Progressive Rock

LedNoodle

Yep, awesome song. I'll try to find the whole album.

I think this song has a second part, right? On another album?

Yep, Cygnus X-1 Book II is the first track on the next album, Hemispheres.

Ok, I've listened to 2112 and it was absolutely great, now I want more! What do your recommend next? :)

You must listen to Moving Pictures, it is the last of their great albums ( for me anyway).

You must listen to Moving Pictures, it is the last of their great albums ( for me anyway).

I have everything upto that album on CD. I have Grace Under Pressure on vinyl, but never liked it much.

First on the term. It was applied in a very loose sense to begin with, to encompass bands that, in the wake of psychedelia, Cream, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, etc. - and even the bebop/avant-garde jazz scene of the mid and late 1960s - just felt like stretching the boundaries a bit, and see what actual space you might have to experiment within Rock music. If you go back and read interviews with members of Led Zeppelin from 1969-1970 you will find that they keep referring to themselves as a 'progressive band'. But eventually, as it started to become a label for a distinct brand of rock music, they stopped doing that.

For me progressive rock primarily means just classically influenced rock music - or, as the case may be, modern music influenced rock. If you take a band such as Jethro Tull, they were a bluesy outfit early on, but gradually their identity became more centered on taking folk influences into a novel direction. As Clive Bunker once put it, 'We were just a bloody loud folk band....'. Obviously, if you like to use the loose early meaning of the term, then Tull were a 'progressive band'. But in the sense of prog rock, nope, they weren't. Even if Ian Anderson did Bourée and John Evan incorporated bits from the Appassionata into his solos in 1970. The classical influence just wasn't dominant enough to fit the label.

Same thing with bands that reworked the blues legacy. They were doing something new and exciting at the time, but it wasn't primarily classically influenced. There is a real divide here in a sense, because if you rely on the blues or on folk roots and try to develop from there, you're never straying away from popular music in a broad sense - whereas the prog rock bands did just that. Even Colosseum, with all their jazz roots weren't really a progressive rock band.

That's why I interpret the term quite narrowly, and apply it mainly to bands that developed classical influences as essential parts of their sound. So you get bands like ELP, Genesis, Gentle Giant, Focus, King Crimson and Yes.

I got into that almost right away, at ten, in 1975-1976, by accident at first, because my sister happened to have a really good Focus album, Moving Waves. Later I heard and got into all these other bands as well. In retrospect I feel that some of it was actually overblown, and didn't really work - but it was certainly very exciting music at the time, and I still love Peter Gabriel-era Genesis; and the Gentle Giant catalog until about 1977 or so.

In Iceland we had a great progressive rock band in Þursaflokkurinn (active from 1977-1983 or so). It really is a pity that they never became known outside Iceland. Saw them several times live and interviewed them in 1979. B)

I have everything upto that album on CD. I have Grace Under Pressure on vinyl, but never liked it much.

Yes on later Rush albums they have some very good moments, up there with their best, but the albums up to Moving Pictures have cemented them into one of the most important Rock/Prog band of all time...MOving pictures is on my top 5 Cds to take on an island.

I'v given alot of the bands mentioned here a try as they've always sounded like the kind of thing I' like but I'v been almost universally disapointed. There are tracks I enjoy(Aqualung, I Talk To The Wind, Lady Fantasy, La Villa Strangiato etc) but really few albums that I didnt think included alot of work high on ambition but low on actual good music.

Prog rock was IMHO a bit of an evolutionary dead end, the real progression of rock music happened by way of the likes of Pink Floyd and into Krautrock bands like Can and Neu, thatas the influence we saw reflected in post punk and what devolped afterwards not Yes or Genesis.

The Progman likes prog...no surprise there I guess.

God, there were just so many great bands, but if I were to select two desert island bands, if only for their mindblowing musicianship it'd be:

FOCUS

and

GENTLE GIANT

Everything else - as great as it may be - is second to these Gods of Prog.

The Progman likes prog...no surprise there I guess.

God, there were just so many great bands, but if I were to select two desert island bands, if only for their mindblowing musicianship it'd be:

FOCUS

and

GENTLE GIANT

Everything else - as great as it may be - is second to these Gods of Prog.

I find it surprising how many GG fans there are on this and other forums. And yet, aside from one old friend, no one I know has heard of them. I'm always trying to remedy that but for some reason it's a hard sell. I just don't understand how so few people can see the absolute genius of their work.

Music is such background to so many who dont have the ability or desire to allow themselves to be fully absorbed into the complexities of Gentle Giant and other progressive artists.

Its NOT background music, it either pulls you in and engulfs you or pushes you away cause its sometimes hard to tap your foot to. :lol:

I sorta laugh at what I see some people thinking what progressive rock is. The music isnt something you can just sit down and jam away on. You MUST know the material to play it. Its structured in a way that many players and listeners just cant grasp.

Play it for your babies, it will make the smarter.

Pink Floyd is the band that really got me into deep music. Before that I was just one of those dickheads who liked nothing except mindless Rock'n'Roll.. but after I listened to Pink Floyd I realised that music with substance is 10,000 times better than Rock for the sake of Rock. Floyd are my second favourite band.. after Led Zeppelin of course!

There was a top 10 programme on progressive rock bands on British TV about 7 or 8 years ago. I think the top 10 went something like this.

1. Genesis

2. Pink Floyd

3. Yes

4. Emerson, Lake, and Palmer

5. The Moody Blues

6. Rush

7. Jethro Tull

8. Hawkwind

9. Camel

10. King Crimson

I think they put King Crimson in the opposite spot, they should be number one, and then Yes should be number 2. I've been meaning to get into Camel for a bit, surprised they'd be on there though.

I'm not sure how the list was compiled but i would have had King Crimson higher aswell.

The only Camel record iv heard is 'The Snow Goose' which is ok but very different to much of the other prog rock that i have heard.

I tend to not like bands that are described as prog rock bands, but I think the main problem I have is the sound and choice of instruments. I prefer bands that use standard "rock instruments", such as bass, drums, guitars, organ/piano, while synthesizers and other electronic instruments doesn't really appeal to me in rock.

I think I'm a bit conservative when it comes to istrumentation and rock LOL.

When it comes to the sound, I like the organic sound of the 60's and early 70's. Late 70's prog rock tends to sound too polished for my taste. That doesn't mean I don't like progressive music, as I'm a big fan of psychedelia, which is, in a way, prog rock/pop as well, in some cases.

Archived