Jimmy Page to perform at closing ceremony of Beijing Olympics

widget

I am tickled PINK to hear this fantastic news, am waiting with bated (dragon) breath.

Good songwriting Ev. I was just thinking that Paul McCartney and/or Ringo Starr should also make an appearance to represent England's greatest gift to the world, The Beatles.

And, indeed they very well may appear.....

At the 2012 Opening Ceremonies !!!!!

I quess this is pretty much official by now ?

This is from today's London Times Online, which is usually a pretty good source. Pretty accurate reporting, not like The Mirror and the other trash rags.

The TimesAugust 19, 2008

Leona Lewis and the Becks factor as London takes over the GamesAshling O’Connor in Beijing and Ben Quinn

The celebrations marking Beijing’s handover to London as Olympic host city will feature David Beckham in a double-decker bus, a duet by Leona Lewis and Jimmy Page, and a singalong to the strains of Derby Ram.

The folk song, an ode to the charms of a fat male sheep and its bloody slaughter, has been selected as one of a number of regionally themed songs that will be performed at cities around Britain this weekend.

The handover will take place at 2.30pm BST on Sunday, when Boris Johnson, the Mayor of London, will symbolically be handed the Olympic flag in Beijing.

London Olympic organisers are hoping that Beckham can provide the star quality needed to ensure that their ceremony in Beijing this weekend does not pale in comparison to what the Chinese hosts promise to be another dazzling spectacle. The former England football captain will play a central role in the eight-minute slot granted to the next host city in the Games’ grand finale on Sunday night.

After entering the Bird’s Nest stadium atop a London bus, he will kick a football around with children representing the 205 Olympic nations. Lewis, the X Factor winner, and Page, lead guitarist with Led Zeppelin, are also scheduled to perform.

Hundreds of ballet dancers from the Royal Opera House accompanied by an urban dance act and a disabled dance troupe will perform routines before Mr Johnson receives the Olympic flag from his Beijing counterpart.Chinese organisers have only eight hours to transform the stadium at the end of the men’s marathon, the final event of the Games. The closing ceremony will feature a kung fu display by 350 local martial artists and 60 erhu, or Chinese violin players, from the eastern province of Jiangsu, according to the Beijing News.

Zhang Yimou, the creative director who was also in charge of the spectacular opening ceremony, which was revealed to be partially faked, said that the climax of the show would be the extinguishing of the Olympic flame.

“We are dedicated to creating a happy atmosphere. The message is to say goodbye, and to promise to meet again in four years,” he said.

The handover celebrations will be broadcast in cities across Britain on about 30 giant public screens. Regional choirs will lead 15 minutes of collective singing in each location. Cities taking part include Middlesbrough, Glasgow, Portsmouth, Manchester, Norwich, Bradford, Coventry, Derby, Birmingham, Swansea, Leicester and Blackpool.

The regionally themed songs will include Delilah in Swansea, Danny Boy in Belfast and I Do Like to be Beside the Seaside in Blackpool.

In London, 40,000 people are expected to gather for a party on the Mall, for which tickets have already been allocated.

The mayor also announced that a victory parade will be held in London on October 16 for the Team GB and Paralympian athletes

Who is this Ross guy?

A famous (well, maybe not if you don't know who he is ;) ) rock photographer and a good friend of Jimmy's. In fact, I believe he was a mentor to Jimmy's daughter Scarlet, who is also a rock photographer. Anyway, he and Jimmy often take trips together. And if Jimmy's playin' you can bet Ross is snappin'! He takes awesome pictures of Jimmy. You should check out that website of his. He blabs in his diary all the time about rock stars!

I heard London's presentation will be full of tongue-in-cheek vive, so it will fit in nicely with Jimmy's humour. Robert's "Eye Thank Ewe" routine would have fit in nicely with "Derby Ram" though :D

Meg

This is from today's London Times Online, which is usually a pretty good source. Pretty accurate reporting, not like The Mirror and the other trash rags.

The TimesAugust 19, 2008

Leona Lewis and the Becks factor as London takes over the GamesAshling O’Connor in Beijing and Ben Quinn

The celebrations marking Beijing’s handover to London as Olympic host city will feature David Beckham in a double-decker bus, a duet by Leona Lewis and Jimmy Page, and a singalong to the strains of Derby Ram.

Edited by Meg Ireland

I think it's great they're doing a folk song rather than attempt a song from their own catalogues. I heard London's presentation will be full of tongue-in-cheek vive, so it will fit in nicely with Jimmy's humour. Robert's "Eye Thank Ewe" routine would have fit in nicely with "Derby Ram" though :D

Meg

They're doing a folk song? I thought that was all the regional choirs?--though you could only call their songs "folk songs" in the broadest sense, I suppose.

I'm pondering which one I'd like to hear, now. Whisky in the Jar, perhaps? (Though more appropriate in earlier times.) :D

I am looking forward to watching this- until this thread started I had never heard of Leona Lewis and I have absolutely no idea what type of music she does- but just to see Jimmy on a stage again makes me very, very happy!

I have heard her album and she is forgetteble to me, where as Jimmy isn't. I have no idea what they could peform, as she sounds very ordinary from what I remember her album sounded. I can't wait to see Jimmy! He will clearly overshadow her, I'm sure.

Edited by aen27

The TimesAugust 19, 2008

The folk song, an ode to the charms of a fat male sheep and its bloody slaughter, has been selected as one of a number of regionally themed songs that will be performed at cities around Britain this weekend.

The handover will take place at 2.30pm BST on Sunday, when Boris Johnson, the Mayor of London, will symbolically be handed the Olympic flag in Beijing.

London Olympic organisers are hoping that Beckham can provide the star quality needed to ensure that their ceremony in Beijing this weekend does not pale in comparison to what the Chinese hosts promise to be another dazzling spectacle. The former England football captain will play a central role in the eight-minute slot granted to the next host city in the Games’ grand finale on Sunday night.

After entering the Bird’s Nest stadium atop a London bus, he will kick a football around with children representing the 205 Olympic nations. Lewis, the X Factor winner, and Page, lead guitarist with Led Zeppelin, are also scheduled to perform.

Hundreds of ballet dancers from the Royal Opera House accompanied by an urban dance act and a disabled dance troupe will perform routines before Mr Johnson receives the Olympic flag from his Beijing counterpart.Chinese organisers have only eight hours to transform the stadium at the end of the men’s marathon, the final event of the Games. The closing ceremony will feature a kung fu display by 350 local martial artists and 60 erhu, or Chinese violin players, from the eastern province of Jiangsu, according to the Beijing News.

Zhang Yimou, the creative director who was also in charge of the spectacular opening ceremony, which was revealed to be partially faked, said that the climax of the show would be the extinguishing of the Olympic flame.

“We are dedicated to creating a happy atmosphere. The message is to say goodbye, and to promise to meet again in four years,” he said.

The handover celebrations will be broadcast in cities across Britain on about 30 giant public screens. Regional choirs will lead 15 minutes of collective singing in each location. Cities taking part include Middlesbrough, Glasgow, Portsmouth, Manchester, Norwich, Bradford, Coventry, Derby, Birmingham, Swansea, Leicester and Blackpool.

The regionally themed songs will include Delilah in Swansea, Danny Boy in Belfast and I Do Like to be Beside the Seaside in Blackpool.

In London, 40,000 people are expected to gather for a party on the Mall, for which tickets have already been allocated.

The mayor also announced that a victory parade will be held in London on October 16 for the Team GB and Paralympian athletes

it doesnt say that jimmy and leona will perform this song.

So this will happen Sunday at some point? What time EST? I want to tape it. So it would be monday in China? Or are we going to see it on tape delay? If anyone has the specific times please post.

According to the U.S. TV listings the broadcast of the closing ceremonies (I'm sorry, they're taped), begins on NBC at 7pm ET, 6pm CT, 7pm MT and 6pm PT. It runs for four hours and Jimmy's portion, I'm sure will be near the conclusion. I will need to watch the whole thing to be certain not to miss his performance.

How long after his duet with Leona Lewis til it pops up on You Tube? Please make all predictions in seconds please!