an album track. i believe if zep had never happened and came out today with the same recordings, they would totally save the record industry....

Truly underrated album. I don't listen to it often and then when I do put it on, I always wonder why I don't listen to it more!

Agreed, it is definitely underrated. Presence was a stark and dark masterpiece, but ITTOD was a much more adventurous and uplifting album. Interesting to note that Presence didn't have any keyboards on it and ITTOD had keys on every track.

Jones obviously was picking up the slack due to Jimmy's "problems" at this time, and thats what makes this record so cool and different.

Page may have been fucked up, but when it came time to lay down his solo's, man,

he really came through on every track, some of his best work ever.

Every song is different from the next, as well as the solo's, and then they throw in 'Carouselambra', their most different sounding song ever.

They were still taking chances and experimenting and thats what makes this record so important and successful.

Led Zeppelin's versatility never ceases to amaze me.

Edited by snapper

Thanks kids. I am so happy to share the Zep drenched love from newer artists. Along with Jack White, Earl Greyhound and a few others Ian Thornley I believe moves the Zep legacy forward, like Jimmy said many years ago , that he desired to see happen in the music.

All of those tracks that I gave you links to are either bootleg live recorded, or unreleased demo tracks that Ian himself crafted and had up on his myspace. The record company just doesn't see a "hit" so in this environment the release date keeps getting pushed back.

One of the very fortunate things of the Zep career and massive success was that they had the power back in the day to dictate to the money guys. It's not so for bands today. The business model has got to change.

Listen to this:

http://drop.io/thornleyfans2

All I Need

Think Honeydrippers Young Boy Blues. It is an OLD reference, but just so sweet. Let the harmonies wash over you. It'll never make it to record.

You can hear the love of the music, is the thing.

It is a lovely song and love hearing it, its on my Ipod but i do get sad hearing it too as its the last song on the last studio album, and I always feel like thats it and it kinda makes me sad :( now thats sad lol !

Whenever I hear this song come up on my I-pod or whatever, as soon as I hear those first couple notes on the organ by JPJ, I always crank it as loud as it will go... I always get chills listening to that organ

what? why? it wasn't a single, just an album track. i believe if zep had never happened and came out today with the same recordings, they would totally save the record industry....

I agree with you beatbo, there is no reason that this wouldn't be able to come out today. Just more of this music industry fatalism that's been making rounds.