Jimmy Page to perform at closing ceremony of Beijing Olympics

widget

Also from Ross's diary--

The only real disappointment was a Harpers Bazaar party which had Gong Li, Maggie Cheung and Zhang Ziyi - and we couldn't get an invite. I even considered standing outside, just to ogle...

Somehow hard to imagine Jimmy Page not being able to get an invite to something . . . Especially something involving beautiful women. (Perhaps they just didn't want to let RH in.)

I find that surprising as well.

This part made me chuckle:

"The Grand Hotel (where we are booked in) is something out of the comnunist era, dark, tacky and shabby. This is listed in the Leading Hotels of The World Book! It is also deserted, no one here except a few Olympic people with more security than a prison camp. Huge signs greet you as you come past police swat vans and wire fences. They say you cannot bring heroin, cocaine or amphetamines into the hotel (yes, I can just see someone running the 400 metres after a few lines). You get stopped outside the hotel and if you step across the fence you have to go through more security. It makes airport security look like a child's play.

You walk the streets and there are no Chinese, it's like Christmas Day, the streets are empty. You have to walk half a mile, cross more security and barricades, to see any locals. It is really is like being in a Gulag. Jimmy told me he hasn't stayed at a hotel this bad since the first Led Zeppelin tour of Denmark, when his room was a broom closet.

After a couple of days of this and being searched every ten minutes Jimmy puts his foot down and we're moved to The Grand Hyatt which is much more like it - you can even see Chinese people."[/i]

JIMMY PAGE Defends Olympics Performance

World Entertainment News Network reports that LED ZEPPELIN guitarist Jimmy Page has defended his recent performance at the Beijing Olympics with Leona Lewis — insisting he can't understand why their act received such negative reviews.

Page teamed up with Lewis for a one-off rendition of the ZEPPELIN classic "Whole Lotta Love" at the closing ceremony of the games last month.

But the duet was poorly received, with many critics branding it the low point of the 2008 event.

And Page is baffled by the poor feedback — because he thought the collaboration went well.

He says, "We got so much criticism and I really don't know why. I think we did a great job — it was an honor to be there. People just need to be less cynical. You know we went out there, we only had ten minutes — what did people expect?"

Whine, whingeing and song.. what we do best

The London Olympics can top Beijing by focusing on what we do better than anyone else in the world - and I don't mean whining.

And boy, can we whine.

Tv viewers whined about David Beckham. They whined about Leona Lewis. They whined about Boris Johnson. And they even whined about Jimmy Page.

But when I heard those opening chords to Whole Lotta Love I knew we could top the incredible spectacle of Beijing.

Because China might have 1.3billion people, but they don't have Led Zeppelin. Nobody does.

I can see it now - three Mini Coopers in Italian Job red, white and blue, with Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton and Keith Richards on the roofs, slashing out riffs that will echo around the world.

They could not do that in China. They could not even do that in America. What would be the American equivalent to Whole Lotta Love? A medley of Britney Spears songs?

The British put themselves down endlessly. Our love of irony and healthy scepticism too often drifts into cynical self-loathing.

I watched the sweat pouring from Jimmy Page's face - a long black coat is never a great idea on a hot Asian night, Jim - and I knew that we could do this thing, and do it brilliantly.

And what's wrong with David Beckham anyway? And what's wrong with Leona Lewis? They are both global superstars. They are wonderful ambassadors for this country.

Leona has conquered America in a way that generations of British bands could only dream about.

And Beckham's face is known and lusted after in every corner of the globe. Even Boris Johnson was a good advertisement for London and the quirky individualism that will see us through.

How many politicians look as funny as that? Or would you have preferred Ken Livingstone frowning importantly?

The Beijing Olympics worked because the Chinese played to their strengths.

A democracy will never be able to compete with a oneparty state that has limitless manpower and a limitless budget. But nobody in the world can compete with the British when it comes to individual creativity.

London 2012 must be an event for the nation, not just the capital.

Our Olympics must benefit a generation, and not just a city.

And it can be a triumph if we just stop whining.

Beijing 2008 was about China embracing the world. London 2012 should be about the British learning to embrace themselves, and appreciate what is so special about this crowded little island. And to stop snidely sneering at everything under the sun. That's really all we need.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2...15875-20716813/

Meg

The London Olympics can top Beijing by focusing on what we do better than anyone else in the world - and I don't mean whining.

And boy, can we whine.

Tv viewers whined about David Beckham. They whined about Leona Lewis. They whined about Boris Johnson. And they even whined about Jimmy Page.

But when I heard those opening chords to Whole Lotta Love I knew we could top the incredible spectacle of Beijing.

Because China might have 1.3billion people, but they don't have Led Zeppelin. Nobody does.

I can see it now - three Mini Coopers in Italian Job red, white and blue, with Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton and Keith Richards on the roofs, slashing out riffs that will echo around the world.

They could not do that in China. They could not even do that in America. What would be the American equivalent to Whole Lotta Love? A medley of Britney Spears songs?

The British put themselves down endlessly. Our love of irony and healthy scepticism too often drifts into cynical self-loathing.

I watched the sweat pouring from Jimmy Page's face - a long black coat is never a great idea on a hot Asian night, Jim - and I knew that we could do this thing, and do it brilliantly.

And what's wrong with David Beckham anyway? And what's wrong with Leona Lewis? They are both global superstars. They are wonderful ambassadors for this country.

Leona has conquered America in a way that generations of British bands could only dream about.

And Beckham's face is known and lusted after in every corner of the globe. Even Boris Johnson was a good advertisement for London and the quirky individualism that will see us through.

How many politicians look as funny as that? Or would you have preferred Ken Livingstone frowning importantly?

A democracy will never be able to compete with a oneparty state that has limitless manpower and a limitless budget. But nobody in the world can compete with the British when it comes to individual creativity.

Beijing 2008 was about China embracing the world. London 2012 should be about the British learning to embrace themselves, and appreciate what is so special about this crowded little island. And to stop snidely sneering at everything under the sun. That's really all we need.

Meg

tony parsons...excellent writer.

And boy, can we whine.

Meg

The statement about Leona conquering America...frankly, we've never heard of her....

Not true. She has had a couple of top ten songs/videos here and is pretty widely known. I've had her cd for a while now.

Still havent heard of her..no one I know ever had either...sorry but a top 10 cd doesnt mean squat and is usually shit music, no offense..she did sound good though...videos? they still make those? :) Isnt that for the lil kids?

Still havent heard of her..no one I know ever had either...sorry but a top 10 cd doesnt mean squat and is usually shit music, no offense..she did sound good though...videos? they still make those? :) Isnt that for the lil kids?

What it means, is that people have heard of her--whether they're people you know or not.

What it means, is that people have heard of her--whether they're people you know or not.

Top 10 cd means its been pushed by the media and and payola..shits been going on for years..sorry if Im touching a nerve with the Leona fans, no offense...Since you are all Zep fans I would hope that you understand the top 10 is shit, hence why zep didnt play the singles game.....Ive heard of Brittany Spears, but lets be frank, how many people do you know actually own that crap? I only know of her because of media hype.....So, is Leona known in the US? No..unless your a pop culture fan and stay at home watching MTV and read the latest gossip rags...amongst musicians and real music fans? She is a complete unknown

Edited by mad dog

Top 10 cd means its been pushed by the media and and payola..shits been going on for years..sorry if Im touching a nerve with the Leona fans, no offense...Since you are all Zep fans I would hope that you understand the top 10 is shit, hence why zep didnt play the singles game.....Ive heard of Brittany Spears, but lets be frank, how many people do you know actually own that crap? I only know of her because of media hype.....So, is Leona known in the US? No..unless your a pop culture fan and stay at home watching MTV and read the latest gossip rags...amongst musicians and real music fans? She is a complete unknown

I don't love all top ten but I don't dismiss something because it happens to be popular. It's just about what moves me. I don't like Britney but clearly millions do. It's not about whether people you know like them but the fact they are well known. Some of my friends really don't know much about Zep. Tis what it is really. Just because you and your friends don't know Leona I dont' know how you can make a sweeping generalisation that no one does. And for the record, she's not in the gossip mags.

By the way, I'm not trying to convince you or anyone to like Leona Lewis, I'm just talking about the fact she is quite known in the states. And I like her - does that make me not a real music fan?

The quality of the top ten is immaterial, and we're not talking about singles.

Nevertheless, like it or not, the fact that she sells that many CDs means that many people have heard of her.

And many of them, like it or not, are "real music fans" (I see you get to decide what that is. I'm not sure how you know her CD isn't real music, if you've never heard it because you've never heard of her).

Jimmy Page, for example.

I don't love all top ten but I don't dismiss something because it happens to be popular. It's just about what moves me. I don't like Britney but clearly millions do. It's not about whether people you know like them but the fact they are well known. Some of my friends really don't know much about Zep. Tis what it is really. Just because you and your friends don't know Leona I dont' know how you can make a sweeping generalisation that no one does. And for the record, she's not in the gossip mags.

By the way, I'm not trying to convince you or anyone to like Leona Lewis, I'm just talking about the fact she is quite known in the states. And I like her - does that make me not a real music fan?

God bless...I dont dismiss anything either because it is popular. Sorry, but I stand by my comments that she is an unkown, no big deal...why are we even talking about this?? Your taking way to much offense here. chill...thats all I will say on the matter.....Im gonna listen to some zep, how bout you?

God bless...I dont dismiss anything either because it is popular. Sorry, but I stand by my comments that she is an unkown, no big deal...why are we even talking about this?? Your taking way to much offense here. chill...thats all I will say on the matter.....Im gonna listen to some zep, how bout you?

I think you'll find nobody is taking any offence, we thought we were having a discussion. :huh:

I think you'll find nobody is taking any offence, we thought we were having a discussion. :huh:

Its all good..I guess I started something I really dont have much passion for.....now, how bout some No Quarter from 75? That is much more interesting!

I'm quite chilled and not taking any offense at all - I'm just sharing my thoughts as you were. We can agree to disagree :beer:

I'm quite chilled and not taking any offense at all - I'm just sharing my thoughts as you were. We can agree to disagree :beer:

ok, I will drink some beer....:) ummm...where do I get the beer drinking icon?

Edited by mad dog