More Zep Jep

Dirigible

Okay, gang, time for another lightning round!

1. BONZO FOR 50 POINTS: Who called Ludwig drums on behalf of John Henry and scored him an endorsement?

2. BONZO FOR 100 POINTS: What brand of traps was Bonzo bashing when he got the Zep gig?

3. THE ALBUMS FOR TOTAL A OF 150 POINTS: Who engineered the first three records? 50 per answer.

4. THE ALBUMS FOR 100 POINTS: Page had taken the master of LZ4 to mix at a so-called hot studio in L.A. When he returned to England and played the mixes back for the band they ‘sounded like they’d gone through an odd process’ and the whole thing had to be remixed except for one song. Name it.

5. THE ALBUMS FOR 150 POINTS: What two Led Zeppelin songs did Page and Plant re-record with other musicians in the early 70s? Where did they record them? Each answer is worth 50.

6. WHAT’S IN A NAME FOR A TOTAL OF 350 POINTS: Led Zeppelin performed under at least three different names between 1968 and 1980. The first one from 1968 is only worth 50 points. The second is 100 points. The third 200. Judges want them in chronological order please. Good luck!

7. WHAT’S IN A NAME FOR 150 POINTS: Page’s father had a long-standing auto company business in Epsom. What was it named?

8. THE SHOW MUST GO ON FOR A TOTAL OF 200 POINTS: Led Zeppelin prematurely ended four performances. Name the city and the year for 50 points each. Extra credit: why were these shows abandoned?

9. RUNES FOR A TOTAL OF 100 POINTS: For 50 points what rune never appeared on a Zep stage decorating a piece of sound gear or musical instrument? Whose rune endured the longest onstage (except Jimmy Page’s)? 50 big ones!

10. ACCOMMODATIONS FOR A TOTAL OF 150 POINTS: Name three hotels LZ enjoyed staying at while touring America for 50 points apiece.

Okay, gang, time for another lightning round!

1. BONZO FOR 50 POINTS: Who called Ludwig drums on behalf of John Henry and scored him an endorsement?

2. BONZO FOR 100 POINTS: What brand of traps was Bonzo bashing when he got the Zep gig?

3. THE ALBUMS FOR TOTAL A OF 150 POINTS: Who engineered the first three records? 50 per answer.

4. THE ALBUMS FOR 100 POINTS: Page had taken the master of LZ4 to mix at a so-called hot studio in L.A. When he returned to England and played the mixes back for the band they ‘sounded like they’d gone through an odd process’ and the whole thing had to be remixed except for one song. Name it.

5. THE ALBUMS FOR 150 POINTS: What two Led Zeppelin songs did Page and Plant re-record with other musicians in the early 70s? Where did they record them? Each answer is worth 50.

6. WHAT’S IN A NAME FOR A TOTAL OF 350 POINTS: Led Zeppelin performed under at least three different names between 1968 and 1980. The first one from 1968 is only worth 50 points. The second is 100 points. The third 200. Judges want them in chronological order please. Good luck!

7. WHAT’S IN A NAME FOR 150 POINTS: Page’s father had a long-standing auto company business in Epsom. What was it named?

8. THE SHOW MUST GO ON FOR A TOTAL OF 200 POINTS: Led Zeppelin prematurely ended four performances. Name the city and the year for 50 points each. Extra credit: why were these shows abandoned?

9. RUNES FOR A TOTAL OF 100 POINTS: For 50 points what rune never appeared on a Zep stage decorating a piece of sound gear or musical instrument? Whose rune endured the longest onstage (except Jimmy Page’s)? 50 big ones!

10. ACCOMMODATIONS FOR A TOTAL OF 150 POINTS: Name three hotels LZ enjoyed staying at while touring America for 50 points apiece.

LZ I Glyn Johns

LZ II George Chkiantz, Chris Huston, Andy Johns, Eddie Kramer

LZ III Andy Johns, Terry Manning

New Yardbirds

The Nobs

?

Robert Plant's Feather

Bonzo's

For 50 points what rune never appeared on a Zep stage decorating a piece of sound gear or musical instrument? Robert Plants Symbol The Feather

Whose rune endured the longest onstage (except Jimmy Page’s)? John Paul Jones, because bonzos symbol wasnt on his drumsets until 1970(?)

I'll try my luck at a couple:

7. Page Motors

10. Chateau Marmont, Continental Hyatt House, Edgewater Inn

I'll try my luck at a couple:

7. Page Motors

10. Chateau Marmont, Continental Hyatt House, Edgewater Inn

Page Motors eh, dawg? Even if you happen to be a longtime resident of Epsom our judges are dead chuffed by what they deemed the most difficult question in the round and award 150 points plus another meritorious 50 for being first to nail it.

The easiest questions are hard in Led Zep Jep. Good work thus far from all contestants and thanks for participating. Everyone's welcome to play, who's next?

Led Zeppelin prematurely ended four performances. Name the city and the year for 50 points each. Extra credit: why were these shows abandoned?

I've got 5. Although the first may not count.

1970 4-18 Phoenix although they were basically done with the setlist. Only had encores to go. Robert Plant fainted.

1971 Italy-Rowdy crowd/cops-This was the one that was abandoned. They barely got out with their lives.

1977 Chicago-Page collapsed

1977 Tampa-Weather

1980 Nurenburg-Bonzo collapsed

Names question

Led Zeppelin performed under 2 different names not 3

The New Yardbirds in 1968

The Nobs in 1970 Copenhagen I think. After Claude Nobs.

Alex, who is Carmen Appice?

Alex, what are Slingerland Drums? Here is a pic of Bonzo with those drums (courtesy of dazedjeffy)

Slingerland1.jpg

4. THE ALBUMS FOR 100 POINTS: Page had taken the master of LZ4 to mix at a so-called hot studio in L.A. When he returned to England and played the mixes back for the band they 'sounded like they'd gone through an odd process' and the whole thing had to be remixed except for one song. Name it.

Alex, what is Rock and Roll?

The two songs are Friends and Four Sticks. They were recorded with the Bombay Symphony Orchestra at EMI Studios in Bombay, India in April 1972.

6. WHAT'S IN A NAME FOR A TOTAL OF 350 POINTS: Led Zeppelin performed under at least three different names between 1968 and 1980. The first one from 1968 is only worth 50 points. The second is 100 points. The third 200. Judges want them in chronological order please. Good luck!

• The New Yardbirds
  • The Nobs
  • The Electric Magic Show

NOTE: There is a hunt on another forum for actual proof of "The Nobs" billing. Needed is some sort of advertisement, billboard, review, etc. to support the story.

I have 5:

1971.07.05 - Vigorelli Velodrome, Milan, Italy – Stopped after 3 songs due to rioting.

1973.07.18 – Pacific Coliseum, Vancouver, B.C. Canada – Stopped after 10 songs due to Plant illness.

1977.04.09 - Chicago Stadium, Chicago, Illinois – Stopped after 6 songs due to Page illness

1977.06.03 – Tampa Stadium, Tampa, Florida – Stopped after 3 songs due to inclement weather.

1980.06.27 - - Messezentrum Halle, Nuremburg, Germany – Stopped after 3 songs due to Bonham illness.

9. RUNES FOR A TOTAL OF 100 POINTS: For 50 points what rune never appeared on a Zep stage decorating a piece of sound gear or musical instrument? Whose rune endured the longest onstage (except Jimmy Page's)? 50 big ones!

Robert Plant's rune never decorated a piece of sound gear, although his picture (small) can be found below the Ludwig logo on the front of Bonzo's bass drum in a few shots. I would say Bonzo's rune endeared the second longest to Jimmy's.

I am surprised not everyone got this:

1. The Edgewater Inn in Seattle, WA (Mudsharks anyone?)

2. The Continental Hyatt House in L.A. (I am a Golden God!)

3. The Drake Hotel in N.Y. (Hey, where'd my money go?)

1971.07.05 - Vigorelli Velodrome, Milan, Italy – Stopped after 3 songs due to rioting.

1973.07.18 – Pacific Coliseum, Vancouver, B.C. Canada – Stopped after 10 songs due to Plant illness.

1977.04.09 - Chicago Stadium, Chicago, Illinois – Stopped after 6 songs due to Page illness

1977.06.03 – Tampa Stadium, Tampa, Florida – Stopped after 3 songs due to inclement weather.

1980.06.27 - - Messezentrum Halle, Nuremburg, Germany – Stopped after 3 songs due to Bonham illness.

I forgot about the Vancouver show. There's at least 6 if you count Pheonix

Page Motors eh, dawg? Even if you happen to be a longtime resident of Epsom our judges are dead chuffed by what they deemed the most difficult question in the round and award 150 points plus another meritorious 50 for being first to nail it.

I try hard not to answer these questions. Just wanted to mention Page Motors was owned by Jimmy's Uncle, not his Father.

I try hard not to answer these questions.

Knowing that people read them is reward enough for the producers of the show who would like to take this opportunity to thank all our viewers at home. Seriously.

Just wanted to mention Page Motors was owned by Jimmy's Uncle, not his Father.

Thanks for the polite and succinct clarification, Steve. Question 7 was not considered dodgy when created; the source a Chris Salewicz article concerning Knebworth published in England before CREEM reprinted it later in the year. Our people will be in touch with Christopher's people. (Steve, please stick around for question 6 part 3.)

Stargrove Tangie's 200 points remain on the board as Page Motors was the answer judges were seeking.

Resident champs NickZepp (welcome back) and 3hrs are in the lead again. Can they be dethroned? While the suspense mounts let me again thank all participants and viewers, the best aspect of a quiz is I learn stuff too. There are more abandoned shows identified than requested and points are duly awarded, the same goes for the number of hotels.

Our persnickety judges wish to remind contestants the Accommodations question asks for hotels LZ liked/enjoyed in America rather than just places they stayed. One in NYC reputedly cost a hundred large per night (for three nights), so hopefully Bonzo took out every TV, piece of furniture and wall in sight during his stay. Nobody has named (yet) the one hotel worth meritorious points. :P

Our persnickety judges wish to remind contestants the Accommodations question asks for hotels LZ liked/enjoyed in America rather than just places they stayed. One in NYC reputedly cost a hundred large per night (for three nights), so hopefully Bonzo took out every TV, piece of furniture and wall in sight during his stay. Nobody has named (yet) the one hotel worth meritorious points. :P

Would the one in NYC be the Plaza Hotel? It's part of Jimmy's famous quote: "Just say that I'm still searching for an angel with a broken wing. It's not very easy to find them these days. Especially when you're staying at the Plaza Hotel."

the source a Chris Salewicz article concerning Knebworth published in England before CREEM reprinted it later in the year.

Interesting. Perhaps thirty 30 years ago they were partners, but I always understood

Page Motors was owned by Jimmy's Uncle. I could be wrong.

Would the one in NYC be the Plaza Hotel? It's part of Jimmy's famous quote: "Just say that I'm still searching for an angel with a broken wing. It's not very easy to find them these days. Especially when you're staying at the Plaza Hotel."

Everybody's going to be kicking themselves when they realize how obvious it is. :)

I always understood Page Motors was owned by Jimmy's Uncle. I could be wrong.

Perhaps he took full ownership after Page's dad passed away . . . I dunno, a guess on my part.

Someone's been listening to Presence, a favorite among our judges. Add 50 + 50 meritorious to your scorecard, Stargroves Tangie. :P Well done.

Thank you! I'm still trying to figure out the NYC hotel you're looking for- if it's not the Plaza, or the Drake... uh, did they ever stay (or enjoy staying) at the Waldorf Astoria? It's the only other fancy NYC hotel I can think of.

Thank you! I'm still trying to figure out the NYC hotel you're looking for- if it's not the Plaza, or the Drake... uh, did they ever stay (or enjoy staying) at the Waldorf Astoria? It's the only other fancy NYC hotel I can think of.

The NYC hotel I referred to was the Drake. LZ definitely didn't have a good time there if they got ripped off for $300,000 (or 100 large per night x 3 nights at the Garden). It is a confusing sentence now that I read it again, sorry about that. Care to take a stab at question 6 part 3?

I have no idea- the only names that I've ever heard Zeppelin performing under besides Led Zeppelin was the New Yardbirds & The Nobs, can't think of a 3rd name.

Looking forward to the answer!

Well, Stargroves Tangie, I thought I had an answer and I do not. Throughout the history of my posting trivia questions I never asked a single thing I couldn't go back to a magazine or book to quote as a source. This is the one time I did NOT and it's nobody's fault but mine, not our panel of judges, just me. I apologize for disappointing you (and any other interested parties).

The story behind the question is interesting though.

When Zeppelin played the Falkoner Theatreat in Denmark on July 23-24, 1979 I was under the impression they billed themselves as The Melancholy Danish Pageboys. This is the name of a vinyl bootleg of 7-23-79 released in the early 80s. A bass player and I were talking about that bootleg and he said Melancholy Danish Pageboys was what Zep called themselves those two nights before their massive Knebworth gigs.

I am the worst skeptic, but there were three reasons the story sounded logical. In 1978 and '79 it was in vogue for major acts like the Stones, Aerosmith, et al to book small clubs under assumed names. The Falkoner is approximately a 2000 seat hall that LZ supposedly did not sell out the second night. Surely if LZ was headlining two shows a few days later for over 300,000 fans the band would have sold every seat in Denmark; people were trekking from other continents to see Zep at Knebworth!

The bass player's credentials are solid. He knows Luis Rey and he knows his stuff, he's a super-trader himself with---I'm not kidding---chests of drawers full of different bootleg CDs. But I don't blame him, I blame me. My bad. :(

This seems to be the only unanswered question left. 3hrs posted Rock and Roll. I've read When The Levee Breaks was the only survivor in one guitar magazine---yet Rock and Roll AND When The Levee Breaks in another publication. Judges will accept either answer! :P

Thanks again to everyone who read and especially those who played. After thinking up 42 trivia questions (some of them multi-part) designed to test the mettle of the best minds in the Led Zeppelin milieu I am going into semi-retirement in a novel realm. Rest assured that is not a home, hospital, jail cell or branch of the military. I shall return with more questions in the near future. In the meantime, stay tuned for Led Zep Jep's surprise guest host.

Adieu, fellow Zepileptics.

Well, Stargroves Tangie, I thought I had an answer and I do not. Throughout the history of my posting trivia questions I never asked a single thing I couldn't go back to a magazine or book to quote as a source. This is the one time I did NOT and it's nobody's fault but mine, not our panel of judges, just me. I apologize for disappointing you (and any other interested parties).

The story behind the question is interesting though.

When Zeppelin played the Falkoner Theatreat in Denmark on July 23-24, 1979 I was under the impression they billed themselves as The Melancholy Danish Pageboys. This is the name of a vinyl bootleg of 7-23-79 released in the early 80s. A bass player and I were talking about that bootleg and he said Melancholy Danish Pageboys was what Zep called themselves those two nights before their massive Knebworth gigs.

I am the worst skeptic, but there were three reasons the story sounded logical. In 1978 and '79 it was in vogue for major acts like the Stones, Aerosmith, et al to book small clubs under assumed names. The Falkoner is approximately a 2000 seat hall that LZ supposedly did not sell out the second night. Surely if LZ was headlining two shows a few days later for over 300,000 fans the band would have sold every seat in Denmark; people were trekking from other continents to see Zep at Knebworth!

The bass player's credentials are solid. He knows Luis Rey and he knows his stuff, he's a super-trader himself with---I'm not kidding---chests of drawers full of different bootleg CDs. But I don't blame him, I blame me. My bad. :(

This seems to be the only unanswered question left. 3hrs posted Rock and Roll. I've read When The Levee Breaks was the only survivor in one guitar magazine---yet Rock and Roll AND When The Levee Breaks in another publication. Judges will accept either answer! :P

Thanks again to everyone who read and especially those who played. After thinking up 42 trivia questions (some of them multi-part) designed to test the mettle of the best minds in the Led Zeppelin milieu I am going into semi-retirement in a novel realm. Rest assured that is not a home, hospital, jail cell or branch of the military. I shall return with more questions in the near future. In the meantime, stay tuned for Led Zep Jep's surprise guest host.

Adieu, fellow Zepileptics.

Ah, "Melancholy Danish Pageboys Get it On". One of the first boots I ever got, it had a nice color cover which looked so much nicer than the plain white cover with a paper insert. I guess it could be possible that they used that name for those 2 shows, maybe there's a poster or handbill for the shows that would confirm this?

And thank you Dirigible for hosting Zep Jep, I learned some interesting tidbits along the way.

I guess it could be possible that they used that name for those 2 shows, maybe there's a poster or handbill for the shows that would confirm this?

I've seen a poster. It said Led Zeppelin. :)

Maybe one reason the second show didn't sell out is July 23-24, 1979 were a Monday and Tuesday, whereas both Knebworth performances were on Saturday. Traveling on a weekend is no obstacle, but taking off work and traveling during the week might be. If Peter Grant booked the Copenhagen shows a week or two in advance with only word of mouth advertising (and he did that in US in the early 70s) then a rich fan in Oklahoma City or Tokyo or Rio de Janeiro might not know the band was resurfacing for an obscure gig on the continent.

For what's it worth I thought the second night in Denmark was the best show LZ played in 1979. Accounts I've read about the cattle car crowd scenes in the mud at Knebworth sound unappealing, but I would have braved them had I the opportunity (then & now) however I'd much rather have been sitting in a cushioned seat in an uncrowded theater with bevvie in hand. B)

Archived