Is now the time for Jimmy to write his autobiography?

zeptangerine

Jimmy's autobiography: now or when, what or who?  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Should Jimmy write an autobiography? If so, who or what would you like to see him write about?

• Yes write one now please!
    • No thanks, I'd rather not know anymore about him.
    • Let his kids write a tell-all book when he's gone.

I'm not at liberty to discuss the finer details, but the opening line can be revealed:

"It was a dark and stormy night..."

" It was the best of times; it was the worst of times. Good times. Bad times.

So's, G says to me, "Oi, Pagey, git yerself a band, aye?" I says "Alright, matey." Jonesy, grand chap that he is, will give it a go. Reid says look up this Brommie. Right. And blimey, he's got a drummer, too! Its bullocks to get 'im, but we's do. We do a bit of jamming together and we all says 'Fucking brilliant!' ..."

(sorry, I wish I knew the Cockney accent better). ;)

" It was the best of times; it was the worst of times. Good times. Bad times.

So's, G says to me, "Oi, Pagey, git yerself a band, aye?" I says "Alright, matey." Jonesy, grand chap that he is, will give it a go. Reid says look up this Brommie. Right. And blimey, he's got a drummer, too! Its bullocks to get 'im, but we's do. We do a bit of jamming together and we all says 'Fucking brilliant!' ..."

(sorry, I wish I knew the Cockney accent better). ;)

:slapface:

Jimmy says, "Although I don't agree with everything he said, he was a visionary. I don't particularly want to go into it because it's a personal thing and isn't in relation to anything I do as a musician, apart from that I've employed his system in my own day to day life".

I believe this is from the late 70's Burroughs article. There is a much more recent quote where Jimmy opens up quite a bit more about his interest in Crowley, and how it very much effected the music.

Jimmy as well, who speaks with a soft Surrey accent, not a Cockney one. ;)

Oi Oi, Thats such a shame Steve, cos i could have gotten him a Gig with "Chas and Dave" if he had Spoke a bit mor like i does, me ol matey. :thumbsup:

Regards, Danny

OK, I will venture these remarks here, even if I don't really go into the details for now - just hoping some people may find it worth considering, that's all.... As for Thelema and the whole Crowley inspiration, in my opinion people are on the wrong track when they try to connect it strongly with his music, and specifically Led Zeppelin's musical legacy. It was something Jimmy took quite seriously, hence important for him, although not for the other band members who in fact also contributed a great deal (and Jimmy always wanted just that).

But to me it also seems far-fetched to trace his musical vision as such to Thelema. A belief system like that is a way of construing the meaning of things in your life, and first of all it gives you an impetus to understand your "will" - I guess in a way it may even provide some guidance to action. What it does not provide is an artistic vision however. I am pretty sure myself that Jimmy did have an interconnected set of ideas for the music already in 1968, but to understand them it would be more useful to remember his interest in the visual arts. For him personally of course the musical vision will have been connected to his beliefs, but logically they are quite separate.

But to me it also seems far-fetched to trace his musical vision as such to Thelema. A belief system like that is a way of construing the meaning of things in your life, and first of all it gives you an impetus to understand your "will" - I guess in a way it may even provide some guidance to action. What it does not provide is an artistic vision however. I am pretty sure myself that Jimmy did have an interconnected set of ideas for the music already in 1968, but to understand them it would be more useful to remember his interest in the visual arts. For him personally of course the musical vision will have been connected to his beliefs, but logically they are quite separate.

Agreed, but would add he did use Led Zeppelin as a vehicle for more than making music.

OK, I will venture these remarks here, even if I don't really go into the details for now - just hoping some people may find it worth considering, that's all.... As for Thelema and the whole Crowley inspiration, in my opinion people are on the wrong track when they try to connect it strongly with his music, and specifically Led Zeppelin's musical legacy. It was something Jimmy took quite seriously, hence important for him, although not for the other band members who in fact also contributed a great deal (and Jimmy always wanted just that).

Excellent obsevation Otto! Bands like Stryper had a clear message. In God We Trust. Jimmy was anything but a Thelemic evangelist! :lol: It was a very private and personal interest. The only reason we know about it at all is that the press pushed him to talk about it. Runes, "Do What Thou Wilt", and dragon suits aside, imagery and mystique and all that, what he actually did with it was for him and himself only. But of course, you can quote Tangents Within a Framework better than I! ;)

Excellent obsevation Otto! Bands like Stryper had a clear message. In God We Trust. Jimmy was anything but a Thelemic evangelist! :lol: It was a very private and personal interest. The only reason we know about it at all is that the press pushed him to talk about it. Runes, "Do What Thou Wilt", and dragon suits aside, imagery and mystique and all that, what he actually did with it was for him and himself only. But of course, you can quote Tangents Within a Framework better than I! ;)

:slapface: Tangents, Ev? Cannot, I swear! I only just scanned the thing so that everybody would have easy access! It's HERE :)

I guess you're right that I tend to produce quotations literally, often citing the original source and all that. But the thing is, when quotes are needed to substantiate or strengthen a case I want to make, it's simply more efficient to produce them literally. That way people won't dispute them, and one makes sure memory isn't playing any tricks. And there's also the fact that I have a philosophical training and know the rules of academic texts, which does affect the way I think and write about any old thing in the universe, including Jimmy's bloody trousers. :lol:

I agree that it is easy to show, using many quotes from all different sources, that Jimmy saw Thelema mostly as his own private affair. But the point I wanted to make was more specific, regarding his musical vision for Led Zeppelin and what would be the best way to understand where it came from. I have in fact already made extensive study of just that, which ties in with other things I've written on the band. Nobody has dealt with this in a manner that I find satisfactory - I'm genuinely sorry if somebody thinks I sound arrogant, but I just found it necessary to tackle that whole subject differently. :)

It does make my collection of books and mags useful, at any rate. :lol:

Well, if there's anyone fit to tackle the study of what was in his head that he managed to realise in Led Zeppelin, it's you Otto. ;)

As for an autobiography, knowing the way Page talks in interviews, I'm fairly sure he's pretty much already put out there what he wants to share about his life. I mean everything from the time he picked up a guitar is common knowledge. He's made it very clear that the things he doesn't discuss he doesn't want discussed. I can't imagine him putting the things he doesn't wish to talk about in a book and publishing it.

• 3 weeks later...

London, September 9 (ANI): Rock legend Jimmy Page has left many fans disappointed after snubbing plans to pen an autobiography.

The Led Zeppelin star recently made the revelation at friend Gary Kemp’s book launch.

“I’ve had so many offers over the years but I’m not interested,” the Daily Express quoted him as saying.

“I wouldn’t know how to go about it,” the 65-year-old guitarist added.

Page further tagged most books on the Seventies rock group as “a load of old rubbish”. (ANI)

source: Here

I know that song made him want to play the guitar, but what made him want to be a musician?

The same...

"I got really stimulated by hearing early rock and roll; knowing that something was going on that was being suppressed by the media. Which it really was at the time. You had to stick by the radio and listen to overseas radio to hear good records-Little Richard and things like that. The record that made me want to play guitar was "Baby, Let's Play House" by Elvis Presley. I just sort of heard two guitars and bass and thought, "Yeah, I want to be a part of this." There was just so much vitality and energy coming out of it."

'Jimmy Page: Zeppelin!' by Steven Rosen, Guitar Player, Jul 1977

• 4 weeks later...

definitely, if only to set the record straight on many things. For instance until recently I thought that the riff from Whole Lotta Love was born from a live performance of Dazed and Confused - Jimmy said in an interview somewhere (can't remember where) that this is not true - he came up with the riff off the stage on his own.

As Evster said it will never happen because he's already put out in interviews what he wants revealed about himself. How many times have any of you read an interview with Page & if he thinks a question is to personal he always let's out an inevitable "(sighs)" followed by "I don't really know all about that" lol :D . All the time. He has opened up a bit more since the release of the "DVD" & "HTWWW" but nothing really substantial. I'm amazed that since then he's even acknowledged that he took drugs, while not coming out that he ever had a problem with them. That to me was a big deal but he still didn't really say anything & he's not going to. He only likes talking about the music Zeppelin made. It's the only thing in interviews he focuses on. Thankfully he does a few interviews with "Guitar World" every so often & he shares his recording techniques, background info about certain songs, etc. That's all documented by now so what's the point of Page writing a book if that's all he wants known? I figure zero, as he's already said that he never will write a book.

• 2 years later...

Kids writing the book is a horrible idea. Just look at Bing Crosby's kids. One hates him and wrote a smear book. Another loves him and says the book is all lies and now the two hate each other. Disaster.

Someone probably already posted this but I'm not reading the whole thread:

http://www.amazon.com/Light-Shade-Conversations-Jimmy-Page/dp/0307985717/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1332974341&sr=1-1

A biography based on actual interviews with JP himself. Comes out later this year. I don't know about y'all but I'll be at the bookstore the day it's released.

Archived