The Compendium

widget

Awww Meg,

It's been discussed ( aka disgusted ) ad nauseaum as to how RS has turned the page and turned to embrace Led Zeppelin as their media darlings to save grace. aka face. Apology NOT accepted.....

tongue in cheek my arse.... or shall I say tongue in *ss cheek!?!

Not just I and II, the other LZ albums also got the short end of their review stick. The problem was not so much Mendelsohn, the problem was more Ben Fong-Torres. As I mentioned earlier elsewhere, he just didn't like LZ (or many other British hard rock bands for that matter). When Fong-Torres left in the 1980s, RS changed its tune on LZ. As editor-in-chief he let his own personal prejudices get in the way of making a professional publication and let scrawlings like that be published. Let's face it, Mendelsohn's review is something you would find buried in an undergradute uni rag next to stick cartoons and jock humour, not an established music magazine.

As for the claim most critics hated LZ, that's patently not true. OZ, Vibes, Music Scene, Melody Maker, Record Review, LA Free Times, Crawdaddy, Rock, Zoo World, Phonograph all gave reasonable reviews of the band.

Meg

Always thought LZ1 & LZ111 got the poor reviews from Rolling Stone...!

It was reviewed by Jim Miller in the 27 April 1975 issue. The kindest review RS gave LZ in the 1970s, referring to it as their 'tour de force', compared with Gordon Fletcher's 'limp blimp' comments on Houses of the Holy in 1973.

Meg

Thank you Meg, How did Physical Graffiti go down?

It was reviewed by Jim Miller in the 27 April 1975 issue. The kindest review RS gave LZ in the 1970s, referring to it as their 'tour de force', compared with Gordon Fletcher's 'limp blimp' comments on Houses of the Holy in 1973.

Meg

I came across Led Zep later than most people on the forum, so until ITTOD The only reviews that

I came to read were the members comments on the Rolling Stone reviews......!

I came across Led Zep later than most people on the forum, so until ITTOD The only reviews that

I came to read were the members comments on the Rolling Stone reviews......!

British Library should have the complete Rolling Stone magazine collection. In fact they should have just about every music publication from the 1970s in there.

Meg

Robert Plant has won an Outstanding Contribution award at this years Q Awards in London:

http://www.gigwise.com/news/53147/Muse-Kasabian-Robert-Plant-Triumph-At-Q-Awards-2009

Meg

Boy they left that kinda vague...outstanding contribution to what exactly ? music ? humanitarian efforts ? soccer aka football? qthemusic.com has no details

Boy they left that kinda vague...outstanding contribution to what exactly ? music ? humanitarian efforts ? soccer aka football? qthemusic.com has no details

Q is a music magazine. Surely it can't be beyond your reach to figure this one out?

Q is a music magazine. Surely it can't be beyond your reach to figure this one out?

Ah Knebby darling so happy to see you back to form. Still open to interpretation... overall? for 2009? To bluegrass music ? to rock n or roll ? to starving artists ? to starving people ? or is it beyond your reach to factually answer a question ?

OK I'll play nice ...while at the awards picking up his gong for outstanding contribution to music, Plant decided to stoke some rumor fires...

Robert Plant says he has spoken to Michael Eavis about performing at Glastonbury 2010 – but he's not sure who it will be with.

Speaking before the Q Awards ceremony at Grosvenor House in London this afternoon, Plant told BBC6music: "I've just been talking to Michael (Eavis). There's place for me there, but I have no idea who with."

Asked if he's open to perform at Worthy Farm next year, the legend added: "There is a chance yeah, but I don't know with who."

Fans, of course, will be hoping that it's Led Zeppelin but in reality it's much more likely to be Robert Plant & Alison Krauss.

http://www.gigwise.com/news/53150/Led-Zeppelins-Robert-Plant-In-Talks-With-Michael-Eavis-About-Glastonbury-2010

Archived