Plant Krauss to record follow-up to Raising Sand

chunga

I believe T-Bone has said that if they continue with a 2nd album it wouldn't have to interfere with any other project Robert wanted to be involved with implying a Zeppelin tour, which he seemed to be quite keen for. At this point, it doesn't seem likely but I don't think we can blame Alison and T-bone if it doesn't happen.

In fact, although I loved the O2 show and would see them again in a heartbeat, Led Zep is from another era that can't be brought back: the late 60s/70s. In other words, I'm not sure a world tour would be the time machine that many fans are hoping for. I believe Robert understands this. Afterall, the original music, although timeless, is the music of youth and rebellion (against social norms, etc). Sometimes, as you get older, the nostalgia thing begins to wear a bit thin. Novelty becomes far more important, particulary for personal growth.

Uh oh... a reasonable and sensible post...

I don't necessarily agree with all of it, but it's nice to read a sensible reply.

"Prior commitments until the fall" means what it means. It doesn't promise Robert would return. But it doesn't rule it out either. It says his schedule would free up in the fall and presumably another band meeting would take place then. That means as far as Jimmy knew at the time, Robert was going to CONSIDER Zep activity in the fall. Obviously between when he said that, and quite recently, the situation changed, after Jimmy and JPJ had left their schedule open for him for months. I think it's a pretty crappy thing to do to leave them hanging like that.

So , JPJ and Jimmy leave their schedules open for months waiting for Robert, based upon 'presumably', 'doesn't promise... doesn't rule it out'...

You're saying that Jimmy and Jonesy stopped working on solo projects and left their schedules open based upon a 'maybe'? :huh:

Robert's decision will likely put the final nails in the coffin whether he remains open to future Zep activity in the farther future or not. Once all three of them get busy again, the planets will never realign.

I get the feeling that if the Plant Krauss tour, etc. came to a screeching halt and Plant hurried over to tell Jimmy and JPJ that he was ready, and Jimmy said no, not now cuz he had a hangnail, it would somehow be Robert's fault for not arriving sooner with a nail clipper.

So , JPJ and Jimmy leave their schedules open for months waiting for Robert, based upon 'presumably', 'doesn't promise... doesn't rule it out'...

You're saying that Jimmy and Jonesy stopped working on solo projects and left their schedules open based upon a 'maybe'? :huh:

Especially since Jimmy's 'schedule' for the last few years appears to have revolved around award ceremonies and dinners with Ross Halfin.

I love Jimmy, but it shows how ridiculous this is getting when people accuse Robert of forcing him to postpone his 'schedule'. I'm afraid no-one can argue about his creative output in the last few years.

Jimmy's comment about Robert's commitments was factual, and ALL it meant was what it actually said. Any other meanings are ENTIRELY in the ear of the listener - FACT- and to blame Robert for your own interpretations being off-base is just crazy.

no, it wouldn't be Zeppelin. I was saying I would love for them to get together like that. It'd be great, but I still wouldn't call it Zeppelin. I'd love to hear them do something like you'd hear on Led Zeppelin III. I could imagine Allison singing That's The Way or Tangerine

Actually, I think it would be a great idea. As you say, not as Led Zeppelin but Page and Jones recording something with some unknown hot belter of a chick singer is something that I thought should have happened years ago. There are no male singers ( that I can think of ) that could pull it off. Has to be new material though

He's selfish! :D

Oh yes. I don't understand it either. If I were him, I wouldn't want to do anything else than sing the same old songs in front of all these people who constantly criticize him for everything he does. Such wonderful audience.

"Prior commitments until the fall" means what it means. It doesn't promise Robert would return. But it doesn't rule it out either. It says his schedule would free up in the fall and presumably another band meeting would take place then. That means as far as Jimmy knew at the time, Robert was going to CONSIDER Zep activity in the fall. Obviously between when he said that, and quite recently, the situation changed, after Jimmy and JPJ had left their schedule open for him for months. I think it's a pretty crappy thing to do to leave them hanging like that.

Robert's decision will likely put the final nails in the coffin whether he remains open to future Zep activity in the farther future or not. Once all three of them get busy again, the planets will never realign.

Damn straight.

Things change, schedules change. No one's holding a gun to Jimmy's head stopping him from pursuing his own plans ya know. Bottom line is we are all responsible for our own lives and the choices/decisions we make. It's not Robert or anyone's fault what Jimmy does or doesn't do and saying it's crappy or unfair blah blah blah is ridiculous.

This is getting really old. Anyone with half a brain knows Plant will do what he wants when he wants. I think that's just fine. I personally wouldn't want him or Page doing something ..just because. I'd rather Page, Jones and hopefully Bonham just got on with things and come what may. Same for Plant.

This is getting really old. Anyone with half a brain knows Plant will do what he wants when he wants. I think that's just fine. I personally wouldn't want him or Page doing something ..just because. I'd rather Page, Jones and hopefully Bonham just got on with things and come what may. Same for Plant.

It is old and I fear it will never go away. Robert could agree to do a world tour for a year with Zep and somehow, he'd still be at fault :(

It is old and I fear it will never go away. Robert could agree to do a world tour for a year with Zep and somehow, he'd still be at fault :(

Ha Ha. Your probably right. :D I wish I had a crystal ball but alas, I don't

I'm surprised nobody has suggested that this new album may not sound anything like Raising Sand. I could easily see Robert and Alison going in quite another direction from the country/folk/rockabilly sound they current have and going for something else. I think Robert is consciously trying to veer away from the blues at the moment, so I could see him diving into eastern music again, while I could see Krauss trying on her blues-belter persona which she only test drove on Raising Sand. Maybe they will actually compose some new material instead of just obscure songs.

I didn't know what to expect from Raising Sand and was blown away by the depth that was there. My only fear is now that I have high expectations that I'm expecting something that no second act could really accomplish.

I'm surprised nobody has suggested that this new album may not sound anything like Raising Sand. I could easily see Robert and Alison going in quite another direction from the country/folk/rockabilly sound they current have and going for something else. I think Robert is consciously trying to veer away from the blues at the moment, so I could see him diving into eastern music again, while I could see Krauss trying on her blues-belter persona which she only test drove on Raising Sand. Maybe they will actually compose some new material instead of just obscure songs.

I didn't know what to expect from Raising Sand and was blown away by the depth that was there. My only fear is now that I have high expectations that I'm expecting something that no second act could really accomplish.

Good points. I would suspect the follow up will not be a "Raising Sand" part II as Robert isn't one to do a repeat of what he's already done. There could very well be some original tunes on there with a mix of other aspects of roots music. We shall see!

Here's a shortlist/wishlist of songs I would like Plant & Krauss to do if they do more covers:

- Baby, Let Me Follow You Down (Traditional)

- Jolene (Dolly Parton)

- Gotta Dance To Keep From Cryin' (Brian Holland/Lamont Dozier/Edward Holland, Jr.)

- Hey, Good Lookin' (Hank Williams)

- A Man Of Constant Sorrow (Traditional)

- Black Country Women (Jimmy Page/Robert Plant) <-- If anyone saw them live, you know how powerful this can be

i'd personally prefer original music on the next album, but if i had to see another 'songbook" collection, they could do alot worse than raiding the carter family catalogue for the best and most versatile in bluegrass, country, and folk.

"homestead on the farm" and "gold watch and chain" are personal favorites i would like to see them do...

i'd personally prefer original music on the next album, but if i had to see another 'songbook" collection, they could do alot worse than raiding the carter family catalogue for the best and most versatile in bluegrass, country, and folk.

"homestead on the farm" and "gold watch and chain" are personal favorites i would like to see them do...

Can you imagine how Alison would sound on those songs? :D

Can you imagine how Alison would sound on those songs? :D

of course i can! emmylou did "goldwatch and chain" once and i fell in love with that version, too.

i also wouldn't mind page and jones taking a run at "black mountain rag".....

Actually, I think it would be a great idea. As you say, not as Led Zeppelin but Page and Jones recording something with some unknown hot belter of a chick singer is something that I thought should have happened years ago. There are no male singers ( that I can think of ) that could pull it off. Has to be new material though

I know, im the one that proposed the idea to begin with on this thread :/

im just saying i still wouldn't call it "Led Zeppelin"

Archived