Jimmy Page to perform at closing ceremony of Beijing Olympics

widget

Its true Page was overshadowed here by Leona and Beckham but thats because they are part of todays celeb culture. People still enjoyed seeing him there though especially the UK Zep fans.

London does not deserve Page?? Clapton and beck too then

He was? He was all I saw and cared about. I loved seeing him, his outfit, his adorable ponytail, everything...

I just found his interview after the performance. It's the whole thing, but the interviews are at the end. He's so adorable, even at 64!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=JO--Wl4Z7MM

He was? He was all I saw and cared about. I loved seeing him, his outfit, his adorable ponytail, everything...

Yeah, I thought he was great. That whole segment was a lot better then I thought it would be.

New York Magazine wasn't quite so forgiving.

I hated Page and Led Zeppelin even when I was of an age to enjoy children's music, but it seemed to go off all right. The Chinese are very keen on noise'.

What did he tell his editor? "Oh, let me have it! I've hated Led Zeppelin since I was a child!"

Nothing beats "objective" journalism. :rolleyes:

"David Beckham will star at the Olympics closing ceremony in Beijing

as the handover to London 2012 gets under way.

The spectacular event on August 24 will also see Led Zeppelin's Jimmy

Page performing a duet with pop star Leona Lewis.

And an incredible finale will feature Becks, 33, arriving on top of

one of London's iconic red double-decker buses - before he kicks a

football into the crowd to celebrate.

Hundreds of dancers from the UK will then perform ballet and

break-dancing routines as the countdown to 2012 begins.

"Having a rock god like Jimmy Page and a singer like Leona Lewis

performing together for the first time will certainly be something to

remember."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2...15875-20696807/

Meg

How's it going "Meg Ireland?" How's it going in Sydney, Australia? I sure love those Kangaroos! As I stressed in one of my previous comments, who would have ever believed that Pagey would close the Olympic games in Beijing? I am glad that I recorded the Leona Lewis / Jimmy page segment from disbelief that way I can see it over and over again years later up to the London games in 2012. ROCK ON!

I just found his interview after the performance. It's the whole thing, but the interviews are at the end. He's so adorable, even at 64!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=JO--Wl4Z7MM

Fantastic footage, thanks for that. You get to see more of the details of the performance, plus I liked the sweet kiss between Leona & Jimmy at the end. Ruxaga is an Indian network, I take it?

That blog entry by Ross Halfin (thanks, Allison!) shows the Chinese gov. claim that Jimmy Page wasn't famous enough to be in the show is bollocks, "Everywhere Jimmy went the locals recognised him, old people, young people, children, all coming up wanting to shake his hand and have a photo. We got lost one day coming out of a market and ended up down some narrow alleyways where the locals lived. He was followed like the Pied Piper, with people being super cool. "

Bullshit.

Don't worry knebby. This 'euro' poster is the same tool who claims Deep Purple were as big as Led Zeppelin on the continent. He seems to think LZ were never much of a big deal in England or the continent.

BTW what a lot of people probably don't get is that "Whole Lotta Love" is a hugely well-known riff here in the UK even to people who don' know Zeppelin. It was the theme tune for our biggest TV music show "Top of The Pops" (which attracted massive audiences and was an institution) for the majority of its 30+ year run (little forrays into things like Lynotts "Yellow Pearl" notwithstanding) and was in the top 10 in two versions OTHER THAN Zeppelin's (Alexis Korner's CCS and Blonde on Blonde). Its a completely unsurprising choice.

Exactly. It's one of the most famous riffs of all time in England. These ignorant foreigners, huh? :rolleyes:

I was working Sunday but able to listen to the proceedings via BBC Radio 5 Live, which is a predominantly news and sport channel. You could tell the presenters (respected sports people like John Inverdale etc) were far more excited about Jimmy's prescence than anyone else's, including Beckham. Led Zeppelin are a cool name to drop these days and I honestly believe that Jimmy Page, possibly due to his recent higher profile, is becoming in the eyes of the nation, a national treasure.

I agree with you. Outside the kiddie press I would say Jimmy got as much, if not more, recognition than Leona.

I do think Beckham possibly overshadowed them both (slightly) but no way did Leona overshadow Jimmy in general. And in fact, with most of the message boards I have been to and with most of the people I have spoken to the consensus in my experience was a more respectful and appreciative feeling towards Jimmy than the other two. Sure, you get the odd punk fan idiot like that twat from the Times or John Gaunt but they are few and far between. LZ will always have the same jealous detractors. They just can't stand the fact that Zep are sill so omnipresent, still so influential and still so cool while their own favourite silly little punk and hard rock bands have long since been consigned to the archives and long since been forgotten.

It was interesting. I hope Ross posts some more pictures.

He did. Click on the the link AllisonAdler provided.

Jimmy looked great. They all did! I can do w/o the caustic, bitter, mean spirited arrogant personality displays but I will say Ross does his job very well. :)

What did he tell his editor? "Oh, let me have it! I've hated Led Zeppelin since I was a child!"

Yes, would have been nice if they'd assigned someone with decent taste. ;)

Thanks to those who posted the clip with the post-performance interview at the end (that was a treat!) and the link to Ross Halfin's site -- good read, and Jimmy looks great as always. :):D

Don't worry knebby. This 'euro' poster is the same tool who claims Deep Purple were as big as Led Zeppelin on the continent. He seems to think LZ were never much of a big deal in England or the continent.

Exactly. It's one of the most famous riffs of all time in England. These ignorant foreigners, huh? :rolleyes:

I was speaking about Germany! Do you know how Deep Purple charted in Germany? Dont distort what I said

And yes Led Zeppelin were never as big as Pink FLoyd and Queen in Europe. Just look at chart histories across major european markets -it is self -evident.

Dont waste your vindictiveness on me-there are alot more things to get angered about in this world than what I or anyone else posts on this site

You know, I tried to be 'objective' about his article. He must be fairly accomplished to write for the paper he does. I dare say he's respected in certain writing circles. Every writer wants to be 'cutting edge' and appeal to the wider audience. To reach a level of intellect that wouldn't have been touched otherwise.

So, I came to the only 'objective' conclusion I could about this article.

He's probably got a really small willy.

Someone asked earlier on the forum who the violinist and cellist were on top of the bus. They were violinist Elspeth Hanson and the cellist Kwesi Edman. Both are from the Royal Academy of Music in London.

Meg

You know, I tried to be 'objective' about his article. He must be fairly accomplished to write for the paper he does. I dare say he's respected in certain writing circles. Every writer wants to be 'cutting edge' and appeal to the wider audience. To reach a level of intellect that wouldn't have been touched otherwise.

:hysterical:

:lol:

*slain*

Also from Ross's diary--

The only real disappointment was a Harpers Bazaar party which had Gong Li, Maggie Cheung and Zhang Ziyi - and we couldn't get an invite. I even considered standing outside, just to ogle...

Somehow hard to imagine Jimmy Page not being able to get an invite to something . . . Especially something involving beautiful women. (Perhaps they just didn't want to let RH in.)

Archived