The Compendium

widget

Rather than clogging up another thread with another post, I thought it might be a good idea to ask general questions under this specific topic.

I am currently compiling a list of all known charting positions for Led Zeppelin albums, both studio and compilations etc. The album charts for both the US, UK and Canada are fairly well known and covered in detail elsewhere. What I am specifically after are the charts for many European, South American, South African, Asian and Oceanic countries. These charts are much more difficult to obtain as well as being contradictory in many cases. Often countries have more than one official album chart or none at all. I have some chart positions but not all but would welcome and further details.

Eye Thank Ewe.

Also if anyone knows when and where the purported Holiday Inn meeting took place for The Yardbirds that would be cool.

"There was a big row in a Holiday Inn. So I drafted out a letter giving Jimmy the rights to the name, which they all signed." - Peter Grant, in Peter Grant: The Man Who Led Zeppelin by Chris Welch. Page 54.

Meg

Rather than clogging up another thread with another post, I thought it might be a good idea to ask general questions under this specific topic.

I am currently compiling a list of all known charting positions for Led Zeppelin albums, both studio and compilations etc. The album charts for both the US, UK and Canada are fairly well known and covered in detail elsewhere. What I am specifically after are the charts for many European, South American, South African, Asian and Oceanic countries. These charts are much more difficult to obtain as well as being contradictory in many cases. Often countries have more than one official album chart or none at all. I have some chart positions but not all but would welcome and further details.

Eye Thank Ewe.

Check this out

http://www.ukmix.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28054

http://www.austriancharts.com/ Select different countries and search under album. For Norway all the albums are listed

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody know the name of the mysterious girl dressed in black who appears on the side of the stage, sometimes sitting either on top of stage gear on amp stacks, at Royal Albert Hall January 1970? She's obviously not Charlotte Martin. Her appearance has been edited out of the official DVD but you can still see her on a number of bootleg DVDs of that concert.

Meg

Anybody know the name of the mysterious girl dressed in black who appears on the side of the stage, sometimes sitting either on top of stage gear on amp stacks, at Royal Albert Hall January 1970? She's obviously not Charlotte Martin. Her appearance has been edited out of the official DVD but you can still see her on a number of bootleg DVDs of that concert.

Meg

Speaking of photo editing, I saw the exact same photo twice today with Jimmy and a girl in a black dress, but the faces were different, completely different. Same photo. Someone's photoshop happy, but why?

Also, any info on his family? Who is he related to? I have good reason for asking,

Speaking of photo editing, I saw the exact same photo twice today with Jimmy and a girl in a black dress, but the faces were different, completely different. Same photo. Someone's photoshop happy, but why?

Also, any info on his family? Who is he related to? I have good reason for asking,

You mean Jimmy's family? His father is James Patrick Page and mother Patricia Elizabeth Page (née Gaffikin).

Meg

Meg

The girl might possibly be Heather Taylor. It was Heather who introduced Charlotte to Jimmy on his 26th birthday January 9 in 1970 at RAH.

She was then Roger Daltrey's girlfriend(next year married).

She and Charlotte seemed to have been friends in 60's. Both of them were fashion models.

This is Heather.

38448_large.jpg

The girl might possibly be Heather Taylor. It was Heather who introduced Charlotte to Jimmy on his 26th birthday January 9 in 1970 at RAH.

She was then Roger Daltrey's girlfriend(next year married),and she and Charlotte seemed to have been friends in 60's. Both of them were fashion models.

Pure genius Alice. Thank you so much for this. :beer:

Meg

Also if anyone knows when and where the purported Holiday Inn meeting took place for The Yardbirds that would be cool.

"There was a big row in a Holiday Inn. So I drafted out a letter giving Jimmy the rights to the name, which they all signed." - Peter Grant, in Peter Grant: The Man Who Led Zeppelin by Chris Welch. Page 54.

Meg

Assuming this was during their last USA tour (Apr-May '68) (which they knew was to be the last when they all boarded the plane for America) I suggest it very well may have been in Chicago (April '68...exact date unconfirmed).

Led Zeppelin stayed at the Holiday Inn in Chicago when they performed at the Kinetic Playgound the following year (7/19/69).

Assuming this was during their last USA tour (Apr-May '68) (which they knew was to be the last when they all boarded the plane for America) I suggest it very well may have been in Chicago (April '68...exact date unconfirmed).

Led Zeppelin stayed at the Holiday Inn in Chicago when they performed at the Kinetic Playgound the following year (7/19/69).

Thanks Steve, interesting. I was thinking it may have been later in the tour. I came across this statement earlier in my searching:

"Chris Dreja: The Yardbirds weren’t a violent band in any shape or form. In fact, we avoided conflict most of the time. We got through nearly all of our gigs unscathed, even in the Deep South. We weren’t crazy looking if you look at photos from that time. But we must have been strange looking to America in the ’60s, especially in the South. Even in our own country, where there’s some pretty tough areas, I think there was only one time that we needed to get the local authorities to help assist us from a venue because of some aggravation. But we never really ran into much trouble. I remember one story about The Animals when they played in Montgomery, Alabama or someplace like that. They had a black road manager. They put him in a cupboard in a Holiday Inn, not even a proper suite. After the concert, everybody was hot and they went for a swim, including this guy. The next day they fumigated the pool, drained it and everything. But the only sort of controversy I can remember us experiencing is being refused entrance to Disney Land because our hair was too long!"

Source: http://members.tripod.com/cathead9tx/id35_m.htm

Their last American performance as we all know was at Montgomery, Alabama. Did they stay at the same Holiday Inn in Montgomery, as The Animals did previously? We know Peter Grant also acted as manager for The Animals on their US tour, so he would have previously known about the place.

In Peter Grant: The Man Who Led Zeppelin, page 30:

"... on early trips to the US, Peter handled Herman's Hermits as well as The Animals and gained plenty of useful knowledge about the live US music scene and record industry. He saw at first hand the gun-toting cops, the 'crazies' in the crowds who might attack long-haired pop stars and the racism and bigotry still prevalent in the South. Eric Burdon once witnessed him [Grant] purple with rage, screaming abuse at Ku Klux Klan protesters handing out racist literature at a concert."

We need to confirm where The Yardbirds stayed while at Montgomery, Alabama. If it's the Holiday Inn, it may well be the one, considering this was also The Yardbirds final performance in America.

Meg

Their last American performance as we all know was at Montgomery, Alabama. Did they stay at the same Holiday Inn in Montgomery, as The Animals did previously? We know Peter Grant also acted as manager for The Animals on their US tour, so he would have previously known about the place.

In Richard Cole's book 'Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin Uncensored' he relates an anecdote about them (The Yardbirds) lounging by the hotel pool in Montgomery, AL before the final show (6/5/68) as news of Robert Kennedy's assasination dominated

the radio airwaves. Very well may have been the same Holiday Inn associated with

The Animals tour anecdote.

From Alan Clayson's The Yardbirds: The Band That Launched Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, page 118:

"Supported by the otherwise unsung Lynton Grae Sound, The Yardbirds downed tools as a working band on 7th July 1968, a drizzling Sunday evening. In the inauspicious setting of Luton Technical College, they'd run through this final evensong anyhow; Keith forgetting words and Chris fluffing one or two bass runs as Jimmy tried to make a show of it."

I can't imagine why Clayson would make up that story. I'm not convinced they didn't perform that day.

Meg

In Richard Cole's book 'Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin Uncensored' he relates an anecdote about them (The Yardbirds) lounging by the hotel pool in Montgomery, AL before the final show (6/5/68) as news of Robert Kennedy's assasination dominated

the radio airwaves. Very well may have been the same Holiday Inn associated with

The Animals tour anecdote.

May explain the gap between the end of the Yardbirds American tour and July 7. The Relf and McCarty simply didn't want to do any further added-on shows in the States and so flew back home after Montogmery. The Scandinavian tour was to fulfil a pre-existing Yardbirds commitments as was the Mayfair gig, and quite possibly the Luton show as well.

Meg

I can't imagine why Clayson would make up that story.

To perpetuate the die-hards notion that The Yardbirds still had a following in England.

I'm not saying he made it up, just saying I'd be very interested to know what source(s) he used for substantiation as I have never seen any physical evidence to suggest they

did perform in Luton on 7/7/68.

Relf and McCarty simply didn't want to do any further added-on shows in the States and so flew back home after Montogmery.

Possibly. I've never heard anything to suggest there was any inclination to add on additional US dates. They'd actually taken several days off (May 26-30) in-between

the San Francisco and Los Angeles gigs (May 26-30)to allow Dreja and Relf to take a five-day photographic excursion to Mexico, knowing this was their last American tour.

Apparently, on June 3rd they had a studio session at Columbia Studios in New York where they worked on 'My Baby', 'Tangerine', 'Spanish Blood' and an unidentified track.

They actually took a bus all the way to Montgomery from New York the next day. I can see where that may have been the last straw for everyone except Jimmy, or at least put everybody on edge, possibly leading to a row where Peter stepped in and had them

sign over the name to Jimmy. Pure speculation at this point.

• 1 month later...

I finally managed to get a hold of NME dated July 13, 1968. On page 8 reads: "Yardbirds Break In Two", which discusses Dreja and Page forming a new line-up with Scandinavian dates. My only conclusion to this news is that there must have been an announcement during the week, following the July 6 edition. I am following up other papers.

Meg

To perpetuate the die-hards notion that The Yardbirds still had a following in England.

I'm not saying he made it up, just saying I'd be very interested to know what source(s) he used for substantiation as I have never seen any physical evidence to suggest they

did perform in Luton on 7/7/68.

Archived