HAPPY 29TH ANNIVERSARY LED ZEPPELIN AT KNEBWORTH FESTIVAL 4 AUGUST 1979!

How's it going my fellow die hard hard core ZEPPELIN fanatics? I hope the weekend went well. I survived numerous hangover's this weekend while getting ready to celebrate LED ZEPPELIN'S first night at the KNEBWORTH FESTIVAL on 4 AUGUST 1979. I'm getting set to take my one hour lunch today and am very excited that I will have tomorrow off. Tonight, I will be at the Bicycle Club bar with my 4 August 1979 KNEBWORTH DVD set and will have my friend who is the manager of Bicycle Club show it on three huge screens in powerfull Dolby Surround Pro Logic sound. I know that I will be having a great time tonight and I will be thinking of all of you. If any of you were at the KNEBWORTH FESTIVAL or would like to share any thoughts of the first show on 4 August 1979, please feel free to enlighten me. I am looking forward to hearing from all of you, LONG LIVE THE MIGHTY LED ZEPPELIN! ROCK ON!

ZeppFanForever A.K.A. John

Well I was there at this time on this very day :):)B)

And again in a weeks time too :DB)

Hi ledded1,

Me too mate, the first week with about 4 friends and the next week on my own.

I didn't see you there, where were you sitting? I was to the right of center about 25,000 places back.

Awesome day out though, Chas and Dave were great, if you like cockney humor like I do.

But nothing compared to when Led Zeppelin came on stage and went in to "The Song Remains The Same", the whole place shock with roaring. It actually blocked out the band for a few minutes.

Anyone remember the guys who operated the spotlights converging them on the roof to make up a giant Zeppelin with the beams?

Awesome, Zeppelin should have come back and played there every year, alas poor Bonham.

Hi ledded1,

Me too mate, the first week with about 4 friends and the next week on my own.

I didn't see you there, where were you sitting? I was to the right of center about 25,000 places back.

Awesome day out though, Chas and Dave were great, if you like cockney humor like I do.

But nothing compared to when Led Zeppelin came on stage and went in to "The Song Remains The Same", the whole place shock with roaring. It actually blocked out the band for a few minutes.

Anyone remember the guys who operated the spotlights converging them on the roof to make up a giant Zeppelin with the beams?

Awesome, Zeppelin should have come back and played there every year, alas poor Bonham.

Hi Dan

Remember the tingles runnng down your spine whilst waiting for them to come on?

The stomach churning ( nothing to do with the toilets) as the atmosphere grew?

The excitement of it all?

And the crowd getting more tense?

the palpitations as the lights went down?

The rush of blood as Bonzo hit his snare drum?

And the fucking roar as they were there for us at last?

Or was all that just me? :rolleyes:

How's it going my fellow die hard hard core ZEPPELIN fanatics? I hope the weekend went well. I survived numerous hangover's this weekend while getting ready to celebrate LED ZEPPELIN'S first night at the KNEBWORTH FESTIVAL on 4 AUGUST 1979. I'm getting set to take my one hour lunch today and am very excited that I will have tomorrow off. Tonight, I will be at the Bicycle Club bar with my 4 August 1979 KNEBWORTH DVD set and will have my friend who is the manager of Bicycle Club show it on three huge screens in powerfull Dolby Surround Pro Logic sound. I know that I will be having a great time tonight and I will be thinking of all of you. If any of you were at the KNEBWORTH FESTIVAL or would like to share any thoughts of the first show on 4 August 1979, please feel free to enlighten me. I am looking forward to hearing from all of you, LONG LIVE THE MIGHTY LED ZEPPELIN! ROCK ON!

ZeppFanForever A.K.A. John

How's it going fellow die hard hard core ZEPPELIN fanatics? Thank you for all of your responses. All of you that responded on this particular topic were lucky to be in attendance on 4 August 1979. Nothing compares to actually being there and experiencing the excitement of watching LED ZEPPELIN LIVE! If anything, I own the genuine original KNEBWORTH 79 Souvenir Program. I have seen LED ZEPPELIN twice in my lifetime, the first time was at The Forum on 23 June 1977 and the second one was at the Oakland Coliseum on 23 July 1977. While I have seen both KNEBWORTH shows on DVD with excellent picture and sound quality, nothing compares to actually being at the festival and experiencing the power of their music. Showing the KNEBWORTH 4 AUGUST 1979 concert DVD set at my friend's bar (The Bicycle Club) was a successful one. The bar was sold out and as usual, I got shit faced. I finally recuperated from my hangover earlier today and am looking forward to next Monday on 11 August 2008 where I will be celebrating the KNEBWORTH 11 AUGUST 1979 performance at Stacy's Sports Bar. My other friend who is the Manager at Stacy's is going to show the 11 AUGUST 1979 performance that I own on DVD on numerous large screens throughout the sports bar. Good thing that I will be getting next Tuesday off. ROCK ON!

Hi Dan

See what I mean :whistling:

Pilot was at both shows too :cheer:

Apparentaly , I stood on ledded1's foot on my way to those infamous loo's... he's never forgiven me :P

Hi Dan

Na, dont remember any of that, I was too busy getting me tape recorder to work, had another eye on Grants heavies and making sure I had the right 400 film for me night shots of the band. You sure you went to the same gig as me? LOL

See what I mean :whistling:

Pilot was at both shows too :cheer:

Apparentaly , I stood on ledded1's foot on my way to those infamous loo's... he's never forgiven me :P

What? what??

(You know we only cast aspersions on the loos to distract ourselves from our grief at not being there, Pilot. :ph34r: )

Awesome - I see you jumping up and down waving your arms there.

Or was it the one next to you, or behind you....

B)

:D

Any one remember the people at the front not sitting down (twats) and those behind them pelting them with bottles and anything to hand?

040879dup2.jpg

Taken with my little Kodak instamatic

courtesy of the POTS archive

:lol:

And I had a Kodak Instamatic too! Although sadly not used to take pictures of Zep at Knebworth...

Pilot, Ross Halfin should be watching his back :D

QUOTE (BIGDAN @ Aug 5 2008, 04:28 PM) *

Any one remember the people at the front not sitting down (twats) and those behind them pelting them with bottles and anything to hand?

That happened at nearly every festival I went to!

(Not that I was at this one, grumble grumble.)

I was at the 1985 Knebworth show with Deep Purple, and I remember Meatloaf, with his leg in plaster, getting hit with a gallon/5lt plastic bottle of piddle and going over on his ass on stage.

Made my day

:hysterical:

QUOTE (BIGDAN @ Aug 5 2008, 04:28 PM) *

I was at the 1985 Knebworth show with Deep Purple, and I remember Meatloaf, with his leg in plaster, getting hit with a gallon/5lt plastic bottle of piddle and going over on his ass on stage.

Made my day

:hysterical:

I have the DEEP PURPLE KNEBWORTH 1985 performance on a 2-CD set. It sounds outstanding! ROCK ON!

I have the DEEP PURPLE KNEBWORTH 1985 performance on a 2-CD set. It sounds outstanding! ROCK ON!

Me too, a very special day indeed, it was strange to hear the old classics with the new ones, like

"Perfect Street Rangers" if you know what I mean.

Me too, a very special day indeed, it was strange to hear the old classics with the new ones, like

"Perfect Street Rangers" if you know what I mean.

EXACTLY! I also remember reading that Blackmore was having problems with the audio technicians before going on stage at KNEBWORTH 85 just like he did at the CALIFORNIA JAM on 6 April 1974. ROCK ON!

EXACTLY! I also remember reading that Blackmore was having problems with the audio technicians before going on stage at KNEBWORTH 85 just like he did at the CALIFORNIA JAM on 6 April 1974. ROCK ON!

Have you seen the one in the nineties where Blackmore throws a pint of water over a roadie while he is playing on stage because the roadie took the piss out of him during the day. This led to the band breaking up.

Archived