The Anticipation is Frightening

And I'm just a fan with a ticket. 11 days. I'm getting wet palms and strange bodily sensations just thinking about it. The first full show since 1980. I was at Atlantic's 40th but this is above and beyond. Truely a dream come true. Cheers to fellow attendees, fans from around the world, and, of course, the band!

Good ! I'm pleased it's not just me getting giddy about this show. I thought I was possibly going through the male menopause !

Cold sweats, not sleeping, walking into rooms and forgetting why I went there, constantly losing things, etc etc. I nearly crashed the car last week; flying along in a world of my own listening to the BBC Sessions at full volume and completely misjudged the bend...it was VERY close ! Everything...family life, job, planning stuff is now all done in reference to Dec 10.

Of course, it could be just a mid-life crisis; I am at that vulnerable age. And anyway, my wife claims that I have been behaving like this for years ! :huh:

And I'm just a fan with a ticket. 11 days. I'm getting wet palms and strange bodily sensations just thinking about it. The first full show since 1980. I was at Atlantic's 40th but this is above and beyond. Truely a dream come true. Cheers to fellow attendees, fans from around the world, and, of course, the band!
People say Atlantic's 40th sounded better in person. Is that true? Describe it if you like.

People say Atlantic's 40th sounded better in person. Is that true? Describe it if you like.

Nothing could have made Jimmy's Heartbreaker solo sound good....BTW, I'm getting stomach aches I'm so excited...I keep worrying that this is a dream I'm in and suddenly I'm gonna wake up.....no....must keep dreaming!!!

The highlight of Atlantic's 40th for me was Stairway. It sounded amazing as I remember it and when Robert said, "does anybody remember laughter?", I just about lost it. The only other rock moment that compared in my experience was some bowing from Page, I believe during the Outrider tour. In any event, the thing about Atlantic's 40th, is that it was a 12 hour concert in an arena; no outdoor festival mind you. There was very little to do except wait 11 and a half hours for Zep to play 5 songs! Sure some of the other bands were good but most everyone was there for one reason and to say the wait was tedious, is an understatement. I mean, I had to sit through Debbie Gibson on acid!!

In any event, I certainly have no regrets. Right before Zep took the stage and Ahmet was flashing the LEDZEP license plate, the buzz was incredible inspite of the long day. My friend and I, both 16 at the time, were as far away from the stage as you could possibly be but still had to stand on our seats to get a glimpse of the stage. When they finally came on, I remember feeling a little underwhelmed by Kashmir but that could've just been me coming down on you know what. When the sweet smoke filled the air, I perked up a bit and remember enjoying the rest of the show on my tip toes except the very 80s Jason Bonham synthesized drum solo (I forgive you :P). When the lights came on after the last song, we couldn't believe it was over. We wanted more, more, more!! Heading down to the LIRR, the building was buzzing with frenzied excitement as we all were trying to soak in the experience and make it last. Many exclamations of "I can finally die now" were made.

The highlight of Atlantic's 40th for me was Stairway. It sounded amazing as I remember it and when Robert said, "does anybody remember laughter?", I just about lost it. The only other rock moment that compared in my experience was some bowing from Page, I believe during the Outrider tour. In any event, the thing about Atlantic's 40th, is that it was a 12 hour concert in an arena; no outdoor festival mind you. There was very little to do except wait 11 and a half hours for Zep to play 5 songs! Sure some of the other bands were good but most everyone was there for one reason and to say the wait was tedious, is an understatement. I mean, I had to sit through Debbie Gibson on acid!!

In any event, I certainly have no regrets. Right before Zep took the stage and Ahmet was flashing the LEDZEP license plate, the buzz was incredible inspite of the long day. My friend and I, both 16 at the time, were as far away from the stage as you could possibly be but still had to stand on our seats to get a glimpse of the stage. When they finally came on, I remember feeling a little underwhelmed by Kashmir but that could've just been me coming down on you know what. When the sweet smoke filled the air, I perked up a bit and remember enjoying the rest of the show on my tip toes except the very 80s Jason Bonham synthesized drum solo (I forgive you :P). When the lights came on after the last song, we couldn't believe it was over. We wanted more, more, more!! Heading down to the LIRR, the building was buzzing with frenzied excitement as we all were trying to soak in the experience and make it last. Many exclamations of "I can finally die now" were made.

:lol: When Ahmet and Phil and oh crap I forgot the comedian's name who was with them, came out to introduce the band, they had to stall because I guess they weren't ready or something. Talk about absolute torture!!!

I think the whole day was pretty amazing, seeing a bit of Atlantic's history unfold like that and having the chance to watch artists from the earlier days was quite something. When Zep took stage, the whole place erupted and it was undescribable just being there and watching them. I should imagine that moment when they take the stage at the 02 Arena will be even more intense. It gives me goosebumps to think about it.

Atlantic must have been an astonishing record label for so many of its stars to want to represent it, at the anniversary show and to pay tribute to Ahmet. There's been a couple of similar things with EMI over the years, but they always seemed a bit commercial. I can't think of any other labels that have that kind of loyalty and pride from their artists. Most of them seem to end up having big bust ups and slag off the label any chance they get. I suppose the only other one that springs to mind is Factory Records in the UK, but that was sort of legendarily maverick and independent. Any other examples of commercially successful labels being so revered by their artists?

Atlantic must have been an astonishing record label for so many of its stars to want to represent it, at the anniversary show and to pay tribute to Ahmet. There's been a couple of similar things with EMI over the years, but they always seemed a bit commercial. I can't think of any other labels that have that kind of loyalty and pride from their artists. Most of them seem to end up having big bust ups and slag off the label any chance they get. I suppose the only other one that springs to mind is Factory Records in the UK, but that was sort of legendarily maverick and independent. Any other examples of commercially successful labels being so revered by their artists?

Indeed it was. Ahmet and Neshui were true music fans and the whole reason for starting the label was based on a love of music. They borrowed money and sacrificed their own pay in the early days to keep it going and I don't think even in modern times, he ever lost sight of why he was doing this. There are a host of other labels who have made their mark - I think of Blue Note for jazz off the top of my head.

Archived