Jimmy Page to perform at closing ceremony of Beijing Olympics

widget

I watched it live last night and it was 1 hour & 10 minutes into the show.

OK, that's it I guess, finally those of us on the east coast got to see it! Much better than the youtube vids but Jimmy's guitar was too muffled... :( Still rocked it though :)

And Kudos to the Chinese...what a show they presented!

Jimmy looked positively glowing!

Be gentle, we're getting knocked for it left, right and center :(

It wasn't as bad as I expected after the reviews I heard, actually pretty cool, though I think Jimmy should have been the one to rise out of the bus first, LOL!

It must have been a difficult performance for both of them due to the restricted space...

I'm sure glad I didn't miss it!

It wasn't as bad as I expected after the reviews I heard, actually pretty cool, though I think Jimmy should have been the one to rise out of the bus first, LOL!

It must have been a difficult performance for both of them due to the restricted space...

It did look a little difficult due to the lack of space but, give Jimmy his due, pure class and a real pro

thats what i was thinking........pity it wasnt just on a normal stage, so jimmy coulda really socked it to em.....but the bus idea was cool. i could tell he really wanted to let loose though, he clearly has lots of energy and still loves to perform. keep it goin jimmy , your on a roll...........

What's actually annoying about it is that it's us (Briton's) that's bashing the London segment. It's like we can't be happy just for a few friggin' minutes. When I saw the double decker (though we have none like that one) I was incredibly proud. And I was proud that Jimmy rose out of it. And I was proud it was WLL. And I was proud at the cheer that Beckham got (though, it pains me to say it). And I was proud Leona sang it well.

The way I see it is, if people are bashing London for such a bad segment, they're bashing my capital, but, more importantly, they're bashing Jimmy's home town.

I thought the bus icon was great and creative along with the dancers. Very visually exciting to me. Of course the main star as JP. He look great. LL I thought sang very well. I am sure it was very hard to perform on such a small platform. Great job by all!!

I just thought it was great that Bob Costas kept saying "legendary Jimmy Page",as if to let everyone know that there's no other explanation necessary.No "Led Zeppelins' Jimmy Page",just "legendary Jimmy Page". B)

Yeah, that was a refreshing change.

I'm writing an extensive review of their performance which I hope to post here soon.

One thing's for certain, I cannot make that claim :wub:

I take it you didn't like it :D

I'm writing an extensive review of their performance which I hope to post here soon.

One thing's for certain, I cannot make that claim :wub:

Surely, this would have been the biggest night of jimmy's life.I mean to play a song nearly 40 years old in front of BILLIONS of people.Thanks England for the perfect choice of legends to represent you. :thanku: :thanku:

What's actually annoying about it is that it's us (Briton's) that's bashing the London segment. It's like we can't be happy just for a few friggin' minutes. When I saw the double decker (though we have none like that one) I was incredibly proud. And I was proud that Jimmy rose out of it. And I was proud it was WLL. And I was proud at the cheer that Beckham got (though, it pains me to say it). And I was proud Leona sang it well.

The way I see it is, if people are bashing London for such a bad segment, they're bashing my capital, but, more importantly, they're bashing Jimmy's home town.

I dunno who's bashing London. But I got the whole passing the torch message for London 2012. Right down to Beckham kicking off the ball as being a symbol of that. It and the (albeit different interpretation of WLL, which I took to mean love around the world. A modern All You Need is Love) use of WLL was to me a very postive and optimistic statement. To London!! :beer:

I took Steve to mean that he did manage to look at Leona Lewis during the performance, and was not too horrified by what he saw, but I could be wrong . .

Anyway, I don't think anybody was actually bashing London, as such. But the British have ALWAYS bashed themselves, it's a national characteristic--though if somebody else does the bashing, then that's a different matter . . . (I'm a Brit. :D)

Well, it was a BBC clip and just popped up unannounced, so unless you recorded the whole thing, you may not be able to see anything. There was a clip, but it was taken down.

Is this the clip on YouTube? It's the BBC Olympic Breakfast program:

Meg

page-lew-cp-5389949.jpg

An eight-minute segment marking the handover to London, which will host the Games in 2012, had soul sensation Lewis and Page on top of a red double-decker bus rocking to Whole Lotta Love. The sexually-explicit song had to be amended to satisfy Chinese censors.

Yeah, I caught that... and had to laugh. Way to go Jimmy, whether intentional or not... not a damn thing they could do about it either. :lol:B)

~~~~~~~~~~~

I didn't get online or anything until I had a chance to watch it myself when they aired the closing ceremonies...

Anyway... my thoughts on it, as posted elsewhere...

I just thought I'd mention that I quite enjoyed the WWL bit.

I set my vcr to record the entire closing ceremonies because I knew I'd miss some of it and I had no idea just when Jimmy and Leona would do their stuff. (Knowing my luck, I was afraid I'd be outside having a smoke or walking the dog or something really mundane). I was also careful to not get online anywhere until after I saw it for myself.

I've watched other closing ceremonies in the past and they all tend to be a bit cheesy and over the top but with some great moments tucked into the middle here and there. From what I've seen of this one, it's no worse than many and better than some.

I thoroughly enjoyed watching Jimmy and Leona... and they both looked like they were enjoying themselves. I kinda liked her dress thing, and I liked the way they wound up together by the end of the song. I thought she sang well and as someone already mentioned, she didn't try to do a Robert Plant vocal version. Anyway, I thought she, and they, did it justice and I'm glad I watched... and I'm glad I have it on tape.

(I admit I was a tiny bit anxious... I kept remembering Fred Durst singing Thank You at the MTV Europe Awards or something like that... and I thought that was truly cringeworthy).

I took Steve to mean that he did manage to look at Leona Lewis during the performance, and was not too horrified by what he saw, but I could be wrong . .

Your correct. I must say she really nailed it (pre-recorded or not!) and showed true poise and genuine star quality. I'll probably start purchasing her solo work now, and

be glad to do so.

Your correct. I must say she really nailed it (pre-recorded or not!) and showed true poise and genuine star quality. I'll probably start purchasing her solo work now, and

be glad to do so.

I have her cd. Some of it's a bit over produced but she has a great voice and clearly not just some marketing image. Will be interesting to see what the next cd will be like.

I have her cd. Some of it's a bit over produced but she has a great voice and clearly not just some marketing image. Will be interesting to see what the next cd will be like.

For the benefit of myself as well as other forum members, can you specify if she writes her solo material on her own, in a collaboration, or not at all? In other words, is she at

this point merely a voice, or a songwriter as well? She's truly having some amazing life

experiences which could translate into some inspired material.

For the benefit of myself as well as other forum members, can you specify if she writes her solo material on her own, in a collaboration, or not at all? In other words, is she at

this point merely a voice, or a songwriter as well? She's truly having some amazing life

experiences which could translate into some inspired material.

Is this the place where I make the "Robert steals the blues" inquiry? :lol:

Easy folks! It's just for a laugh! :D

Archived