Proof that Robert is a Doors fan!

This little story arrived in my e-mail courtesy of The Doors fan/collectors site doors.com:

Proof That Robert Plant is a Doors Fan!

Darryl Alber (Sayville, NY) had a chance encounter with Robert Plant when he took his family summer vacation to Memphis, TN earlier this month. Darryl knew Plant was playing in Memphis on the 8th so he surmised that he would be staying at the famous Peabody Hotel. It's the 5 star place that has the ducks that walk down a red carpet into an elevator everyday @ 11am. For those of you familiar with the Memphis landscape, Lansky Clothing shop is situated next door… Lansky was pretty much Elvis' exclusive clothier from '56 till his death.

After Darryl and family watched the ducks, he looked over and Robert Plant was right there in the hotel gift shop buying gum and a magazine. “Man did he look like a rock star complete with a lovely lady by his side. He was wearing a brown Doors' Morrison Hotel t-shirt and the rings and bracelets that I had seen many times during midnight movie showings of ‘The Song Remains The Same.’”

Darryl’s wife grabbed the camera and took the photo below.

RobertPlant.jpg

He's always liked the Doors far as I knew. He used to sing Break on Through during the 88 tour.

Actually, IMHO, I don't think he 'always' liked the Doors. I may be wrong but I think it was Phil Johnstone that influenced him around that time to revise his opinion of them. I can remember Robert introducing Break On Through at one of the gigs as " a song I never thought I would end up singing but I'm now glad I am " ( or something similar)

I also remember reading a quote from Robert talking about the very early days of Zep and that parrticular era talking about " people watching Morrison, arms outstretched up to him as if he was a god and I'm thinking " No you're not ! "

i seem to remember an interview where he said (something like):

"i have so much more time now for the doors than i used to. they're not like the stones, i don't think young people buy stones albums. the doors are timeless....."

That's right, Robert had made several mildly disparaging comments about The Doors in days of yore but has since come around to the right way of thinking :) I remember in the late 80's or so, Robert gave the band a rather back-handed compliment by saying he used to hear "Hello I Love You" on the radio when it was a hit, and he thought The Doors were cheesy, but as time went on he grew to have an appreciation for the music. Maybe it was the IMAGE that initially put him off. Ironic, because Led Zeppelin's image has been known to keep people away/keep folks from listening to the music seriously as well.

Also, there were some folks on this forum (the old version) who said that Robert criticised the Doors in the British press back in 1969, after Zep and the Doors played the Seattle Pop Festival. Apparently, Jim was very drunk and abusive to the audience on that particular day, and Robert thought it heavy and uncool [kidding - I've never read the article(s) so I don't know what he said, but he didn't like it, man]

This little story arrived in my e-mail courtesy of The Doors fan/collectors site doors.com:

Proof That Robert Plant is a Doors Fan!

Darryl Alber (Sayville, NY) had a chance encounter with Robert Plant when he took his family summer vacation to Memphis, TN earlier this month. Darryl knew Plant was playing in Memphis on the 8th so he surmised that he would be staying at the famous Peabody Hotel. It's the 5 star place that has the ducks that walk down a red carpet into an elevator everyday @ 11am. For those of you familiar with the Memphis landscape, Lansky Clothing shop is situated next door… Lansky was pretty much Elvis' exclusive clothier from '56 till his death.

After Darryl and family watched the ducks, he looked over and Robert Plant was right there in the hotel gift shop buying gum and a magazine. “Man did he look like a rock star complete with a lovely lady by his side. He was wearing a brown Doors' Morrison Hotel t-shirt and the rings and bracelets that I had seen many times during midnight movie showings of ‘The Song Remains The Same.’”

Darryl’s wife grabbed the camera and took the photo below.

RobertPlant.jpg

Thanks for posting! What a fantastic experience for that guy! I used to wonder if, out of curiosity, during the early years when Zep guys were in LA, any of them ever visited the Morrison Hotel and the old Hard Rock Cafe. Being a huge fan of the Doors, my husband was more interested in visiting that than the "Riot House" so I brought him to downtown LA.

That's right, Robert had made several mildly disparaging comments about The Doors in days of yore but has since come around to the right way of thinking :) I remember in the late 80's or so, Robert gave the band a rather back-handed compliment by saying he used to hear "Hello I Love You" on the radio when it was a hit, and he thought The Doors were cheesy, but as time went on he grew to have an appreciation for the music. Maybe it was the IMAGE that initially put him off. Ironic, because Led Zeppelin's image has been known to keep people away/keep folks from listening to the music seriously as well.

Also, there were some folks on this forum (the old version) who said that Robert criticised the Doors in the British press back in 1969, after Zep and the Doors played the Seattle Pop Festival. Apparently, Jim was very drunk and abusive to the audience on that particular day, and Robert thought it heavy and uncool [kidding - I've never read the article(s) so I don't know what he said, but he didn't like it, man]

I remember reading similar things about Robert and Jim Morrison. That's another piece of LA rock history I used to wonder about: did the Zep guys ever cross paths (or hang out with) with Jim Morrison and the other members of the Doors when they were in LA?

i seem to remember an interview where he said (something like):

"i have so much more time now for the doors than i used to. they're not like the stones, i don't think young people buy stones albums. the doors are timeless....."

God he's so wrong!

Being a huge fan of the Doors, my husband was more interested in visiting that than the "Riot House" so I brought him to downtown LA.

I know my husband would be the same way- I'm the Zeppelin fanatic & he loves the Doors! I buy him the Bright Midnight releases for birthday & Christmas gifts, and he gets me Zep stuff. :)

I know my husband would be the same way- I'm the Zeppelin fanatic & he loves the Doors!

Did you know the Led Zeppelin "Break Through" advertising campaign with Cadillac came about because the surviving Doors balked at the figures to use "Break On Through"? It's

true.

Did you know the Led Zeppelin "Break Through" advertising campaign with Cadillac came about because the surviving Doors balked at the figures to use "Break On Through"? It's

true.

No I didn't- I couldn't figure out why Cadillac used that phrase, but now it all makes sense- thanks!

john densmore balked-the other 2 doors were keen, especially ray manzerek. be that as it may, jim morrison had installed a unanimous vote rule when the group was formed that survives to this day...

john densmore balked-the other 2 doors were keen, especially ray manzerek. be that as it may, jim morrison had installed a unanimous vote rule when the group was formed that survives to this day...

I've posted this before, under the Doors thread:

From The Nation, June 20, 2002

Riders on the Storm

By John Densmore

Dread ripples through me as I listen to a phone message from our manager saying that we (The Doors) have another offer of huge amounts of money if we would just allow one of our songs to be used as the background for a commercial. They don't give up! I guess it's hard to imagine that everybody doesn't have a price. Maybe 'cause, as the cement heads try to pave the entire world, they're paving their inner world as well. No imagination left upstairs. CONTINUED

here's my favorite part of that article:

"It all started in 1967, when Buick proffered $75,000 to use "Light My Fire" to hawk its new hot little offering--the Opel. As the story goes--which everyone knows who's read my autobiography or seen Oliver Stone's movie--Ray, Robby and John (that's me) OK'd it, while Jim was out of town. He came back and went nuts. And it wasn't even his song (Robby primarily having penned "LMF")! In retrospect, his calling up Buick and saying that if they aired the ad, he'd smash an Opel on television with a sledgehammer was fantastic! I guess that's one of the reasons I miss the guy. "

On a visit to LA in the late 80's, I was taken aback at the "spirit" of Jim Morrison and The Doos, that still is in those Hollywood Hills...

I'm sensitive to such things..... and IT"S THERE....

Leather pants, and all ....

(In other words.... whaterver spirit was behind The Doors.... is still out there.... in those California Hills...)

And that's ALL I have to say about it. Check it out for yourself.

I magine many areas/cities have their spirits that reside...

On a visit to LA in the late 80's, I was taken aback at the "spirit" of Jim Morrison and The Doos, that still is in those Hollywood Hills...

(In other words.... whaterver spirit was behind The Doors.... is still out there.... in those California Hills...)

Jim Morrison wrote a song about it.

Well, I just got into town about an hour ago

Took a look around, see which way the wind blow

Where the little girls in their Hollywood bungalows

Are you a lucky little lady in the City of Light

Or just another lost angel...City of Night

City of Night, City of Night, City of Night, woo, c'mon

L.A. Woman, L.A. Woman

L.A. Woman Sunday afternoon

Drive thru your suburbs

Into your blues, into your blues, yeah

Into your blue-blue Blues

Into your blues, ohh, yeah

I see your hair is burnin'

Hills are filled with fire

If they say I never loved you

You know they are a liar

Love that's real will not fade away

-Buddy Holly

Page & Plant played Break On Through during the Whole Lotta Love medley at the '96 Sydney concert.

Also there is a link, sort of......

The album HOTH hasn't got the title track on it and neither does Waiting For The Sun.

Bless you for saying that, Rover - it's very, very true. There's such a palpable sense of Jim & The Doors in some places that I've taken to referring to West Hollywood & Laurel Canyon as "Jim Morrison Country". :) Of course, I don't claim to be an objective observer, but I see and feel the lingering resonance of Jim's life and words all over that town.

Archived