Plant Krauss to record follow-up to Raising Sand

chunga

I'm not from the US but I find this sort of talk offensive too. And boring. :rant:

If you do not live here how could it offend you? Unless your looking for something to complain about. I agree North Carolina has come a long way in the past 2 decades. But coming a long way still needs more work. I sure know I wish my language was not screwed up when I went up north to class and everyone claiming it was alright to tawk disaway. Caint you see? I had to stay after classes for it :rant: Until my English teacher had it beat out of me.

I lived in Buncombe county in the 1990's. My children went to school at Glen Arden which at that time was the best school in the county. I remember the problems with the schools. It was really bad. A lot of the problems had to do with funding. The parents of the Glen Arden students were a great bunch. They spent a lot time and money to make it a better school and it paid off. GA had the highest grades and the least amount state and local funding.

I love Buncombe county but I met some of the oddest people and saw some crazy stuff that makes you go :blink: I've lived in the North and the South and traveled the U.S. but Buncombe has the wackiest people. :D

I lived in Buncombe county in the 1990's. My children went to school at Glen Arden which at that time was the best school in the county. I remember the problems with the schools. It was really bad. A lot of the problems had to do with funding. The parents of the Glen Arden students were a great bunch. They spent a lot time and money to make it a better school and it paid off. GA had the highest grades and the least amount state and local funding.

I love Buncombe county but I met some of the oddest people and saw some crazy stuff that makes you go :blink: I've lived in the North and the South and traveled the U.S. but Buncombe has the wackiest people. :D

One of my friends was born in Georgia and went to school in Alabama.

She would agree.

does not remind me of the educational challenges that the South has experienced though.

:thumbsup: Me too. And whatshisname IS right about that part of North Carolina.

Sure rich folk from the north send their kids to Duke, Wake, etc, etc. But, in the western counties, like Buncombe, the drop-out rate is one of the highest in the country. Many people didn't go beyond 8th grade. A high rate of illiterate people. That's just the way it is.

My kid couldn't even take a book home for homework because they never had enough for everyone.

Once she got to high school it was a little better. North Buncombe...had a lot of old money and transplants with big money. That helped.

oopps... :offtopic: again................

:thumbsup: Me too. And whatshisname IS right about that part of North Carolina.

Sure rich folk from the north send their kids to Duke, Wake, etc, etc. But, in the western counties, like Buncombe, the drop-out rate is one of the highest in the country. Many people didn't go beyond 8th grade. A high rate of illiterate people. That's just the way it is.

My kid couldn't even take a book home for homework because they never had enough for everyone.

Once she got to high school it was a little better. North Buncombe...had a lot of old money and transplants with big money. That helped.

oopps... :offtopic: again................

Some sunny day, baby...

Been at both of them. This does not change the fact Buncombe County is full of illiterates....anyhow get to your point please?

Pockets of illiteracy can be found in all 50 states. Maybe Honey can find the statistics and link them, but inner cities in the Northeast have issues with high-school dropouts. That is no reason to stereotype people or specific geographic regions. I am from a poor county in Southern Appalachia and my siblings and I all have college degrees and successful careers.

I hope Sam moves all this garbage to the Ramble On forum, it really does not apply to Raising Sand or Plant or Krauss.

:rolleyes:

Pockets of illiteracy can be found in all 50 states. Maybe Honey can find the statistics and link them, but inner cities in the Northeast have issues with high-school dropouts. That is no reason to stereotype people or specific geographic regions. I am from a poor county in Southern Appalachia and my siblings and I all have college degrees and successful careers.

I hope Sam moves all this garbage to the Ramble On forum, it really does not apply to Raising Sand or Plant or Krauss.

At the moment I am busy and prefer not to go on a wild goose chase searching for statistics to suit your whim.

Hope you don't mind.

Speaking of Raising Sand, I like this song.

I do believe she is a country girl (Alison.) Alright she's from Alabama (I think). However you were dead wrong on this one. I am not a mean person, and I am not a racist or will I leave people hanging on a limb I put them on.

There needs to be more awareness about this rather than people denying it. Denial my dear is what helps this problem stay a major problem.

The articles are many, but you may start here:

http://www.unctv.org/literacy/

Everyone is not illiterate, but one in 4 is a VERY HIGH STATISTIC Kentuck..

I do wish I had time to look for the proper article, however I don't remember if it was in Ask Asheville Journals or The Citizen Times. A few weeks ago the front page if the Citizen Times read.

We Can Be Expecting Alot More Rain....

I emailed them on this and they said they could not find the problem with it.

I do believe she is a country girl (Alison.) Alright she's from Alabama (I think). However you were dead wrong on this one. I am not a mean person, and I am not a racist or will I leave people hanging on a limb I put them on.

There needs to be more awareness about this rather than people denying it. Denial my dear is what helps this problem stay a major problem.

The articles are many, but you may start here:

http://www.unctv.org/literacy/

Everyone is not illiterate, but one in 4 is a VERY HIGH STATISTIC Kentuck..

I do wish I had time to look for the proper article, however I don't remember if it was in Ask Asheville Journals or The Citizen Times. A few weeks ago the front page if the Citizen Times read.

We Can Be Expecting Alot More Rain....

I emailed them on this and they said they could not find the problem with it.

Alison is from Illinois. Specifically the Champaign-Urbana area. She and her family relocated to Tennessee only after she became a successful Bluegrass artist. Please research your subject better before making rash judgements about others, I can assure you that Alison and her family are quite literate.

Alison is from Illinois. Specifically the Champaign-Urbana area. She and her family relocated to Tennessee only after she became a successful Bluegrass artist. Please research your subject better before making rash judgements about others, I can assure you that Alison and her family are quite literate.

You're the one tossing dead cats. I never implied Alison was illiterate.

You implied it..

You're the one tossing dead cats. I never implied Alison was illiterate.

You implied it..

I just assumed that your grossly inaccurate statement that she was from Alabama was an accusation, given your method of reasoning regarding the Southern USA.

:beat:

I just assumed that your grossly inaccurate statement that she was from Alabama was an accusation, given your method of reasoning regarding the Southern USA.

:beat:

Leave my horse outta this :D Good morning Kentuck, I actually love the south or I would not live here. Now back to Planty..

alison-krauss.jpg

Planty teams up with younger singer?

• 2 weeks later...

You're welcome, Deborah. I bought it the day it was released, too.

Got to see them perform at Chastain last August (2nd row). :D

Was hoping they would be done with the record, so they could maybe do a few live appearances with the new material.

R B)

I wonder if contra-dancing will result in any further collaboration between them. Based on the publications, Robert was willing to make the second record with T-Bone and Allison. But he seems to be back home now, keeping us guessing.

I wonder if contra-dancing will result in any further collaboration between them. Based on the publications, Robert was willing to make the second record with T-Bone and Allison. But he seems to be back home now, keeping us guessing.

Alison seem to be going through a gospel phase at the moment, singing from a Baptist Hymnal at the Opry (this past weekend). She is also recording with Union Station. However, Nashville musicians work year-round and never seem to take a break, so they could easily change course and work on something else.

Alison seem to be going through a gospel phase at the moment, singing from a Baptist Hymnal at the Opry (this past weekend). She is also recording with Union Station. However, Nashville musicians work year-round and never seem to take a break, so they could easily change course and work on something else.

:thumbsup: Kentucky, this is great, thanks so much for the update and "insider" info! Hope we'll find out which way the wind blows before long... ;)

:thumbsup: Kentucky, this is great, thanks so much for the update and "insider" info! Hope we'll find out which way the wind blows before long... ;)

Happy to help, but my "insider" information comes from The Tennessean and the Nashville Scene. I do have relatives that are Bluegrass musicians but none of them were involved with the RPAK project, unfortunately.

Happy to help, but my "insider" information comes from The Tennessean and the Nashville Scene. I do have relatives that are Bluegrass musicians but none of them were involved with the RPAK project, unfortunately.

For the "outsider" like myself, just living in that area is enought to make an "insider" of any Nashville citizen (By the way, would that be Nashvill...er ?... out of purely academic interest)

;)

Archived