Peter Frampton has still got it!

Detigers09

Has anyone seen Frampton yet on his tour? I hadn't listened to him in a while, and I forgot what an amazing guitarist he was. I saw him this week, and the show he put on was just magnificent. All the favorites: Show Me the Way, Baby I Love Your Way, Do You Feel Like We Do, Lines On My Face, a few motown songs to open with, and a 15 minute encore of While My Guitar Gently Weeps. I really think he may be one of the greatest guitarists ever; I have never even heard his name in that discussion.

Definitely one of the best concerts I have ever been to, I would highly recommend seeing him if he will be around you.

Has anyone seen Frampton yet on his tour? I hadn't listened to him in a while, and I forgot what an amazing guitarist he was. I saw him this week, and the show he put on was just magnificent. All the favorites: Show Me the Way, Baby I Love Your Way, Do You Feel Like We Do, Lines On My Face, a few motown songs to open with, and a 15 minute encore of While My Guitar Gently Weeps. I really think he may be one of the greatest guitarists ever; I have never even heard his name in that discussion.

Definitely one of the best concerts I have ever been to, I would highly recommend seeing him if he will be around you.

Did you sit on the lawn for $15 bucks at DTE ? Well worth the money. Hell, I'd pay that just to hear "Lines on My Face". I can listen to him play that solo anytime.

Frampton Comes Alive! was in such heavy rotation on the radio and amongst friends back in the day that I had to give it a rest for many years. I finally picked up the deluxe edition of that album a couple of summers ago and actually enjoyed it again.

Just yesterday I heard what I believe was a newer Frampton instrumental on XM's Deep Tracks channel. It was very tasteful yet kicked ass in all the right places. I would definitely never confuse it with any of his lighter material from over the years. Unfortunately, no matter his guitar prowess, Frampton will always get short shrift because he sold far too many records in the 70s and became overexposed.

Every time we would hear a track from "Comes Alive" on the radio, my wife would ask why we never got that one on CD. So I finally went out to buy it - but could only find a fairly new "Live from Detroit" release at the store. I bought it anyway, and couldn't tell the difference. I'd rather have the Humble Pie at the Fillmore, though...

Did you sit on the lawn for $15 bucks at DTE ? Well worth the money. Hell, I'd pay that just to hear "Lines on My Face". I can listen to him play that solo anytime.

Yep, at DTE...actually it was $10 with one of the coupons they hand out, so it was definitely a good deal. Lines on My Face was one of the better songs of the night. I love that solo too.

I agree that I'd personally rather hear Frampton with Humble Pie but I still think Frampton is great. I really liked Frampton and then Frampton Comes Alive and, at this stage in my life, for sentimental reasons more than anything else, I still love "Baby, I Love Your Way". :D

Edited by MadScreamingGallery

Yeah, Humble Pie is him at his best. A radio station in atlanta called The River (97.1) overplays so many songs like that, and i got sick of frampton comes alive. I'm really sick of the tube synth thing, and i think he uses that so much it distracts from his talent as a rock guitarist.

Yeah, Humble Pie is him at his best. A radio station in atlanta called The River (97.1) overplays so many songs like that, and i got sick of frampton comes alive. I'm really sick of the tube synth thing, and i think he uses that so much it distracts from his talent as a rock guitarist.

And recently he's been in some TV commercial (Gieco?) where he hams it up doing that - supposedly interpreting a customer's satisfaction with the company. Ace Freely also does one, where his playing is obnoxious, and sparks fly out of his guitar during some board meeting. These are embarrassing...

• 2 weeks later...
I saw him last year at the House of Blues in Cleveland for the first time, and I must say that he is one of the most humble and friendly musicians that I've seen. It was so worth going to see him. He is one of my favorites now.

That's very cool to hear. I always thought that he was a very nice person - it's good to hear that it still holds true.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw him in concert supporting deep purple about 4 years ago and I have to say he was really realy good and would see him again in concert :)

It's called a talk box. The sound comes out of the guitar to the electronics box at the base of the tube, then travels up to his mouth, where he manipulates it to sound like words. Basically, the guitar serves as his vocal chords, and the rest is just like talkin.

Joe Walsh, Slash, Richie Sambora are some of the other more prominent players that use one.

Those Shoes, by the Eagles is a talk box masterpiece.

Back to the task at hand. One of my first cd's was a Frampton hits set. It had all the cool tunes, along with his more AOR material. It got quite a few spins.

Just watched a thing last night(History of Rock n Roll) and it talked about the impact of Frampton Comes Alive, and how it changed everybodies outlook on songwriting(there's gotta be that next hit) and the whole music business in general. Nobody realized that music could be such a huge money making venture til Frampton got as big as he did.

I like his version of Sign, Sealed, Delivered.

Joe Walsh, Slash, Richie Sambora are some of the other more prominent players that use one.

I don't have a source to quote or post,but I remember hearing somewhere that that's where Frampton got his talk-box....from Joe Walsh.

True? I have no fuckin' idea...... :D

Joe Perry also used to use one on "Walk This Way" at Aerosmith shows in the '70s.

I don't have a source to quote or post,but I remember hearing somewhere that that's where Frampton got his talk-box....from Joe Walsh.

True? I have no fuckin' idea...... :D

Joe Perry also used to use one on "Walk This Way" at Aerosmith shows in the '70s.

I have never heard that, but that don't mean a thing. I do know that when Adam Jones, of Tool, was needing help getting the best sound, he called Joe, and Joe left him a message and referred to himself as the "Talkbox fairy", so it may be true.

It's called a talk box. The sound comes out of the guitar to the electronics box at the base of the tube, then travels up to his mouth, where he manipulates it to sound like words. Basically, the guitar serves as his vocal chords, and the rest is just like talkin.

Those Shoes, by the Eagles is a talk box masterpiece.

Yes, i love Joe Walsh's use of it. Thanks, I always wondered how that worked.

Frankly, i'm really tired of hearing it on Do You Fell Like We Do. I love the end solo on it, but the middle section is so boring and repetetive after about a minute.

• 3 years later...

Peter Frampton is performing tomorrow night June 14th, at the Eli and Edythe Broad Stage in Santa Monica, Ca. This is a benefit show with other special guests for 826LA, Free Writing and Tutoring Programs for Children. General Admission Tickets, $250.00 and VIP Tickets $500.00. All proceeds from this event will support the non-profit writing and tutoring center, 826LA and it's free programs for children. I could not determine if tickets are still available or not, but there is more info on Peter's website if you are interested.

Not having listened to Peter Frampton in ages, I felt compelled to check out a couple of videos. The first one everybody probably knows. Like Stairway to Heaven it was way overplayed in the 1970's, but that doesn't make it sound any less fantastic (to me) today. In fact, this video reminds me what a great guitarist Peter is. The song is from the multi-million selling "Frampton Comes Alive!"

Do You Feel Like We Do?

This one is a more obscure song with a great slide show included. From the follow up album,"I'm in You," the song is "You Don't have to Worry," a sweet ballad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2WkCxuZJbk

I know no one cares but I have to ask myself, how did I not notice this other Golden God in the day?! They don't come much more gorgeous imo. Ladies? :) Missy

• 1 month later...

Jahfin, thanks for the link. Wow, hate to think how that accident could have been even worse for both parties all due to texting while driving. I can not understand why that is permitted in any state if it still is....It reminds me of the long ago Brady Bunch episode where Greg hit someone (or almost did) looking at the back of a new record album while driving.

Another thing Jahfin, is I figured since I was going to post I'd put up a video of Peter Frampton from his Humble Pie days. I never followed that band and so turned to You/Tube. Do you know there are not many Humble Pie videos up at all. I wonder if you remember if they were popular here in the States or not?

I did find one, a rare early one and my question or maybe comment is, why the heck isn't Peter singing on this song? I guess that is why he left the band. I didn't research it any further but this is a very nice acoustic cover of ironically Jimmy's old band The Yardbird's "For Your Love."

See what you think and get well Peter Frampton. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTxPWB_kZvM&feature=related

Jahfin, thanks for the link. Wow, hate to think how that accident could have been even worse for both parties all due to texting while driving. I can not understand why that is permitted in any state if it still is....It reminds me of the long ago Brady Bunch episode where Greg hit someone (or almost did) looking at the back of a new record album while driving.

Another thing Jahfin, is I figured since I was going to post I'd put up a video of Peter Frampton from his Humble Pie days. I never followed that band and so turned to You/Tube. Do you know there are not many Humble Pie videos up at all. I wonder if you remember if they were popular here in the States or not?

I did find one, a rare early one and my question or maybe comment is, why the heck isn't Peter singing on this song? I guess that is why he left the band. I didn't research it any further but this is a very nice acoustic cover of ironically Jimmy's old band The Yardbird's "For Your Love."

See what you think and get well Peter Frampton. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTxPWB_kZvM&feature=related

Oh yes they certainly were popular. In my top 5 live albums of all time is Performance Rocking The Fillmore. A classic recording from 1971. Oh boy it is really heavy

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...