Jimmy Page to perform at closing ceremony of Beijing Olympics

widget

Pm recieved and responded to. Twice no less, as I want my feelings clear. I truly hope we can get back to why we're all here to begin with!

Sleep well!

I would, but Angi's hogging the bed! :lol:

And the only people here I'm offended by are the ones who say "Piss on" any member of Zeppelin for any reason (not meaning you) cause that's just rude and uncalled for. They should all be celebrated for what they've given us! Because without that, none of us would be here at all! :beer:

Well said

No disrespect to Glicine, but I wish that these Olympics were anyplace else, because I hate the glory they bring to a repressive regime--however, I've convinced myself that as Jimmy's involved in the part that's the handover to London, that that's somehow different . . . Anyway, I'll be watching.

No disrespect to Glicine, but I wish that these Olympics were anyplace else, because I hate the glory they bring to a repressive regime--however, I've convinced myself that as Jimmy's involved in the part that's the handover to London, that that's somehow different . . . Anyway, I'll be watching.

Me too. I understand fully

Well, I said "in my country", of course I know Jimmy is doing that for London and UK, I never said it‘s FOR China, did I?

About the Olympics, sure we can have different points about the government, but I'd say my country and the people there deserve the Olympics as great sport events and the success.

Well, I said "in my country", of course I know Jimmy is doing that for London and UK, I never said it‘s FOR China, did I?

About the Olympics, sure we can have different points about the government, but I'd say my country and the people there deserve the Olympics as great sport events and the success.

No, I didn't mean to imply you did say that it was for China, and obviously we all have different feelings toward our own countries. I just meant it was part of the Beijing Olympics, which is something that makes me rather uncomfortable, and by saying "no disrespect to Glicine" I was trying to make clear my problem wasn't with individual Chinese people. :beer:

Anyway, back to the performance--as it's part of the London handover, I'm assuming Jimmy's appearance will be toward the end?

No, I didn't mean to imply you did say that it was for China, and obviously we all have different feelings toward our own countries. I just meant it was part of the Beijing Olympics, which is something that makes me rather uncomfortable, and by saying "no disrespect to Glicine" I was trying to make clear my problem wasn't with individual Chinese people. :beer:

Anyway, back to the performance--as it's part of the London handover, I'm assuming Jimmy's appearance will be toward the end?

Thanks. We really don't need political argues on a musical forum for our beloved musicians. :rolleyes:

Yes I think it' would be toward the end, as the others had done at the other olympics.

I heard from a friend of mine last night who is working the Olympics. He said that the song that Jimmy Page will be performing is Whole Lotta Love. The tracks including the vocals and Jimmy Page's guitar are pre recorded and will be lip synced during the closing of the Olympics.

I heard from a friend of mine last night who is working the Olympics. He said that the song that Jimmy Page will be performing is Whole Lotta Love. The tracks including the vocals and Jimmy Page's guitar are pre recorded and will be lip synced during the closing of the Olympics.

A lip AND guitar sync? I guess Beckboy's got it easy getting stuck in between all that skirt. Still, I fear the Chinese are not keen on live events just in case if someone says - God forbid- a bad thing about their lip syncing performances.

ps- any word on rehearsal footage through YouTube? :)

Jimmy and Leona?? It's true ... check it out here ...

http://www.gibson.com/en%2Dus/Lifestyle/Ne...wis%20Team%20U/

Weren't we under the assumption this gig would be in Beijing? Now this article says it's on stage in London?! Well, there goes those frequent flyer miles Jimmy's been rackin' up over the year...

Ross said he was off with Jimmy, so...

Pre-recorded???? UGH. I guess this hot shot producer had his own pretty little vision that required it.

But still...kinda cheesy for Jimmy. So, he'll basically be standing on the bus with his guitar. :blink:

WOW! Can't wait for that! Leaks are rampant too, I read somewhere where a 72 year old leaked info about some things pre-recorded.

Oh well. At least we'll get some great shots from Ross.

I am happy to see Jimmy anywhere, but now this is sounding cheesier as it goes along.

I find the info about the three J's getting together far more interesting. :cheer:

Either that article contains some serious factual mistakes, or Jimmy's in serious trouble, given that he and Halfin should be arriving in China about now. :o

Gibson says ... Page and Lewis are also scheduled to appear from London, where they will perform live from the Mall, the road that runs from Buckingham Palace to Trafalgar Square.

Ross says: August 19

Off to Beijing, China today, with my old chum Jimmy Page. I don't have any idea what to expect - never been... He might expect to find Jimmy in London and not in Beijing!

This is morphing into a bad scene from Home Alone.

:unsure:

WLL is "to racy" for Olympics so a politically correct version is to be played. :rolleyes:

Lip sync and mime to a politically correct version of the song? This whole thing was a really dumb idea from the get go. Can't believe Jimmy is participating in pop-culture garbage. Jagger could have told him a thing or two about performing in Red China.

Here's the piece, to save you clicking--

The song was chosen as the centrepiece of an eight-minute £2.5million British segment at the event in Beijing at which the Olympic flag will be officially passed to the London Mayor Boris Johnson.

Organisers of the London 2012 Games commissioned the band's guitarist Jimmy Page to record a new version of the song to be performed on top of a special red double-decker bus accompanied by Leona Lewis, winner of the ITV reality television show The X Factor, with David Beckham looking on.

But, according to London 2012 officials, Lewis - who grew up in east London close to the Olympic site - requested a change to the song's second verse because she was worried they would not make sense for a female singer.

In the original, recorded in 1969, frontman Robert Plant sings, "I'm gonna give you every inch of my love".

But in the version that will be sung tomorrow, however, Lewis changes the words to "every bit" of my love.

The band also agreed to a request from organisers to drop the third verse, which includes similar sexual innuendoes, to fit in to the eight-minute performance.

With an estimated two billion around the world expected to tune in for the closing ceremony, the British segment will throw the spotlight firmly on preparations for the London Games in four years time.

Celebrations are being planned at 30 sites across Britain to celebrate the handover.

Tens of thousands of people are expected to gather in the Mall as the skies above Buckingham Palace are turned the colours of the Union Flag by the Red Arrows display team.

The events, seven time-zones apart, will focus the eyes of the world on Britain's Olympic efforts at the end of the most success Games for 100 years. Last night the British gold medal tally stood at 18 with hopes for more success today.

In contrast to the Beijing organisers, who have been accused of creating a Games lacking in fun and Olympic spirit, London's creative team say they want the show to reflect Britain's deep cultural heritage and party spirit.

As the Beijing mayor Guo Jinlong passes the flag to Boris Johnson, the Greenwich pips will herald the start of the London section of the show followed quickly by a rendition of the national anthem - including, unusually, its second verse, performed by 25 children from the National Youth Theatre.

A London bus will then be driven into the arena, chased by Britain's Olympic gold medal winning cyclists Chris Hoy and Victoria Pendleton.

Shanaze Reade, the BMX cyclist who was set to win a silver medal in yesterday's competition before a spectacular fall, will have a scan on a wrist injury before deciding whether she can take part.

The top section of the vehicle will open up like a "lotus flower" to reveal a stage from which elevated platforms will lift Lewis and Page. A further platform will rise up to reveal former England captain Beckham, flanked by a violinist and a cellist dressed in Britain's official Olympic kit.

Beckham, who featured in England's disappointing 2-2 draw against the Czech Republic at Wembley on Wednesday night, will then kick a football into a crowd of athletes in the centre of the arena.

Tayyiba Dudhwala, a 10-year-old girl from east London, will appear alongside Beckham after winning a competition on the children's programme Blue Peter.

London officials explained they chose the Led Zeppelin number for its instantly recognisable guitar riff and because it would sum up London's desire to turn the 2012 Olympics into 'one big party'.

Dancers from the Royal Opera House, a hip hop dance troupe from South London called ZooNation and CandoCo, a group made up of able bodied and disabled dancers, have spent the last two weeks with other performers preparing for the show at an airfield an hour and a half outside Beijing.

Bill Morris, London 2012 director of culture, ceremonies and education, said: "This is not a distilled version of our opening ceremony four years from now.

"We wanted to keep it simple, make it youthful and diverse. It's entertaining and fun and it's UK and London, loud and proud."

:unsure:

London officials explained they chose the Led Zeppelin number for its instantly recognisable guitar riff and because it would sum up London's desire to turn the 2012 Olympics into 'one big party'.

In other words, featuring Leona Lewis really serves no purpose beyond television ratings.

Lip sync and mime to a politically correct version of the song? This whole thing was a really dumb idea from the get go. Can't believe Jimmy is participating in pop-culture garbage. Jagger could have told him a thing or two about performing in Red China.

Well Steve, it's even more Tap now that the venues seems to have changed! :thumbsup:

Ah but it could be worse- like a duet with Lewis and special guests, dwarfs. (sorry- I meant to say the p.c. version, little people...)

UK_SpinalTapDwarf_400.jpg

Archived