I Need Help cuz i don't know crap about guitars!

LedNoodle

alright, here's the story so far: About one year ago I got a squier strat for my birthday. I had never played guitar before. I really love music in my life, and i love playing guitar. I have an insanely good ear and can sound out most anything, and despite the fact i have little actual musical experience with guitar (i have played french horn in band for like 7 years), I would like to upgrade to a better guitar, preferably something that isn't a strat. Don't get me wrong, i love it, but i'd like to be able to get a warmer sound without sacrificing distortion and clarity. Something good for hard rock/blues-rock/more hard rock playing. I'm also on a very small budget.

I need help.

Also, I've been playing on a Crate amp that is at least 20 years old, probably a lot more. I can hook it up to my stereo speakers, but i need some advice there, too.

Educate me!

alright, here's the story so far: About one year ago I got a squier strat for my birthday. I had never played guitar before. I really love music in my life, and i love playing guitar. I have an insanely good ear and can sound out most anything, and despite the fact i have little actual musical experience with guitar (i have played french horn in band for like 7 years), I would like to upgrade to a better guitar, preferably something that isn't a strat. Don't get me wrong, i love it, but i'd like to be able to get a warmer sound without sacrificing distortion and clarity. Something good for hard rock/blues-rock/more hard rock playing. I'm also on a very small budget.

I need help.

Also, I've been playing on a Crate amp that is at least 20 years old, probably a lot more. I can hook it up to my stereo speakers, but i need some advice there, too.

Educate me!

wouldn't hook a guitar amp straight into yr stereo speakers, your stereo is not made for the sudden bursts in volume that an electric guitar can make, you may damage yr stereo speakers, i do it it sometimes, but i have i plug the guitar into the break out box of a good sound card, run it through the pc stereo speakers, that way the sound card neutralises any harshness that would ordinarily would damage the speakers.

$250 is your budget... that's fairly small, however, you should be able to pick up something decent.

if i were you i'd:

i) take a trip to the biggest el guitar shop around, and play the guitars in your budget range.

ii) the long winded way: look on ebay, sometimes you can find real real bargains, especially witht the econmic climate now. i bought a guitar from ebay and had been played for approximately 1 hr, i basically saved myself 60% on this particular guitar, in your terms you could find yrself a real nice guitar on ebay. if you dont haave an ebay account, get one, or ask for help with a friend/family memebr who may have an ebay account. a word of warning, be very discerning when buying from ebay, make sure they are seeling you a "guitar", rather than "here's a lovely picture of a epiphone les paul for $4 !"

in addition be v careful of people who have no feedback. buying anything in a virtual auction room can be very dodgy, however, there are some people who are geniunely in a sticky situation finacially and need cash desperately and sell things for silly money, ive used ebay once, but it took me about a month of searching to find and nail what i was looking for and am extremely happy with it, the cahp i bought the guitar from had made dozens of transactions on ebay and had a 100% feedback score.

iii) look in second hand column of your local paper.

iv) increase yr budget even, an extra $100 may broaden yr options.

hope this helps

paul.

wouldn't hook a guitar amp straight into yr stereo speakers, your stereo is not made for the sudden bursts in volume that an electric guitar can make, you may damage yr stereo speakers, i do it it sometimes, but i have i plug the guitar into the break out box of a good sound card, run it through the pc stereo speakers, that way the sound card neutralises any harshness that would ordinarily would damage the speakers.

$250 is your budget... that's fairly small, however, you should be able to pick up something decent.

if i were you i'd:

i) take a trip to the biggest el guitar shop around, and play the guitars in your budget range.

ii) the long winded way: look on ebay, sometimes you can find real real bargains, especially witht the econmic climate now. i bought a guitar from ebay and had been played for approximately 1 hr, i basically saved myself 60% on this particular guitar, in your terms you could find yrself a real nice guitar on ebay. if you dont haave an ebay account, get one, or ask for help with a friend/family memebr who may have an ebay account. a word of warning, be very discerning when buying from ebay, make sure they are seeling you a "guitar", rather than "here's a lovely picture of a epiphone les paul for $4 !"

in addition be v careful of people who have no feedback. buying anything in a virtual auction room can be very dodgy, however, there are some people who are geniunely in a sticky situation finacially and need cash desperately and sell things for silly money, ive used ebay once, but it took me about a month of searching to find and nail what i was looking for and am extremely happy with it, the cahp i bought the guitar from had made dozens of transactions on ebay and had a 100% feedback score.

iii) look in second hand column of your local paper.

iv) increase yr budget even, an extra $100 may broaden yr options.

hope this helps

paul.

thank you very much. that was helpful. I know eBay very well, and have lots of experience buying and selling, but i was still hoping to get one new that i can check out first. I just don't know much about the different brands of guitar and such and what kind of sound i can get from each and what's different.

and when i hook it up to my stereo, it goes through the actual stereo, not straight to the speakers. If they can handle I Can See For Miles on full blast they can handle my guitar.

anyway, thank you for helping.

thank you very much. that was helpful. I know eBay very well, and have lots of experience buying and selling, but i was still hoping to get one new that i can check out first. I just don't know much about the different brands of guitar and such and what kind of sound i can get from each and what's different.

and when i hook it up to my stereo, it goes through the actual stereo, not straight to the speakers. If they can handle I Can See For Miles on full blast they can handle my guitar.

anyway, thank you for helping.

you may still damage your apeakers in the long run, perhps have your volume low, wen i was starting out, in your situation, id do exactly the asme, but wear headphones,

yamaha pacifica 112, is perhaps the best guitar in this range, has been around since about '95 and has a mumbucker pick up at the bridge

also Ibanez RG2EX1

i find this one of my fav pages regarding musical instruments, its on the "el guitar $200 -$300" section, some extremely nice guitars,

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/navigat...100001+304275+9

remember "humbucker" pickups are gernerally more rock sounding

whilst single coil are more compatible with most types of music.

paul

you may still damage your apeakers in the long run, perhps have your volume low, wen i was starting out, in your situation, id do exactly the asme, but wear headphones,

yamaha pacifica 112, is perhaps the best guitar in this range, has been around since about '95 and has a mumbucker pick up at the bridge

also Ibanez RG2EX1

i find this one of my fav pages regarding musical instruments, its on the "el guitar $200 -$300" section, some extremely nice guitars,

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/navigat...100001+304275+9

remember "humbucker" pickups are gernerally more rock sounding

whilst single coil are more compatible with most types of music.

paul

thank you very much. very helpful.

and i have messed with the volume and equalizers to where i think its impossible to damage them. they're nice speakers, too.

this looks like something i'm looking for: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=518291V

thank you very much. very helpful.

and i have messed with the volume and equalizers to where i think its impossible to damage them. they're nice speakers, too.

this looks like something i'm looking for: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=518291V

hello again,

that looks a nice guitar, epiphone like gibson can be hit and miss wen it comes to quality control, see if you can try 1 out at yr local guitar shop, good deal for a solid mahogony sg epiphone, in the uk, this guitar is approx the equivalent of $400, only order from the web if yoy are sure as you obvioulsy dont have the oppurtunity to play b4 parting with yr money.

LedNoodle:

Don't buy a guitar from ebay, or any other on-line source, for that matter. A guitar is a very personal thing, and it's never a good idea to buy something you've not played. All guitars are different, and can vary significantly, even between samples of the same model.

Get yourself to a well stocked store and play the instruments in your price range. If you don't find anything you like, just leave and try another day. Alternatively, play instruments that are above your range, and if you like something then save for longer. A compromise, or stop-gap instrument is just not worth it.

RB

LedNoodle:

Don't buy a guitar from ebay, or any other on-line source, for that matter. A guitar is a very personal thing, and it's never a good idea to buy something you've not played. All guitars are different, and can vary significantly, even between samples of the same model.

Get yourself to a well stocked store and play the instruments in your price range. If you don't find anything you like, just leave and try another day. Alternatively, play instruments that are above your range, and if you like something then save for longer. A compromise, or stop-gap instrument is just not worth it.

RB

Once again you've taken the words right out of my mouth RB!

Quality varies hugely. Play before you buy! After numerous Gibson LPs, including Custom Shop instruments, I looked for a "cheapie" Epiphone to bash about. Most I tried were pure crap, but I found a winner. And it cost me about $250. It listed for around $800, but I have friends...Anyway, the Yamaha Pacifica mentioned above is definitely worth looking into. They generally make good stuff.

Conversely, if your Squire (some of them are really well made) isn't a total piece of crap, you may consider slapping a high quality humbucking pickup in it. That's the route I took when I was a teen on very limited funds. A quick routing of the cavity (a school woodshop can make the cut for little to no cost) and an HSS pickguard (what $20??), a little soldering (just two wires if you tape off the coil tapping and phase wires) and you're done. You're in for about a hundred bucks, and the remaining funds can go toward a proper amp.

Hey "Noodle", tell me more! How's your Squire? I'm here to help!

It's really nice, considering i got it as a birthday present. I had to make various adjustments since the high string buzzed on the first few frets, since the string wasn't really high enough from the frets.

other than that, it works great, i was just looking for a different sound in another guitar.

LedNoodle:

Yeah that's a fair enough thing to say, but I did buy my Danelectro off ebay and it was perfect, so buying off ebay can work sometimes...

Check the pawn shops and second hand music stores. Sometimes you can find a good deal.

Obviously, play it before you buy it. And I mean PLAY IT! Don't spend your money on something you may regret a month later.

My guitarist got a used black Ibanez Rg for about $250 and he loves it!

Frankly, the best guitar you'll ever own is the one you borrow off somebody else and never return

*Checks through stable* Mine. Mine. Mine. Mine. Uh oh...Whatever happened to that dude? Brian? Brett? Brad?? Aw screw it. If he can't remember Evan...

I started with a Squire and an old Crate too!

Then I got an American Strat for my birthday.

Anyway, you can look on ebay, but be really careful. I know a girl who sold a guitar on ebay, and was very happy with it and she bought one too. I've been burned on ebay, but not on a guitar. It was a glass Knewworth poster. When they said near mint, they forgot to mention that I'd have the three mint pieces taped together.

You could try places like Musician's Friend, or AMerican Musicians Supply, or a local place.

Another thing about local stores is that they'll also set it up for you (truss rod, intonation, string height, that stuff) and if you find anything wrong with it after you buy it, all you have to do is take a drive rather than having to ship it to the place you bought it and back which could take a week or two.

Also if you raise your budget by about 100 you could always get a standard Strat (HSS if you want a heavier sound). You could also consider trading in or pawning off your Squire once you've settled in with your new guitar, and maybe have enough for a wah wah pedal or other equipment

Nobody else seems to have said this, but if they already have I apologise.

If you are concerned with your overall sound, maybe you should hold off on getting a new guitar, and think about investing in a good amp. The poor quality sound you are hoping to improve could be caused by playing through your stereo.

Nobody else seems to have said this, but if they already have I apologise.

If you are concerned with your overall sound, maybe you should hold off on getting a new guitar, and think about investing in a good amp. The poor quality sound you are hoping to improve could be caused by playing through your stereo.

i know that. i play through the amp AND the stereo, depending on my mood. The sound quality is fine, its the TYPE of sound im looking at, among other things.

If you're on a budget, you can tinker with the pickup mods to get the desired sound you want without having to buy a new guitar. You may wish to check this article out on Fretbase:

Jimmy Page's Humbucker Mods

"While Jimmy Page used many different guitars in the studio, when playing live he could conjure many different sounds just from his '59 Gibson Les Paul. While being a great guitar player helps in creating a good sound, Mr. Page employed a mod to his humbuckers to allow him to get both single-coil and double-coil sounds as well as a phase and a series switch.

Jimmy Page's pickup modification requires that you install 4 Push/Pull pots into your guitar. There are many sources online to find out more about this mod and how to do it to your guitar, just ask Google."

The rest of the article is here:

http://www.fretbase.com/fretbase/2008/08/j...-pages-hum.html

Includes links to wiring diagrams.

Meg

Yeah that's a fair enough thing to say, but I did buy my Danelectro off ebay and it was perfect, so buying off ebay can work sometimes...

True, but it's a crap shoot. If you're going to buy a guitar, and you're serious about it, you have to play it first. You may pick up and play 5 strats, same model, same price, but only 1 may feel right for you. You have to play it before you buy it.

.... You may pick up and play 5 strats, same model, same price, but only 1 may feel right for you. You have to play it before you buy it.

So true. I once systematically went through all the Telecasters (Mexican and USA) of my local store before making my choice, which was based entirely on feel and sound of the instrument. To my surprise my final choice had a maple neck (not liked them up to that point), and the colour was "wrong"; I had my eyes on a sunburst model, but came away with a black one.

RB

Archived