TSRTS Remastered title track boo-boo left in

dpat

I'm sure the Garden Tapes* guy will have a field day with the remastered version of the soundtrack.

But, I just noticed why, after around the 3:30 mark of TSRTS (the song) on the remastered version, there is a fade of Plant's voice. I'm thinking this might have been Planty moving away from the mic, or just a hiccup on the tape.

Anyhoo, it now explains why on the original TSRTS album that part sounded like Plant's voice was put through some echo device ... me now thinks it was just an overdub to cover the mistake.

*Garden Tapes, an in-depth (REALLY IN-DEPTH) study of the official live releases by Zep. Obviously, the guy hasn't had time to write his thesis on the new release ....

http://www.thegardentapes.co.uk/

I'm sure the Garden Tapes* guy will have a field day with the remastered version of the soundtrack.

But, I just noticed why, after around the 3:30 mark of TSRTS (the song) on the remastered version, there is a fade of Plant's voice. I'm thinking this might have been Planty moving away from the mic, or just a hiccup on the tape.

Anyhoo, it now explains why on the original TSRTS album that part sounded like Plant's voice was put through some echo device ... me now thinks it was just an overdub to cover the mistake.

*Garden Tapes, an in-depth (REALLY IN-DEPTH) study of the official live releases by Zep. Obviously, the guy hasn't had time to write his thesis on the new release ....

http://www.thegardentapes.co.uk/

Yeah I did notice that....the more I listen, the more I'm noticing little things....like the phase effect on some of Bonzo's drums in certain songs....weren't there before (or maybe they were but the poor technology didn't let you hear it so well)!!!

Yeah I did notice that....the more I listen, the more I'm noticing little things....like the phase effect on some of Bonzo's drums in certain songs....weren't there before (or maybe they were but the poor technology didn't let you hear it so well)!!!

Yes, especially near the end of Bonzo's solo on "Moby Dick," the phased echoing is INSANE!! Sounds like what I believe Bonzo was doing around in '77 more than '73, but I could very easily be wrong.

Yes, especially near the end of Bonzo's solo on "Moby Dick," the phased echoing is INSANE!! Sounds like what I believe Bonzo was doing around in '77 more than '73, but I could very easily be wrong.

That's what I was exactly thinking...this is '77 not '73...still sounds cool though

That's what I was exactly thinking...this is '77 not '73...still sounds cool though

I HATE it! Bonzo did use some mild phaser effects (done from the soundboard) in 73. Especially on tympani and cymbals. More pronounced in 77. But this is not a phaser. It's a flanger. And the fact that the crowd noise is going "woosh" with it makes it an obvious afterthought. The drum sound is so good on the rest of the tracks. This is tantamount to butchery.

I HATE it! Bonzo did use some mild phaser effects (done from the soundboard) in 73. Especially on tympani and cymbals. More pronounced in 77. But this is not a phaser. It's a flanger. And the fact that the crowd noise is going "woosh" with it makes it an obvious afterthought. The drum sound is so good on the rest of the tracks. This is tantamount to butchery.

I love the new TSRTS, but I gotta agree here to a degree. For the most part, the sound on the new TSRTS is CRUSHING, but on No Quarter, the same type of flanger (not phaser as you accurately mentioned, good catch) is applied to the previously mighty timpani-and-gong hit right at the end of JPJ's keyboard solo (right before the drums come creeping back in before the now-edited-out guitar solo intro, when JPJ is at the huge pipe organ on the DVD). It sounds MASSIVE on the original unremastered CD soundtrack, now, the hit sounds over-compressed and overwashed in that exact flanger, it's classic over processing. It's sonic nitpicking perhaps, but it's not like Jimmy to overprocess, he's always careful, classy, and appropriate when applying effects. I am thinking Kevin Shirley needs his flanger taken away from him for bad behavior...But it does say "Produced by Jimmy Page" so the responsibility falls on Page. Oh well he's gonna be 64, we'll let it slide this time...

That being said, the Collector's Edition DVD is a must have, I checked it out the DVD on a nice big TV with DTS and it is INCREDIBLE! Page is so cool on "Celebration Day", never seen a rocker move, look, and sound that cool all at once. But as far as the CD, they should have simply remastered the original CD soundtrack exactly as it was, and added the bonus tracks. This way we'd have the original classic CD soundtrack with the old smooth CD edits, the bonus tracks, and also the whole new different mix on the DVD. Still happy though, new DVD is an excellent upgrade from original DVD.

... they should have simply remastered the original CD soundtrack exactly as it was, and added the bonus tracks. This way we'd have the original classic CD soundtrack with the old smooth CD edits, the bonus tracks...

Is the sound so different between the old and new soundtrack that assembling a patchwork with the old stuff with the newly added stuff would sound too uneven?

I was going to do just this today, but had a job interview (that I didn't get) :angry:

It may sound a little uneven if you try to match them, as new one is much hotter, and also has more mids. If you can get the levels to match, it may be close, but I imagine you would still hear a little bit of a difference. You may be able to pull it off though, you can use Wavelab editing software on PC, or Bias Peak on Mac, either would work. I would love an interviewer to ask Page about these issues. It's not like there isn't a 2-track pressing master of the original TRSTS CD that can't be remastered, and this was the opportunity to do it, but I respect that Page actually took the harder way out and remixed everything, even though we have our preferences about the edits.

It may sound a little uneven, as new one is much hotter, also has more more mids. If you can get the levels to match, it may be close, but I imagine you would still hear a little bit of a difference. You may be able to pull it off though, you can use Wavelab editing software on PC, or Bias Peak on Mac, either would work. Still love that old No Quarter on the original CD!

Thanks, but it sounds a bit high tech for me, I usually just run everything through itunes. Only last week did I figure out how to edit a track length.

Archived