Jimmy Page to perform at closing ceremony of Beijing Olympics

widget

For the benefit of myself as well as other forum members, can you specify if she writes her solo material on her own, in a collaboration, or not at all? In other words, is she at

this point merely a voice, or a songwriter as well? She's truly having some amazing life

experiences which could translate into some inspired material.

Most of the songs she didn't write except for "Whatever It Takes" though I apologise that the liner notes are sooooo tiny even with my specs on, it's tough to read. Simon Cowell and Clive Davis produced it.

You look at him and think 'fuck, this man is the mayor of our capital' and then he talks and it's just genius. Where does he get it? :D

He gets so much ridicule, but I actually like him. Total nutter, but he's got personality.

Wiff waff :D

'I have every confidence that when people come to London in 2012, they're gonna find it's gonna be different from 1908' :lol:

Hahaaaaaaaaaaa, I love that guy! May he be my mayor anon. Thanks for the link, ldw!

What's actually annoying about it is that it's us (Briton's) that's bashing the London segment. It's like we can't be happy just for a few friggin' minutes. When I saw the double decker (though we have none like that one) I was incredibly proud. And I was proud that Jimmy rose out of it. And I was proud it was WLL. And I was proud at the cheer that Beckham got (though, it pains me to say it). And I was proud Leona sang it well.

The way I see it is, if people are bashing London for such a bad segment, they're bashing my capital, but, more importantly, they're bashing Jimmy's home town.

But who's doing all the bashing?! I thought it was great and as far as these kinds of ceremonies go, did London proud! And you all deserve a big celebration for the amazing job Team GB did this Olympics--4th in the overall standings after China, USA, and Russia is incredible.

Hahaaaaaaaaaaa, I love that guy! Thanks for the link, ldw!

But who's doing all the bashing?! I thought it was great and as far as these kinds of ceremonies go, did London proud!

It was better than what's been previously said in the papers. There was dancing but there were hardly any hip hoppers seen. Much better than the 2000 Sydney Olympics.. our preoccupation here with Kylie and "Dancing Queen" was nauseus.. as were the cardboard lawnmowers, rectangular sheep costumes, and strategically placed token Aboriginals for the cameras. I don't understand why people still believe Sydney was the best.. it was larded with kitch. During the closing ceremony of Atlanta 1996, the handover to Australia involved a segment which had dancers dressed in plastic inflatable kangaroo jumpsuits, made in China. It was cringeworthy. I am already looking forward to travelling to London to see the 2012 games.

CBC News(Canada)

Jimmy Page, Leona Lewis light up Olympics closing event

Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page, right, and British pop singer Leona Lewis perform Whole Lotta Love during the closing ceremony for the Beijing 2008 Olympics at the National Stadium. (Greg Baker/Associated Press)The closing ceremonies of the Olympic games in Beijing were a glittering display of human energy featuring a universe of stars including Led Zeppelin guitar legend Jimmy Page, Leona Lewis and tenor Placido Domingo, who duetted with Chinese singer Song Zuying.

A volcanic burst of fireworks flashed off the top rim of the National Outdoor Stadium to mark the start of Sunday's ceremony.

After an army band played the Chinese national anthem, hundreds of dancers, acrobats and drummers swirled onto the field in a carnival-like display of movement.

An eight-minute segment marking the handover to London, which will host the Games in 2012, had soul sensation Lewis and Page on top of a red double-decker bus rocking to Whole Lotta Love. The sexually-explicit song had to be amended to satisfy Chinese censors.

Spanish tenor Placido Domingo sings with Chinese folk singer Song Zuying. (David Guttenfelder/Associated Press)Then, English soccer star David Beckham came out to kick a ball into the crowd.

The cast of 7,000 in Beijing included 350 practitioners of kung-fu and 60 players of the Chinese violin, or erhu, and a group of famous Cantonese and Mandarin pop stars.

The closing ceremonies are considered a baby version of the spectacular opening ceremonies which included 15,000 performers — none of whom was part of the closing event.

Like the opening ceremonies, much of the finale was kept secret. Both events cost an estimated $100 million to produce.

Both occasions were co-ordinated by Chinese film director Zhang Yimou, who spent three years designing the Olympic bookends.

Dallas Morning News

Sat, August 23, 2008

NBC sees another ratings opening in Games' closing ceremonies

There is no more anticlimactic event in the wide world of sports than a closing ceremony at the Olympic Games. It's like watching the final marathon runner cross the finish line hours after the leaders.

The athletic competition is finished. Most of the top-name athletes have fled. The passing of the flag from Beijing to London should be the most significant moment captured by NBC on videotape.

But these Games have been NBC's party and the network wants to eke out every last Olympic moment, not to mention prime-time victory over its rivals.

Where Bob Costas and Matt Lauer called the opening ceremony, NBC is expanding the booth for the finale. Costas will be joined by Dan Hicks, who called every one of Michael Phelps' gold medal races, and Mary Carillo, the grand dame of the network's coverage. China expert Joshua Cooper Ramo will be on hand as he was at the opening, to help explain custom, politics and history.

The finale will be another grandiose show produced by master filmmaker Zhang Yimou. We'll see how he works with a smaller crew. The 15,000 performers (or was it 15,001 given the singer behind the lip sync?) that worked 16 days ago have been downsized to 6,800. Placido Domingo will be the lead singer in Beijing. Jimmy Page and Leona Lewis will perform in London where they are expected to be joined by Phelps and David Beckham.

David Neal, NBC Olympics' executive producer, says he has seen the closing ceremony rehearsals and "it will not disappoint."

It couldn't possibly. It's been a good run, but as Friday's first significant drop in ratings indicates, every run needs a finish line.

20080804ClosingCeremonyPinNBC.jpg

NBC Commemorative Closing Ceremony Pin

What's actually annoying about it is that it's us (Briton's) that's bashing the London segment. It's like we can't be happy just for a few friggin' minutes. When I saw the double decker (though we have none like that one) I was i proud. I was proud that Jimmy rose out of it. And I was proud it was WLL. And I was proud at the cheer that Beckham got (though, it pains me to say it). And I was proud Leona sang it well.

The way I see it is, if people are bashing London for such a bad segment, they're bashing my capital, but, more importantly, they're bashing Jimmy's home town.

Yes its a real pisser that thats what are fellow countryman do :(, again and I will keep saying I liked the whole eight min Brit segmant ! When I think of New York I think yellow taxi, London its the black cab and Red Bus. They were slagging it off on radio 5 last night but people couldn't come up with anything better in its place !!

Did they want Maggie Thatcher pushed out in a wheel chair ?? Captain Sensible ? Gareth Barry (although he is in my fantasy footy tem :) ), I guess probably not so Beckham whatever you think of him is well known around the world, leona is the hottest property on the music front in UK at the mo (whatever you think of her music) and Jimmy Page is an icon and comes from one of the most influential bands of all time !! Football and music is what we are famous for so I thought it was a good choice !!

Right thats my rant over...or is it, I now here that Scotland, Wales and parts of England (Northern Isles not so far ) are unhappy that its in london...WTF ?? its London so its going to be centred around a London theme, I live on the South coast so I could say it has nothing to do with me, but it does as its in the capitol of the UK so good luck to them !!!

Sorry going off topic :)

The whole London thing gets a thumbs upwith me anyway :D

"David Beckham will star at the Olympics closing ceremony in Beijing

as the handover to London 2012 gets under way.

The spectacular event on August 24 will also see Led Zeppelin's Jimmy

Page performing a duet with pop star Leona Lewis.

And an incredible finale will feature Becks, 33, arriving on top of

one of London's iconic red double-decker buses - before he kicks a

football into the crowd to celebrate.

Hundreds of dancers from the UK will then perform ballet and

break-dancing routines as the countdown to 2012 begins.

An insider said: "It is set to be one of the most mind-blowing

spectacles ever. David was elated to be asked to take part, as was

everyone who has been invited.

"Having a rock god like Jimmy Page and a singer like Leona Lewis

performing together for the first time will certainly be something to

remember."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2...15875-20696807/

Meg

For any Aussie viewers of Today Tonight out there. There was a little report on the Olympics and of course Jimmy Page. You would NOT believe it in a million years, but the reporter said that Jimmy Page was from The Who??? My husband and I were completely dumfounded. I so much so that I've written to Today Tonight and made a nice complaint about it. This reporter is (apparently) educated??? Oh dear. :huh:

For any Aussie viewers of Today Tonight out there. There was a little report on the Olympics and of course Jimmy Page. You would NOT believe it in a million years, but the reporter said that Jimmy Page was from The Who??? My husband and I were completely dumfounded. I so much so that I've written to Today Tonight and made a nice complaint about it. This reporter is (apparently) educated??? Oh dear. :huh:

Oops :) don't think its cause the UK were ahaed of Aus in the meddle table ? :) ducks and hides :)

VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION - did Jimmy played from playback or he really played at the time of performing?

reading through this thread it seems it was mimed and recorded earlier !

Oops :) don't think its cause the UK were ahaed of Aus in the meddle table ? :) ducks and hides :)

See there's a first time for everything! ;)

You're right though, the UK aren't known for their medalling! :D

Well done (chokes on words...) :rolleyes: , now on to London Town 2012!

See there's a first time for everything! ;)

You're right though, the UK aren't known for their medalling! :D

Well done (chokes on words...) :rolleyes: , now on to London Town 2012!

:) We have to gloat when we can as it doesn't happen often :)

Boris Johnson isn't a comic genius; simply a journalist well versed in writing witty little sketches. How he'll manage his responsibilities is another matter entirely. Show me a Tory and I'll show you a...well, never mind.

Apologies for the threadjack, I really enjoyed watching Jimmy and Leona!

Here is a report in german: "London steals Peijing the show"

London stiehlt Peking die Schau

Die kommenden Gastgeber der Sommerspiele brachten Abwechslung in die langatmige Schlussfeier. London setzt für 2012 offenbar auf „Flair und Witz“, kommentierte der Daily Telegraph.

London ist 2012 der GastgeberAls die krachenden Gitarrenriffs von Jimmy Page ertönten, hatte der kommende Olympia-Gastgeber London den Organisatoren von Peking bei deren eigener Schlussfeier innerhalb von nur acht Minuten komplett die Schau gestohlen. Zehntausende feierten den legendären Led-Zeppelin-Gitarrist, der gemeinsam mit Popsternchen Leona Lewis den weltbekannten Rock-Klassiker "Whole lotta Love" durch das Vogelnest hämmerte. Der Auftritt auf einem roten Doppeldecker-Bus gab der spektakulären aber langatmigen Schlussfeier die nötige Würze.

Zuvor hatte bereits Londons Bürgermeister Boris Johnson durch einen hemdsärmeligen Auftritt begeistert. Mit offenem Jacket, deutlich zu großen Hosen und Händen in den Taschen schlenderte das erst im Frühjahr gewählte Stadtoberhaupt zur Übergabezeremonie. In der von China bis ins kleinste Detail inszenierten Feier wirkte Johnson wie ein frecher Schuljunge: Fremdkörper und willkommene Abwechslung zugleich.

Britische Medien feierten Auftritt von Page, Lewis und Beckham

Britische Medien feierten den Auftritt von Page, Lewis sowie Megastar David Beckham, der von dem roten Bus aus mit einem Fußball symbolisch den Anstoß für London 2012 machte. Die Übergabe habe mehr an die Zeiten des Swinging London als an die kosmopolitische Finanzmetropole von heute erinnert, fand die britische Presse. "Wenn das ein Statement der Organisatoren war, sich nicht mit der Größe und dem Spektakel von Peking zu messen, sondern stattdessen auf Flair und Witz zu setzen, ist das gelungen", kommentierte der konservative Daily Telegraph.

Als aufkommende Supermacht hatte China etwas zu beweisen, London jedoch sollte, so der Telegraph, den Charakter der Nation bewahren und ein wenig dezenter auftreten. Die Daily Mail stimmte ein: "Wir sollten etwas skurril Britisches bieten mit einem langanhaltenden Erbe und ohne schrecklichen Kater." Auch die Sun sah nach der Schlussfeier für London nur eine Möglichkeit: "Wir müssen es auf unsere Weise tun."

Eigenwillig wirkte die inszenierte Fröhlichkeit der Chinesen. Sie verzauberte trotz spektakulärer Feuerwerke und artistischer Glanzleistungen nicht wie die Eröffnung, viele Athleten verließen schon weit vor dem Ende das Stadion. Chinesische Zeitungen sahen dies freilich anders. "Überbiete das! Die Spiele von Peking endeten so spektakulär wie sie begonnen haben", titelte das staatlich kontrollierte China Daily.

Blätter auf der ganzen Welt stimmten in die Lobeshymne ein. Der Schweizer Blick schrieb, China habe zum Abschluss der Olympischen Spiele noch einmal sein Leistungsvermögen demonstriert und Die Presse aus Österreich titelte: "Die gigantische Sensations-Show. Die Sommerspiele 2008 übertrafen alles, was Organisation, Ablauf und Präzision betrifft."

It was good to see jimmy page participate in that closing ceremony. my complaint was the sound, wonder how the sound was like there in that stadium? because the satellite/tape delay had major problems....whether that was because it was a performance type thing, or jet lag from the transmission of the broadcast?? i dont know.

page-lew-cp-5389949.jpg

It was great!! I enjoyed it very much! Leona looked amazing and she has such a beautiful voice.

And Jimmy, well no words can express enough his class, charisma and stamina.

Since the 02 Arena concert all through the Foos' performance to last night presence, he looks to me like he's getting younger and younger. He's living a second youth... :D

Great to see him enjoying it. Keep on rockin', Jimmyyyyyy! Muah love0017.gif

Yes its a real pisser that thats what are fellow countryman do :(, again and I will keep saying I liked the whole eight min Brit segmant ! When I think of New York I think yellow taxi, London its the black cab and Red Bus. They were slagging it off on radio 5 last night but people couldn't come up with anything better in its place !!

Did they want Maggie Thatcher pushed out in a wheel chair ?? Captain Sensible ? Gareth Barry (although he is in my fantasy footy tem :) ), I guess probably not so Beckham whatever you think of him is well known around the world, leona is the hottest property on the music front in UK at the mo (whatever you think of her music) and Jimmy Page is an icon and comes from one of the most influential bands of all time !! Football and music is what we are famous for so I thought it was a good choice !!

Right thats my rant over...or is it, I now here that Scotland, Wales and parts of England (Northern Isles not so far ) are unhappy that its in london...WTF ?? its London so its going to be centred around a London theme, I live on the South coast so I could say it has nothing to do with me, but it does as its in the capitol of the UK so good luck to them !!!

hey leddy, I had it taped but was driving when it came on and Alan Green of 5 live sport ( who had been paid to travel to commentate on the Olympics) was asked what he thought of the hand over and he said he'd missed it cos he was busy watching wigan vs chelsea on the TV. What a twat!! What a waste of money sending him :angry:

But who's doing all the bashing?! I thought it was great and as far as these kinds of ceremonies go, did London proud! And you all deserve a big celebration for the amazing job Team GB did this Olympics--4th in the overall standings after China, USA, and Russia is incredible.

The BBC comment page that I posted a while back.

Link

Unfortunately just about every Briton on it said they were either embarrassed or ashamed for the whole handover. I, for one, am not.

Amen. It seems like some people are never happy :(

I wonder how many of those, that complained about Beckham, Lewis or Page, have willed Beckham on with England or Man U, watched X- Factor with Leona or wanted O2 concert tickets for Led Zeppelin?

Archived