OLYMPICS

BIGDAN

Yes, Beijing is 12 hours ahead of eastern time.

So since its daytime there now, do you think the coverage on let's say, MSNBC, which I notice is taking over the coverage at midnight, will be live? That would be nice to see the events live. I like the track and field which comes later on I believe, but also like many other events. I like the one where they have to swim, ride a bike and run. I remember seeing it in Sydney. They actually were swimming in the water surrounding the city. I couldn't help but wonder if there were sharks in those waters as its known for great whites. I think the women won in soccer today but believe they lost their first game. Our women are far better than our men in soccer. It is tough to keep track of the Olympic's as there are so many events.

I thought it was disrespectful, as the Games are supposed to transcend politics. I felt if they wanted to protest what was going on in the United States at the time, they could have chosen a more appropriate way to do it.

For example, in the very same Olympics, Vera Caslavska, a Czechoslovakian gymnast, protested the Soviet invasion of her country (which occurred months before the Games started) by quietly turning her head during the Soviet anthem. No obnoxious display, just quiet protest. If you're going to make a statement, make one with dignity.

Yes, Beijing is 12 hours ahead of eastern time.

Thanks. I'll see how long I can stay awake. And see what events are on. I don't care for wrestling or judo or any of that. I do like the swimming, gymnastics, track and field, especially the marathon, relays, and that crazy one where they swim, ride bikes and then run. I forget what it is called. Triathlon maybe?

Thanks. I'll see how long I can stay awake. And see what events are on. I don't care for wrestling or judo or any of that. I do like the swimming, gymnastics, track and field, especially the marathon, relays, and that crazy one where they swim, ride bikes and then run. I forget what it is called. Triathlon maybe?

Yup, it's the Triathlon.

Yup, it's the Triathlon.

Kind of similiar to the winter olympics version where they cross country ski and then have to shoot those rifles. Trying to shoot accurately while your heart is pounding. A true test of endurance. I love the Olympics and I also love the world cup as it brings countries together.

Not a good enough reason ah, what about,

China's Human Rights Issues.

They still execute people.

They use our Technology without paying for it.

They make replicas of many of our goods and sell them back to us cheaply, thus putting many of our own workers out of jobs.

They eat cats and dogs.

I'm only giving you what you asked for, a decent reason for boycotting the Olympics, if you don't want to watch the games find you own reason then. :wtf:

Regards Danny

Ah, see, you just have a problem with China. China is not the Olympics.

The United States executes people too.

And eating cats and dogs is just a part of their culture, which is nothing to get mad about.

And I do want to watch the games, and I am. I'm just wondering what all the bustle is about. Feels like a bandwagon deal to me. I've yet to see a decent, well thought out reason that logically justifies a boycott. I think a lot of people just heard about it and were like "human rights, yeah!", and thus, since those people probably weren't that interested in watching the Olympics in the first place, they had no problem "boycotting" them. Problem is most people probably didn't really care in the first place, so in the grand scheme it doesn't matter. They're just doing it to feel good.

I thought it was disrespectful, as the Games are supposed to transcend politics. I felt if they wanted to protest what was going on in the United States at the time, they could have chosen a more appropriate way to do it.

For example, in the very same Olympics, Vera Caslavska, a Czechoslovakian gymnast, protested the Soviet invasion of her country (which occurred months before the Games started) by quietly turning her head during the Soviet anthem. No obnoxious display, just quiet protest. If you're going to make a statement, make one with dignity.

I think that the times were very challenging when Smith and Carlos made they're statement. I wonder though who paid for they're athletic scholorships and who flipped the bill for the Olympic team. I don't think raising an arm in support of the Panthers and Angela Davis, was the wisest move these two young men ever made. Even if I may have been sympathetic to the struggle for equal rights, I would not be able to endorse what they did. Mind you, I did some regretable things when I was young too. I think there are just too many issues and too many agents that are getting in the way of common sense when it comes to these athletes. I must say, if the individual athletes feel so strongly about an issue then they should stand up and be counted before they go to the games at my expense . Otherwise, you've just slapped me in the face and told me to go fuck myself

And I do want to watch the games, and I am. I'm just wondering what all the bustle is about. Feels like a bandwagon deal to me. I've yet to see a decent, well thought out reason that logically justifies a boycott. I think a lot of people just heard about it and were like "human rights, yeah!", and thus, since those people probably weren't that interested in watching the Olympics in the first place, they had no problem "boycotting" them. Problem is most people probably didn't really care in the first place, so in the grand scheme it doesn't matter. They're just doing it to feel good.

It's not the first time we have had this type of problem. Boycotting the Olympics because of political reasons. There were the games in the Soviet Union and just think of Hitler sitting up there watching the Olympics. I don't think this one is as justified as the former ones. We have to try and have good relations with countries like China.

The United States executes people too.

And eating cats and dogs is just a part of their culture, which is nothing to get mad about.

You misunderstand me, you wanted a reason not me, I am giving you reasons.

The rest of your post I totally agree with, the whole world is apathetic enough to do nothing about China's indiscretion, because no one wants to upset China, because there is too much money at stake. And Money makes the world go round.

Nice talking, Danny

You misunderstand me, you wanted a reason not me, I am giving you reasons.

The rest of your post I totally agree with, the whole world is apathetic enough to do nothing about China's indiscretion, because no one wants to upset China, because there is too much money at stake. And Money makes the world go round.

Nice talking, Danny

I thought it was Love that made the world go round? I guess I live in fantasy.

I'm just wondering what all the bustle is about. Feels like a bandwagon deal to me. I've yet to see a decent, well thought out reason that logically justifies a boycott. I think a lot of people just heard about it and were like "human rights, yeah!", and thus, since those people probably weren't that interested in watching the Olympics in the first place, they had no problem "boycotting" them.

Summer Olympics 2008 - The Price We Paid

A boycott is not the issue. China brutally evicted masses of people from their homes to make way for the Olympics just so the rest of the world could watch the games on television, and boy are we watching. If we had boycotted the Olympics though, we would not now have witnessed the events that took place in the lives of everyday Chinese people. So now we have seen, and they have a witness. What would you do if this happened in your neighborhood?

I'm only giving you what you asked for, a decent reason for boycotting the Olympics, if you don't want to watch the games find you own reason then.

I generally don't watch much of the summer olympics anyway. I much prefer the winter/Ice-people's Olympics if you know what I mean.

1250_viking.gif

I generally don't watch much of the summer olympics anyway. I much prefer the winter/Ice-people's Olympics if you know what I mean.

1250_viking.gif

I'm with you. I always look to the bright side of life. Go North, young man!

My favorite part of the Summer Olympics are the closing ceremonies, but not enough to watch them.

Gag a maggot to that horrid air quality there!! OMG! I couldn't believe it.

I noticed the venues are so empty ! The only full one I saw for a sec. was the basketball. :huh:

Personally I adore the men's swimming, diving, and beach volleyball...... :D

( If ONLY they'd show their ENTIRE bods :angry: )

:rolleyes:

And of coors...I'll be waiting for RAFA!!! In tennis!!

And....although it is touted an architectural wonder, The Birds Nest just doesn't do it, for me anyway.

<br />Hi all,<br /><br /><br /><br />When you talk about Avery <i>Brundige</i>, and Jim Thorpe,then we can talk.Tommy Lee Jones and John Carlos,know both of them,Lee Evans?Know him too.<br /><br />KB<br />
&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;<br /><br />Exactly, BRUNDAGE is one of those ONE-WAY figures I will always fight against! By the way, go tell the UNWARY topic starter your little Brundage story, not to me!<br /><br />Robert

I was yelling and cheering....my daughter was irritated by me :P Wasn't that INCREDIBLE!? :cheer:

I thought I was going to have a heart attack, my heart was pounding so hard in my chest. I really thought we were going to lose it but then out of nowhere Lezak turned on the jets. WOOOO.

I thought I was going to have a heart attack, my heart was pounding so hard in my chest. I really thought we were going to lose it but then out of nowhere Lezak turned on the jets. WOOOO.

That guy has turbo charge. I'm watching diving, now.

Archived