What Kind of Guitar For a Beginner?

Bring Them On Back

In the post below I asked how to convince my parents to let me get drums, I couldn't but they reluctantly said I could get a guitar. I don't know what kind to get, I'd like to have one that has similar sound to Hendrix/Clapton style. I've seen some Fenders at my school before and they look good, I went on the website and the Stratocaster seemed the best but I got the feeling that its more of a pro kind of guitar, most of them are 1000s of $, and I figured that they're cheapest one (US$600) would be poor quality. My parents haven't said how much they'll spend, but I'll go without stuff or something to try and get a good one, otherwise I'm guessing they won't spend more than $5-700 at most. And how much do stores increase the prices from the original price at the manufacturer? Are amps included in costs, or any other extras like carrying cases?

How serious are you and what's your budget? It's easier to advise when you know what be spent. Give me a number and I'll tell you what your best options are.

Markups can range from a reasonable profit to downright insane.

Let's start with a figure.

How serious are you and what's your budget? It's easier to advise when you know what be spent. Give me a number and I'll tell you what your best options are.

Markups can range from a reasonable profit to downright insane.

Let's start with a figure.

$500-600 (Australian dollars)

And I'm not going to replace it in a few years either.

$500-600 (Australian dollars)

And I'm not going to replace it in a few years either.

What's the rate of conversion to US? Also, can you give me links to local retailers in your area? Shipping would be an expensive from here. But if you have a site with a distributor in your area, I could point you in the right direction.

Reggie29 is in Blacktown NSW, he could help perhaps. Great guy!

What's the rate of conversion to US? Also, can you give me links to local retailers in your area? Shipping would be an expensive from here. But if you have a site with a distributor in your area, I could point you in the right direction.

Reggie29 is in Blacktown NSW, he could help perhaps. Great guy!

Aussie dollars getting close to US dollar (above 90c) and the main store in Perth (Mega Music) sells them for about 3 times the price of Fender's actual price ($1,799 Australian so probably about $1800 US)

http://www.megamusiconline.com.au/store/pr...ega2k5u5215eg50

• 4 weeks later...

I have the similar question, but with a twist...

IM FUCKING LEFT HANDED. :angry:

I haven't really looked around yet, but I'm serious about my quest.

I'm looking to spend $700 USD.

I've been leaning towards a Telecaster, but I've been told this is more of a country-western guitar (Page's dragon tele sure didn't sound like it, but he probably had pickups changed and this and that)

I really want the sonic ability of one Led Zeppelin guitarist, not some country-western. Is it all in the amps?

I want to get a mid-range guitar, because I'm worried that if I try to learn on crappy gear, I'll end up being dissapointed and buying better stuff anyways.

Anyone know if its hard to find a second hand, left handed, guitar?

Lots of questions, and I don't want to jack this guy's thread, so I'll leave it at this for now.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

I have the similar question, but with a twist...

IM FUCKING LEFT HANDED. :angry:

I haven't really looked around yet, but I'm serious about my quest.

I'm looking to spend $700 USD.

I've been leaning towards a Telecaster, but I've been told this is more of a country-western guitar (Page's dragon tele sure didn't sound like it, but he probably had pickups changed and this and that)

I really want the sonic ability of one Led Zeppelin guitarist, not some country-western. Is it all in the amps?

I want to get a mid-range guitar, because I'm worried that if I try to learn on crappy gear, I'll end up being dissapointed and buying better stuff anyways.

Anyone know if its hard to find a second hand, left handed, guitar?

Lots of questions, and I don't want to jack this guy's thread, so I'll leave it at this for now.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

I play left handed as well, most guitar stores will have a small selection of lefty guitars (you should be able to find a used one too).

Check out guitarcenter on-line, you can search used gear in different stores around the US. A good starter option would be a Mexican Telecaster ($400) and get a small VOX Valvetronix amp.

The amp is a digital modeling amp, there are quiet a few amp settings and effects, so it would a be good thing to mess around with to find the sound you're looking for.

Good luck

I'm Aussie, I can help you.

You could try a Squier guitar. They're a company owned by Fender which make less quality versions of the Fender guitars, so they can be sold cheaper. Less quality, doesn't mean bad quality, though, I've played a few Squiers, and they've been pretty good. Obviously not as good as Fender, but still quality guitars. They're pretty much meant to be played by beginners, anyway.

Get the best equipment you can afford.

Get into the local shops and play lots of guitars...you'll know which one you'll like the best for the cashish you have. I've been looking at (and playing), lots of Epiphones and have it narrowed down to two......for a living room guitar.

Get the best equipment you can afford.

Get into the local shops and play lots of guitars...you'll know which one you'll like the best for the cashish you have. I've been looking at (and playing), lots of Epiphones and have it narrowed down to two......for a living room guitar.

Theres a problem with going to a shop and just playing for me... because I've never played anything coherant on a guitar before... wouldn't want to look silly. I've been thinking about an epiphone too... my search for a lefty telecaster is coming up dry in my area.

• 4 weeks later...
I say screw the guitar and switch to bass! ok, soooo that may not be helping.

try to see if you can find some MIJ fenders or Tokai's or Orvilles, my tokai love rock even beats some Gibson custom shop models, and it was only $1000.... it rocks!

Imo if your goign for Mij fenders... id rather spend a litle more and get a mexican... just my 2 cents though i have one and love every minute of it.

• 4 months later...

Question:

I'm just learning guitar and I have a pretty shitty setup... I mean downright shitty. Guitar + starter amp for $150.00.

Would it be worth it to even get good strings or anything for this?

What I'm asking is, are there any cheap ways I can make this play/sound any more decent?

I'm just learning, so I don't want to go buy an amp or anything.... Any inputs?

Question:

I'm just learning guitar and I have a pretty shitty setup... I mean downright shitty. Guitar + starter amp for $150.00.

Would it be worth it to even get good strings or anything for this?

What I'm asking is, are there any cheap ways I can make this play/sound any more decent? I'm just learning, so I don't want to go buy an amp or anything.... Any inputs?

Factory strings on budget models are terrible Chinese steel that won't tune and sound like shit, decent strings will make a huge difference. The first thing I do when I buy a guitar, even a nice one, is yank the strings off and start fresh.

Factory strings on budget models are terrible Chinese steel that won't tune and sound like shit, decent strings will make a huge difference. The first thing I do when I buy a guitar, even a nice one, is yank the strings off and start fresh.

That's what I figured.

What should I get?

I know Page used Super Slinkies, but I've heard those need to be replaced pretty frequently.

That's what I figured.

What should I get?

I know Page used Super Slinkies, but I've heard those need to be replaced pretty frequently.

I wouldn't put much thought into which brand of string other than you should try to get as close to the same gauge as you have now to avoid needing to make other adjustments. Chances are the factory strings are 9's or 10's. I'd get something that's pure nickel and avoid strings with any coating on it, like the Elixir. I use pure nickel Slinky 9's on my Gibson's and pure nickel Fender strings on my Fender's.

The guitar is a lefty SX EG1K BK (replica Strat), and the starter amp is a GA1065.

Features dual-cutaway solid Alder body, three single coil pickups, one volume and two tone controls plus a five way pickup selector switch, die chrome tuners, vintage fulcrum bridge w/ six adjustable saddles, truss rod adjustable Maple neck, Rosewood fretboard w/ 21 jumbo frets.

It was "listed" as $300 (bullshit) and "sold" for $120 brand new, for guitar & mini starter amp.

The electronics probably suck, though the woods don't seem too bad?

Is it even worth putting money into? I really don't know shit about guitar components.

I'm already convinced I need to buy strings. If the guitar is "alright", I will consider buying a nicer amp because I know that's a big part of the sound... but really don't want to spend too much if the guitar itself is super shitty.

Archived