Progressive Rock

LedNoodle

I have over 30 Barclay James Harvest albums, so I suppose that I like them!!!! You'll never hear them on the radio or television though, which is a shame as they make excellent music.

This one I always loved a LOT the line, "Valley's deep and mountain's so high, you wanna see god you gotta move on to the other side" reminds me of people who give up, I'm not big into this type of music but that line really touched me and this song I like a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aPnFTFrg5k

Can someone explain to me what exactly is "progressive rock",? These fucking names and titles drive me batty. Does it mean music which has keyboards in it?

I'm hardly an expert but my understanding is that, yes, progressive rock always has keyboards. It may also have instruments like flutes or violins. Also, the electric guitar doesn't play as big a role in prog rock as it does in other rock genres.

Progressive rock, also known as prog rock or prog, is a rock music subgenre[2] that originated in the United Kingdomwith further developments in Germany, Italy, and France, throughout the mid-to-late 1960s and 1970s. It developed from psychedelic rock, and originated, similarly to art rock, as an attempt to give greater artistic weight and credibility to rock music.[3] Bands abandoned the short pop single in favor of instrumentation and compositional techniques more frequently associated with jazz or classical music in an effort to give rock music the same level of musical sophistication and critical respect.[4]

Progressive rock sometimes abandons the danceable beat that defines earlier rock styles[5] and is more likely to experiment with compositional structure, instrumentation, harmony and rhythm, and lyrical content.[6] It may demand more effort on the part of the listener than other types of music.[7] Musicians in progressive rock typically display a high degree of instrumental skill.[8][9]Musical forms are blurred through the use of extended sections and of musical interludes that bridge separate sections together, which results in classical-style suites. Early progressive rock groups expanded the timbral palette of the then-traditional rock instrumentation by adding instruments more typical of folk music, jazz or music in the classical tradition. A number of bands, especially at the genre's onset, recorded albums in which they performed together with a full orchestra.[10] Progressive rock artists are more likely to explore complex time signatures such as 5/8 and 7/8.[11]Tempo, key and time signature changes are common within progressive rock compositions.[12]

Songs were replaced by musical suites that often stretched to 20 or 40 minutes in length and contained symphonic influences, extended musical themes, philosophical, mystical and/or surreal lyrics and complex orchestrations. The genre was not without criticism, however, as some reviewers found the concepts "pretentious" and the sounds "pompous" and "overblown".[13]

Progressive rock saw a high level of popularity throughout the 1970s, especially in the middle of the decade. Bands such as Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, The Moody Blues, Yes, King Crimson, Genesis, and Emerson, Lake & Palmer (ELP) were the genre's most influential groups and were among the most popular acts of the era, although there were many other, often highly influential, bands who experienced a lesser degree of commercial success. The genre faded in popularity during the second half of the decade. Conventional wisdom holds that the rise of punk rock caused this, although in reality a number of factors contributed to this decline.[14] Progressive rock bands achieved commercial success well into the 1980s, albeit with changed lineups and more compact song structures.

The genre grew out of the 1960s space rock of Pink Floyd and the classical rock experiments of bands such as The Moody Blues, Procol Harum and The Nice. Most of the prominent bands from the genre's 1970s heyday fall into the "symphonic prog" category, in which classical orchestrations and compositional techniques are melded with rock music. Other subgenres exist, including the more accessible neo-progressive rock of the 1980s, the jazz-influenced Canterbury sound of the 1960s and 1970s, and the more political and experimental Rock in Opposition movement of the late 1970s and onward.[15] Progressive rock has influenced genres such as krautrock and post-punk, and it has fused with other forms of rock music to create such sub-genres as neo-classical metal and progressive metal. A revival, often known as new prog, occurred at the turn of the 21st century and has since enjoyed a cult following.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_rock

http://www.progarchives.com/

Discover Progressive Rock TOP 100 albums with full length songs*

http://www.progarchives.com/Discover_ProgRock_MP3.asp

I'm hardly an expert but my understanding is that, yes, progressive rock always has keyboards. It may also have instruments like flutes or violins. Also, the electric guitar doesn't play as big a role in prog rock as it does in other rock genres.

So it's rock music with keyboards and other instruments, It's odd that it has to be classified in such an elite sort of way in my view.

So it's rock music with keyboards and other instruments, It's odd that it has to be classified in such an elite sort of way in my view.

add the spoken words and your there... listen to the album Marillion Misplaced Childhood...

• 2 months later...

Can someone explain to me what exactly is "progressive rock",? These fucking names and titles drive me batty. Does it mean music which has keyboards in it?

Not that big of a deal.

Just a description of the style of music.

It seems it would be seen as helpful to have descriptive classifications of various genres in order to differentiate the styles of music.

It helps people to perhaps discover other bands they might enjoy if a person enjoys a particular style or genre of music.

Yes, Moody Blues, Emerson, Lake and Palmer, Rush and even Queen were all considered prog rock pioneers.

More recently, a lot of prog artists emulate 80s metal like Iron Maiden.

An album I really liked was Burn The Sun by Ark.

The singer sounds like a cross between David Coverdale and Ronnie James Dio.

This is an awesome song from the album.

Archived