Jimmy Page to perform at closing ceremony of Beijing Olympics

widget

The BBC just had a quick post performance interview with the three of them. Jimmy looked very happy, joked that it was great for everyone, even 'old timer's like me'. He had a little giggle and then he walked away :D

has this sufaced yet? id love to see it, but it seems it has dissapeared into the ether.......... :unsure:

For any Aussie viewers of Today Tonight out there. There was a little report on the Olympics and of course Jimmy Page. You would NOT believe it in a million years, but the reporter said that Jimmy Page was from The Who??? My husband and I were completely dumfounded. I so much so that I've written to Today Tonight and made a nice complaint about it. This reporter is (apparently) educated??? Oh dear. :huh:

Full marks also to Britains Mirror newspaper who described "Status Quo's" guitairist Jimmy Page!

Haha

Funny.

http://fuppets.blogspot.com/2008/08/olympi...sh-give-us.html

Then the truly horrific British melt-down began. Out of the top of the bus rose some pop star, and a goddamn decrepit old white haired idiot who barely could hold up his heavy Les Paul guitar. It was sexagenarian Jimmy Page. Fucking Jimmy Page. He looked like a fucking retired golf pro. He proceeded to play along to a piped-in track of Whole Lotta Love by Led Zeppelin while the disposable pop-bitch who won some sort of TV show sang. There are so many things wrong with this but -FUPPETS- will point out just one. The song, Whole Lotta Love is the ultimate COCK ROCK anthem! The entire song is about how much cock you are going to try to stuff in your womans love-hole! It is about how fucking stretched out her pussy is going to get because you are going to bottom out hardcore because you are giving her SO MUCH COCK! Now, what in the holy fuck did the organizers of the London Games in 2012 think when they chose this particular song? Did they think no one would understand the original references and instead would assume the song to be a heavy metal ode to joy and a paean to the love and Olympic Spirit that the Olympics are designed to foster in the youth of the world? FUCK. It was terrible. Even the UK reporters are aghast at how fucking awful it was.

leona-lewis-jimmy-p_795518c.jpg

Barely audible: Leona Lewis and Jimmy Page performing Whole Lotta Love Photo: AFP/GETTY

Beijing Olympics: London 2012 handover blow to British pride

For the past couple of weeks it has been possible to feel an unaccustomed glow of pride at the achievements of our athletes at the Beijing Olympics. All those gold medals, fourth place in the league table – who would have dreamt it?

By Charles Spencer

Then came yesterdays closing ceremony, and Britains eight-minute window of opportunity to invite the world to London 2012 as the breathless BBC commentators put it. And guess what? We blew it spectacularly.

Amid the cast of thousands of thrillingly well-drilled Chinese dancers, acrobats, singers and fireworks technicians, a red, double-decker London bus chugged ominously into the birds nest stadium.

There was some naff modern dance from British youngsters pretending to be standing at a bus stop, and a cute 10-year-old girl chosen by the viewers of Blue Peter appeared at the bus door to receive a football to deliver to David Beckham, who later kicked it into the crowd of massed athletes.

How did he feel about this hardly challenging task, he was asked earlier.

Its very proud for London, very proud for myself, he replied inanely. What an archetypal British hero he is.

The roof of the bus eventually folded open to reveal green topiary depicting unrecognisable London landmarks and the X-Factor winner Leona Lewis rising up and up on a hydraulic lift and looking understandably uncomfortable in a dress that seemed to be made out of a couple of hundred yards of crumpled Bacofoil.

This was as nothing however to the horror of the raddled, sweat-drenched face of Led Zeppelin lead guitarist Jimmy Page, his snow-white hair unwisely tied back in a horrid little pigtail as he thrashed out the celebrated riff of Whole Lotta Love.

Unfortunately both he and Leona were virtually inaudible and all the palaver about toning down the songs famously filthy lyrics was unnecessary because you couldnt hear them anyway. The sound resembled a badly tuned transistor radio in a tin bucket, though elsewhere in the ceremony, and particularly when Placido Domingo sang, beautifully, it was perfectly acceptable.

In my time Ive witnessed countless Royal Variety Performances and the opening ceremony of the Dome. This British fiasco was worse than any of them, and even at only eight minutes seemed interminable. No wonder London mayor Boris Johnson looked so uncomfortable beforehand. He must have known what was coming.

I have two tips for you, Boris. Keep your hands out of your pockets when attending high-profile events like this, and secondly fire whoever responsible for this fiasco and hire proper showbiz professionals – from Las Vegas if necessary – to handle the opening and closing ceremonies in 2012. Another toe-curling embarrassment like this would be unendurable.

They loved it. :rolleyes:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/otherspor...tish-pride.html

I'm glad I finally saw the performance on something other than a computer screen!! :thumbsup:

I enjoyed it, but I barely even looked at Leona Lewis... :lol:

600xPopupGallery.jpg

You can almost see Leona's "love", from that voyeur camera angle.... :ph34r:

I "noticed" Leona...but what I realy did was "listen" to her voice..... I found that pleasurable. :D

Ive read a lot of the last 10 pages about opinions on the performance, was it live, etc. But I dont think anyone mentioned what I noticed. during the entire thing they ddid not send the direct audio feed to broadcast, but what was coming out from the arena speakers. Almost all the audio, especially vocals had the echo and was off by a bit as typical with such loudspeaker systems.

LL voice had it, and the guitar just did not sound right, not like it was coming right from one of Jimmys amps to our ears (but out the arenas speakers).

So I think that is why it never seemed like his playing matched up.

Im not saying this is definitive, but it just seemed that way to me.

Either way I enjoyed it quite a bit, she had a good voice, did the song well. Of course the guitar should have been twice as loud, but I think they made the vocals much louder on purpose

The only thing that would have topped this would have been Robert and Jimmy faking Stairway.

BTW I love the fact that Britain hated this. :D

Britain probably did hate it. They prefer seeing David Beckham kick a football into a crowd than watch Jimmy Page. Now it were Paul or Brian May that would be a different story.

I imagine they only reason Zeppelin gets any attention in the UK is the fact that they are so popular outside of the UK

Britain probably did hate it. They prefer seeing David Beckham kick a football into a crowd than watch Jimmy Page. Now it were Paul or Brian May that would be a different story.

I imagine they only reason Zeppelin gets any attention in the UK is the fact that they are so popular outside ot the UK

I was Happy to Jimmmy chosen to perform for Billions.......

Honestly, I would have thought the British would have chosen a fag to represent their Musical Heritage, like Sir Elton John. Not really knocking fags or Elton John.... I just think that that's who England think's represents them...

I was Happy to Jimmmy chosen to perform for Billions.......

Honestly, I would have thought the British would have chosen a fag to represent their Musical Heritage, like Sir Elton John. Not really knocking fags or Elton John.... I just think that that's who England think's represents them...

Elton may rock the jock strap, and play for anyone who will pay him thats true. But it doesn't change the fact that he is a brilliant musician. A modern day Mozart.

I'm sure Jimmy's gonna be completely heartbroken that a few internet new sites are slating his performance, along with all the expats that now complain how ashamed they are of it.

If he didn't think it was worth it, he wouldn't have done it. Stop complaining - be grateful you saw him at all.

Our media hasn't said anything negative on the performance at all - only internet sites and blogs.

And for fucks sake, if you're not from Britain, don't presume to think what we'd want or what we're like. To the ignorant who thought that Britain would only want a homosexual musician - nice. Just think of the nationality of the band whose forum you're on :rolleyes: I'm sure they'd be overjoyed to know that's what you think of them.

Elton may rock the jock strap, and play for anyone who will pay him thats true. But it doesn't change the fact that he is a brilliant musician. A modern day Mozart.

True That....

Actually..... considering the Security Measures that are already in place in London and the UK... with all of the Security Cameras recording everyone's moves.....

Another way to Welcome the World to the 2012 London Olympics, would have been for Sting to have been up on that double-decker bus singing lines from "Every Breath You Take"....

"Every breath you take

Every move you make

Every bond you break

Every step you take

We'll be watching you"

"Every single day

Every word you say

Every game you play

Every night you stay

We'll be watching you" :DB)

OMFG my video from Jimmy and Leona on YOutube was taken off again!!! Now my accound is dead!!!!! Thats the reason:

"NBC Universal told us that you are not allowed to upload this video because of copyright"

Damm, what the f*** do they want?? Why can't everyone out there watch the video?? ... :angry:

hey leddy, I had it taped but was driving when it came on and Alan Green of 5 live sport ( who had been paid to travel to commentate on the Olympics) was asked what he thought of the hand over and he said he'd missed it cos he was busy watching wigan vs chelsea on the TV. What a twat!! What a waste of money sending him :angry:

I think Alan Green is a twat anyway, he always seems to put a downer on any footy commentary he does !!!!

The Brits just love to knock everything we do !! But I for one was proud !!

I'm sure Jimmy's gonna be completely heartbroken that a few internet new sites are slating his performance, along with all the expats that now complain how ashamed they are of it.

If he didn't think it was worth it, he wouldn't have done it. Stop complaining - be grateful you saw him at all.

Our media hasn't said anything negative on the performance at all - only internet sites and blogs.

And for fucks sake, if you're not from Britain, don't presume to think what we'd want or what we're like. To the ignorant who thought that Britain would only want a homosexual musician - nice. Just think of the nationality of the band whose forum you're on :rolleyes: I'm sure they'd be overjoyed to know that's what you think of them.

Who's complaining? Not me!I loved it. Lets face it 4 stinkin minutes is not exactly going to prove anything special as a whole. But for me it was. Just seeing Jimmy was enough.

(BTW the Times UK has taken a few shots at Jimmy.)

Who's complaining? Not me!I loved it. Lets face it 4 stinkin minutes is not exactly going to prove anything special as a whole. But for me it was. Just seeing Jimmy was enough.

(BTW the Times UK has taken a few shots at Jimmy.)

I loved it too. I would have perfered Robert singing, but Leona did better than I thought, and I absolutely loved James, right down to his pony tail!

All the media bashing is just ridiculous. I can't find it now, but either The Guardian or The Independent had a really nice commentary which basically said that one of the writers had watched all the 8-minute handovers for the past several decades and found this one no more or less contrived than any of the others, and ended by saying that there was no need for all of the usual hand wringing. And I for one find it delightful that Boris Johnson is not a officious git––it's nice to have a relaxed mayor with a sense of humor!

But I guess, to quote A.S. Byatt, the English still feel that they "must always apologise"--when in fact, everyone should be celebrating Team GB and enjoying the moment!

One thing's for certain, I cannot make that claim :wub:

600xPopupGallery.jpg

You can almost see Leona's "love", from that voyeur camera angle.... :ph34r:

I "noticed" Leona...but what I realy did was "listen" to her voice..... I found that pleasurable. :D

Silly men... :lol:

Nothing against Lenora...I mean Leona, but all my attention was focused on the man in my siggy!! He needed more face time!! :wub:

Archived