The Greatest of Football

wanna be drummer

I know theres always been a billion useless threads out there, but I'm very curious when it comes to peoples' views on greatest of anything and I want to see your dream team. I'll do offense first. You can do starters and backups or just starters, whatever.

All right, First String:

QB:Dan Marino

RB: Barry Sanders

FB: Jime Brown

WR: Jerry Rice

WR: Terrell Owens (Im not a fan, but hes a DAMN good player)

TE: Tony Gonzales

Thats it for offense, I'll do defense later, I got me some stats to look up

Actually I'll do back ups now

QB: Steve Young (he changed the way a QB could play the game and is the NFL's number one pass completion percentage leader)

RB: Walter Payton (Emmit was good, but I REFUSE to call him the greatest just because of his record. Barry and Walter couldve ran circles around him)

FB: Mike Alstott

WR: Torry Holt (6 seasons with at least 1300 yards consecutively)

WR: Randy Moss

TE: Atonio Gates

Yes i realize my bench is more modern, but these guys all belong in the Hall as soon as they retire

QB - Joe Montana

RB - Jim Brown

RB - Walter Payton

WR - Jerry Rice

WR - Art Monk (Lots of choices here, but I think Art was the best possession receiver ever.)

TE - Kellen Winslow

C - Ed Flanagan

G - Larry Allen

G - Joe DeLamielleure

OT - Anthony Munoz

OT - Art Shell

Too tired to do Defense, but I think Lester Hayes & Mike Haynes from the 1980 Raiders were the finest cornerback duo ever.

That was a good tandem, but don't forget about Willie and Skip in the years before. I was a DB and some of my favorites weren't the guys that are on many "Best" lists. I think Ronnie Lott is over rated (IMO), he got alot of press because of who he played for, don't get me wrong, he was a great Hall of Fame caliber guy, but his press is a little much. Lott couldn't hold a candle to Jack Tatum or Doug Plank, especially for hitting power...Ronnie was a "slammer" Jack and Doug were human missles. If Kenny Easley had lasted longer in the NFL, who knows what he could have accomplished, he was really the first "BIG" DB ...he set the standard for the SS we see today. Jake Scott was an all world FS for the Dolphins, good combo of smarts and mean, as was Gary Fencik and Cliff Harris. Mel Blount is hands down one of the best all time DB's. I always patterned my game after my football hero, Pat Fischer. Pat was a small DB, listed at 5'9 \ 170, he played for 17 years, he was a vicious, hitter and never backed down from anyone, Larry Csonka, Harold Charmichael, guys that were much, much bigger...he took them all on. I used to watch the way he'd tackle and cover bigger guys, watching Pat taught me more than any coach ever did. I had the pleasure of meeting Pat, he is a wonderful man, kind and very humble. He signed all my football cards, gave me an autographed pic and talked with me for at least an hour, what a sweet guy. Hard to find that kind of 'MAN' in the NFL today.

Picking a kicker is a tough chore. I think I'd have to go with Jan Stenerud or Mark Mosely. Fred Cox seemed like he kicked forever.

I'm 47, and except for a short period in the 70's, The Lions have only had 3 kickers my entire life. Errol Mann....Eddie Murray....and Jason Hanson. There's something really weird about that. :blink:

Punter....Ray Guy.

Pat20fischer20poster.jpgYou're the BEST Pat ! Your # 1 Fan !

Pat Fischer is a family friend.. from way back. :) I don't have personal recollections of meeting him, but my folks know him and his family real well. ..at least they did way back when. When I was real young my parents and the Fischer family adults were in the same circle of friends. A few years back I came across a Pat Fischer trading card and sent to my dad; he got a real kick out of it.

anyway..

To Pat!

..one hell of a cornerback! :beer:

Pat Fischer reminds me of another super hard hitting cornerback

that I've always admired.. Nolan Cromwell of the Rams! #21

cromwell.jpg

To Nolan! :beer:

Nolan is currently a Seahawks coach. B)

All time Liverpool F.C

Clemence (goalkeeper)

Neal, Lawler or Alan Kennedy (full backs).

Hansen, Lawrenson or Hughes (central defenders)

Souness, Gerrard, McDermott, Barnes (midfield)

Dalgish, Rush (forwards)

Bill Shankly (manager)

Subs:

Grobbelaar

Smith

Yeats

Phil Thompson

Ray Kennedy

Callaghan/Peter Thompson

Liddel/Hunt/Keegan/Fowler/Owen

Oh hell I can't choose the subs.

DEFENSIVE LINEMEN

DE Deacon Jones

DT Joe Greene

DT Bruce Smith

DE Reggie White

LINEBACKERS

OLB Lawrence Taylor

MLB Dick Butkus

ILB Ray Lewis

DEFENSIVE BACKS

CB Deion Sanders

SS Ronnie Lott

FS Ken Houston

CB Rod Woodson

QB - Montana, Brady

RB - Brown, Payton, Sanders

WR - Rice, Owens, Steve Smith

TE - Ditka, Winslow

Tackle - Munoz, Shell

Guard -Larry Allen, Munchak

Center - Webster, Hilgenberg

DT - Mean Joe Greene, Randy White

DE - Deacon Jones, Bruce Smith, Reggie White

OLB - Lawrence Taylor, & that guy that played for KC and died in car accident.

MLB - DICK BUTKUS (The best ever)

ILB - Singletary, Lambert

CB - Neon Deion

SS - Ronnie Lott

FS - Jack Tatum the assassin

CB - u pick it

Kicker - Morton Anderson

Punter - Ray Guy

Coach - Bill Walsh

• 3 years later...

Haven't seen that in years...lol

QB Joe Montana

RB Gale Sayers

FB Jim Brown

WR Jerry Rice

WR Michael Irvin

C Dermontti Dawson

G Jon Kolb

G Jerry Kramer

T Larry Little

T Jackie Slater

DE Deacon Jones

DE Reggie White

DT Randy White

DT Joe Green

OLB Jack Hamm

OLB Lawrence Taylor

MLB Dick Butkas

CB Mike Haynes

CB Dion Sanders

SS Ronnie Lott

FS Kenny Easley

Punter Ray Guy

Kicker Adam Vinatieri

Coach...Lombardi

I cannot say who is the best at their respective positions, however, I will say that, in my opinion, as far as running backs are concerned, Earl Campbell (Houston Oilers) and Marshall Faulk (St. Louis Rams) are my favorites of all-time.

Although Earl Campbell never played in a Super Bowl, I grew up watching him literally "bulldoze" through defensemen. Sometimes it would take 3 or 4 players to take him down and even then Earl would carry them a few extra yards until they finally tackled him. Amazing. Search Earl Campbell on YouTube to get an idea of what I mean.

As regards to Marshall Faulk, a very slick and acrobatic athlete. I would consider Marshall Faulk to be the "ultimate" team and utility player. Running back, Tight end, Blocker, Marshall was a Master of all. A very Humble and very Professional Athlete. He was one of the few players that did not bask in the limelight.

All time Liverpool F.C

Clemence (goalkeeper)

Neal, Lawler or Alan Kennedy (full backs).

Hansen, Lawrenson or Hughes (central defenders)

Souness, Gerrard, McDermott, Barnes (midfield)

Dalgish, Rush (forwards)

Bill Shankly (manager)

Subs:

Grobbelaar

Smith

Yeats

Phil Thompson

Ray Kennedy

Callaghan/Peter Thompson

Liddel/Hunt/Keegan/Fowler/Owen

Oh hell I can't choose the subs.

Banks

Alberto Moore Maldini

Best Zidane Beckenbauer Maradona Messi

Cryuff Pele

Subs : Van Basten, Platini, Iniesta

Picking a kicker is a tough chore. I think I'd have to go with Jan Stenerud or Mark Mosely. Fred Cox seemed like he kicked forever.

I'm 47, and except for a short period in the 70's, The Lions have only had 3 kickers my entire life. Errol Mann....Eddie Murray....and Jason Hanson. There's something really weird about that. :blink:

Punter....Ray Guy.

Kicker - George Blanda

Then he could be back up for the quarterback if he's having a bad day.

Archived