The Ossetian Conflic

Atlas

i saw this as well and the look on the interviewer's face was shock as it appeared he had lost control of the interview(she wasn't saying what he expected her to say :huh: )...you could hear him discussing something with his producers in the background then he started talking over the woman saying we have to go to commercial, but ill let you resume when we get back...

was quite disturbed when they returned from commercial break, the interviewer kept talking over her saying i have only ten seconds, ok 5 seconds, ok we are out of time...

faux news...

I've seen many statements on Fox saying the Georgians are to blame, why would they censor that one?

Do you have a link to the video? All I can find is the 12yo girl one, which is an obvious political statement, she even interrupts the interviewer to make it.

Bridge blast severs Georgia

Russia denies action, signs cease-fire, but invading troops dig in

By Megan K. Stack

August 17, 2008

IGOETI, Georgia - Even as Russia signed a cease-fire agreement with Georgia yesterday, its troops destroyed a key railroad bridge that links the Caucasus region to the Black Sea coast, effectively cutting off east-west transportation routes through the country, the Georgian Foreign Ministry announced.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/nation/ba...0,3123995.story

When did it start?

08 Aug 2008 | 03:44 AM ET

TBILISI (Thomson Financial) - Georgian President Mikheil Saakashvili said Friday his country faced "large-scale military intervention" over the conflict in the breakaway region of South Ossetia and called for a "total mobilization".

Georgia faces "large-scale military intervention," Saakashvili said in a televised address.

"I declare a total mobilization. Everyone must appear at the recruiting point," he said.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/26085536

DID RUSSIA PLAN ITS WAR IN GEORGIA?

Whitmore Brian 8/16/08

A EurasiaNet Partner Post from RFE/RL

Before the guns of August, there were the maneuvers of July.

Less than one month before Russia’s armed forces entered Georgia on August 8, they held massive military training exercises in the North Caucasus involving 8,000 servicemen and 700 pieces of military hardware.

At center stage in those maneuvers -- which took place in the second half of July, not far from Georgia’s border -- was Russia’s 58th Army, the very unit that would later play a key role in the incursion.

Those exercises are just one link in a chain of incidents suggesting that Russia’s military action in Georgia was planned months in advance, awaiting only an appropriate pretext to act.

Military analyst Pavel Felgenhauer says the aim, from the start, was to overthrow Georgian President Mikheil Saakashvili and his pro-Western government.

"This was prepared long ago," Felgenhauer, a Moscow-based military analyst tells RFE/RL’s North Caucasus Service, adding that according to his information, a decision to go to war was made back in April.

"A decision was made for the war to start in August. The war would have happened regardless of what the Georgians did. Whether they responded to the provocations or not, there would have been an invasion of Georgia," Felgenhauer says. "The goal was to destroy Georgia’s central government, defeat the Georgian army, and prevent Georgia from joining NATO."

Planning Began In April

April -- the month in which Felgenhauer claims Russia made its decision to invade -- was also the month when the NATO military alliance declined to offer outright a Membership Action Plan (MAP) to Georgia and Ukraine at its annual summit in Bucharest.

In an August 14 article published in the "Novaya gazeta" weekly, Felgenhauer, who is credited with maintaining close sources in the Russian military, claims Moscow’s plan began taking shape shortly after Georgia and Ukraine were denied a MAP.

The Kremlin, which has made no secret of its antipathy for Georgia’s NATO aspirations, may have been emboldened by Georgia’s failure to achieve a critical step forward in the membership process. Alternately, it may have been angered by NATO’s conciliatory pledge to Tbilisi and Kyiv that they would receive a MAP in future -- a move seen by many as a strong gesture of support from the West.

Steven Pifer, a former U.S. ambassador to Ukraine who is a visiting fellow at the Brookings Institution in Washington, says NATO’s decision may have encouraged Russia to play rough with Georgia.

"I think the Russians took the wrong lessons from Bucharest," Pifer says. "There was a lot of Russian pressure and rhetoric against both Georgia and [ukraine] getting Membership Action Plans before Bucharest. I’ve heard that Russians regard Bucharest as a success. And what you saw after Bucharest was an increase in pressure."

http://www.eurasianet.org/departments/insi.../pp081608.shtml

’Long Prepared, Successfully Executed’

Felgenhauer is not the only expert in Russia to posit the Kremlin’s August "surprise" was anything but.

Writing in the online newspaper "Yezhednevny zhurnal," Andrei Illarionov likewise argues that the invasion of Georgia "had been long prepared and successfully executed." Illarionov is a onetime adviser to former Russian president and current Prime Minister Vladimir Putin who has since emerged as a fierce Kremlin critic.

Such interpretations contradict the official narrative of the war promoted relentlessly by the Kremlin in the domestic and international media -- that Russian forces acted only in order to defend Russian citizens and peacekeeping forces in South Ossetia from Georgian soldiers intent on "ethnic cleansing" and "genocide" in the breakaway region.

For now, there is no smoking gun to prove Russia methodically plotted its incursion into Georgia. But the first sign that Russia might seek a military advance on Georgia came more than a year ago -- in July 2007, when Moscow withdrew from the Conventional Forces in Europe treaty, an amended Cold War-era document setting limitations on troops and military hardware between the Atlantic and the Ural Mountains.

Speaking to RFE/RL’s Russian Service at the time of the withdrawal, Steven Blank, a professor of strategic studies at the U.S. Army War College, warned the move could allow Russia to threaten Georgia by freely moving substantial deployments of troops and equipment into the North Caucasus.

"What Russia really wants is essentially to be able to do as it pleases in world affairs and to answer to nobody," Blank said. "It wants a totally free hand, particularly in and around the CIS. It also needs to conjure up the idea of an enemy to justify its regime. The fact of the matter is that the most immediate threat here is to Georgia, because the Russian government could pack forces into the North Caucasus to threaten Georgia."

Слава Воздушнодесантным Войскам!

Слава ВДВ!

Russian paratroopers arrive in North Caucasus for combat drills

22:05 | 16/ 07/ 2008

MOSCOW, July 16 (RIA Novosti) - Paratroopers from Russia's 76th Airborne Division arrived Wednesday in North Ossetia to participate in the active stage of large-scale military exercises in the North Caucasus.

The exercise, dubbed Caucasus 2008, involves units of the North Caucasus Military District, mainly the 58th Army, the 4th Air Force Army, Interior Ministry troops, and border guards.

"The personnel, equipment and ammunition are being unloaded at the town of Mozdok" in North Ossetia, a spokesperson for Russia's Ground Forces said Wednesday. The paratroopers will make a forced march to the assigned zone of operation in the mountains, where they will conduct a series of tactical exercises, including live-fire drills.

The Pskov paratroopers will be later joined by units from an air assault regiment based in the Volga region, which will be transported to the Krasnodar Territory by rail and conduct a forced march to the exercise zone.

The exercise is taking place on the territory of Chechnya, North Ossetia, Ingushetia, Kabardino-Balkaria, and Karachayevo-Circassia.

http://www.ballot.com/hotwire/25650-russia...sus-combat.html

I think this is all just an excuse for people to whip up all that old Cold-War hysteria again...

I wonder if the 'domino' theory will get dusted off...

The USA has just never been the same since it lost its favourite sparring partner, USSR...

We never really lost 'em. It appears they've been mobilizing for this action in Georgia since at least July. Those are real troops, by the way, and so are the damages, timed to happen while the world is distracted by the Summer Olympic games.

Even though the President of Georgia is a friend of the United States he is a bit of a loose cannon. Seems like he made a calculated gamble and the Russians called his bluff. I actually think the Russians had to take this action in order to prove a point. For them this is not just about South Ossetia, but also any possible break away regions as well.

We are well advised to stay out of Russia's business on this deal in my opinion.

Hi Del,

Many thanks for the info mate, and I am right with you about keeping out of Russia's back yard, and what are the Isralies doing their?

Just for the record, this is the Cuban missile crisis of 1962 all over again, watch out for the big bang folks.

Regards Danny

Georgia vs Russia (Raw Video - WARNING GRAPHIC)

Yeah, I would call it a crisis of some sort.

The sisters in the monastery have many relatives in south Ossetia because the border between the republics is for politicians. For the people there is no such divide. For us it has always been one Ossetia and one nation.

Lt. Col. Andrei Bobrun, an aide to the commander of the North Caucasus Military District, earlier said the exercise involves some 8,000 military personnel, about 700 combat vehicles and more than 30 aircraft.

The main goal of the exercise, according to the Russian military, is to work on interoperability between federal troops, Interior Ministry troops, border guards, and the Air Force in special operations against militants and in the defense of Russia's state borders, and to practice support of Russian peacekeepers in Georgia's breakaway regions of Abkhazia and South Ossetia.

Georgia protested Wednesday against the Russian military exercise near its borders, saying it was another manifestation of aggression against Tbilisi.

Georgia's parliament approved Tuesday a presidential initiative to increase the armed forces by 5,000 personnel to 37,000 amid growing tensions with Russia over two breakaway provinces.

http://www.ballot.com/hotwire/25650-russia...sus-combat.html

All I can find is the 12yo girl one, which is an obvious political statement, she even interrupts the interviewer to make it.

that's the same one i was referring to...she had been staying in ossetia with relatives and appeared on fox with her mother...i agree she was trying to make a statement, but was confused as to why fox was scrambling the way they did and didn't follow up with any questions...they just abruptly ended the interview, thus giving credence to her claims...

Hi all,

Hi Danny.

Hi Kev,

Whats your problem, the facts speak for themselves, what have I said that upsets you?

I ain't having a go at the American people here, I am pointing the finger at your Government, they are getting involved everywhere that there is oil, like they own all the oil or something.

You cant go around with your heads in the sand anymore, we all know that Americia, Russia, China, Great Britain and France want to carve up the world, we see it every day. But where are they when there is real need in a country, nowhere to be seen, let the aid agencies sort it out, but when it comes to oil, let go in there "Gun Ho".

The last time we spoke you said you knew what your government were like, what now you dont.

PS. And what have I done to many times? Dissed your government, well someone has to.

Let me ask,you and every non-US citizen on this great board this:When have I dissed your countries goverments?We have plenty dissent right here.

One more thing,actually two more,Russia is also disgruntaled because NATO has asked the so-called 'break away' republics of the USSR to join.Heady stuff.

Two,no attack on you Danny,my Tudor rose! :D

KB

Hi Kev,

Many, many thanks for your input mate, much appreciated, really.

As far as I know you have never dissed anyone including My so called government on this board. And maybe you are right, maybe I should keep my political opinions to myself. I just don't know why people have any trust in their governments after all that they have done to nearly start WW3. The young one's on here you can forgive for being politicaly naive but not us old ones, we are the one's who should know better.

As for Bosnia, your right, no oil, but we all missed the boat on that one. We all have blood on our hands for letting the Serbs commit genocide on their Muslim neighborours. Never forget Sarajevo, Mostar and Srebrenica, we could and should have stoped this happening, but we waited too ling and thousands of people died. Rwanda, what did we do their to stop the genocide? nothing.

And as for The American Government giving more money to countries in need than any other, well this is two fold.

1. Good for you and the people who you gave it to. But you are the largest economy in the world so can well aford it.

2. I have read and heard on the radio that Americia gives 100 times more aid to Israel than it does to the whole of Africia. If so, why? There is no famine in Israel, and they cant eat millitary aid.

And I mean it when I say that I do not attack the American people only it's government, so don't take up the fight on their behalf, they neither need or want your opinion or help.

What worries me right now is this. Americia would not allow any country, as close as Georgia is to Russia, to do what it is encouraging Georgia, Poland, Czechoslovakia or any such like country to do. If we push the Russian's to far then the world might blow up in our faces. Or what if Russia gets so disgruntled with us that it deciedes to allow it's millitary to allie itself with world terrorists groups.

And dont think this is that far fetched as not too far back in time the US government allowed the collection of funds and the selling of Armalite Rifels and explosives to the IRA. Many of our citizens were killed by American arms supplied by or with the concent of your government. I dont hold your citizens accountable for this although many of them did give generiously and blood is on their hands, and they know who they are. And how much of this money went on to fund the friends of the IRA?

ETA in Spain and Gadaffi in Lybia were very friendly with the IRA, so some of that money could have gone on to help the downing of the Pan Am Flight 103 at Lockerbie. So you can see why I have no affection for governments in all their guises, but you and your people will always be my friends, as are all people all over the world.

Glad we aint gonna fall out over this Kev.

Many thanks Danny

Bush admin. disconnected from reality

Sat, 16 Aug 2008 14:00:05 GMT

By Afshin Rattansi, Press TV, Tehran

Paul Craig Roberts

The following is Press TV's exclusive full-length interview with former US treasury official Paul Craig Roberts.

Press TV: Paul Craig Roberts, you served with the US government. Tell us a little bit about the National Endowment for Democracy. Because I understand that, you believe they had a lot to do with the relations between these two former Soviet states and the United States.

Roberts: The National Endowment for Democracy is a neoconservative organization funded by the United States government and its purpose is to buy and rig elections in the former constituent parts of the Soviet empire.

It is the tool of the neoconservatives for establishing American puppet states in Eastern Europe, in the Caucuses, and of course, its money and election rigging was instrumental in what they call 'the Rose Revolution' in Georgia.

And of course they interfere in the Ukraine and Eastern Europe. The neoconservatives who have controlled the Bush regime in Washington their plan is to bring Russia along with the entire Middle East and Iran under American hegemony so that whatever happens in the world is dictated from Washington.

And so these puppet states such as Georgia are part of the surrounding of Russia with American military bases and American missile systems such as the one they are going to put up in Poland. They hope the Czech Republic and Kosovo.

So this is all part of the expanding American empire, the neoconservatives say the American empire is much more powerful than the Roman one. So the American's have the power to dominate the entire world. That is what this is about.

The assault on South Ossetia by the American and the Israeli trained Georgian army, both trained and equipped by the Americans and the Israelis the purpose of that assault was to ethnically cleanse that province of Russians.

So that their would be an end to the separation movement the separatists would simply be driven out or killed. That was the main purpose of this whole exercise.

Press TV: What cards has the Bush administration got left to play with? You said every state in the world is tired of war and perhaps the United States is not. However, with the Bush administration facing economic problems at home, do you really think the Bush administration thinks it can outplay Russia in the Caucuses?

Roberts: Yes, the neoconservatives are insane. They certainly think they can outplay Russia and they certainly think they can outplay Iran. They have two more navel armadas steaming there.

People in the world need to understand that the regime in Washington is the most dangerous regime that has ever existed, it is capable of anything. Here we have a regime who has invaded two countries, a regime that has been bullying Iran and the President of the United States announcing that bullying and using intimidation are not acceptable ways to conduct foreign policy in the 21st century.

What has he been doing all these years? We had Condi Rice say the same stupid things and John McCain the Republican nominee for president say that in the 21st century nations do not invade other nations.

Well the United States has just invaded two nations and has oppressed them for six years and they talk this way. This has got to be insanity, this is disconnected from all reality. What they mean is that no one but the United States can invade other nations.

Press TV: What should we be expecting in the next couple of days with Condoleezza Rice going to Brussels? Paul Craig Roberts from your view if neocons in such power earlier we talked to Bill Christison a former senior CIA official who said there are placemen in all institutions after six years or more of the Bush presidency. What, is it going to go nuclear?

Roberts: Yes, I think there is a great danger. I did not say anything about the Republicans, I said the neoconservatives. They controlled the Clinton administration too. That is why you had all those bombings of Serbia.

I think your correspondent in New York is correct this is American foreign policy. It is not going to go away. I think it is most dangerous with Bush because he is essentially a moron. Cheney is too.

It is more dangerous in their hands but I agree its American foreign policy and yes, they are capable of going nuclear, because they are full of hubris.

Press TV: So you think they are ready to go for a war with Iran, with Russia. Some people are saying that Defense Secretary, Robert Gates does not answer to those neoconservatives that you were talking about.

Roberts: No he tries to resist it and I also know that many senior officers in the American military have put their foot down.

Nevertheless, there is a very powerful movement, the fact that they thought that Russia would sit there and do nothing while Russian citizens, people with Russian passports, were murdered, the capital destroyed and 30 or 40 thousand of them, which must be pretty close to half the population of South Ossetia, driven out into Russia and people thought Russia would do nothing.

How can you make such a miscalculation? Anyone who could make that miscalculation can make far more dangerous miscalculations. They are perfectly capable of attacking Iran.

The next point of trouble would be the Ukraine. The Americans would rush in there, stir all that up and cause another crisis.

http://www.presstv.ir/detail.aspx?id=66757...ctionid=3510302

And then you said China backed North Korea, then I said I know an American Army veteran who fought in Korea for the United States. You can see where the United States and China have conflicted in fairly recent years. I'm just clarifying the history.

As for your apathy, if you ever serve in office, you will find yourself challenged by maintaining such an attitude.

It's really more of an issue about the kind of entity that has or wants to get, power over you, the consumer of energy. In this case, the entity flexing its muscle has tanks in operation. It's similar to a hypothetical scenario where the local telephone company would be running military operations at your front door. I suppose you would just smile at them and say hello, how are you? Just park your tank in my front driveway and make yourself at home while I get us some coffee. And please don't shoot me, I'm right in the middle of something important.

It was not long ago that the Russian people did not have the right to freely elect their officials. I hope these recent actions taken by the disagreeing factions do not result in Russia becoming a military dictatorship again. I'm not looking forward to a return to the Stalin era.

The Georgia - Russia Conflict (War) Explained

Photos

My apathy is my apathy, as I have never wanted to serve in office and I would never want to. I am far too honourable a man to allow myself to be corrupted by money or power. "You will never find honour in a nest of Vipers".

I still dont know what we are arguing about. Russia feels threatened, as it should, because lets make no bones about it, the American government wants Russia to become a democracy like its self and Russia doesn't want to do that. So lets stop all the bullshit and start WW3 and get it over with. Russia will loose and millions will die, but thats what happens in war.

What is the difference between what happened 150 years ago and now?

150 years ago the American government wanted the Red Indians land, so the government took it and too bad for any Indian who refused to give it up, he died. Now you want somebody elses oil, so you invade them and take it and too bad if they refuse to give it up, the American government kill's them. Only difference is now, world opinion means something to the governments, they just cant go around killing people because they want their land or goods. So they make up something to justify what they do, simple as that, but in reality you are just as dead as the Red Indian was.

Now what you say about troops taking over my country has already happened, only it's American troops that are here rather than Russian ones. I would like there to be nobodys troops protecting me but my own but I also know that as a allie We need to help each other, so I accept this. Until we overthrow tyranny the world will not be safe, but what you must also remember is, we are also part of the problem, not the solution. Russia may be very wrong, but so are we, and after we have delt with Russia then we will have to deal with China.

I hope you enjoy debating as much as I do, even if we disagree from time to time.

Regards, Danny

My apathy is my apathy, as I have never wanted to serve in office and I would never want to. I am far too honourable a man to allow myself to be corrupted by money or power. "You will never find honour in a nest of Vipers".

Let someone else serve then. But will they make better decisions than you would? Leaving it up to them is a decision in itself.

And I was 'round when Jesus Christ

Had his moment of doubt and pain

Made damn sure that Pilate

Washed his hands and sealed his fate

Jagger/Richards

Now you want somebody elses oil, so you invade them and take it and too bad if they refuse to give it up, the American government kill's them.

No, I have not been to Iraq. I am too busy being invaded myself in California.

And here are some other versions of the truth.

Ossetian Conflict Explained by a Russian

Georgia War Russia True

And last but not least, United States President George Bush had this to say.

It now appears that an effort may be underway to depose Russia's duly elected government.

-United States President George Bush

It's wonderful. It really is! How people in the 21th centure do not want to live TODAY! Hey, wake up! Our country is different now, KGB maens NOTHING today, ok?

Why would a Russian say otherwise? Do you really think the rest of us agree with this? And what about the recent assinations/assination plots blamed on the KGB by British intelligence officials and the President of the Ukraine?

Are you really going to stand by the lie that KGB is not still involved in these dirty little tactics?

Read up:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/worl...icle2100345.ece

http://www.csmonitor.com/2004/1213/p01s02-woeu.html

And if you don't know that I suggest you avoid saying things like that, at least find out the situation at first and only then make any conclusions. Really, I don't want to offend you either but please don't talk of things you simply don't know. We don't need any territory now, Georgia does. It's too small, it needs more territory to mean anything in the world.

Hey I have already said that I thought the Georgian President made a silly gamble in South Ossentia and the Russians called him on it. But I also believe very strongly that the Russians have for years been covertly making trouble in the disputed territory. Russia has for a long time just been waiting for the right provocation to go in and TAKE the territory. You are completly naive to assume otherwise. I have only called this like I see it. But I have actually just been waiting for this to happen with Russia, as I fully expected that once your country became economically stable again.. this would be the result.

Russians will ALWAYS act like Russians, just as history has taught us. If that offends you, then too bad. It's still the way I see it. But in many ways I'm almost glad that it is happening because it just might wake some people in my government and in the governments of our NATO allies. We still need to be prepared for ANY possible contingency when it comes to both Russia and China... obviously.

No, Russia is making a very bad mistake right now with this gross over reaction and use of military force. If Russia continues to act as if it can bully former Soviet nations in this manner, Russia will once again find itself politically and economically isolated from the Western nations who have up till now been gracious enough to include Russia as an economic partner.

THIS IS NOT THE WAY FOR RUSSIA TO PLAY NICE! -- That is if if they still want to have improved relations with the United States, the U.K. and it's former nations, Western Europe and the various liberated Eastern bloc nations like Poland, the Czech Republic, Ukraine, Belarus, Latvia, Lithuania ... and on and on.

Something for you Russians to think about in all due respect.

Del

;)

Why would a Russian say otherwise? Do you really think the rest of us agree with this? And what about the recent assinations/assination plots blamed on the KGB by British intelligence officials and the President of the Ukraine?

Are you really going to stand by the lie that KGB is not still involved in these dirty little tactics?

Read up:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/worl...icle2100345.ece

http://www.csmonitor.com/2004/1213/p01s02-woeu.html

Hey I have already said that I thought the Georgian President made a silly gamble in South Ossentia and the Russians called him on it. But I also believe very strongly that the Russians have for years been covertly making trouble in the disputed territory. Russia has for a long time just been waiting for the right provocation to go in and TAKE the territory. You are completly naive to assume otherwise. I have only called this like I see it. But I have actually just been waiting for this to happen with Russia, as I fully expected that once your country became economically stable again.. this would be the result.

Russians will ALWAYS act like Russians, just as history has taught us. If that offends you, then too bad. It's still the way I see it. But in many ways I'm almost glad that it is happening because it just might wake some people in my government and in the governments of our NATO allies. We still need to be prepared for ANY possible contingency when it comes to both Russia and China... obviously.

No, Russia is making a very bad mistake right now with this gross over reaction and use of military force. If Russia continues to act as if it can bully former Soviet nations in this manner, Russia will once again find itself politically and economically isolated from the Western nations who have up till now been gracious enough to include Russia as an economic partner.

THIS IS NOT THE WAY FOR RUSSIA TO PLAY NICE! -- That is if if they still want to have improved relations with the United States, the U.K. and it's former nations, Western Europe and the various liberated Eastern bloc nations like Poland, the Czech Republic, Ukraine, Belarus, Latvia, Lithuania ... and on and on.

Something for you Russians to think about in all due respect.

Del

;)

I see your point of view. I do respect your opinion, you have a right for it, that's for sure. I think you should respect us too. I'm talking about people, not our government - that's another stuff. If we say something, we have a right for it as well as you do. Personally I'm sure when I say something, and if I say something it is based on something, you know? I would never support my government if it was the agressor.

Peace!

I see your point of view. I do respect your opinion, you have a right for it, that's for sure. I think you should respect us too. I'm talking about people, not our government - that's another stuff. If we say something, we have a right for it as well as you do. Personally I'm sure when I say something, and if I say something it is based on something, you know? I would never support my government if it was the agressor.

Peace!

Did Russia Plan Its War in Georgia?

Whitmore Brian 8/16/08

A EurasiaNet Partner Post from RFE/RL

Before the guns of August, there were the maneuvers of July.

Less than one month before Russia’s armed forces entered Georgia on August 8, they held massive military training exercises in the North Caucasus involving 8,000 servicemen and 700 pieces of military hardware.

At center stage in those maneuvers -- which took place in the second half of July, not far from Georgia’s border -- was Russia’s 58th Army, the very unit that would later play a key role in the incursion.

Those exercises are just one link in a chain of incidents suggesting that Russia’s military action in Georgia was planned months in advance, awaiting only an appropriate pretext to act.

Military analyst Pavel Felgenhauer says the aim, from the start, was to overthrow Georgian President Mikheil Saakashvili and his pro-Western government.

"This was prepared long ago," Felgenhauer, a Moscow-based military analyst tells RFE/RL’s North Caucasus Service, adding that according to his information, a decision to go to war was made back in April.

"A decision was made for the war to start in August. The war would have happened regardless of what the Georgians did. Whether they responded to the provocations or not, there would have been an invasion of Georgia," Felgenhauer says. "The goal was to destroy Georgia’s central government, defeat the Georgian army, and prevent Georgia from joining NATO."

Planning Began In April

April -- the month in which Felgenhauer claims Russia made its decision to invade -- was also the month when the NATO military alliance declined to offer outright a Membership Action Plan (MAP) to Georgia and Ukraine at its annual summit in Bucharest.

In an August 14 article published in the "Novaya gazeta" weekly, Felgenhauer, who is credited with maintaining close sources in the Russian military, claims Moscow’s plan began taking shape shortly after Georgia and Ukraine were denied a MAP.

The Kremlin, which has made no secret of its antipathy for Georgia’s NATO aspirations, may have been emboldened by Georgia’s failure to achieve a critical step forward in the membership process. Alternately, it may have been angered by NATO’s conciliatory pledge to Tbilisi and Kyiv that they would receive a MAP in future -- a move seen by many as a strong gesture of support from the West.

Steven Pifer, a former U.S. ambassador to Ukraine who is a visiting fellow at the Brookings Institution in Washington, says NATO’s decision may have encouraged Russia to play rough with Georgia.

"I think the Russians took the wrong lessons from Bucharest," Pifer says. "There was a lot of Russian pressure and rhetoric against both Georgia and [ukraine] getting Membership Action Plans before Bucharest. I’ve heard that Russians regard Bucharest as a success. And what you saw after Bucharest was an increase in pressure."

Dear Eternal Light, I know what they write in newspapers. I have writen many articles. There is hardly any true word.

But the truth eventually emerges after all of the pieces of the puzzle come to light. I try to pay attention to all the pieces so when I finally arrive at a conclusion it will be a true one. This would be an excellent topic for Spats to put his fine mind to if he weren't distracted by the dating dilemma.

But the truth eventually emerges after all of the pieces of the puzzle come to light. I try to pay attention to all the pieces so when I finally arrive at a conclusion it will be a true one. This would be an excellent topic for Spats to put his fine mind to if he weren't distracted by the dating dilemma.

Really wise! Good for you ;) but be patient and don't make any conclusions till each piece of the puzzle is perfectly fixed.

Archived