Jimmy Page to perform at closing ceremony of Beijing Olympics

widget

They keep using the word duetting in the official press releases, which strongly implies a singing performance. The Telegraph article even said so: "Lewis, 23, is said to be singing a duet with Led Zeppelin's Jimmy Page for the event, which will be screened live to a television audience of as many as 150 million people."

So apparently Jimmy will leave his guitar at home, and revive his long-stalled singing career after a 43-year fallow period. Fantastic! We can look forward to a few bars of "She Just Satisfies" followed by ... dunno, "Rule Britannia"? It has to be something to promote Britain - lord knows a bus full of break dancers isn't quite gonna set the right tone.

Ditto on the double decker bit.

Wait. Now it's a duet with Jimmy, as in a singing duet?? Will this madness never end???

I think it's great news that the wonderful Leona Lewis has been chosen to represent UK in the Olympic closing ceremony. Now I know who David Beckham is but I am buggered if I know which team she plays for. I think it may be Arse nal.

I have, however, heard of Johnny Page and he is a wonderful pianist - so it should be a joy to watch.

But would it not be more appropriate for that old skiffle combo Led Zeppelin to play? If Mr Plant is worried about paying for an airline ticket we could have a collection. I believe he is currently unemployed so he would have the time. Mr Page appears to be going to Beejing anyway. That leaves Mr Jones and Mr Bonham. I am sure that Mr Page could invite Mr Jones along. I feel pretty sure that Mr Bonham would run/swim there just to get behind those drums again.

So has anyone asked them to play? Perhaps if no-one has asked they should ask pretty soon or it will be too late to book the flights.

I think we may not just see Mr Page there - just a hunch!

Think about it. If Zep are down to play would we be told in advance? Million more people descending on Beejing to see it? They could not cope. This one is worth a small wager.

So has anyone asked them to play? Perhaps if no-one has asked they should ask pretty soon or it will be too late to book the flights.

I think we may not just see Mr Page there - just a hunch!

Think about it. If Zep are down to play would we be told in advance? Million more people descending on Beejing to see it? They could not cope. This one is worth a small wager.

So, have you seen the new (fake) pictures of big foot yet? Yeah. :rolleyes:

You're the lucky one! We're 12 hours behind Beijing on the East Coast USA. I'll have to wait up until 11pm tonight to watch Michael Phelps go for his 8th gold.

They create this unique schedule with heats in the evening session and finals in the morning the fit with USA (the most imprtant country in the world :whistling: ) prime-time viewing and still you complain. Sheesh ;)

Can't wait for next Sunday night ;D

They create this unique schedule with heats in the evening session and finals in the morning the fit with USA (the most imprtant country in the world :whistling: ) prime-time viewing and still you complain. Sheesh ;)

:lol::lol: hard to keep everybody completey happy...

I don't wish to see people worked up into believing he's going to do some Led Zeppelin song, when there is a very good chance he will be asked to perform some other composers song for the ceremony. Also given the lip-synching we saw in the opening ceremony, there is also the possibility the performance may be mimed. For us Australians who do remember the Sydney Olympics, there was some disappointment to see that Midnight Oil and other rock bands had mimed their entire performance at the closing ceremony. The excuse given at the time was that as they were working on a tight satellite television schedule they couldn't afford any technical slip-ups with a "live" feed.

Meg

What you're saying may come closer to the truth than any would perfer to choose to believe.

Here we go again with all the negativity from all the pessimists in full flight.

Once again a fun discussion is hijacked and ruined by a mob of naysayers and people who loathe to be scooped by anyone else, they know who they are!

Some would have you believe that it is complete bullshit whether they have researched the thread or not.

Others (myself included), have been speculating what he may or may not play if in fact, it is true.

Who really cares what he plays just as long as he is performing, live, somewhere with whomever he likes?

Then there are those who death ride the idea by insinuating that the performance could be mimed, as if.

I wonder if they are questioning Jimmy's integrity?

The worst are they who thrive on disrespecting the band with their intolerable and unrelenting criticism.

If it did turn out to be a non event, the usual pricks would probably blame Robert for it.

BTW there are no sharks in downtown Beijing as far as I know!

End of rant......

Meanwhile, back at the topic........

Leona Lewis is not an American Idol singer. She's British -that's the whole point.

She won X - Factor in the UK almost 2 years ago - which replaces "Pop Idol" over here, Simon Cowell's original show on which American Idol is based.

Whatever It Takes

Da, da, da, da, da, da

Da, da, da, da, da, da, da [ x2 ]

People say love

Comes and goes, but

They don't understand

What they don't know

Cause, what I feel starts

Deep inside

It's planted like a seed

That springs into life

They say it's not right