History of Jimmy's #1 Les Paul w/Joe Walsh

On 2/25/2018 at 10:27 PM, drowan said:

Some more background on the Joe Walsh sale of the guitar to Jimmy:

Page got his ’59 from Joe Walsh (James Gang; later Eagles) in April of 1969, and it very soon took the place of the Fender Telecaster which he was using at that time. Walsh did an interview with Guitar World magazine in which he shared the story about the exchange:

Jimmy was still playing the Telecasters that he played in the Yardbirds. He was looking for a Les Paul and asked if I knew of any, ’cause he couldn’t find one that he liked. And I had two. So I kept the one I liked the most and I flew with the other one. I laid it on him and said, ‘Try this out. He really liked it, so I gave him a really good deal, about 1,200 bucks. I had to hand-carry it; I flew there and everything. So whatever my expenses were, that’s what I charged him. But again, I just thought he should have a Les Paul for godsakes! – Read full interview on Guitar World

This guitar had a few modification done to it before it got into Page’s hands. The back of the neck was sanded down and shaved, making it very thin and easier to play  – which was the thing that Page really liked about this guitar. After Page got to play the guitar for couple of gigs, he decided to swap the original Kluson tuners with gold-plated Grovers – since he was already familiar with them from his Les Paul Custom.

The electronics were modified as well. Pickups were changed numerous times. Firstly, the guitar had Seth Lover PAF pickups, but after a tour of Australia in 1972 the bridge pickup malfunctioned, and was promptly replaced with a chrome T-Top humbucker which remained there for the duration of Led Zeppelin. The T-Top was eventually replaced with a custom wound Seymour Duncan humbucker sometime in the 90’s. The neck pickup remained the same until the 2000’s when it was replaced by a PAF humbucker from the 1960s.
Also, one of the original knobs was replaced with a push-pull knob, which enabled Jimmy to reverse the phase of the pickups.

Another interesting thing about this particular guitar is that it’s still unknown what year model the guitar is. Due to sanding of the neck, and the fact that none of the pickups are original, the serial number on the guitar is no longer present. But most people agree that this Les Paul is probably a late 1959, or early 1960.

A GuitarPlayer magazine article from March 22, 2017 said that Jimmy Page paid $500 for Joe Walsh's Les Paul, while Joe Walsh is quoted in a Guitar World magazine referenced above that he paid $1,200.  Who'e right?  Walsh is quoted as saying he hand delivered the guitar to Jimmy in April 1969 and charged Jimmy basically his travel costs associated with delivering the guitar to him personally.

On 3/3/2018 at 3:10 AM, drowan said:

A GuitarPlayer magazine article from March 22, 2017 said that Jimmy Page paid $500 for Joe Walsh's Les Paul, while Joe Walsh is quoted in a Guitar World magazine referenced above that he paid $1,200.  Who'e right?  Walsh is quoted as saying he hand delivered the guitar to Jimmy in April 1969 and charged Jimmy basically his travel costs associated with delivering the guitar to him personally.

It wouldn't surprise me if neither of them would be able to accurately recall how much was paid, but I'm guessing Walsh's number might be a bit off.

Accounting for inflation, Page's $500 would be worth $3,472 in today's dollars. Joe's figure of $1,200, on the other hand, would be akin to paying $8,333 in 2018!

Were the 59-60 models already demanding the kind of money that Joe remembers charging? If not, perhaps Page isn't the Led Wallet everyone claims him to be.

Archived