If Zeppelin tour without Robert...

I agree. I have no problem with any of them performing Zep songs or not; they can play whatever their hearts desire. That issue comes up from time to time, especially in Robert's case.

I don't either. They all have on their own and it doesn't bother me in the least. I've always liked the reworkings. To me it shows how amazing the songs are that they can be interpreted in different ways and still work IMO.

I think people confuse Robert saying he doesn't want to relive the past meaning he has issues with it or hated his time in Zep. All I've heard/read he's quite proud of it which is why it's been a part of his shows. His reworking of the songs generally seem to be done to fit whatever he's doing - Strange Sensation had a more North African feel, Alison and T Bone they have a rootsier feel etc.

Led Zeppelin CAN'T play without Robert, it's sad but it is so. Robert is a legend and he has a voice no other has, the "Led Zeppelin-voice". If Jason weren't so good that he is i would say the same if the played now, because John Bonham was a legend to on his drums.

But if i must choose a singer who can be good is the singer in Nazareth, Dan McCafferty. He has that high pitch voice who fits in Led. But Led Zeppelin nearly MUST have Robert if it should be the real Led Zeppelin.

Plus, though I was kidding before, you could always ask him about his new album with Alison, Kentuckygirl! ;)

I hope he shows up for the Americana award show, however now that Jason has made certain statements to the media I fear that the British tabloids will send people over to stalk him and he will stay away. (The Daily Mail sent stalkarazzi when Keith Urban and Nicole Kidman's baby arrived a couple of months ago and they created complete chaos. Nashville has a reputation for allowing celebs to go about their business in peace and that is why so many of them choose to live and raise their families here). I have third row seats and tickets to some over events connected with the show. Although the liklihood of me meeting him is slim (my luck doesn't run that way) I will post a full report on the board of the show and anything I find out. All my sources in Nashville are still telling me his work in Nashville will be done by the end of the year. We will see soon how good my sources are.

And if I meet him face-to-face, my Appalachian twang will drive the conversation, unfortunately. I did part of my graduate degree at a University in England and everywhere I went, from London to Liverpool, my accent attracted attention from the Brits. I sound like Loretta Lynn. I wish I could fix it, everytime I go into meetings north of Cincinnati I have to work 100 times harder to prove myself, but it is something I cannot erase. If I meet RP he will want to talk about my accent. Happens every time. Guaranteed like death and taxes. :(

I hope he shows up for the Americana award show, however now that Jason has made certain statements to the media I fear that the British tabloids will send people over to stalk him and he will stay away. (The Daily Mail sent stalkarazzi when Keith Urban and Nicole Kidman's baby arrived a couple of months ago and they created complete chaos. Nashville has a reputation for allowing celebs to go about their business in peace and that is why so many of them choose to live and raise their families here). I have third row seats and tickets to some over events connected with the show. Although the liklihood of me meeting him is slim (my luck doesn't run that way) I will post a full report on the board of the show and anything I find out. All my sources in Nashville are still telling me his work in Nashville will be done by the end of the year. We will see soon how good my sources are.

And if I meet him face-to-face, my Appalachian twang will drive the conversation, unfortunately. I did part of my graduate degree at a University in England and everywhere I went, from London to Liverpool, my accent attracted attention from the Brits. I sound like Loretta Lynn. I wish I could fix it, everytime I go into meetings north of Cincinnati I have to work 100 times harder to prove myself, but it is something I cannot erase. If I meet RP he will want to talk about my accent. Happens every time. Guaranteed like death and taxes. :(

Yes, please keep us posted! How do these sources know for sure his work in Nashville will be "done" by the end of the year?? I can't see him and Alison making another album that quickly,since I am pretty sure they will tour again to support the follow up to Raising Sand, but it may not be until late 2009 early 2010 since she has to get back to work with Union Station. But then again, it depends on the time they want to get back into the studio together. It may not be until late next year at the latest.

Yes, please keep us posted! How do these sources know for sure his work in Nashville will be "done" by the end of the year?? I can't see him and Alison making another album that quickly,since I am pretty sure they will tour again to support the follow up to Raising Sand, but it may not be until late 2009 early 2010 since she has to get back to work with Union Station. But then again, it depends on the time they want to get back into the studio together. It may not be until late next year at the latest.

Raising Sand was actually recorded in the fall of 2006, with some post-production work in 2007. The tour did not commence until April 2008. There is a lot of "chatter" from industry insiders about the second album and T-Bone's schedule. There is zero chatter about a second tour. Zero. The only people talking about a second RPAK tour are on this board. Even the Union Station die-hards that think Robert is the Antichrist have calmed down somewhat.

Beverly Keel of the Tennessean has a great inside track on everything going on in the town and she is reporting plans for a follow-up CD are tentative, but has not typed the word "tour" at all. We just are not hearing anything about a second tour on the usual grapevine here. I guess that is why I am saving my money.

I've heard that about Nashville which is one of the reasons it's become a draw to celebrities. The whole paparrazi thing has really gotten out of hand. Celebs expect a certain amount of attention in public but what they'll do for a photo I don't get how they are allowed to get away with it :(

You studied in England :o Lucky you!

Raising Sand was actually recorded in the fall of 2006, with some post-production work in 2007. The tour did not commence until April 2008. There is a lot of "chatter" from industry insiders about the second album and T-Bone's schedule. There is zero chatter about a second tour. Zero. The only people talking about a second RPAK tour are on this board. Even the Union Station die-hards that think Robert is the Antichrist have calmed down somewhat.

Beverly Keel of the Tennessean has a great inside track on everything going on in the town and she is reporting plans for a follow-up CD are tentative, but has not typed the word "tour" at all. We just are not hearing anything about a second tour on the usual grapevine here. I guess that is why I am saving my money.

Yes, I know it took a little over a year to totally complete Raising Sand. I was just guessing that there might be another tour if there is another album. I know her die hards are anxious for her to get back with Union Station, just as there are many of Robert's die-hards wanting him to get back with Zep or Strange Sensation. I will certainly keep reading Beverly Keel's articles. She does have great knowledge of what is happening in Nashville.

I didn't have time to read all the posts in this thread so forgive me if I say something that has already been covered.

I have a hard time imagining anyone fronting LZ other then Robert.

It would be very hard to accept.

There is no LZ without Robert IMO. He HAS to front the band or it's not LZ.

^^ [This is to melanie] If there is a second CD, there will probably be a second tour eventually, but that doesn't mean it'll be any time soon--especially as they've spent most of this year on this tour.

I emphathize totally. When I moved from England to Virginia, every time I opened my mouth people said "Oh just talk! Say something! I love to hear your accent!" Didn't matter what I said--I felt like a performing parrot. I absolutely hated it, and still do!

But RP has heard so many accents in his time, he might give you a pass. ;)

^^ [This is to melanie] If there is a second CD, there will probably be a second tour eventually, but that doesn't mean it'll be any time soon--especially as they've spent most of this year on this tour.

I emphathize totally. When I moved from England to Virginia, every time I opened my mouth people said "Oh just talk! Say something! I love to hear your accent!" Didn't matter what I said--I felt like a performing parrot. I absolutely hated it, and still do!

But RP has heard so many accents in his time, he might give you a pass. ;)

Ok. Speaking of accents, I have a southern twang which I am very proud of! Makes me mad when some folks from other parts of the state make fun of it! Some guy I met last year did that and I had to set him straight, like "don't make fun of my accent"!! LOL

If Robert said no, I think they should go on w/out him. Now that JPJ is back and w/Bonhams son, it "is" Zeppelin. I agree it wasn't Zep w/P/P, but Jimmy owns the name. Chris Cornell would be my only choice for an established singer. O.K., that Whitestripes guy is cool too. And the WolfMother guy. All of them play guitar and could thicken up the sound in a nice way! But I would definitely say forget about Ozzy, Dio, or Steven Tyler.

If Robert said no, I think they should go on w/out him. Now that JPJ is back and w/Bonhams son, it "is" Zeppelin. I agree it wasn't Zep w/P/P, but Jimmy owns the name. Chris Cornell would be my only choice for an established singer. O.K., that Whitestripes guy is cool too. And the WolfMother guy. All of them play guitar and could thicken up the sound in a nice way! But I would definitely say forget about Ozzy, Dio, or Steven Tyler.

So you think Zep is Jimmy and John Paul and Robert had nothing to do with their sound or success?

Robert has a lot to do with Led Zep and their success, BUT if he isn't interested (in any further Zep projects) why should he be forced? Fans want a tour. Page, Jones, and Bonham are more than willing. If Robert doesn't want in that's his problem. I love him. Don't get me wrong. He's one of my rock heroes. A Legend. My Golden God. LOL! :P But since he doesn't seem to be willing to consider a future Zep related odyssey what are Pagey and JPJ supposed to do? Nothing? I don't think so.

As a hardcore, lifelong Led-Head I'd be willing to go to ANY Zep reunion concert whether Plant is there or not. It would be AMAZING IF Plant were to be a part of it, but if not so be it. I want to to see Page, Jones, and lil' Bonzo. LMAO! :D

So you think Zep is Jimmy and John Paul and Robert had nothing to do with their sound or success?

Not at all! I think everyone was integral to Zep making it! John Bonham was a "Monster". It's great to have this web-site and hear in person peoples reactions to their early shows. I didn't get into Zep till 1985, and didn't get into "Boots" until 89', but I have something from every tour, saw P/P in1995 in Philly 2nd nite, and have the video. I also saw them in Portland Or. in 1998. "Killer Show" don't have that video yet. But when listening to boots I can tune out everyone else and just listen to Bonhams amazing drumming. It is neat hearing peoples opinions of the shows and how they knew Zeppelin was going to be the next "Giant Group" to carry on the torch from Elvis, and the Beatles. Some of them just because of Bonhams wild and precise drumming. Others were amazed at JPJ because of his "Prodigy" Bass playing! I play Bass, Classical Piano, Acoustic and Electric Guitar! I became the most advanced at Piano and have a B.A in Music performance, I am nowhere near as advanced at the guitar or Bass, but did play in some bands. I never played the drums, but have seen a lot of concerts and listened to all of the best bands and bonham still floors me. JPJ also his bass playing esp. in stuff like the Immigrant song, and Dazed is technically awesome. And all of his other skills made him an all important ingredient to Zep. Jimmy was already established, and soooo, great at the guitar, and stage skills such as effects, and the bow, but I don't think people understand how really good he really was. People of my generation have listened to Van Halen, Malmsteen, Steve Vai, and so on. When Zep started all you really had to compare him to were Beck and Clapton, and I think Jimmy blew them away for several years. And I don't think Zep would have flew at all w/out Robert! He is an amazing individual. What a voice and stage presence he made. And his look made him the sexiest rock god ever. And his lyrics are awesome, and fit Jimmy's and JPJ's music so well! I'm just thinking about the present. Those 3 are ready to rock! They were all great in the Reunion gig, including Robert! If Robert would rather croon and be mellow let him go. I think they are too old to wait another year or so for Plant, and I don't think they should just do a few shows here an there. Jimmy needs the ultimate commitment, to get his skills back up, and for the band as a whole to be tight. I loved watching Jonesy in the Reunion gig. He looked so happy! Hope this helps you understand my point of view. I love Robert Plant w/Zep. He had a great solo career, but unfortunately I don't like much of it, and really only care to see Robert w/ Jimmy. Jimmy and the music of Zep bring out the Rock God in Robert. And personally that's the only Robert I like.

I don't see that anybody could disagree much. Johnnie says he thinks Plant is great, but personally he doesn't care for his solo stuff. (More restrained than the way he's expressed it in other threads, admittedly.) Don't know anybody who'd deny his right to think that (even if they disagree with his view), and he's not accusing Robert of pursuing his solo career out of selfishness, etc., so probably not a good idea to try to provoke an argument which everybody is tired of.

In fact, the only part of Johnnie's post I'd object to is his username--really, Gestapo?? (Spelled however.) Of course, if that's your real name--unfortunate though it is--I withdraw the objection and apologize. :D

I don't see that anybody could disagree much. Johnnie says he thinks Plant is great, but personally he doesn't care for his solo stuff. (More restrained than the way he's expressed it in other threads, admittedly.) Don't know anybody who'd deny his right to think that (even if they disagree with his view), and he's not accusing Robert of pursuing his solo career out of selfishness, etc., so probably not a good idea to try to provoke an argument which everybody is tired of.

In fact, the only part of Johnnie's post I'd object to is his username--really, Gestapo?? (Spelled however.) Of course, if that's your real name--unfortunate though it is--I withdraw the objection and apologize. :D

My name isn't anti-semetic or for hate purposes. One, it rhymes, and I always liked that get-up of Jimmy Page, with the hat and boots on. Another thing, I do like Robert Plant. I have Principle of Moments, Manic Nirvana, and I think one more, I'd have to look in my old tape collection. I liked that song "Tall cool one" "Ship of fools" and esp. Slow Dancer! But I can't collect or get into Plant like I can Zep. My number one dream would be to see them as Zeppelin w/ Plant for sure. o2 was great. I have also seen P/P 1995 and 1998!

So well said Johnnie. Be prepared though. There are many here that can't handle another opinion when it comes to Robert. They do not understand that you can like someone and be critical at the same time.

Go for it Page, JPJ, and Jason. It would be nice if Robert came along but you will do great even without him. Especially considering that he does not have interest anymore. Probably do even better.

I'll reply to this one too. I love Robert Plant, don't get me wrong. In fact when it comes to other people, say, Great White, Tribute Bands, and whoever, singing Zep I am usually disappointed. Plant has varied interests, and is really enjoying himself right now. If he doesn't want to re-tread the same material as Zep I could understand that. Just going out as a foursome w/JPJ and Bonham as Zeppelin, and not P/P, or Jimmy w/ the "Black Crowes" or Led ZeppelinW/Jack White, it's going to take on a huge life of it's own. It will be a complete circus again! Maybe Plant is happier singing mellow versions of his songs w/ Allison, in a more controlled environment. As far as if they have to bring in another singer, I think it's because Jimmy is pretty old! He can't afford to just let the moment pass if Plant isn't fully committed.

Not to beat the dead horse too much, but I want to point out that it's not pursuing a solo career that people find selfish. I've said what feels like two dozen times, more power to him, on that score. Somehow, the point always seems to be missed, though.

I think Plant has a great voice, too. His lyrics are some of my favorite (admittedly, ususally the lyrics from the Zeppelin era, but 'Mighty Rearranger' has some nice stuff on it, too).

It's saying how his other behavior makes some of us feel that starts these "arugments." But people should be allowed to say how they honestly feel, shouldn't they?

Archived