Progressive Rock

LedNoodle

I really enjoy prog, but only if I'm in the right mood. Yes is probably my all-time favorite prog artist.

The weird thing about me is, I actually enjoy reading about prog, the music, the concepts behind the albums, the musicians, etc., more than I actually listen to the music itself. I could probably tell you loads of information about ELP, without actually having listened to a full album of their's in years.

And here's another one. This guy's channel has quickly become a favorite of mine, over the past year.

I know there are members here who'll slate me but to me, side 1 of that album is pure class ! " Meanwhile back in the day 1". Great stuff !

• 7 months later...

Emerson, Lake, and Palmer

Yes

King Crimson

Supertramp

Asia

So who likes it? I love it. I'm interested to see about this on what is mainly a hard rock forum.

I've always liked it. Supertramp, Kansas, Pink Floyd, and Styx are probably my favorite prog rock bands. Not only do I enjoy prog rock on a "gut" level, but the snob in me also appreciates that it demands a high level of musicianship. IMO a lot of the the punk rockers enmity towards successful prog rock bands was based in jealousy. Prog rock bands like Supertramp could run rings around them as musicians, singers and songwriters.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The Carl Palmer Band is incredible. If you ever have a chance to see them live - do so. All three members are amazing musicians. I went along to see them out of curiosity - I was never an ELP fan, but enjoy a good drummer. They blew me away.

Carl told a story later about being friends with John Bonham and recommending him for a gig, pre-Zeppelin (Chris Farlowe I think it was?). Apparently they knew each other growing up. Later, as rock superstar zillionaires, John and Carl were one of the very few drummers to play on stainless steel kits.

The Carl Palmer Band is incredible. If you ever have a chance to see them live - do so. All three members are amazing musicians. I went along to see them out of curiosity - I was never an ELP fan, but enjoy a good drummer. They blew me away.

Carl told a story later about being friends with John Bonham and recommending him for a gig, pre-Zeppelin (Chris Farlowe I think it was?). Apparently they knew each other growing up. Later, as rock superstar zillionaires, John and Carl were one of the very few drummers to play on stainless steel kits.

Carl Palmer is actually wrong though - Bonzo never played with Farlowe, as far as I know. He was playing with Tim Rose in the summer of 1968 and had had offers to join both Chris Farlowe's band and Joe Cocker's ... he didn't, and chose The New Yardbirds instead. Much, much later of course, Jimmy Page chose Farlowe to sing Who's to Blame on the Death Wish soundtrack, in the beginning of the 1980's, and in 1988 Farlowe sang three numbers on Outrider. But that came about because Jimmy and Chris Farlowe have known each other since about 1959-1960 - when Jimmy was only just starting out. And Jimmy did play on the Out of Time/Baby Make it Soon sessions in 1966.

Those not familiar with Chris Farlowe's work with Colosseum should check it out - great stuff! Amazing players. There are jazzy passages in their music, but as for the actual sensibility and feel, a lot of the band came from the blues scene in Britain, and you can really hear that ...

I just bought King Crimson's 40th Anniversary Edition of Lark's Tongues in Aspic. It has a remastered CD with alternative tracks and a DVDa with 24/96 remasters in 2.0 stereo and 5.1 Surround and some live video. It sounds awesome!! I have had this album since its release in 1973 but I heard things in this recording that I never noticed. A worthy upgrade for any King Crimson fan.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

well which progressive rock bands are within your collection... your tastes run too!. the newer flyers of the flag ship

progressive rock bands = Flower Kings, Marillion, Spock`s Beard, Transatlantic or the side projects... is the amazing album " The Raven That Refused To Sing and Other Stories" Steven Wilson is a wonder of the magical, musical sound of progressive rock magical...

• 7 months later...

well which progressive rock bands are within your collection... your tastes run too!. the newer flyers of the flag ship

progressive rock bands = Flower Kings, Marillion, Spock`s Beard, Transatlantic or the side projects... is the amazing album " The Raven That Refused To Sing and Other Stories" Steven Wilson is a wonder of the magical, musical sound of progressive rock magical...

I have over 30 Barclay James Harvest albums, so I suppose that I like them!!!! You'll never hear them on the radio or television though, which is a shame as they make excellent music.

Archived