i THOUGHT

desirezep

It would be nice to start a thread for people to talk about the seventies,

and those who actual remember their group from the old days, the old

Led Zeppelin Fans, so sorry young ones can read only. Post your stories

of the concerts, what it was like back then when you saw them, what did

you think when you actual saw them play, who did you go with to the concerts,

what it was like back then? did you meet Led Zeppelin? where did you buy your

treasured vinyls, do you still have them, anything you can remember, about those

wonderful times. - Post away, this thread belongs to the older fans.

my two uncles seen led zep a few times in the 1970's if you remember 2 freaking mad and i mean mad!!!!!!!!!welsh men it'll be them have all vinyls in the attic not mine though the hubbiES

oh gosh!!!! I could never keep my Led Zeppelin stuff in the attic, (I don t have one) but no my stuff is all displayed in the lounge, it continues to grow, there will not be room for me in there one day. LOL

treasured vinyls, do you still have them, anything you can remember, about those

AYYY! You calling us old?

The '70's-minimum wage was $4.25 an hour, gas was under a buck a gallon and you could buy a house in California for less than 100k.....lets see We (i) seen Zeppelin in 1977 oakland. I was 16 years old...young and stupid. I was astonished when we seen them, it was our first concert. In those days all concerts were general admission so everyone just scrambled to get a place to sit. Drugs and alcohol and vomit everywhere...of course during the 70's everyone partied. The best weed ive ever had was from a lutenant commander in the navy. We seen Zeppelin on their last concert in this area at the very start of our rock and roll exploration. So from then on it was pretty much listen to the albums, get ahold of any bootleg possible. At one point I had a couple hundred bootlegs, but then JP's lawyer sued the guy, that our guy got his stuff from-his lawyers name at the time was weiss something or something weiss...and since we were all coke heads at the time (grown up a little since then) I didnt want to get sued and gave away most of the bootleg collection and only kept a few gems.

But I did pay $400 for a used record from Al's Record Barn which was a Yardbirds album that had train kept a rollin on it and several other tunes...yes i still have all the albums, they are tucked away from moisture and changing tempretures...i could dig them out and share the song list if you request.

Those wonderfull times was the beginning of an 18 year long cocaine addiction that cost a couple million bucks and totally ruined my life. But hey, it was worth it for all the sex, lol.

In those days information about the band was non-existant. There was no internet or cell phones or ipods....only a couple guitar mags, but nothing like it is now. So there was no way back then to do any follow up research on any bands...all you had was the music. The music was cheap, concerts were cheap and weed was cheap...what else could you ask for,lol.

A friend of mine down the street had a good story. Him and his friends went to japan to see Zeppelin...they partied their asses off the night before...and by the the time the concert started they passed out right in their seats and missed the whole thing. morons. Course I just did that at the Clapton concert this year.....

For us, my friends, it was a lot of innocent fun. Really good times. If I had to do it all again I'd leave out the coke and would have kept my first or 3rd girlfriend. And i would have taken some guitar lessons-which I still might do.

I had gotten into Zeppelin at the tail end around 78-79, just before the release of In Through The Out Door. I was really excited about camping out for tickets for the American leg of the tour. I was 15.

The crowd I ran with were heavily into 60s band, Beatles, Stones, Who, Kinks. Very clean, white suburban kids, upper middle class. I was pretty much the only one of us that did drugs. In my circle, as I remember it, Zep were still kind of lumped in with the greasy dirty heavy metal crowd, AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Sabbath. These bands were considered underground in a way, no radio airplay, and their main audience were stoner freaks. That image was still dangerous back then.

I was an intellectual, kind of preppy (Lennon and McCartney were my main heroes), nice clean clothes from Lord And Taylors and Neiman Marcus (posh American stores), but I did have long hair and the occassional bad attitude. There was a small group of rich kids at my school, all musicians myself included, who were clued into Zep. But mostly, at that time, it was the freaks who were really openly into them.

Well, the apartments where I lived were the only ones that allowed kids in those days. And there was this group of freaks there that I had known from grade school. There wasn't any real anomosity between us, but I never mixed with them and they never mixed with me. We might see each other in the parking lot and say a few chit-chat words but that was it. One day, I got to talking with one of these guys and mentioned something about Zep...suddenly we had this mutual common ground. He invited me back to his parent's apartment with some of the other freaks (I'm using the word freaks here as a social class, i.e. druggies, not as some kind of judgement, btw) and we smoked out in the back bedroom, lights out, Zep black-light posters on the wall, lava lamp, listening to Houses Of The Holy. I especially remember "No Quarter" as standing out in that environment. I fucking Loved it. These guys never would have brought me into their circle, and I probably never would have invited them into mine. But Led Zeppelin instantly bonded us together. Well, that and several massive bong hits, but still. And for years after that, I couldn't listen to "No Quarter" because it just wasn't the same without that dark, mystical atmosphere. In fact, I think I've only recently actually listened to it the whole way through again...and its a great song but I miss that magic moment that locked it into my memory.

After that I felt like Led Zeppelin were my beautiful dark secret. There was this kid at school named Oscar, a freak, a total stoner (think Slater from Dazed And Confused, though Oscar was a lot smarter) who I became friends with because we both liked Led Zeppelin. The day after Bonzo died, my first class of the day was Social Studies, I was sitting at my table and Oscar comes over, slams both his hands down hard on the table and says in this deep dramatic voice, "John Bonham's DEAD!" I was crushed. Severely depressed for the rest of the day, and for months after. Then Lennon a few months later, I hated that year.

A few years after that, the classic rock stations started playing "Fool In The Rain" and "In The Evening" and "All My Love" in regular rotation. I honestly think that's when Zep broke through to mainstream acceptance. It wasn't just for freaks anymore. My beautiful dark secret wasn't mine anymore. Granted, this was just my personal interpretation of thier image at the time, filtered through my own circle of friends and through my own location (Dallas, Texas). Back then, they were still mysterious and dangerous. There was still a dark, mystical aura about them. Where I was, if you were a Zep fan you were practically a magician of the dark arts, maybe even a satanist. I Loved that. I wasn't a satanist but I Loved that spooky appeal. But really, it was and still is just great fucking music made by amazingly creative and talented people.

My memory of the time, Led Zeppelin, and the concerts during the 70's in the San Francisco Bay area were great! I became a fan of Zeppelin around "75" a sophomore in high school. There were no MTV, or even much in the news of an rock bands. FM radio stations were the only place to go to listen to rock and roll. They were all underground. The air ways were mostly AM and pop music, with some of the more easy rock bands getting some air time. So there were a couple of FM stations that played Zeppelin. I remember hearing Stair way to heaven first, and loving it! Then after hearing more, was hooked, and then seeing what Robert looked like, I was even more hooked!

We listened to vinyl records, and then 8 track tapes came along! :D Funny looking at them now, as they were so big, and the sound not that great on an 8 track. When cassettes finally came out, that was cutting edge! ;) I remember scouring the news stands, stores ect. for magazine articles about Zep and other bands I liked. Such as Cream magazine ect. That was the most excitement we got was to read some articles about them, and drool over the pictures, especially of Robert! ;) We also looked for bootlegs, and rare magazines, and records. We used to go to Berkley to a record store called "Rather Ripped Records." They had a bunch of rare vinyl, and old magazines.

My friends and I (there were four to five of us) that once we were able to drive, were at a concert during the summer almost every weekend! Sometimes Friday and Saturday night. In those days, there were no assigned seating. So we would go to the concert and get in line very early. Around noon sometimes or earlier so when they opened the doors we could get to the very front of the stage. While in line (between pipe panel rails to keep the lines in order), everyone was partying. From alcohol to drugs. There were no rules there, no one cared what you did. Lots of alcohol, and pot, but everything else in between. Dealers were walking up and down the lines, offering LSD, and anything else. Not once did I ever see anyone get busted. By the time the doors opened, the line was super long, and everyone was pretty toasted! Once past ticket collectors and security everyone would rush in doors, running, or walking really fast, to get to the front of the stage, and sit down and party some more, until the lights would go down, then everyone would stand up, and push in to get close.

Now on the way in to the arenas, security would frisk you, pat you down, searching for bottles, and alcohol ect. So we used to put our alcohol in baggies, and hide them in our bras, or in our socks. Then we'd buy a soda, and put the alcohol in it. While down in front, people would just pass joints around. Funny we trusted that it was just pot, and nothing that would hurt us. :unsure: And security never would say anything. My friends and I always managed to get in front, so enjoyed the concerts immensly! We were all not to tall, so most of the guys would always let us stand in front of them.

I was lucky enough to see LZ in "77" in Oakland. It was a Day on the Green concert as they called them back then. It would be in an outdoor coliseum, and they would have 3-5 bands playing usually. Only if I remember right, they may have only had one other band for Zep. Once inside anything went... Sex, drugs and rock n roll! I remember at this particular concert, seeing people having sex on the stairs... :blink: Again I was lucky to get up close, and got some great photos from this concert. I still have my ticket stub. $10.50 to see LZ. Can't beat that!

This was also the infamous concert that LZ were an hour and a half late coming out due to the John Bonham, Peter Grant beating up the Bill Graham employee for slapping Peter Grants son before the concert. It was near rioting from the crowd who wanted to see LZ and were getting pissed off. I remember wondering what was going on, and if they were going to come out. But once they took the stage, it was great. Robert in his blue satin pants, was well worth the wait.... :D The next day when I read in the paper what had happened, it all made sense.

Also, when the movie TSRTS came out, that was the first real glimpse into the band, and their lifes. So that was a huge deal! Nothing like that had been done before. It was playing in a theater about 40 minutes from where I lived. But that didn't stop us. We went every weekend while it was playing there! We saw it 18 times. :rolleyes: It was like going to a concert. They would pat you down coming in to the movie theater. They would collect from people drugs, alcohol, and even bongs. You could see them all lined up behing the food counter. They would give them back after the movie. LOL! People would yell, and whistle during the film, like a concert. One night they were having some trouble with the sound, so they turned it down low, and people started throwing things at the screen and booing. It was during Dazed and Confused. So they turned it off to calm people down, who got more upset, and it turned into a little riot! They had to call the police to come in and make everyone leave. Too funny! So thats some of my memories of the "70"s. With all the partying going on, its amazing I can remember any of them! B)

Archived