If Zeppelin tour without Robert...

Not to beat the dead horse too much, but I want to point out that it's not pursuing a solo career that people find selfish. I've said what feels like two dozen times, more power to him, on that score. Somehow, the point always seems to be missed, though.

I think Plant has a great voice, too. His lyrics are some of my favorite (admittedly, ususally the lyrics from the Zeppelin era, but 'Mighty Rearranger' has some nice stuff on it, too).

It's saying how his other behavior makes some of us feel that starts these "arugments." But people should be allowed to say how they honestly feel, shouldn't they?

Out of curiosity.....what "other" behavior are you referring to?

With what? :huh:

It has a "Ring" to it, not a rhyme. Like "Johnny Rod" (later W.A.S.P. Guitarist?) "Johnny Guitar", "Johnny Zep" ( Local tribute band singer.) But I've always liked Racey names. W.A.S.P. are they White Anglo Saxon Protestants, or are they a Bee? KISS, are they Knights In Satans Service, or just another band. My "Dream name" if I ever had my own band would have been "Johnnie Gestappo" and the KGB! (Killer Garage Band) When I played piano in recitals and all that, I was Johnny W/ the Killer Black Grand. That's why I relate closer to JPJ. I do play Bass, Electric and acoustic guitar, but mostly piano. Hope I haven't offended anyone!

Well, it's just my personal opinion and I haven't seen anyone else object, but I don't associate the Gestapo with anything remotely cool. I wasn't keen on those pics of Jimmy for that reason, either. But like I said, nobody else seems to mind, so . . .

Well, I think it's really just a "gimmick". LZ didn't need a gimmick when they started out, just Jimmys' reputation, smarts, and let's not forget to mention P.Grant. And w/out the rest of the band i don't think it would have worked. Each person made everything bigger and better. Maybe Jimmy felt like he needed a "gimmick" at that point in his life.

Well, I think it's really just a "gimmick". LZ didn't need a gimmick when they started out, just Jimmys' reputation, smarts, and let's not forget to mention P.Grant. And w/out the rest of the band i don't think it would have worked. Each person made everything bigger and better. Maybe Jimmy felt like he needed a "gimmick" at that point in his life.

I'm not sure I'm understanding you--I'm having that trouble a lot tonight!--but I take it you're saying that Jimmy wearing those clothes was a gimmick? And that your username somehow reflects that gimmick? If I've got that right, I'd say that both just show a terrible lapse of good taste, IMO. Neither Jimmy nor you need that sort of ugly "gimmick." :(

Well, it's just my personal opinion and I haven't seen anyone else object, but I don't associate the Gestapo with anything remotely cool. I wasn't keen on those pics of Jimmy for that reason, either. But like I said, nobody else seems to mind, so . . .

I mind,I think it's right shitty myself.I'm not Jewish but I grew up with quite a few of them and some of their parents,(who I had the pleasure to meet) had the #'s tattooed on them.We also had a Holocaust "club" where kids could meet and talk about their parents and grandparents and other siblings who were either murdered or got out.....So yeah,I mind! <_< It's offensive Johnnie :angry:

I'm not sure I'm understanding you--I'm having that trouble a lot tonight!--but I take it you're saying that Jimmy wearing those clothes was a gimmick? And that your username somehow reflects that gimmick? If I've got that right, I'd say that both just show a terrible lapse of good taste, IMO. Neither Jimmy nor you need that sort of ugly "gimmick." :(

Well, I would never be able to justify this to you. And it is un-justifiable. (sp?) You sound like a wonderful person! Another great thing about Zep is they were "mostly" positive and "politically correct." I think I understand your perspective. Wearing the hat makes you just as bad as the haters? What do you think of the "good ole skynard lovin' boys" wavin' the southern flag?

I mind,I think it's right shitty myself.I'm not Jewish but I grew up with quite a few of them and some of their parents,(who I had the pleasure to meet) had the #'s tattooed on them.We also had a Holocaust "club" where kids could meet and talk about their parents and grandparents and other siblings who were either murdered or got out.....So yeah,I mind! <_< It's offensive Johnnie :angry:

Wow! I get to hear from you again! I'm glad though. The lead singer in my 1st band was Jewish. Not very close to Zep, more Green Day and John Cougar. Not my call though, I was just the bass player. If it is such an issue why do you like LZ. Why haven't you burned all of their albums since jimmy played in a NAZI uniform? People take things way to personally these days!

(This is a general fast reply)

Most definitely not call it Led Zeppelin. The same way as Robert didn't want Zep to go on without John Bonham, Zep cannot go on as Zep without Robert Plant or Jimmy Page or John Paul Jones.

You're right about one thing Gestappo, each of them made the band bigger, even though Jimmy Page conceived it. Four or None (Jason counting as a Bonham).

The three should by all means tour without the wild card Robert Plant, if he declines, but please don't call it Led Zeppelin. Robert didn't call it Zep with just Jimmy Page in Gallow's Pole and Unledded. Respect where respect is due.

And yes, NO to Steven Tyler, Ozzy, Axl Rose, or David Coverdale. It will be like faking Robert Plant. Since Jimmy Page seems to lean towards mainstream these days, maybe a fresh unknown talented singer like someone said here, or a cavalcade of guest appearances. Although I really don't know about other singers singing Zep songs. Only Robert can bring the personality to any Zep song. A new song maybe, but their old songs? The songs are not same without Robert Plant.

IMHO.

Most definitely not call it Led Zeppelin. The same way as Robert didn't want Zep to go on without John Bonham, Zep cannot go on as Zep without Robert Plant or Jimmy Page or John Paul Jones.

You're right about one thing Gestappo, each of them made the band bigger, even though Jimmy Page conceived it. Four or None (Jason counting as a Bonham).

The three should by all means tour without the wild card Robert Plant, if he declines, but please don't call it Led Zeppelin. Robert didn't call it Zep with just Jimmy Page in Gallow's Pole and Unledded. Respect where respect is due.

And yes, NO to Steven Tyler, Ozzy, Axl Rose, or David Coverdale. It will be like faking Robert Plant. Since Jimmy Page seems to lean towards mainstream these days, maybe a fresh unknown talented singer like someone said here, or a cavalcade of guest appearances. Although I really don't know about other singers singing Zep songs. Only Robert can bring the personality to any Zep song. A new song maybe, but their old songs? The songs are not same without Robert Plant.

IMHO.

I agree with you about bringing in an unknown singer with a different style. It's hard to imagine others singing Zep tunes but then again, Robert has had a variety of guitar players perform Zep on stage. I think if you listen open mindedly and not expect it to sound like what it was, there are great possibilities for some cool interpretations!

Hi again Gestappo, with due respect but I also wish you'd change your user name. I have no first hand encounter with any Jewish person, but I am one of those who find the name offensive. Any reminders of any genocidal atrocities are never cool. Let's not the slightest trivialize such things lest we forget. Rest in peace to the victims of holocaust.

Thanks.

I agree with you about bringing in an unknown singer with a different style. It's hard to imagine others singing Zep tunes but then again, Robert has had a variety of guitar players perform Zep on stage. I think if you listen open mindedly and not expect it to sound like what it was, there are great possibilities for some cool interpretations!

Perhaps. Afterall, true, Robert has sang Zep songs with his own bands.

So long as they're not called Zeppelin.

Wow! I get to hear from you again! I'm glad though. The lead singer in my 1st band was Jewish. Not very close to Zep, more Green Day and John Cougar. Not my call though, I was just the bass player. If it is such an issue why do you like LZ. Why haven't you burned all of their albums since jimmy played in a NAZI uniform? People take things way to personally these days!

People who lost family in the Holocaust or had to escape their town might find it offensive and they might also not have been enamoured with Jimmy's donning of a Nazi uniform.

IMHO.

Right on! I'm glad you mentioned Axl Rose, I was going to mention that as a Joke. I saw Guns & Roses in germany at the manheim airfield right before use your illusions came out. I was in "Awe", one of the best shows I ever witnessed. NIN Boo'd off the stage, Skid Row (Great Show), G&R were Monsters! My other Awesome show (Not inc. P/P) was Whitesnake, before I was really "Zep-Obsessed" they blew Motley Crue off the stage when Motley was head-lining the Girls-girls-girls tour. Later I got into boot-legs of Zep, and realized how lacking every other super-band is, as compared to zep. I dare anyone..... Watch any "Live Van Halen" any "Live Whitesnake" and compare it to "Earls court, or maid in L.A 75', or any of the L.A. 77' Footage for that matter. Zep Kills em' All! I'm still holding out for Robert Plant. W/out Robert Jimmy and the Gang can tour and have fun. With Robert, they have the "Keys to the World". I just hate getting my hopes up.

If it is such an issue why do you like LZ. Why haven't you burned all of their albums since jimmy played in a NAZI uniform? People take things way to personally these days!

You're posting to 10,000 people,do you really think you've offended no one? Not just here,but in other posts?

If Jimmy was still wearing a nazi uni,I'm sure he would be embarassed.

We all do stupid stuff when we're young,what's your excuse?

Hi again Gestappo, with due respect but I also wish you'd change your user name. I have no first hand encounter with any Jewish person, but I am one of those who find the name offensive. Any reminders of any genocidal atrocities are never cool. Let's not the slightest trivialize such things lest we forget. Rest in peace to the victims of holocaust.

Thanks.

Maybe I could change my on-line name to "AssHat". I think that is what I was called after one of my other responses.

Well, I would never be able to justify this to you. And it is un-justifiable. (sp?) You sound like a wonderful person! Another great thing about Zep is they were "mostly" positive and "politically correct." I think I understand your perspective. Wearing the hat makes you just as bad as the haters? What do you think of the "good ole skynard lovin' boys" wavin' the southern flag?

This isn't a trivial thing like being politically correct. Plus I'm not saying that wearing the hat or using the name makes you a Nazi, I'm saying that wearing the hat or using the name trivializes everything the Gestapo did. I wish Jimmy hadn't done it, but he never repeated it--he didn't dress that way every time we saw him. Whereas, we have to use that name every time we address you, and when you have stuff worth saying, that means you put some people off (glad I'm not the only one!) before they even start reading. Why sell yourself short? Oh, and I don't like the use of the battleflag either, but that's for another time.

Perhaps you could re-think it? (Now the great thing about ass-hat is that it rhymes with a whole bunch of stuff! :D )

This quote is from Jimmy at the Mojo Awards, as published in the latest 'Tight But Loose':

'The thing is, to do a Led Zeppelin tour you have to have, with Jason - the four members as it was at the O2 Arena of Led Zeppelin together - and at this point in time Robert is continuing with his duet or solo career. So you can't really have an honourable Led Zeppelin tour without the four members.'

This quote is from Jimmy at the Mojo Awards, as published in the latest 'Tight But Loose':

'The thing is, to do a Led Zeppelin tour you have to have, with Jason - the four members as it was at the O2 Arena of Led Zeppelin together - and at this point in time Robert is continuing with his duet or solo career. So you can't really have an honourable Led Zeppelin tour without the four members.'

Says it all, doesn't it? B)

Archived