"Feeling" the music

Bustle In My Hedgerow

Sorry,.. don't mean to start random musing threads.. but this is something I always thought strange in my dad (a drummer, who always had a soul-deep feel for music), but somehow I've come to identify with him on this..

He would always drive us to breakfast, the movies, etc while my Mom worked on Saturdays and he'd have his radio full-blast with some kind of Beatles or Jetro Tull song and he'd always pause the song and tell my brothers and I "Ok, guys, listen to this.. you can hear a subtle change in this and this" and I'd always think "Jeez, dad, you're psycho" but now that I'm older and have an immense appreciation for music, I can understand him.

I've found that recently I just seem to gravitate towards music that have so many layers-- so many different levels of sounds-- that I enjoy just peeling them back, analyzing the subtle progressions in music so that before I realize it I can feel how a song moves from soft to a cresdendo of music so beautifully and subtly sublty arranged so that you find yourself in a trance....

... I know I sound crazy, but this is what I love about music so-fucking-much. Does anyone understand me?... Am I just a nutter?

Sorry,.. don't mean to start random musing threads.. but this is something I always thought strange in my dad (a drummer, who always had a soul-deep feel for music), but somehow I've come to identify with him on this..

He would always drive us to breakfast, the movies, etc while my Mom worked on Saturdays and he'd have his radio full-blast with some kind of Beatles or Jetro Tull song and he'd always pause the song and tell my brothers and I "Ok, guys, listen to this.. you can hear a subtle change in this and this" and I'd always think "Jeez, dad, you're psycho" but now that I'm older and have an immense appreciation for music, I can understand him.

I've found that recently I just seem to gravitate towards music that have so many layers-- so many different levels of sounds-- that I enjoy just peeling them back, analyzing the subtle progressions in music so that before I realize it I can feel how a song moves from soft to a cresdendo of music so beautifully and subtly sublty arranged so that you find yourself in a trance....

... I know I sound crazy, but this is what I love about music so-fucking-much. Does anyone understand me?... Am I just a nutter?

"Let the music be your master" :notworthy::D

i know what you mean. im no muso, but i know what i like! i used to drive my friends nuts as a teenager constantly talking about music, mostly zep, when they were more interested in clothes, or boys or other such "stuff". i would play my records over and over ( still do ) making sure i hear every little part.......whenever i get something new, its on the player constantly for weeks. and still today, i drive my co workers nuts with the same..........i never get tired of listening to zeppelin. it has everything i need.... soft, slow, hard, rockin'. everything.

im only 16 and i know how you feel. that kind of thing is lost on my generation.

I'm 20, so maybe it isn't lost on all of us.

I understand, though, how it feels to be close friends with people who just don't "get" it... I'm im with my friends, having a good time, on another level of consciousness or, hell, sober, even... they still don't get it and I end up sounding like a crazy person... but it feels better that other people, if only just a few, share this same, almost obsessive, passion with me.

I understand, though, how it feels to be close friends with people who just don't "get" it... I'm im with my friends, having a good time, on another level of consciousness or, hell, sober, even... they still don't get it and I end up sounding like a crazy person... but it feels better that other people, if only just a few, share this same, almost obsessive, passion with me.

yes! ive found a new friend from this board who i can share my feelings with, and she is just as obsessed as me.........its made such a difference to be able to talk music and not get a blank stare back!

i have always got my music on when im at home, im usually running late for work, cos i cant bare to turn off a song till its over! i was the same as a teenager, i missed the school bus many times because i was lost in the middle of a record somewhere...........

yes! ive found a new friend from this board who i can share my feelings with, and she is just as obsessed as me.........its made such a difference to be able to talk music and not get a blank stare back!

i have always got my music on when im at home, im usually running late for work, cos i cant bare to turn off a song till its over! i was the same as a teenager, i missed the school bus many times because i was lost in the middle of a record somewhere...........

Isn't it just the best feeling to be driving... doesn't matter what your destination is.. and you have the music on full-blast, just encapsulating you within the car with these magical sounds... I love it.. Like I said, I get put into a trance.. it's like the music is tangible and I can reach out and touch this beautiful, wondrous thing that other people can't see.. it's so great, isn't it? :D... I'm so glad that others feel this way.

Have any of you listened to "You Shook Me" in the second verse right after Robert says you shook me all night long, turn it up all the way momentarily and you can hear some one laughing in the back ground B)

Have any of you listened to "You Shook Me" in the second verse right after Robert says you shook me all night long, turn it up all the way momentarily and you can hear some one laughing in the back ground B)

Zeppelin I was my favorite to put the headphones on (eight track, lol) and i do know the part you mention. Also, funny, if anyone had this on eight track, "You Shook Me" changes to the other side part way through the song. It always woke me when i would put it on to fall asleep to it. Still consider this album to be such a favorite!

Dude I understand you completely. I have had trouble actually listening to a SONG because I break it up into parts to listen to guitar, timing, vocal melodies, its like I cant see (hear) the forest (song) because of the trees (music)

im only 16 and i know how you feel. that kind of thing is lost on my generation.

Young people like you give me hope. I'm 42, and the 80's and 90's saw the feel sucked out of music for us old timers (I'm not even THAT old!!!). Volume without depth. Show without soul. Hair and clothes (not that Zep didn't fuss over hair and clothes, but there was the MUSIC). But here and there a kid (like you) comes around who gets it. Don't lose that! Downloads are the death of albums and art. What was once a great canvas is reduced to a postage stamp. A paragraph instead of a chapter. Keep it alive! Remind these faces what it means to create something of substance.

Rant over. Sorry. :beer:

Im 19. Is there a Led Zep revival going on...I think so( not that it ever or will ever die). The world is ready. B) lol

Ohhh how much I agree with you .... !!!!

IMO music is feeling only and that's what I still think and try to feel

Today's harder and I don't feel music as I did for many many years

But there's hope, I know

At the same time, feeling is also what you feel depending on the mood: LZ is always the cure ...

Rock on friends

I was thinking last night, LZ was really part of a lost musical generation in which each component of the band is valued for what they contribute, both individually and collaboratively, to the band's musical repertoire... the equivalent of subtle brush strokes in a breathtaking mural that has depth and life that only that one person could come up with.

"Music is the wine which inspires one to new generative processes, and I am Bacchus who presses out this glorious wine for mankind and makes them spiritually drunken. "... said by Beethoven.

I love that they're still cranking out their sweet, intoxicating wine filled with music that seems to speak to all of us in a language that only a few seem to understand, or at least take the time to decipher, today.

That's a big part of why I come here - otherwise, I have a disdain for sitting in front of a computer (does anyone actually ever do any "computing" on these things?). But especially as most of your friends or family get older, few will want to relax and listen or talk about music. They'll obsess over what their kids want, how fat their partner is getting, what's on TV, what new "toy" they deserve, what the price of this and that is...

When i was litttle, my dad would turn down the volume all the way when a jimi hendrix song comes on. He will sit there bobbing along like it is at full volume. He will tell me i can only hear jimi, i couldn't listen.

It was a joke we played on each other after the movie "White Men Can't Jump" (Black Men can't swim). It the part where woody and weasley are bickering about what station to listen too.

Yeah, i was initially turned onto music from my parents too, in the car as a young kid. I also went into a trance like state and real appreciation for music, from teen yrs to late 20s i guess. Appreciate that, cause not everyone can hear it and as you get older its harder to come by, but what happens is, you are able to appreciate more music. There not only becomes some sort of levelling for appreciation of music, but also a deeper appreciation. Its a pretty cool thing and certainly a generation thing.

Last night I took my TSRTS dvd to my friends house and I tried to explain the concept of experiencing the music rather than just listening to it and they kind of understood it, but I know I was the only one really into it. Such a shame. Music makes for such amazing experiences.

Well you know, you're either into music or you're not, it's like dancing, some people can just naturally do it and others (that's me) can't

I suppose it is a rare thing.. you either get it or you dont.. but how bland to only be able to experience music on only one dimension. I find it interesting that a lot of people here have the ability to identify with it on multiple levels... some cool cats frequent this forum. :thumbsup:B)

It's what got me into Zeppelin in the first place. To this day, I can't listen to music that I have no feel for.

I was thinking last night, LZ was really part of a lost musical generation in which each component of the band is valued for what they contribute, both individually and collaboratively, to the band's musical repertoire... the equivalent of subtle brush strokes in a breathtaking mural that has depth and life that only that one person could come up with.

"Music is the wine which inspires one to new generative processes, and I am Bacchus who presses out this glorious wine for mankind and makes them spiritually drunken. "... said by Beethoven.

I love that they're still cranking out their sweet, intoxicating wine filled with music that seems to speak to all of us in a language that only a few seem to understand, or at least take the time to decipher, today.

For a 20yo you are so deep young lady B)

Edited to say I mean that in a good way :)

Archived