Jimmy Page to perform at closing ceremony of Beijing Olympics

widget

Was this really necessary?

It's called humor Billy.

What a surprise that such comments about Plant should follow several pages of the Plant Brigade ripping the Olympic Closing Ceremonies as being cheesy, exploitative, and akin to a private wedding despite Page taking part, rather than acknowledging it for the honor it is.

God knows if Plant had been asked to sing at the same time in the same place, we'd be hearing all about how utterly wonderful it is.

And you wonder why thing deteriorate around here? Seriously?

:rolleyes: is right.

Are you stalking me now? As in following me from thread to thread to attack me anytime I mention Robert Plant?

Where did I rip the Olympic Closing Ceremonies or Jimmy's performing there anywhere, ever, other than paraphrasing the Beatles' Mr. Kite as a laugh for the benefit of Mr. Steve?

I'm tickled he's doing it, thank you very much. So's Knebby. In fact, I haven't seen a single member of the so-called Plant Brigade make a single negative statement about it either. So what we clearly have here is an unwarranted and unprovoked attack on forum members for your own personal agenda.

Get over it already.

Oh and for the record, I belong to the Page Brigade. Always have. I just happen to not harbor malice for Plant like certain others here. There's a difference. A huge difference. So get off my ass already!

For the record... (again)... Personally, I'm more in awe over Jimmy flying half way around the world TWICE IN ONE YEAR at 64 y.o. than his being chosen for the closing ceremony. I'm so lazy, I can't even get my ass in a car and drive 2.5 hours to the nearest beach without feeling wiped! (Even a stunned Robert can't believe how lazy I am. Jimmy's showing him that my laziness is proprotional to how tall I am...)

32595633_743a9914b2.jpg

;)

Personally, I'm more in awe over Jimmy flying half way around the world TWICE IN ONE YEAR at 64 y.o. than his being chosen for the closing ceremony. I'm so lazy, I can't even get my ass in a car and drive 2.5 hours to the nearest beach without feeling wiped!

Bear in mind Jimmy took a seven year nap.

Can't wait.... think i got an hour time difference

I'd never watched an opening ceremony before but i actually did watch the beijing opener. And i have to say it was pretty impressive, as were the musical perormances, so ive no doubt in my mind that the closing ceremony will be just as good, and with Jimmy included thats a given.

I'm not on a rampage and never said he's doing it for publicity, just saying it's all a bit too Barnum & Bailey for the Jimmy Page I remember.

"...Hello, Cleveland!"

Steve, I think you're doing yourself a disservice looking at it the way you are.

Yes, it's commercial, but, that's the way of the world. (The communists lost, remember?) It's still true that most of the participating athletes are passionate and dedicated amateurs, not con artists. Their accomplishments have been mind boggling.

Led Zeppelin has made and continues to make money. It's a business, and JP is basically the CEO. If in part he's exposing the "brand" to the biggest market on earth, that's great, far as I'm concerned.

More important, out of all the music they could've selected, WWL is representing Britain! Wow!

The opening ceremonies were fantastic, not some Barnum & Bailey, "Hello, Cleveland" deal. No offense to Cleveland, I've been there and it's lovely, but Beijing is hardly Cleveland. For starters, it's been the capital of an ancient culture for hundreds of years.

This isn't schlock. Not to mention, would you turn down such an invitation? "Why, that's sweet of you, but, I'm washing my hair that night?" ;)

More important, out of all the music they could've selected, WWL is representing Britain! Wow!

Willie Dixon may disagree (from on high)! ;)

Just a joke! I'm all in for Page's appearance, and look forward to it with excitement!! :beer:

Steve, I think you're doing yourself a disservice looking at it the way you are.

Yes, it's commercial, but, that's the way of the world. (The communists lost, remember?) It's still true that most of the participating athletes are passionate and dedicated amateurs, not con artists. Their accomplishments have been mind boggling.

Led Zeppelin has made and continues to make money. It's a business, and JP is basically the CEO. If in part he's exposing the "brand" to the biggest market on earth, that's great, far as I'm concerned.

The opening ceremonies were fantastic, not some Barnum & Bailey, "Hello, Cleveland" deal. No offense to Cleveland, I've been there and it's lovely, but Beijing is hardly Cleveland. For starters, it's been the capital of an ancient culture for hundreds of years.

This isn't schlock. Not to mention, would you turn down such an invitation? "Why, that's sweet of you, but, I'm washing my hair that night?" ;)

Well, I certainly don't like my Jimmy Page doing things merely for the money. It's what leads to things like ringtones, cheap plastic keychains and white vinyl with blemishes.

I like my Jimmy Page to be wearing a tweed coat alongside the Thames in Pangbourne,

mixing In Through The Out Door in the upstairs bedroom at Plumpton Place, and up in

his room at the Hyatt House on the Sunset Strip, surrounded by Afghan wall hangings,

waiting for something to come through.

I am excited for him to finally perform in China. I do wish him well and all the best.

"My Jimmy Page". Aw c'mon Steve!

Besides, he ain't like Gene Simmons selling lunchboxes! :lol:

The festivities are not his making. He just agreed to perform. Maybe the circus is as galling to him as it is to some of us. Maybe he's rolling his eyes wondering what he got himself into. Tail wagging the dog so to speak? Maybe he was invited, signed up, and now has said "Oh bloody hell!".

"Someone get me off these bloody waterskis!" :lol:

Or maybe he's just standing on the Great Wall with pal Ross and saying "Beckham's gonna do what? Off a what???" :hysterical:

Well, I certainly don't like my Jimmy Page doing things merely for the money

. It's what leads to things like ringtones, cheap plastic keychains and white vinyl with blemishes.

I like my Jimmy Page to be wearing a tweed coat alongside the Thames in Pangbourne,

mixing In Through The Out Door in the upstairs bedroom at Plumpton Place, and up in

his room at the Hyatt House on the Sunset Strip, surrounded by Afghan wall hangings,

I am excited for him to finally perform in China. I do wish him well and all the best.

what makes you think he is?

"David Beckham will star at the Olympics closing ceremony in Beijing

as the handover to London 2012 gets under way.

The spectacular event on August 24 will also see Led Zeppelin's Jimmy

Page performing a duet with pop star Leona Lewis.

And an incredible finale will feature Becks, 33, arriving on top of

one of London's iconic red double-decker buses - before he kicks a

football into the crowd to celebrate.

Hundreds of dancers from the UK will then perform ballet and

break-dancing routines as the countdown to 2012 begins.

An insider said: "It is set to be one of the most mind-blowing

spectacles ever. David was elated to be asked to take part, as was

everyone who has been invited.

"Having a rock god like Jimmy Page and a singer like Leona Lewis

performing together for the first time will certainly be something to

remember."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2...15875-20696807/

Meg

I wonder how Jimena fells about jimmy on stage with such a younger woman ?It would have been nice if jimmy had written some new materiel for this special occasion .Maybe even seen by Robert as a slap in the face as far as collaborations go ,as this is a perfect opportunity to show case jimmy's writing talent with female artist of a different style to Hume Robert is collaborating with alison krauss.what ever the song "WLL": lets hope Leone Lewis is available to put jimmy in a new direction Musically ,as Alison did for Robert. :thumbsup:

Now he's in it for the money? He hardly needs that! :lol:

Maybe he was just honored to be invited!

And I miss when my dad put gas in the tank for me. :lol:

You've got it well preserved mate. But the wheels roll on. ;)

It's called humor Billy.

Are you stalking me now? As in following me from thread to thread to attack me anytime I mention Robert Plant?

Where did I rip the Olympic Closing Ceremonies or Jimmy's performing there anywhere, ever, other than paraphrasing the Beatles' Mr. Kite as a laugh for the benefit of Mr. Steve?

I'm tickled he's doing it, thank you very much. So's Knebby. In fact, I haven't seen a single member of the so-called Plant Brigade make a single negative statement about it either. So what we clearly have here is an unwarranted and unprovoked attack on forum members for your own personal agenda.

Get over it already.

Oh and for the record, I belong to the Page Brigade. Always have. I just happen to not harbor malice for Plant like certain others here. There's a difference. A huge difference. So get off my ass already!

Where did I say YOU ripped on anything? I don't even know what you posted in this thread. I mentioned several pages of posts, which people are free to read, and come to their own conclusions about.

I'm not stalking you. You've recently increased your presence on the board, that's all. You're going to run in to me.

Sheesh, talk about get over it!

I'll ask you again - if you have some bone to pick with me, take it to PM so we can duke it out proper. Otherwise all you're up to is the same old boring, transparent attempt at drawing me into a public fight. :coffee:

Well, I certainly don't like my Jimmy Page doing things merely for the money. It's what leads to things like ringtones, cheap plastic keychains and white vinyl with blemishes.

Remember when i started the post about jimmy and john paul jones playing with the foo fighters Now that was what i could see as a bad move (specially when there was a movie containing footage of there guest appearance ) as to what your talking about; is selling there souls for the sake of the mighty $$$ :lol:

what makes you think he is?

I was merely making a counter-argument to him being akin to a CEO of Led Zeppelin.

I think he's going to China primarily because he has never been. The fact someone

else is picking up the tab, making all the arrangements and that he gets to plug in

and play is icing on the cake.

I was merely making a counter-argument to him being akin to a CEO of Led Zeppelin.

I think he's going to China primarily because he has never been. The fact someone

else is picking up the tab, making all the arrangements and that he gets to plug in

and play is icing on the cake.

Seriously, Steve, I'm sure he's going because it actually is an honour to represent London.

I wonder how Jimena fells about jimmy on stage with such a younger woman ?It would have been nice if jimmy had written some new materiel for this special occasion .Maybe even seen by Robert as a slap in the face as far as collaborations go ,as this is a perfect opportunity to show case jimmy's writing talent with female artist of a different style to Hume Robert is collaborating with alison krauss.what ever the song "WLL": lets hope Leone Lewis is available to put jimmy in a new direction Musically ,as Alison did for Robert. :thumbsup:

Alison Krauss has a mantlepiece full of Grammys. Leona Lewis is a Simon Cowell protege

with no chance of influencing Jimmy's musical direction. An arranged marriage, nothing more.

Um, the following post was made by you in response to me. You even quoted me before you spoke:

What a surprise that such comments about Plant should follow several pages of the Plant Brigade ripping the Olympic Closing Ceremonies as being cheesy, exploitative, and akin to a private wedding despite Page taking part, rather than acknowledging it for the honor it is.

This was a response to a post I made.

If you're not after me, quit quoting me.

Oh, and no respose to anything I said about being a Page Brigader? And where's your elegant retort to the point I made that none of the so-called "clique" made a single derogatory remark about Page playing the Olympics? Read the thread. It ain't there.

Which of "us" did the "ripping"?

Please feel free to cite references.

Names! Aw, none! Damn!

Far as I see, the only person taking a "Jump the shark" point of view is Steve. And we're having a laugh about it.

And no, he's not a member of the "Private mailing list". In fact, he and Knebby are generally cool at best with each other. But that's not my business. Just an observation.

Next.

Seriously, Steve, I'm sure he's going because it actually is an honour to represent London.

If he's representing London I imagine he and Ross are going to spend the rest of the week busking, wearing hoodies and stealing cellphones.

2004WhitesnakeConcertinLondon.jpg

Straight Outta London

Archived