1969 American Tour Book

zeptangerine

Repeat, I'm NOT a newbie- obviously- but I do have a question about the 1969 American/US Tour book. Any help would be appreciated.

Q: Does the original book have staples in the spine?

69usa_programme_tn.jpg

I don't recall seeing a tour book from 1969. There are no staples in the original Led Zeppelin Complete Guitar songbook published in 1975 by Superhype though.

Repeat, I'm NOT a newbie- obviously- but I do have a question about the 1969 American/US Tour book. Any help would be appreciated.

Q: Does the original book have staples in the spine?

I'll have to check my original to be sure but I believe it does.

I'll have to check my original to be sure but I believe it does.

Thanks, Steve. Mine has staples too, but it's odd b/c it's "book" like and I'm always leary of repros.

(I just aquired this recently, and it's almost too good to be true due to its mint condition, outside and in.)

btw- Do you know if any reproductions of this tour book that were printed since the 1969 printing?

The original 1969 American tour program DOES have staples in the spine.

I collect programmes / programs from the later 60s onwards and I am aware of reproductions of this one. The original is a beautiful HARDCOVER program by the Visual Thing. (it's an American item, so I'll use the American spelling, eh? Program .... a bit weird for a Brit like me).

Here's a quick and easy way to help identify a vintage program.

Get your nose close to it and smell that wonderful old aroma (it's difficult to forge). Also, if you have any doubt, take a look at the staples and make sure they don't look brand new (although a well stored item may not exhibit much tarnishing on the staples). Often the paper feels different to the modern stuff and sometimes the ink just seems different - the cover of Bath 1969 is a really good example of this.

I hope this helps.

The original 1969 American tour program DOES have staples in the spine.

I collect programmes / programs from the later 60s onwards and I am aware of reproductions of this one. The original is a beautiful HARDCOVER program by the Visual Thing. (it's an American item, so I'll use the American spelling, eh? Program .... a bit weird for a Brit like me).

Here's a quick and easy way to help identify a vintage program.

Get your nose close to it and smell that wonderful old aroma (it's difficult to forge). Also, if you have any doubt, take a look at the staples and make sure they don't look brand new (although a well stored item may not exhibit much tarnishing on the staples). Often the paper feels different to the modern stuff and sometimes the ink just seems different - the cover of Bath 1969 is a really good example of this.

I hope this helps.

Hi! Thank you. This is extremely helpful. I do have the hardback version, btw.

The first thing that hit me when I opened it was the smell. It does smell old- slightly mildewy, not moldy old but not fresh, either. Kind of like my basement. Also, the staples aren't shiny but they aren't rusted either. The paper almost feels like currency, a bit grainy but with a matte finish. I also noticed there is some yellowing on the inside back/front covers, but no doubt that was my fault for exposing this to air for the first time in 40 years? I was told this was in storage and never opened. It appears to be so. Maybe I should use white gloves upon handling from now on.

Outside of doing a Carbon 14 dating test, is there any other point to check it further?

Thanks again.

Hi! Thank you. This is extremely helpful. I do have the hardback version, btw.

The first thing that hit me when I opened it was the smell. It does smell old- slightly mildewy, not moldy old but not fresh, either. Kind of like my basement. Also, the staples aren't shiny but they aren't rusted either. The paper almost feels like currency, a bit grainy but with a matte finish. I also noticed there is some yellowing on the inside back/front covers, but no doubt that was my fault for exposing this to air for the first time in 40 years? I was told this was in storage and never opened. It appears to be so. Maybe I should use white gloves upon handling from now on.

Outside of doing a Carbon 14 dating test, is there any other point to check it further?

Thanks again.

I'm glad I could help. Well, Im sure you already know if you have an authentic piece of early Zep. :D

I'm glad I could help. Well, Im sure you already know if you have an authentic piece of early Zep. :D

ps- it does say Visual Thing in the programme program. (now that looks Russian...)

(English spelling's great- and confusing. I thought Jimmy mispelled "traveling" in his O2 apology letter because he spelled it "travelling." Well now I know who was write and wrong!) :)

Archived