PORCUPINE TREE!

Jarlaxle 56

I just got into this great Progressive Rock band. I picked up their last album "Fear of A Blank Planet" (I highly recommend everyone do the same). Steven Wilson is a genius, this album that came out last year, features Alex Lifeson doing a guitar solo Steve wrote for him, as well as Robert Fripp doing soundscapes on another song.

Steven Wilson (guitarist/lead vocalist) also mixed and mastered the album *personally* and this has to be one of best sounding records that has come out in ages, I can't believe it was only nominated for a grammy in the 5.1 Surround Sound category (and didn't even win).

I'm really getting into their other material too, "Deadwing" sounds great from what I've heard so far.

Well, any other fans of this totally kickass band?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azBnvKL6JKE

Unfortunately you can't really find anything on youtube that even comes close to the sound quality of the full album...so, go and buy them!

Lately I've started listening to a lot of Spock's Beard. Porcupine Tree is next on my list. After reading your post, I'm a little more anxious. You figure "Fear of a Blank Planet is the best place to start?

Yeah, I think Deadwing is also really great. I hear In Absentia is also very nice, so you might check that out, but don't take my word on it.

Lately I've started listening to a lot of Spock's Beard. Porcupine Tree is next on my list. After reading your post, I'm a little more anxious. You figure "Fear of a Blank Planet is the best place to start?

Yeah, I think Deadwing is also really great. I hear In Absentia is also very nice, so you might check that out, but don't take my word on it.

Have you tried the Mars Volta? Similar flavor.

BTW: I do not find what I like about progressive music in any of these bands.

Archived