The Ossetian Conflic

Atlas

Anything true, remains true, and all else fades away.

If you're an idealist :)

Truth is merely which ever version of the story gets more airplay...

The good old Soviet Union. They get a few bucks back in their pockets and they are back to their old tricks. It's not the Russian people, but their government that is a shame. They do not use laser guided missles to try and not hit civilians. They purposely aim for them.

And yet, ironically, the one country that has been starting the most wars and doing most of the invading in the last several years is the USA... B)

I think it's mainly about Putin wanting to keep the former satillite countries dependent on the flow of Russian controled oil. With NATO making moves to tie up some of these countries and a new pipeline to lessen the dependency, Putin seems to feel that military action is the only way he can maintain his monopoly on the region. I say his because, when oil profits start to go down, his control of Russia and his profits start to slide. Clearly some of the Russian people have benefited from the revenue but at the end of the day, not enough of them. Because of this false economy, he knows he will lose his grip and will be exposed as a fraud. IMHO, this attack has all the signs of a desperate attempt to maintain his power base. With a US Presidential election in the works, his timing couldn't have been better

You just don't want to face some more facts... I'm tired of saying simple things, I have already said enough and sweetagel578 has posted some articles about the matter. What's the point in proving something if you simply do not want to listen to anyone who has another point of view. That's it, I'm sick of it all. We don't need nither more territory not more oil. We have enough already thanks God.

Aug 19, 1:07 PM EDT

Russian soldiers take prisoners in Georgia port

By BELA SZANDELSZKY

Associated Press Writer

AP Photo/Bela Szandelszky

POTI, Georgia (AP) -- Russian soldiers took about 20 Georgians in military uniform prisoner at a key Black Sea port in western Georgia on Tuesday, blindfolding them and holding them at gunpoint, and commandeered American Humvees awaiting shipment back to the United States.

The move came as a small column of Russian tanks and armored vehicles left the strategic city of Gori in the first sign of a Russian pullback of troops from Georgia after a cease-fire intended to end fighting that reignited Cold War tensions.

The two countries on Tuesday also exchanged prisoners captured during their brief war. However, Russian soldiers took Georgians prisoner in Poti - the country's key oil port city - and commandeered four U.S. Humvees that had been used in U.S.-Georgian military exercises.

Russian forces blocked access to the city's naval and commercial ports on Tuesday morning and towed the missile boat Dioskuria, one of the navy's most sophisticated vessels, out of sight of observers. A loud explosion was heard minutes later.

Georgian Interior Ministry spokesman Shote Utiashvili said the Russian military blew up the Dioskuria.

Several hours later, an Associated Press photographer saw Russian trucks and armored personnel carriers leaving the port with about 20 blindfolded and handcuffed men riding on them.

Port spokesman Eduard Mashevoriani said the men were Georgian soldiers. Utiashvili said they were Interior Ministry officers who were seized by Russian forces Tuesday when they tried to prevent Russian armored personnel carriers from entering the port, and that they were later released.

Pentagon spokesman Bryan Whitman said officials were looking into the reported theft of the Humvees.

The deputy head of Russia's general staff, Col. Gen. Anatoly Nogovitsyn, said Russian forces plan to remain in Poti until a local administration is formed, but did not give further details. He also justified previous seizures of Georgian soldiers as necessary to crack down on soldiers who were "out of any kind of control ... acting without command."

An AP television crew has seen Russian troops in and around Poti all week, with local port officials saying the Russians had destroyed radar, boats and other Coast Guard equipment there.

A Georgian official also said Russians were slowing down food aid shipments to Poti.

"Right now there are Russian soldiers and tanks at Poti," Georgian Finance Minister Nika Gilavri said. "They want to open every single container" and inspect them.

Russian troops last week drove Georgian forces out of South Ossetia, where Georgia on Aug. 7 launched a heavy artillery barrage in the separatist Georgian province with close ties to Russia. Fighting also has flared in a second Russian-backed separatist region, Abkhazia.

The short war has driven tensions between Russia and the West to some of their highest levels since the breakup of the Soviet Union.

The Russian invasion of Georgia also has stoked tensions between Kiev and Moscow over Russia's Ukraine-based Black Sea Fleet and fueled fears that an increasingly assertive Kremlin could set its sights on Ukraine, another ex-Soviet republic whose pro-Western leadership is seeking NATO membership.

Ukraine has sought to restrict Russian access to the base on the Crimean Peninsula, a potential flashpoint in the struggle between Russia and the West over the allegiance of Ukraine.

A cease-fire requires both Georgia and Russia to return to positions held before the fighting began, but Whitman said Tuesday morning in Washington that it didn't appear Russia had made any significant withdrawal of forces.

In central Georgia on Tuesday, a small column of Russian tanks and armored vehicles left Gori, and a Russian officer said they were heading back to South Ossetia and then Russia. Col. Igor Konoshenkov, a Russian military officer at the scene, gave no timetable for when the unit would reach Russia. But other Russian troops and military vehicles remained in and around Gori following the pullout.

At an emergency meeting in Brussels, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice and her 25 NATO counterparts demanded that Russia immediately withdraw its troops from Georgia, a U.S. ally that wants to join NATO.

"It is time for the Russian president to keep his word to withdraw Russian forces," Rice told a news conference.

Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov called a snap news conference in Moscow to respond to Tuesday's remarks by NATO Secretary-General Jaap de Hoop Scheffer, who accused Russia of occupying Georgia and said "there can be no business as normal under the current circumstances."

Lavrov said Russian withdrawal depended "first of all, on the return of Georgian troops" to their permanent bases.

"This still hasn't happened. Every day several episodes still occur when our servicemen detain Georgian troops" who haven't returned to their bases as agreed, he said.

"Even so, the withdrawal has started," he said, and will finish once Russian peacekeepers are permanently set up in the security zone, "which will take three or four days."

Lavrov lashed out at the alliance, saying NATO "is trying to make a victim of the aggressor, to absolve of guilt a criminal regime, to save a collapsed regime and is taking a course to rearm the current leaders of Georgia."

France and some other allies had seemed reluctant to back a U.S. hard line against Moscow before the meeting, but French Foreign Minister Bernard Kouchner expressed exasperation at Russia's failure to pull back its troops in line with the peace deal brokered last week by French President Nicolas Sarkozy.

Also Tuesday, Russia and Georgia exchanged 20 prisoners of war in an effort to reduce tensions. Two Russian military helicopters landed in Igoeti, where Georgian Security Council head Alexander Lomaia told reporters that 15 Georgians and five Russians were exchanged. "It went smoothly," he said. The operation also witnessed by Russian Maj. Gen. Vyacheslav Borisov, who commands troops in the area.

Lomaia said the exchange removed any pretext for Russians to keep holding positions in Igoeti, 30 miles west of Tbilisi, or anywhere else on Georgia's only significant east-west highway.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/G/GEO...EMPLATE=DEFAULT

You just don't want to face some more facts... I'm tired of saying simple things, I have already said enough and sweetagel578 has posted some articles about the matter. What's the point in proving something if you simply do not want to listen to anyone who has another point of view. That's it, I'm sick of it all. We don't need nither more territory not more oil. We have enough already thanks God.

I haven't seen either of you post anything but opinions that are in lock step with Putin's. If I missed the sources you or her are using and posting to support your view, please repost them or point them out. I'll take a look. Thanks. B)

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - NATO Secretary-General Jaap de Hoop Scheffer said on Tuesday the alliance was freezing regular contacts with Russia until Moscow had fully withdrawn its troops from Georgia in line with a peace deal.

The military alliance also agreed to upgrade contacts with Tbilisi but stopped short of any move to accelerate its efforts to join NATO, an ambition which enraged Russia even before the two-week-old conflict over Georgia's breakaway South Ossetia region.

"We have determined that we cannot continue with business as usual," the 26 NATO states said in a joint declaration issued after emergency talks in Brussels.

"The Alliance is considering seriously the implications of Russia's actions for the NATO-Russia relationship," it added.

The short statement did not explicitly refer to a U.S. call for the alliance to suspend contacts within the six-year-old NATO-Russia Council (NRC), but de Hoop Scheffer said such contacts could not take place under present conditions.

"We are not abandoning the NATO-Russia Council but as long as Russian forces are basically occupying a large part of Georgia I cannot see a NATO-Russia Council convening at whatever level," he told a news conference.

"But I should add that we certainly do not have the intention to close all doors in our communication with Russia," he said after several key European allies including Britain and Germany expressed doubts about cutting off links with Moscow.

The move drew sharp condemnation from Moscow, where Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov accused the alliance of bias and wanting to support a "criminal regime" in Tbilisi.

"NO ISOLATION"

Months of tension between Georgia and Russia erupted on August 7, when Tbilisi sought to regain control of South Ossetia. Russia, which backs the separatists, launched a massive counter-offensive that extended well into Georgia.

A column of Russian tanks and armored vehicles left the strategically important Georgian town of Gori on Tuesday, but Russian officials said the main withdrawal demanded by the West would not happen for three more days.

The NATO declaration did not refer to specific ways in which the alliance could curtail tentative steps to strengthen ties with Russia that were started in the late 1990s.

U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice denied Washington wanted to isolate Moscow and dismissed suggestions that tougher actions on Moscow had been blocked by European capitals, viewed by analysts as anxious not to upset a major energy supplier.

"The behavior of Russia in this most recent crisis is isolating Russia," she told a news conference, adding: "The United States got precisely what we sought in this statement."

http://www.khvh830am.com/cc-common/news/se...article=4118161

Thats you talking dear...not the big whigs who run the government ;)

For them, enough is never enough

And yet, ironically, the one country that has been starting the most wars and doing most of the invading in the last several years is the USA... B)

True!

After the U.N., and the majority of the other pansy countries of the world turn their backs on the US.

However, when in need of anything, who do they come running to first?

If you do not believe, that Iraq is better off, without that dictator Saddam Hussein running that country. Then you are very blind!

It was no surprise when the U.S. invaded Iraq. After all the flaming hoops we tried to jump through to get are supposing allies to side with us, on already imposed sanctions by the UN.

Russia just showed the world they have NO diplomacy and will do as they please.

As a Finn I'm slightly concerned about the way Russia has been acting recently. I think this coflict further strenghtens by beliefs that Finland should join NATO.

I am very glad you posted this. The fact that you are a Finn reminded me of the history of how Russia had operated for many years by use of military and political intimidation with regard to Finland. I believe Finland should be in NATO as well.

Are you sure about that? For your analogy to be true you would need to deny the fact that Iraq had invaded Kuwait, used poison gas against the Kurds, fired scud missles at Saudi Arabia and Isreal, and initiated a very bloody and aggressive war against Iran for 10 years. Iraq had been the aggressor for a long time.

I really think you need to reconsider your comment. As well as take into consideration that our war in Afghanistan was in DIRECT respsonse to the 9/11 attacks in which the Taliban controlled government of Afghanistan had permited Al-Queda to operate in that nation without restrictions. A clear act of war given the result of the 9/11 attacks.

I think it's mainly about Putin wanting to keep the former satillite countries dependent on the flow of Russian controled oil. With NATO making moves to tie up some of these countries and a new pipeline to lessen the dependency, Putin seems to feel that military action is the only way he can maintain his monopoly on the region. I say his because, when oil profits start to go down, his control of Russia and his profits start to slide. Clearly some of the Russian people have benefited from the revenue but at the end of the day, not enough of them. Because of this false economy, he knows he will lose his grip and will be exposed as a fraud. IMHO, this attack has all the signs of a desperate attempt to maintain his power base. With a US Presidential election in the works, his timing couldn't have been better

Excellent points! The first sign that things were really headed down the wrong road in Russia was when at the end of Putin's term as President, he was then transferred to a new position as Prime Minister. Seemed like the Russian people would have even made him emporer based on their enthusiasm for him. But there is also no doubt in my mind that Putin still has a lot of influence, or control over, the Russian miltiary and these oil companies like Gazprom. The man is a multi-billionaire by many accounts. But he got that rich not by owning a succesfull business. He got that rich by being the supposed elected leader of Russia.

Who doesn't see that as a problem? And who would therefore not question any action my this corrupt Russian government

I haven't seen either of you post anything but opinions that are in lock step with Putin's. If I missed the sources you or her are using and posting to support your view, please repost them or point them out. I'll take a look. Thanks. B)

Personally I haven't posted some articles, but as far as I know sweetagel578 has. Please look through the topic and find some.

Personally I haven't posted some articles, but as far as I know sweetagel578 has. Please look through the topic and find some.

Here is another article for you to consider Maureen. It has to do with Russian military actions at the port of Poti on the Black Sea. My question to you Maureen is why would Russia (who claims that this mission was a humanitarian rescue in South Ossetia) be doing at this Georgian port on the other side of the country?

I would love to hear your explanation of this... or what your government is saying through official news releases. Do you think the Georgian militiary was killing civilians in Porti too?

Russia Briefly Seizes Georgian Port

By GUY CHAZAN

August 19, 2008 11:10 a.m.

POTI, Georgia -- Russian troops briefly seized control of the economically vital Georgian port of Poti Tuesday morning, a day after Moscow said it had begun pulling its forces out of Georgia.

Associated Press

Georgians with their eyes covered sit atop of a Russian personnel carrier in Poti.

Some 70 Russian peacekeeping forces entered the port grounds Tuesday morning on armored personnel carriers, jeeps and an army truck, according to Georgian government and port officials. They detained 20 Georgian soldiers and confiscated their weapons. They left about four hours later for their base near the Georgian town of Senaki, taking the detainees with them. The Georgian soldiers were driven away on top of APCs, handcuffed and blindfolded, and Russian soldiers trained their automatic rifles on them as they rode back to Senaki.

The Russians also confiscated five jeeps and an armored Humvee belonging to the U.S. armed forces, according to Alan Middleton, CEO of Poti Sea Port Corp. He said the equipment was used for joint U.S.-Georgian military exercises and was sitting in the Poti container terminal ready to be shipped back to a U.S. base in Europe.

"I suppose the U.S. won't be impressed by losing their equipment," said Mr. Middleton.

The port had been forced to shut down Tuesday due to the Russian deployment, he said. There were ships waiting to come into Poti and others waiting to leave, he added.

In addition, the Russian forces commandeered a Georgian navy motor launch that was berthed on the port's breakwater. They tugged it to the nearby Georgian coast guard harbor and blew it up, according to Mr. Middleton and Georgian officials.

The detained servicemen were members of the Georgian coast guard, who had returned to their previously abandoned positions in Poti naval port late Monday night. Georgian officials said they had a right to do so under the cease-fire agreement with Russia. Officials from Poti followed the Russians to the Senaki base to try and negotiate the soldiers' release.

The Russian move is another blow to Georgia's economy just as intense diplomatic efforts by the European Union and Washington appeared to have succeeded in winning Russia's commitment to a pull-out. The conflict first blew up on Aug. 7, when Georgia attacked its breakaway region of South Ossetia, triggering a massive Russian counterattack. Russian forces have since occupied all of South Ossetia as well as areas deep into Georgian territory.

Khaimah, one of the United Arab Emirates. It is Georgia's busiest port and a key gateway for the region, last year handling eight million tons of cargo. A big expansion plan is in the works which will triple the port's capacity. Georgian President Mikheil Saakashvili has said Poti will be turned into a free economic zone and Ras Al Khaimah was planning an ambitious new industrial development next to the port.

Poti is a critical entry point not only for Georgia but also for its neighbors Azerbaijan and Armenia, as well as the land-locked nations of Central Asia. The flow of goods into Poti and other Georgian Black Sea ports like Batumi has already been disrupted by the war, especially the Russian occupation of Gori, which has severed the main east-west arterial road through Georgia.

The port was closed for two days after Russian planes bombed Poti on Aug. 8, at the start of the war, but since then it had been operating normally.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1219131183...=googlenews_wsj

Here is another article for you to consider Maureen. It has to do with Russian military actions at the port of Poti on the Black Sea. My question to you Maureen is why would Russia (who claims that this mission was a humanitarian rescue in South Ossetia) be doing at this Georgian port on the other side of the country?

I would love to hear your explanation of this... or what your government is saying through official news releases. Do you think the Georgian militiary was killing civilians in Porti too?

Russia Briefly Seizes Georgian Port

By GUY CHAZAN

August 19, 2008 11:10 a.m.

POTI, Georgia -- Russian troops briefly seized control of the economically vital Georgian port of Poti Tuesday morning, a day after Moscow said it had begun pulling its forces out of Georgia.

Associated Press

Georgians with their eyes covered sit atop of a Russian personnel carrier in Poti.

Some 70 Russian peacekeeping forces entered the port grounds Tuesday morning on armored personnel carriers, jeeps and an army truck, according to Georgian government and port officials. They detained 20 Georgian soldiers and confiscated their weapons. They left about four hours later for their base near the Georgian town of Senaki, taking the detainees with them. The Georgian soldiers were driven away on top of APCs, handcuffed and blindfolded, and Russian soldiers trained their automatic rifles on them as they rode back to Senaki.

The Russians also confiscated five jeeps and an armored Humvee belonging to the U.S. armed forces, according to Alan Middleton, CEO of Poti Sea Port Corp. He said the equipment was used for joint U.S.-Georgian military exercises and was sitting in the Poti container terminal ready to be shipped back to a U.S. base in Europe.

"I suppose the U.S. won't be impressed by losing their equipment," said Mr. Middleton.

The port had been forced to shut down Tuesday due to the Russian deployment, he said. There were ships waiting to come into Poti and others waiting to leave, he added.

In addition, the Russian forces commandeered a Georgian navy motor launch that was berthed on the port's breakwater. They tugged it to the nearby Georgian coast guard harbor and blew it up, according to Mr. Middleton and Georgian officials.

The detained servicemen were members of the Georgian coast guard, who had returned to their previously abandoned positions in Poti naval port late Monday night. Georgian officials said they had a right to do so under the cease-fire agreement with Russia. Officials from Poti followed the Russians to the Senaki base to try and negotiate the soldiers' release.

The Russian move is another blow to Georgia's economy just as intense diplomatic efforts by the European Union and Washington appeared to have succeeded in winning Russia's commitment to a pull-out. The conflict first blew up on Aug. 7, when Georgia attacked its breakaway region of South Ossetia, triggering a massive Russian counterattack. Russian forces have since occupied all of South Ossetia as well as areas deep into Georgian territory.

Khaimah, one of the United Arab Emirates. It is Georgia's busiest port and a key gateway for the region, last year handling eight million tons of cargo. A big expansion plan is in the works which will triple the port's capacity. Georgian President Mikheil Saakashvili has said Poti will be turned into a free economic zone and Ras Al Khaimah was planning an ambitious new industrial development next to the port.

Poti is a critical entry point not only for Georgia but also for its neighbors Azerbaijan and Armenia, as well as the land-locked nations of Central Asia. The flow of goods into Poti and other Georgian Black Sea ports like Batumi has already been disrupted by the war, especially the Russian occupation of Gori, which has severed the main east-west arterial road through Georgia.

The port was closed for two days after Russian planes bombed Poti on Aug. 8, at the start of the war, but since then it had been operating normally.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1219131183...=googlenews_wsj

Thank you for the article. So far I have no information concerning this situation. I'll just watch the news and hear what they say about it. But I'm sure our soldiers want to help victims. Though now I can't say anything for sure cuz I don't know what it is all about now.

Thanks again for information :)

um...thats false. He has posted a grand total of zero links in this thread...

ah sorry I don't understand you quite well...you mean there are no articles from her? (it's a girl))

if so, probably she's posted them on the thread "News that make you say WTF" or however it's called.

ah sorry I don't understand you quite well...you mean there are no articles from her? (it's a girl))

if so, probably she's posted them on the thread "News that make you say WTF" or however it's called.

In this thread, she has posted no links to any story whatsoever. Thats all I'm saying

And according to her post listings, she has not posted any links...

Probably not links but extracts, you know. She told me she had posted something proving our opinion, but I haven't look at it to see what exactly. But I'll ask her ok?

True!

1. After the U.N., and the majority of the other pansy countries of the world turn their backs on the US.

Why are you calling other countries "pansy", when all they did was "Democraticaly decide" not to back the American Government? Thats what democracy is, is it not? Or does the world have to side with Americia blindly? We do not live in 1876 anymore, we are free people, to make our own choices, we dont have to do what your government says. Or do we?

2. However, when in need of anything, who do they come running to first?

Please explain who and what you are talking about?

3. If you do not believe, that Iraq is better off, without that dictator Saddam Hussein running that country. Then you are very blind!

I for one know Iraq in not better off now that Saddam Hussein in not running that country. So where do you think I should go to collect my white stick and dark glasses, oh and my guide dog, but could I have a dog that will guide me Democraticaly to where ever I want to go, rather than where you want to take me?

4. It was no surprise when the U.S. invaded Iraq. After all the flaming hoops we tried to jump through to get are supposing allies to side with us, on already imposed sanctions by the UN.

It was no surprise to me either, you tried very hard to get as much support for invadeing Iraq as posible, but alas you failed miserably. You did not have the UN mandate to invade but you went and did it anyway. And your side kick Blair followed suit, without getting a mandate from the "British" people he is supposed to represent either. He acted just like Bush and went in on the attack, just like you say the Russian government is doing now.

5. Russia just showed the world they have NO diplomacy and will do as they please.

Just as the American government has done on many occations, both now and throughout history. Your government is no better that the ones you are trying to character assinate my friend, dont try to make out that the American government doesn't have blood on its hands just as the Russian government does now.

Sorry if you are not American, as I thought by your post that you are.

Regarde, Danny

I've seen many statements on Fox saying the Georgians are to blame, why would they censor that one?

Do you have a link to the video? All I can find is the 12yo girl one, which is an obvious political statement, she even interrupts the interviewer to make it.

sorry for this late reply. Fox expected a different story from that girl. they thought she's gonna talk about how she was escaping South Ossetia occupied by the Russians. It's considered to be a conservative channel, so i dont understand myself why they risked showing this interview live... sorry, dont have a link...

The 2000 reported deaths has been disputed by more than one human rights watch organizations. It appears to be nothing more than Russian propaganda.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/wo...0,3381598.story

gazprom_tank.jpg

Oh yeah? does your propoganda show people in South Ossetia crying over the coffins and dead people lying around in hospitals simply because whole families died and there is no one to bury them? Our "propoganda" shows that side of the story.

Azerbaijan can not send oil to Black Sea ports of Georgia because of the explosion of a railway bridge

Baku. August 16. Interfax-Azerbaijan - Azerbaijan has reduced shipping by rail to Georgia because of the explosion of the bridge 45 kilometres west of Tbilisi, told the Interfax-Azerbaijan "the press service management Azerbaijan State Railways (AGZHD).

"Vzorvan bridge on the railway on their way to Black Sea ports of Georgia. Therefore, we can not send freight trains with oil and oil products" - told the press service.

Earlier Ltd. "Georgian Railway" "Interfax" reported that traffic on the railway line linking east and west Georgia, on Saturday turned suspended.

According to the company, on Saturday, an explosion occurred on the bridge near the town of Caspian (45 kilometres west of Tbilisi), resulting in serious injuries received a large section of track.

In turn, press secretary of the Ministry of Transport and Communications Susanna Armenia Tonoyan said "Interfax" that the blast railway bridge on the Tbilisi-Gori 72 wagons can not go to Armenia.

"In the ongoing work to refine damages. Wagons for delivery to Armenia developed alternative routes," - S. Tonoyan said.

http://www.interfax.ru/news.asp?id=27586

Are you sure about that? For your analogy to be true you would need to deny the fact that Iraq had invaded Kuwait, used poison gas against the Kurds, fired scud missles at Saudi Arabia and Isreal, and initiated a very bloody and aggressive war against Iran for 10 years. Iraq had been the aggressor for a long time.

and how is what saddam did to the kurds any different than what saakashvili did to the south ossetians?

we help saddam get into power, sell saddam our weapons, decry saddam's attempt to prevent the kurds from breaking away and support sadaam's war against iran(who the kurds aligned with)...

hmmmm...deja vu??? :unsure:

sorry for this late reply. Fox expected a different story from that girl. they thought she's gonna talk about how she was escaping South Ossetia occupied by the Russians. It's considered to be a conservative channel, so i dont understand myself why they risked showing this interview live... sorry, dont have a link...

It's funny though how the people 'escaping' were running to Russia isn't it? Also, it is correct that the Georgians made the first move into South Ossetia but that that doesn't explain why the Russians are now in Georgian territory does it?

Archived