Jimmy Page to perform at closing ceremony of Beijing Olympics

widget

it doesnt say that jimmy and leona will perform this song.

Given its theme, let's hope they don't! :blink:

Hmm... perhaps they could do Immigrant Song... a bit ironic, given the weather in China right now, but the aaah- aaah stuff might go well with the handover.

:P

B)

Hopefully, when they are done, Jimmy knocks her off the bus with his double-neck and starts jamming on his own! :D

:lol: I am with you on that, but, given the circumstances, may be that's not the case

If Jimmy and this Leona Lewis person are to do a folk song together, make it "Hats Off to (Roy) Harper."

Of course, she'll have to change the gender of the lyrics:

Well I ain't no monkey.

I can't climb no tree,

No brown skin man gonna make

No monkey out of me,

I ain't no monkey,

I can't climb no tree,

Been mistreated babe

I believe I'll shake 'em on down,

Well I've been mistreated babe

I believe I'll shake 'em on down.

Listen daddy,

Gave my baby a twenty yen bill,

If that don't get him,

Sure my shot, shot, shot-gun will,

Yeah, I gave my baby a twenty yen bill,

If that don't get that ol’ man,

I'm sure my shot-gun will.

Jimmy should use the next 4 minutes alloted to do the violin bow solo enshrouded in the green laser pyramid.

Gee what a surprise, Robert being made out to be the bad guy again :rolleyes:

That's what we who don't hate Robert wish the rest would get. But it's always something it seems. Robert's "selfish", it's all abot his "ego". It never seems to end around here.

Funny thing is, I'm more a Jimmy guy myself. He's my friggin musical hero! Yet I'm a "Plant Apologist" according to certain here. It's all so ridiculous. If certain people would stop jumping on every possible opportunity (or in some cases fabricating their own) to piss on Robert Plant, this wouldn't happen. It's a Zeppelin forum! Obviously when someone derides any member of the band, people will protest. What can ya do, y'know? Me, I just leave for awhile, and see if anything's changed when I drop back in. It never does. A damn shame.

What a surprise that such comments about Plant should follow several pages of the Plant Brigade ripping the Olympic Closing Ceremonies as being cheesy, exploitative, and akin to a private wedding despite Page taking part, rather than acknowledging it for the honor it is.

The Beijing Olympics opening ceremonies had the highest ratings ever in the US and at least 2,000,000,000 (two billion) people all over the world watched it. A huge number of people will be treated to Pagey's talent by this, and personally I'm proud and thrilled. Sorry if it's really twee that so many folks associate London with double decker bosses, and know who Beckam is, and I'm really sorry it's yet another pop bird selling her body in a tight dress, but damn - this is an honor and a goddam delight.

God knows if Plant had been asked to sing at the same time in the same place, we'd be hearing all about how utterly wonderful it is.

And you wonder why thing deteriorate around here? Seriously?

:rolleyes: is right.

What a surprise that such comments about Plant should follow several pages of the Plant Brigade ripping the Olympic Closing Ceremonies as being cheesy, exploitative, and akin to a private wedding despite Page taking part, rather than acknowledging it for the honor it is.

:huh: Have we been reading the same thread?

:huh: Have we been reading the same thread?

I confess, I didn't get through the whole thread. Started around here:

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com//index.php?s=&showtopic=7580&view=findpost&p=235578

and read several pages in a row bagging on the Olympic closing ceremonies (as well as ringing the bell at the Stock Exchange... but, I digress)

To be fair, it appears to be a certain Steve A. Jones who thinks this is akin to Fonzi jumping the shark and Spinal Tap, more than anyone.

I see there were then several more pages of much more fun discussion.

Bottom line, I am very much looking forward to Sunday and hope it IS WLL! Seems fitting.

:D

What members of the Plant brigade?

Utter tosh as usual. :rolleyes:

You always accuse me of being the biggest Plant apologist - yet I have been all for this idea since I first heard about it weeks ago.

P.S. How do you know Plant WASN'T asked???? :P

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com//index.php?s=&showtopic=7580&view=findpost&p=235578

and read several pages in a row bagging on the Olympic closing ceremonies (as well as ringing the bell at the Stock Exchange... but, I digress)

To be fair, it appears to be a certain Steve A. Jones who thinks this is akin to Fonzi jumping the shark and Spinal Tap, more than anyone.

Bottom line, I am very much looking forward to Sunday and hope it IS WLL! Seems fitting.

As are many people in this thread....specifically to seeing JP perform that is!

He's the guy who will capture any possible wardrobe malfunctions on film.

oooh, I hope it's Jimmy's wardrobe malfunction and not Leona's

According to the U.S. TV listings the broadcast of the closing ceremonies (I'm sorry, they're taped), begins on NBC at 7pm ET, 6pm CT, 7pm MT and 6pm PT. It runs for four hours and Jimmy's portion, I'm sure will be near the conclusion. I will need to watch the whole thing to be certain not to miss his performance.

How long after his duet with Leona Lewis til it pops up on You Tube? Please make all predictions in seconds please!

my prediction is 18 seconds

Crystalball.gif

If Jimmy and this Leona Lewis person are to do a folk song together, make it "Hats Off to (Roy) Harper."

Of course, she'll have to change the gender of the lyrics:

Well I ain't no monkey.

I can't climb no tree,

No brown skin man gonna make

No monkey out of me,

I ain't no monkey,

I can't climb no tree,

Been mistreated babe

I believe I'll shake 'em on down,

Well I've been mistreated babe

I believe I'll shake 'em on down.

Listen daddy,

Gave my baby a twenty yen bill,

If that don't get him,

Sure my shot, shot, shot-gun will,

Yeah, I gave my baby a twenty yen bill,

If that don't get that ol' man,

I'm sure my shot-gun will.

Jimmy should use the next 4 minutes alloted to do the violin bow solo enshrouded in the green laser pyramid.

Good idea about the laser pyramid! And that would be "renminbi" not "yen"...you can drop off the word "bill" and it fits into the rhythm.....Gave my baby a twenty renminbi.

;)

God knows if Plant had been asked to sing at the same time in the same place, we'd be hearing all about how utterly wonderful it is.

On the contrary....I think reactions would've been about the same though the rancor some appear to have for Robert would raise the negativity bar much higher.

I'm quite skeptical of any over-hyped event regardless of whom is jumping the shark.

That comment is beneath you Steve. As if Jimmy had planned this all along as a publicity stunt. :rolleyes:

It would be an honour for anyone to be invited to participate at a national ceremony, doing their bit for their country. I certainly would for mine.

Yeah, since it's been announced, it's pretty much been Steve on the rampage, hardly Plant brigade folk!

I think it will be great to see Jimmy representing London and I'm sure he'll do his hometown proud.

I should say that I only took my 'Lady Allison of the Pagettes' title down on the new official board because it seemed a bit silly as a tag for general consumption. Not sure why anyone feels the need to declare for Jimmy or Robert, really, or to see either with an uncritical eye––I think they're both great, and we ALL have our foibles and follies.

Yeah, since it's been announced, it's pretty much been Steve on the rampage, hardly Plant brigade folk!

I think it will be great to see Jimmy representing London and I'm sure he'll do his hometown proud.

I should say that I only took my 'Lady Allison of the Pagettes' title down on the new official board because it seemed a bit silly as a tag for general consumption. Not sure why anyone feels the need to declare for Jimmy or Robert, really, or to see either with an uncritical eye––I think they're both great, and we ALL have our foibles and follies.

agreed! even though i have " pagette " status, im first and foremost a led zeppelin fan. i love 'em all!

I'm quite skeptical of any over-hyped event regardless of whom is jumping the shark.

One person's overhyped event is another's 'good news'. I thought the phrase 'jumped the shark' had pretty well...erm... jumped the shark.

I bet you watch anyway. I know I will. :)

Agreed, on both bits I put in bold.

As I've said in the past, if I have to declare one or the other, I guess I'm a Pagette but think both are great. I don't think it has to be an either/or thing at all. I also do not for a moment think either one is infallible or always right or whatever. I also do not consider either one to be 'gods', rock or otherwise, for a variety of reasons (yeah, I'm sure that'll win me points...lol).

I'm gonna watch it... and I'm gonna tape it... cheesy, overhyped, exquisite, phenomenal, whatever it turns out to be... I'm gonna watch. B)

Archived