Anyone watching the Hambletonian?

Medhb

Dowecheatemandhow is going into the race undefeated!! They're going to show the Hambletonian Oaks - for fillys RIGHT NOW!!

I alwasy get chills watching this race...we owned and trained a Hambletonian winner, nothing feels like wining that race! (if your in the Standardbred industry)

Dowecheatemandhow is going into the race undefeated!! They're going to show the Hambletonian Oaks - for fillys RIGHT NOW!!

I alwasy get chills watching this race...we owned and trained a Hambletonian winner, nothing feels like wining that race! (if your in the Standardbred industry)

Creamy Mimi in 153.4!! Too bad the track is a tad sloppy from the rain...upset at 12-1

Mimi's trying to eat her flowers, Ahahahhaha!!

83rd Hambletonian winner Dewiecheatmeandhowe!!!!! 1:53 and undefeated! I'm so happy for the Schnittker family!!! Goosebumps, chills, and tears....every year this happens to me but to see this horse go undefeated...truly a world champion!

dewey_checkin.jpg

i graduated from duquoin high school in 1980-the last year the hambletonian was held there. i saw 7 of these races and always worked the grandstand during....a truly awesome event. i've never attended one since the move, but have always watched any harness racing where ever i chance upon it (and usually clean-up at the window).

speedy somali-that was a horse!

i graduated from duquoin high school in 1980-the last year the hambletonian was held there. i saw 7 of these races and always worked the grandstand during....a truly awesome event. i've never attended one since the move, but have always watched any harness racing where ever i chance upon it (and usually clean-up at the window).

speedy somali-that was a horse!

Oh Beatbo!! I'm so glad I'm not being self indulgent and someone else has an interest in this. Yes, it was a rather sad day when it was moved from Duquoin to the Meadowlands, and now, they don't have to win 2 heats in the same day. I just think it kinda takes away from what the Hambletonian stands for.

The year we won it our horse raced 3 heats because he got nipped by a nose...ending in a 3 horse race off....let me tell you, our stomachs were in our throats. Such beautiful noble animals!

I actually attended the Meadowlands Pace last week. It was sad to see the favorite get beat...but, that's horseracing! Trotters are trickier though, anything can happen to cause them to break stride.

Yup! Speedy Somali, he was a good one!! Man, I miss the horses this time of year with all the big races!!

Medhb, I was a big harness racing fan in the 70s- might I have heard of your horse? At one time I had memorized the names of all the Hambletonian winners. I was like 12 or 13 then, and I kept begging my mom to take me to Roosevelt Raceway, but she said our car was in bad shape & couldn't make it that far. :(

I didn't even know the Hambletonian was on today, I wish I had known.

Medhb, I was a big harness racing fan in the 70s- might I have heard of your horse? At one time I had memorized the names of all the Hambletonian winners. I was like 12 or 13 then, and I kept begging my mom to take me to Roosevelt Raceway, but she said our car was in bad shape & couldn't make it that far. :(

I didn't even know the Hambletonian was on today, I wish I had known.

Too cool to find another Standarbred fan on the site! I've raced in exhibition races, it's quite the rush!!

Here's the 3 horse raceoff of the 1981 Hamletonian - first time held at the Meadowlands. This was the third heat for all 3 horses on a slow track...had rained all day...St. Pat was the backstretch favorite. He was high strung as hell and he could fly....breaking gait was always a fear with him though due to his high temperment! He's still alive, can you believe it?! I love that horse...

Too cool to find another Standarbred fan on the site! I've raced in exhibition races, it's quite the rush!!

Here's the 3 horse raceoff of the 1981 Hamletonian - first time held at the Meadowlands. This was the third heat for all 3 horses on a slow track...had rained all day...St. Pat was the backstretch favorite. He was high strung as hell and he could fly....breaking gait was always a fear with him though due to his high temperment! He's still alive, can you believe it?! I love that horse...

OMG Shiaway St. Pat was your horse? I remember watching that race- what an amazing finish! It reminded me of the first Hambo I saw (1975 at DuQuoin), Bonefish held off Yankee Bambino in the 4th heat by a nose. And St. Pat is still alive-wow! He's 30! Good for him! (I love horses)

And you've driven in exhibition races- cool! I remember telling my mom that I was going to be a harness driver just like Herve Filion and she looked at me like I had 2 heads. I had never heard of any female drivers at Roosevelt & Yonkers so I wanted to be the first one - well that never happened

but I still love the sport even though I don't follow it as closely like I used to.

OMG Shiaway St. Pat was your horse? I remember watching that race- what an amazing finish! It reminded me of the first Hambo I saw (1975 at DuQuoin), Bonefish held off Yankee Bambino in the 4th heat by a nose. And St. Pat is still alive-wow! He's 30! Good for him! (I love horses)

And you've driven in exhibition races- cool! I remember telling my mom that I was going to be a harness driver just like Herve Filion and she looked at me like I had 2 heads. I had never heard of any female drivers at Roosevelt & Yonkers so I wanted to be the first one - well that never happened

but I still love the sport even though I don't follow it as closely like I used to.

THAT is most awesome! It is a fun occupation that is for sure! The daily interaction with the horses was incredible! I have to say that was my favorite job. I just couldn't take the no holidays or vacations or beneifits thing anymore. I do wish I went into driving. I used to work with this 'kid'. Sometimes we'd swap jobs, like I''l excercise all your horses today if you do my stalls. Anyway, he could NOT excercise half my horses!! One of them he came off the track in tears with. These were horses I had no problems controlling.....20 years later he's being harolded as the rising star at the Meadowlands...gag me with a spoon! If HE can drive I could been a superstar! I always looked up to Bea Farber, she was the best and Gerry Spindler was pretty good too. She'd do everything, groom the horse, warm it up and drive it, all without any help. AND she was stunningly beautiful! Never knew what happened with her though.

Great to meet a fellow horse lover!!

Archived