If Zeppelin tour without Robert...

For me, it's all about the Jimmy. He can tour as Jimmy Page & Friends with guest musicians. Or just himself, and call it Jimmy Page & His Invisible Friends, it doesn't matter! I just hope he keeps on playing.

I agree with you. I'd just like to see him do another album or something.

Anything!

Come on Pagey give us an album :)

Jimmy had a vision of the music he wanted to create.

He TEAMED up JPJ and through a series of events he signed Robert and Bonzo up.

As the band evolved it was and still is obvious that Led Zeppelin would not be the same creative force they are (clearly their recorded works rather than as a currently touring band) live, without the original lineup.

What may have started out as Jimmy's band became even bigger than him or any one member.

It doesn't matter who you talk to, mention any of their names and the answer will be the same, "Oh yeah, Led Zeppelin."

We shall all have to wait and see what the future holds, anything is possible and with Jimmy's "project" on the horizon, we may still get to see The White Wizard weaving his magic sooner rather than later.

Oh yeah, it ain't Jimmys band no more and it ain't Led Zeppelin without Bonham, Jones or Plant.

will this topic (thread topic) ever be dropped..? one may never know...

Doubtful. :lol:

IMO, it's like The Stones touring without Mick Jagger. Or Aerosmith touring without Steven Tyler. Many bands can replace a member and carry on. The Stones replaced Brian Jones and it was HIS band! Aerosmith toured without Joe Perry. But frontmen like Plant, Jagger, Daltrey are so iconic and so deeply associated with the band's history, you just can't do it.

Could you imagine U2 touring without Bono? The Police touring without Sting? Impossible! :beer:

Doubtful. :lol:

IMO, it's like The Stones touring without Mick Jagger. Or Aerosmith touring without Steven Tyler. Many bands can replace a member and carry on. The Stones replaced Brian Jones and it was HIS band! Aerosmith toured without Joe Perry. But frontmen like Plant, Jagger, Daltrey are so iconic and so deeply associated with the band's history, you just can't do it.

Could you imagine U2 touring without Bono? The Police touring without Sting? Impossible! :beer:

Impossible - but you can call all of these lineups Deep Purple. :D

Y'know it's funny. I was just revisiting the interviews from VH1 Legends: Led Zeppelin, and Robert and Jimmy were both talking about Zeppelin III, and the critics saying "Why kill a perfectly good career?" to which Robert said "We never relied on formula. You make moves and you make musical turns and twists to satisfy yourself. That's what has to come first." I find it ironic that when Robert pursues that same dedication to craft in his solo career, so many people shit on him for it. Evidently when it's not "our Led Zeppelin", it's pure shameless self-indulgence. Pity that some cannot see that Led Zeppelin in itself was pure self-indulgence. That's what liberated them from formulas and made their music unique. I don't see how a song like Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp, which shocked fans at the time, and was hated by many (Zeppelin go soft), can be so beloved as part of the canon now, a favorite even, yet Raising Sand gets so much negative response from Zeppelin fans. It's all stops on the same path. Why can't people get over Jimmy and Robert not working together and simply respect Robert for staying true to his path? I don't get it.

I've said similar things before, and been labelled a "Plant apologist" for saying so, but why is what made sense then is called bullshit now? It's the same man with the same ambition.

Y'know it's funny. I was just revisiting the interviews from VH1 Legends: Led Zeppelin, and Robert and Jimmy were both talking about Zeppelin III, and the critics saying "Why kill a perfectly good career?" to which Robert said "We never relied on formula. You make moves and you make musical turns and twists to satisfy yourself. That's what has to come first." I find it ironic that when Robert pursues that same dedication to craft in his solo career, so many people shit on him for it. Evidently when it's not "our Led Zeppelin", it's pure shameless self-indulgence. Pity that some cannot see that Led Zeppelin in itself was pure self-indulgence. That's what liberated them from formulas and made their music unique. I don't see how a song like Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp, which shocked fans at the time, and was hated by many (Zeppelin go soft), can be so beloved as part of the canon now, a favorite even, yet Raising Sand gets so much negative response from Zeppelin fans. It's all stops on the same path. Why can't people get over Jimmy and Robert not working together and simply respect Robert for staying true to his path? I don't get it.

I've said similar things before, and been labelled a "Plant apologist" for saying so, but why is what made sense then is called bullshit now? It's the same man with the same ambition.

So true, Ev.

I've said it many times, I can understand people who don't like Raising Sand, or Robert's solo albums. It's not neccesary to follow every step the artists take. What I can't understand is the hostility some so called fans hold against Robert, not only him as a musician but also him as a person. I don't get how people can claim to be a Led Zeppelin fan and have no respect for the leadsinger.

And as you said, he is sticking to his own path, and sticking to the way Led Zeppelin has taken back in the days, I don't see anything wrong with that, I'll be proud of the label "Plant apologist" if called so for that. "Do what thou wilt", eh?

Sadder still is that Plant takes all the blame for there being no future Led Zeppelin. Things have to gel, and when they don't, they don't. So be it. Consider for a moment Jimmy's "people" may have treated Plant in a way that soured him to the idea. Too much Spinal Tap-ish red tape. Too much hassle. Robert might have done this if the love, the bond and the mutual continuation of their musical journey were paramount, but when it gets to "my people will contact your people", all is lost. I think it could've happened. I just don't think Robert is the reason it didn't. I think it's the machine that's taken over. It's up to you to decide who let that happen. I think it's the go-betweens that snuffed it. Hell, Jason was told "it ain't happening" by email from management, after months of working together. Not even a phonecall??? Hey, I love Jimmy. He's my fucking hero! But I think he may have become too pragmatic. The natural ebb and flow seems to have been lost. Robert keeps on groovin and smilin. Keeps on making music and stretching the boundaries. I wish Jimmy would move forward.

Just not with Coverdale! :slapface:

:goodpost:

Well said mate! I don't get it either and I've said the same thing over time. Zep was about anti-formula. Whatever their last album was, they sure as hell weren't going to make a repeat of it for the next one. They took chances. It was about the experimentation, not the ooh let's get a top 40 hit and all. Live was the same way - tight but loose. Again, that's part of what made them so unique. It was honest. Robert very much has continued that mode of creating on his own. Clive Deamer said in 2005 that the spirit of Zep is very much with Robert - he's all about experimenting and trying new avenues. It's one of the reasons I have such a huge amount of respect for him. He could have taken the easy route a million times and he never did. He wasn't looking to match the success Zep had - I've seen that used against him too. His best work was Zep blah blah blah. Well Robert himself said nothing will be what it was but this is a different situation. People slag bands for being formulaic or doing what's been done. Here you have an artist who doesn't follow that and gets trashed for it. He can't win it seems.

It's one thing to just not love some of his music because it doesn't appeal to your ears but the reasons so many don't like it are really pretty sad. Some wouldn't even give Raising Sand a chance because they were mad that a) they think Robert was the reason no more Zep and B) they assumed it was country. I dunno - I'm just rambling here but it doesn't make any sense to me to support that idea in Zep but not support it with Robert.

Cheers for the good post :beer:

Well said Nine. No doubt we'll get our share of flac for being in agreement! :lol:

I just don't get it. One takes a path through ones entire life. Ever moving forward. Exploring new vistas. Never revisiting (though occasionally giving a nod to) paths already trodden. And that's bad? That's ingenuine? The notion leaves me positively flummoxed. People are waiting with baited breath for Jimmy to do ANYTHING. Yet Jimmy is content to bring us new old Zeppelin stuff. Yet people are pissed at Plant because he won't give them newer old Zeppelin stuff. Sure, I'd love to see them do something together! But drag out the Led Zeppelin Revisited Nostalgia Tour? The 02 was a magnificent closer, and without an album it would just be a circus act for desperate fans. Yeah, I'd go, but that's not the point! Robert Plant has a drive to create something new. Without that satisfaction, there is nothing. So who really is to blame?

Well said Nine. No doubt we'll get our share of flac for being in agreement! :lol:

I just don't get it. One takes a path through ones entire life. Ever moving forward. Exploring new vistas. Never revisiting (though occasionally giving a nod to) paths already trodden. And that's bad? That's ingenuine? The notion leaves me positively flummoxed. People are waiting with baited breath for Jimmy to do ANYTHING. Yet Jimmy is content to bring us new old Zeppelin stuff. Yet people are pissed at Plant because he won't give them newer old Zeppelin stuff. Sure, I'd love to see them do something together! But drag out the Led Zeppelin Revisited Nostalgia Tour? The 02 was a magnificent closer, and without an album it would just be a circus act for desperate fans. Yeah, I'd go, but that's not the point! Robert Plant has a drive to create something new. Without that satisfaction, there is nothing. So who really is to blame?

I'm sure we will but I don't give a toss ;)

I don't get it either. Life in general is about possibility. There's so much out there to explore - if you are content staying on the same road, that's fine but why slag those that aren't. And the fact so many here obviously love and worship Zep and talk about how they weren't like any other band etc., but are pissed at Robert because he's still got that passion for "new" in him makes absolutely no sense. I think it's pretty fantastic that he's been doing this for 40 plus years and he STILL has that curiosity to move forward and not rest on his laurels. To me that is just brill.

I don't need them to get back together unless they felt it was right. I think the 02 was a magnificant ending for them. They went out on a high in true Zep style. I hope they individually create music for us for many years to come.

So in essence, what's being said is that Robert Plant is an arse because nothing Jimmy Page has proposed moves him. That makes Robert a self-indulgent prick. Zeppelin fans burning Alison Krauss in effigy. How sad. :slapface:

We're waiting Jimmy. We love you. Give us something! :beer:

Archived