Jimmy Page to perform at closing ceremony of Beijing Olympics

widget

From "The Ritual of the Pentagram" from the Order of the Golden Dawn:

The Pentagram Ritual has a variety of uses, though no matter which reason you're doing it for, the others automatically come into activity to a lesser or greater degree. The most often mentioned use of the Pentagram Ritual is for protection.

In the case of using the Pentagram ritual for protection, it must be renewed regularly at the change of suntide--at sunrise and sunset--to maintain its effectiveness.

For trance work of any type, the Pentagram ritual is all important, as it "alone suffices to secure adequate protection and eliminates all possibility of demonic possession."

Of this use of the Pentagram ritual the Golden Dawn had this to say: "Whenever thou shalt prepare to commence any magical work or operation, it will be advisable for thee to clear and consecrate the place by performing the...Ritual of the Pentagram." And: "Before all things, complete the Circle of the place wherein thou workest, seeing that it is the key of the rest."

Of this Aleister Crowley said: "The first task of the Magician in every ceremony is therefore to render his Circle absolutely impregnable," for "if the insulation is imperfect, the whole current goes back to earth."

When tracing the Pentagram, the magician should endeavor to mentally 'see' a line of radiant light, so that when the movement is complete, there glows in the air before the magician a Pentagram of glowing light. The figure should be about three feet high, and it should be a well-proportioned Pentagram, not a deformed or eccentric one. In all cases of tracing a Pentagram, the angle should be carefully closed at the finishing point

Those who dont understand the occult history and nature of the Olympic games will never understand the point being made here. The games are all about enacting ancient Zeus worship, hoping to gain favour from the gods.

Jimmy Page, Magician, Performing Soon in The Land of the Chinese Dragon!

1998_02_25002SteveAJones.jpg

Photo Credit: Steve A. Jones

From "The Ritual of the Pentagram" from the Order of the Golden Dawn:

The Pentagram Ritual has a variety of uses, though no matter which reason you're doing it for, the others automatically come into activity to a lesser or greater degree. The most often mentioned use of the Pentagram Ritual is for protection.

In the case of using the Pentagram ritual for protection, it must be renewed regularly at the change of suntide--at sunrise and sunset--to maintain its effectiveness.

For trance work of any type, the Pentagram ritual is all important, as it "alone suffices to secure adequate protection and eliminates all possibility of demonic possession."

Of this use of the Pentagram ritual the Golden Dawn had this to say: "Whenever thou shalt prepare to commence any magical work or operation, it will be advisable for thee to clear and consecrate the place by performing the...Ritual of the Pentagram." And: "Before all things, complete the Circle of the place wherein thou workest, seeing that it is the key of the rest."

Of this Aleister Crowley said: "The first task of the Magician in every ceremony is therefore to render his Circle absolutely impregnable," for "if the insulation is imperfect, the whole current goes back to earth."

When tracing the Pentagram, the magician should endeavor to mentally 'see' a line of radiant light, so that when the movement is complete, there glows in the air before the magician a Pentagram of glowing light. The figure should be about three feet high, and it should be a well-proportioned Pentagram, not a deformed or eccentric one. In all cases of tracing a Pentagram, the angle should be carefully closed at the finishing point

Those who dont understand the occult history and nature of the Olympic games will never understand the point being made here. The games are all about enacting ancient Zeus worship, hoping to gain favour from the gods.

1998_02_25002SteveAJones.jpg

Photo Credit: Steve A. Jones

This is actually pretty interesting!

I would like to read more about this.. any links?

thx ;)

That was relevant thousands of years ago.

However, since the inception of the "modern" games in 1896, it is all about the youth of the world assembling to compete for their countries and themselves.

The only "magical" link between the old and the new is the lighting of the flame at Mt Olympus.

Smoke and mirrors indeed! :o

Zeus or Jupiter have nothing at all to do with them, today.

"Citius, Altius, Fortius." - "Swifter, Higher, Stronger."

BTW thanks for the Geometry heads up. ;)

That was relevant thousands of years ago.

However, since the inception of the "modern" games in 1896, it is all about the youth of the world assembling to compete for their countries and themselves.

The only "magical" link between the old and the new is the lighting of the flame at Mt Olympus.

Smoke and mirrors indeed! :o

Zeus or Jupiter have nothing at all to do with them, today.

"Citius, Altius, Fortius." - "Swifter, Higher, Stronger."

BTW thanks for the Geometry heads up. ;)

Not nitpicking but they light the flame at Olympia not Mt Olympus. :)

Meg

Given previous Olympic changeover ceremonies, I have serious doubts they will use the alloted 8 minutes for either a Led Zeppelin or Leona Lewis song. Both Page and Lewis are there to promote the London games. When Athens won the 2004 Olympics, Vangelis appeared in the closing ceremony of the Sydney 2000 games to perform a song that was written especially for the 2004 games and approved of by their Olympic committee. The London 2012 games already has a promotional song called "Believe". They maybe asked to perform that as it would tie in with their existing promotional games campaign with David Beckham.

Not nitpicking but they light the flame at Olympia not Mt Olympus. :)

Meg

I stand corrected. :o

Olympia, Mt. Olympus same difference.

The point is, that ritual is the only link between the ancient and modern Olympic games.

Thelemic banishing ritual. Cleansing of all spirits, positive and negative.

My god is above me

My god is below me

My god is to the right of me

My god is to the left of me

My god is within me

There is no god where I am

Niut

Babalon

Hadit

Bow as wand? You decide. :beer:

Thelemic banishing ritual. Cleansing of all spirits, positive and negative.

My god is above me

My god is below me

My god is to the right of me

My god is to the left of me

My god is within me

There is no god where I am

Niut

Babalon

Hadit

Bow as wand? You decide. :beer:

forgive my naivety, but does this all tie in with jimmys bow? the way he points it to all corners, i see him as kinda blessing the surroundings?

forgive my naivety, but does this all tie in with jimmys bow? the way he points it to all corners, i see him as kinda blessing the surroundings?

Precisely! He points his bow to the four corners, then to the heavens. Considering how insane crowds could be in those days, it would make sense to refocus them. Conversely, maybe he just wanted them focused on him! :lol:

Of course this is all supposition, however having read Thelemic texts, I find it plausible (if not certain). He's made no secret of practicing ritual. I have friends who've witnessed him doing it. Magick was always a part of it. It would be naive to think what he employed these systems in his personal life, but didn't bring to the stage. Symbology and ritual. I just hate when people bring "Satan" into it. Or "Witchcraft". Or "Black" magic. These are the ones who take Crowley's reputation and confuse it with the Thelemic belief system.

Precisely! He points his bow to the four corners, then to the heavens. Considering how insane crowds could be in those days, it would make sense to refocus them. Conversely, maybe he just wanted them focused on him! :lol:

Of course this is all supposition, however having read Thelemic texts, I find it plausible (if not certain). He's made no secret of practicing ritual. I have friends who've witnessed him doing it. Magick was always a part of it. It would be naive to think what he employed these systems in his personal life, but didn't bring to the stage. Symbology and ritual. I just hate when people bring "Satan" into it. Or "Witchcraft". Or "Black" magic. These are the ones who take Crowley's reputation and confuse it with the Thelemic belief system.

yes, that is what ive always felt he was doing, as he always points to the four corners. ive always felt it as good, not evil. i get so angry when people confuse things like that. jimmy could never be evil.

Back to topic......

What do you think he SHOULD play, if in fact he does?

Thanks Reg. Assuming he doesn't play a duet with Leona, I'd personally like to see a preview of what he's been working on. A taste you know?

perhaps he will have to play something that has been purpose written, as meg said. a song that is about the games.

I don't wish to see people worked up into believing he's going to do some Led Zeppelin song, when there is a very good chance he will be asked to perform some other composers song for the ceremony. Also given the lip-synching we saw in the opening ceremony, there is also the possibility the performance may be mimed. For us Australians who do remember the Sydney Olympics, there was some disappointment to see that Midnight Oil and other rock bands had mimed their entire performance at the closing ceremony. The excuse given at the time was that as they were working on a tight satellite television schedule they couldn't afford any technical slip-ups with a "live" feed.

Meg

yeah, i dont think they would want him to play anything new that noeone would know.

Yeah, WLL at the NYSE. I just want a taste! :lol:

Wishful thinking I know. I too doubt they'd schedule Jimmy Page and not expect something Led Zeppelin related (assuming he's not duetting with Leona). But a guy can have a dream right? :D

*edited to acknowledge Meg's post* Yeah, could be. :beer:

Archived