Brits - North/South divide....

Little Miss

I could scream right about now if I have to go through this one more time.

it doesn't matter. you're wrong.

any actor who has been trained in phoenetics has to learn to transpose. and there is an entire curriculum devoted to american accents. the division of them is done by dialects (which are regional).

i know because i paid my own college bills....

I could scream right about now if I have to go through this one more time. I am aware of that. Really. I am. However, just like there is no such thing as one "English" accent, there is no such thing as one "American" accent. I don't speak with an American accent, I speak with a Midwestern accent. There are many accents in both countries. However, you don't hear anyone say "She has an American accent." They might say "She has a Southern accent" or "She has a New York accent". You are more likely to hear though, "She has an English accent" because unlike in England, MOST of our accents are easy to recognize, even by people not from this country.

I think that is probably the 10th time I've said this.

a midwestern accent is an "american" accent....your making a mistake by identifying "midwestern" as an accent when it's really a dialect. if you were visiting france, they wouldn't be able to make that discernment. but they would know you weren't from the UK because you speak with an american accent.

sorry....

a midwestern accent is an "american" accent....your making a mistake by identifying "midwestern" as an accent when it's really a dialect. if you were visiting france, they wouldn't be able to make that discernment. but they would know you weren't from the UK because you speak with an american accent.

sorry....

As I explained in my addendum to my previous post, I was taught that accent and dialect could at times, be used interchangeably, unless you're being super-specific, as I made the example with New York and its various accents. I make the distinction of dialects between boroughs, as a sub-set of the over all New York accent. Any book, article or writing I've read talking about the regional accents of this country, have called them accents, not dialects. I've only heard dialect used to describe smaller parts of the overall accent.

And I know that someone from France or another country wouldn't know what specific accent I was speaking. If it was a Southern accent, they'd probably know what that was, same with New York....maybe Boston. My accent isn't specifically obvious. We don't say anything pronounced, as opposed to other regions of the country.

I can add a small personal anecdote based upon my own experience. When my husband and I were living and working in southern Africa (along with other Americans and expats from a variety of nations) people from outside of the U.S. (including the English, who comprised the majority of expats) referred to all of us having "American accents".

I can add a small personal anecdote based upon my own experience. When my husband and I were living and working in southern Africa (along with other Americans and expats from a variety of nations) people from outside of the U.S. (including the English, who comprised the majority of expats) referred to all of us having "American accents".

That's why when you're in America,you should speak American,not British,oops,I mean English.Sorry 'bout that ya'll :rolleyes:

I will say this discussion is incredibly fascinating. It's interesting to see what people have learned and how they use that describe things and discuss things with people.

did you say the above in a midwest or american accent?

Well this is a very interesting thread. I really did learn something here. I will try to tell the difference from now on between the different accents of the U.K.. Now that I know that you all get offended. But I still stand by my post when I said, it does'nt bother me at all if people from outside the U.S. say I have an American accent. I am proud to be an American and even though we may speak a little different, we are one nation under God.

Well this is a very interesting thread. I really did learn something here. I will try to tell the difference from now on between the different accents of the U.K.. Now that I know that you all get offended. But I still stand by my post when I said, it does'nt bother me at all if people from outside the U.S. say I have an American accent. I am proud to be an American and even though we may speak a little different, we are one nation under God.

No we're not. We're one nation under Canada. Check a map.

When you hear an American speak, don't you consider that an American accent? Or can you tell where the person is from ? We also have many accents, North, South, East and West. But it would not offend me at all if someone said I have an American accent.

I couldn't tell you exactly but I could tell a Western accent from an Eastern or a Southern.

Yes, but England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland make up what Britain is. If it's an English accent, you call it an English accent - not British. There are many types of English accent, but they're all primarily English.

Purely out of an interest in languages/linguistics, I have tried to learn the differences. I would be very mortified if I ever got it wrong and offended someone. :unsure: I am not sure I would be able to identify a Welsh accent yet, but I can usually distinguish the others. I know plenty of people who can't though, or can't tell an English accent from an Australian, New Zealand or South African accent.

I have a slight general southern accent. There are definitely variations within the state; the Tidewater accent, the Richmond, the Southwest Virginia, the "general" Virginian. My parents are actually from the North and speak without accents, so mine has been picked up locally from 2 different parts of the state I've lived in.

• 2 weeks later...
In the United States, each part of the country has a different way of speaking based on the people that predominately made up the settlers to that region. And it's passed on through the generations until you get to today. The Midwest was mostly Scandinavian. The Northeast, mostly English (from England) and Irish. The West, mostly Spanish, same goes for the Southwest. The South, mostly Black African and Creole and Native American. Some parts of West Virginia were founded by the Scots-Irish and they have their own way of talking. Amish country is Pennsylvania Dutch which is ITS own way of talking.

I'm curious about something:Where does the Mid-Atlantic reigon fall into this? As I was reading this post,I could hear in my mind an example of an accent from each of the areas you listed,except my own.There's certain areas of my home state (Maryland) which have a distinctly Southern sound to them;mostly in the rural parts,and certain areas that have a different slant,mostly in and around Baltimore (hon B) ).There's also areas,mostly in and around D.C.,where there seems to be no accent at all,at least not one that's very discernable.Yet;when I call certain areas of the country in the course of my job;I'm always being asked to repeat myself,due to misunderstanding.Oddly enough;this happens mostly when I'm calling the South (Richmond),the Northeast (Portland,Maine;Long Island,NY) and the Midwest (Chicago).What gives?

I was once in a three-way conversation with a person from Brooklyn NY,and one from Dallas,Texas;and this very subject came up.My friend and I (both from here) commented on their accents,at which time we were informed that "you have one too,you just don't hear it".I never realized until that moment how diverse this country is.

Accents are;and always will be,a tricky thing.

I'm curious about something:Where does the Mid-Atlantic reigon fall into this? As I was reading this post,I could hear in my mind an example of an accent from each of the areas you listed,except my own.There's certain areas of my home state (Maryland) which have a distinctly Southern sound to them;mostly in the rural parts,and certain areas that have a different slant,mostly in and around Baltimore (hon B) ).There's also areas,mostly in and around D.C.,where there seems to be no accent at all,at least not one that's very discernable.Yet;when I call certain areas of the country in the course of my job;I'm always being asked to repeat myself,due to misunderstanding.Oddly enough;this happens mostly when I'm calling the South (Richmond),the Northeast (Portland,Maine;Long Island,NY) and the Midwest (Chicago).What gives?

The Mid-Atlantic states are an oddity; they are considered the "South" as most of them made up part of the Confederacy. But they're not really the "South". I live in North Carolina, and I've heard us referred to on the Weather Channel of all places, as both in the mid-atlantic and in the South. Which is kinda funny.

As for their accents, It would depend on what part of the Mid-Atlantic you're from. Maryland is right on top of DC, and is right below Pennsylvania. So I'd say you have more of the same accent Pennsylvanians have. Obviously like you said there are pockets where the accent is more Southern, owing to the fact you're very near both Virginias, but overall I'd say your accent is more Yankee.

The Mid-Atlantic states are an oddity; they are considered the "South" as most of them made up part of the Confederacy. But they're not really the "South". I live in North Carolina, and I've heard us referred to on the Weather Channel of all places, as both in the mid-atlantic and in the South. Which is kinda funny.

As for their accents, It would depend on what part of the Mid-Atlantic you're from. Maryland is right on top of DC, and is right below Pennsylvania. So I'd say you have more of the same accent Pennsylvanians have. Obviously like you said there are pockets where the accent is more Southern, owing to the fact you're very near both Virginias, but overall I'd say your accent is more Yankee.

Don't I know it........

It's been my experience that the further north you go from D.C.;the more pronounced and "Pennsylvania-like" the accents get.As a matter of fact;the ones in Philly and Baltimore are almost identical.

What I think is funny is how they can evolve.One person cold move from say,Boston to Alabama,and completely have one replaced by the other,and someone else never loses their original one,no matter where they are.

I think the basis for NC being referred to as Mid-Atlantic is the fact that it actually borders the Atlantic,and it's (allegedly) just far enough to the north,that it falls into that category.

Guest housesoftheholy
Don't I know it........

It's been my experience that the further north you go from D.C.;the more pronounced and "Pennsylvania-like" the accents get.As a matter of fact;the ones in Philly and Baltimore are almost identical.

What I think is funny is how they can evolve.One person cold move from say,Boston to Alabama,and completely have one replaced by the other,and someone else never loses their original one,no matter where they are.

I think the basis for NC being referred to as Mid-Atlantic is the fact that it actually borders the Atlantic,and it's (allegedly) just far enough to the north,that it falls into that category.

LesPaul,

What exactly is a "Pennsylvania-like" accent? I'm from Pennsylvania and I don't know what this means. If you're from Philadelphia, I think you sound a bit like people from New Jersey (water="waduh") and old school folks from Pittsburgh are quite different as well (Yinz want primantis?). Then again, I'm from the southeastern part of the state so I think I'm rather... accentless.

Regarding Americans stuffing all of the UK under the title of "Brits" or "British"-- don't worry, I'm not guilty of such a thing. I think most Americans are aware of the linguistic and geopolitical divisions, but have no reason to differentiate with the terms such as "English" or "Welsh" when discussing issues that might affect the UK as a whole. That's my guess anyhow (not to say that it's justified, of course).

I cannot add to North/South divide except that I had the pleasure of meeting a very kindly, friendly, and humorous Londoner from this board when I studied abroad in London. :D