Reunion tour possabilities

Hey Steve, here's a question for you: is this latest rumor regarding Plant being mad Jimmy didnt thank him at the Mojo awards true, according to your inside sources? and don't you think Plant is a hypocrite for constantly distancing himself/ and IMO dissing Zep on a regular basis, but then wanting a big thank you from Jimmy for being at the 02? if it was so important, he would have A.found a way to be there(I know he had a show) or B.accepted via satelite or a taped acceptance. i just find it a bit egotistical to not really want to be w/ Zep again and then want a big thank You like he is the most important member?

I think Jimmy's problem was more alcohol related, but he could have been using other stuff too. Whatever he was doing, the result was him being creatively unavailable to collaborate. It's a damn shame because who knows what we have missed out on.

On the other hand, now that Jimmy is clean and sober, he is likely much happier, and his recent activity almost certainly couldn't have happened.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's a lot of guesswork and presumption in regards to Page's health and musical status during the 1998 tour. Cactus, did you see any shows from that tour to present such a statement? If you did " creatively unavailable " would not be an applicable phrase.

I love how ten years later Jimmy's catching the blame for the the duo's demise. If Robert was that concerned for Page's well-being he didn't express it at the time. His reasoning for discontinuing his partnership with Jimmy was about the English springtime and his great disdain for playing ice arenas. If Page was such a uncreative and hopeless wreck why didn't Robert and Bill Curbishly see that Jimmy receive some help and treatment?

I think Jimmy's problem was more alcohol related, but he could have been using other stuff too. Whatever he was doing, the result was him being creatively unavailable to collaborate. It's a damn shame because who knows what we have missed out on.

On the other hand, now that Jimmy is clean and sober, he is likely much happier, and his recent activity almost certainly couldn't have happened.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's a lot of guesswork and presumption in regards to Page's health and musical status during the 1998 tour. Cactus, did you see any shows from that tour to present such a statement? If you did " creatively unavailable " would not be an applicable phrase.

I love how ten years later Jimmy's catching the blame for the the duo's demise. If Robert was that concerned for Page's well-being he didn't express it at the time. His reasoning for discontinuing his partnership with Jimmy was about the English springtime and his great disdain for playing ice arenas. If Page was such a uncreative and hopeless wreck why didn't Robert and Bill Curbishly see that Jimmy receive some help and treatment?

Seems to me there's two sides to the story and there were probably a lot of issues going on at the time to lead to their ending their collaboration. We'll likely never know (nor should we as I would assume it's private). As for Robert and Curbishley seeing that Jimmy receive help, well that's a tough call. If Jimmy wasn't willing or ready to accept treatment, unfortunately there wouldn't have been much Robert, Bill or anyone could have done beyond being supportive and encourage him to seek help.

If it was or is such a private matter why bring it up publicly ten years later in an interview. Because, Robert strongly alluded to Jimmy's lack of good health during that time frame it comes across as Page's fault for the dissolution. That's not a two-sided story.

If it was or is such a private matter why bring it up publicly ten years later in an interview. Because, Robert strongly alluded to Jimmy's lack of good health during that time frame it comes across as Page's fault for the dissolution. That's not a two-sided story.

I was referring to the fact that there is probably more to it than what has been publicly stated.

i'm with ya on this, steve. after seeing alot of shows on that tour, it was my impression that page was stealing the show everynight-without 30 minute solos. once jimmy locked his leg next to the drum riser and got serious, that was everybody's ass. the rockpalast show in germany was the last great show from plant, imo...

Love that picture You got there of Jimmy.It was taken July 12th or 13th 1973 at Cobo Hall.

Mike "Puffy" Bordin was allegedly mentioned at this meeting.

Yes, Faith No More (Mike Bordin on drums) had been an opening act for Robert in '90.

It was Robert who suggested him, but Jimmy and JPJ were unfamilar with his abilities.

Robert stayed behind while they went out to get the Faith No More Brixton concert

on VHS from Tower Records at Piccadilly Circus. When they returned Robert already changed his mind about a Led Zeppelin reunion. Three months later Jimmy was in

Manhattan meeting with David Coverdale.

This is nothing to do with any previous ill-feeling between us, but I REALLY think Robert's perspective on this is a little clearer than yours this time.

For many years I placed all the blame solely on Robert. I have moved away from that original position to what I hope is middle ground.

I wholeheartedly agree with you about the press having fabricated that story about

tension over the award acceptance speech. Little more than cheap, yellow journalism.

Would have been interesting if one of them said "Yes, I know his work" when Plant first suggested him. Would Robert still have backed out I wonder?

Yes, Faith No More (Mike Bordin on drums) had been an opening act for Robert in '90.

It was Robert who suggested him, but Jimmy and JPJ were unfamilar with his abilities.

Robert stayed behind while they went out to get the Faith No More Brixton concert

on VHS from Tower Records at Piccadilly Circus. When they returned Robert already changed his mind about a Led Zeppelin reunion. Three months later Jimmy was in

Manhattan meeting with David Coverdale.

Would have been interesting if one of them said "Yes, I know his work" when Plant first suggested him. Would Robert still have backed out I wonder?

I believe ultimately he would backed out regardless. The Led Zeppelin Boxed Set was selling like gangbusters, but he'd just gone everywhere but the moon as a solo artist

in '90. He had a South American tour lined up for January 1991 which was cancelled

ostensibly on account of "throat problems" but fear of Gulf War terrorism was also

cited as a possible reason. Anyway, apparently he and his band met in Feb '91 and

it was decided to take a six month break from all activity with the understanding

they would reconvene in September to begin work on the next album. This gave him

the extended break he needed.

In May he attended his daughter's wedding. In July he went to New York where he and Ahmet attended a gig by guitarist Barney Kessel at Village Vanguard. When he returned home he opened a pub fete to raise 1,800 pounds for an Alen Wilks whom required an electric wheel chair. Come September, his son Jesse Lee was born and his band found

things had changed considerably since their last sessions. He signed a new solo deal

with Fontana in December.

All in all, quite a contrast to how life would have been for him had he committed to a full scale Led Zeppelin reunion that January.

There is ample evidence that the 98 shows were good overall. But was Jimmy getting f#$%d up? He often drools.. that says maybe.. but what kills me is when he scratches himself, mumbles, and slouches during 1998 interviews. If you already suspect someone of this or that, you know the signs you are looking for.. Former Yardbirds (Box of Frogs sessions)and Robert Plant accuse Jimmy of taking an hour just to change a wah wah pedal battery (circa 85-88). That means something to me, and I'm not going to say what. I'm sure everything is different and better now.

There is ample evidence that the 98 shows were good overall. But was Jimmy getting f#$%d up? He often drools.. that says maybe.. but what kills me is when he scratches himself, mumbles, and slouches during 1998 interviews. If you already suspect someone of this or that, you know the signs you are looking for.. Former Yardbirds (Box of Frogs sessions)and Robert Plant accuse Jimmy of taking an hour just to change a wah wah pedal battery (circa 85-88). That means something to me, and I'm not going to say what. I'm sure everything is different and better now.

Robert's comment about the wah-wah pedals dates back to their post-Live Aid attempt at a full-scale Led Zeppelin reunion in January 1986. I didn't take it to mean Jimmy was out of it, I took it to mean after five years as a solo artist Robert preferred to plot his own musical direction on his own terms. IMHO, it was the remark of an impatient man

reluctant to embrace the return of the monster (Led Zeppelin).

Jimmy said the promo schedule for Walking Into Clarksdale was ridiculous, recalling how

he did all the press for In Through The Out Door in one day. It takes a lot to answer

the same questions time and time again, particularly when the album isn't necessarily

a masterpiece.

I always chalked the drooling up to ill-fitting dentures...

Robert's comment about the wah-wah pedals dates back to their post-Live Aid attempt at a full-scale Led Zeppelin reunion in January 1986. I didn't take it to mean Jimmy was out of it, I took it to mean after five years as a solo artist Robert preferred to plot his own musical direction on his own terms. IMHO, it was the remark of an impatient man

reluctant to embrace the return of the monster (Led Zeppelin).

Jimmy said the promo schedule for Walking Into Clarksdale was ridiculous, recalling how

he did all the press for In Through The Out Door in one day. It takes a lot to answer

the same questions time and time again, particularly when the album isn't necessarily

a masterpiece.

yeah, didn't plant and jonsey have a pint and jonesy said something like "well, none of this bothered you before...." and robert said "well, it does now. i'm off!"

i still think he has denture problems....not as acute as before though. some surgery, perhaps?

• 2 weeks later...

so it seems Robert has agreed to a full scale zeppelin reformation, at least for a short time, in both 1986, and 1991. No doubt it has been talked about between the 3 of them many more times.

if Robert ever gets the feeling it would be fun and refreshing, I wouldn't be suprised if he agreed to it again, and carried it out..maybe even for Jason more than anything...from some of the interviews with he and Robert I get the feeling there was some unfinished business of sorts, at least to talk thru between the two up until recently anyway....

hell I don't understand most of my own relationships, let alone Jimmy and Roberts....

I love how ten years later Jimmy's catching the blame for the the duo's demise.

I still think the commercial failure of the WiC album was the main reason Robert bowed out after 1998. He didn't want to pull himself up by his bootstraps and try again with Jimmy, even though Jimmy was already starting to write new material. I think Robert took a big ego hit and just kind of "sulked" in silence, and then went back to the woodshed incognito via Priory of Brion, and then kind of retreated back to his solo career without any fanfare.

I still think the commercial failure of the WiC album was the main reason Robert bowed out after 1998. He didn't want to pull himself up by his bootstraps and try again with Jimmy, even though Jimmy was already starting to write new material. I think Robert took a big ego hit and just kind of "sulked" in silence, and then went back to the woodshed incognito via Priory of Brion, and then kind of retreated back to his solo career without any fanfare.

That would make sense, wouldn't it? To recover from your wounded ego by sulking and then taking a band on the road that nobody had heard of, and didn't even know you were singing with? (Even though you could have been touring the world with Jimmy Page with great fanfare all this time?)

:lol:

Accoring to a woman I know, Jimmy's ALWAYS been a drooler! ;)

As for his alcohol abuse in 98, I don't think it affected his performance necessarily. I agree he was quite good. But when you're talking about longtime friendships, it goes deeper than just what happens on the stage. Just because Page could muster the magic onstage doesn't mean it didn't pain or even disgust Robert to see him offstage self-medicating. Not that I'm presuming to know how Robert felt. I just know from personal experience in similar situations with bands that have one guy drinking heavily (usually me) among sober guys. It doesn't matter if I tore up the guitar or not. It was the offstage "drooling" that pained them! :lol:

Haha!

"When Jimmy gets into intense guitar solos, spit runs down his lower lip. Absolutely, no question. He just gets into his playing. He doesn't care about anything else in the world except the music."

According to what I've been told, the same statement could be made for other activities, particularly ones that occurred in hotel rooms! :lol:

Archived