Things Zeppelin Invented.

Laughter

Honestly, I don't really think you're gonna get that long of a list when it comes to tech stuff. Zep is labeled as being the originators of many things but in reality they were either just the first popular ones to do it, or the first ones to make what they did popular.

Page was not the first to play guitar w/ a bow

They were not the first to use area micing techniques in the studio

They were not the first to use multiple guitar tracks in the studio

etc......

What they were first at was Page's use of the "guitar orchestra" as it has been nicknamed. It's his using the guitar like it were 1st,2nd,3rd,cello string sections in an orchestra. Single notes at a time played with different tone qualities layered on top of one another. Page claims his first time doing this was in the bridge section of Four Sticks.

But where Zep layed their real mark as firsts would be their business practices. Peter Grant pretty much changed the way bands,promoters,venue owners do business.

they invented heavy metal
:P The only label I'd give them is Rock and Roll. You could divide Zep's catelog into ten different genres and file them seperately in a record store. In the begining, I'd call it psychadelic blues, not Heavy Metal. And even if they did invent it, I would'nt readily admit it. :unsure:

The copist bands who came after them but failed miserably might have invented heavy metal but Zeppelin weren't, aren't, & never will be a heavy metal band

When we say Zeppelin didn't invent Metal, first we must recognise what Metal actually is. So what "is" Metal?

I don't think of them as a metal band but that dosent meen they can't invent it.

Well, it's not that they invented it, because what Zeppelin were playing wasn't Metal, but elements of it are. Metal was basically created thanks to the mythology Zeppelin formed aroudn themselves and the heaviness of their music, but Zeppelin were only a part of what made that genre I would say.

well before this thread goes WAY off topic, I'll say Zep has very little to do with what current "Metal" acts are doing. I'd give that pedigree to Sabbath and several others. Zep was more about texture/light and shade.....Heavy Metal is a label that you could only use to describe a very small percentage of Zep's catelog. I for one don't hear ANY blues in Metallica. Nor did I in Sabbath or Priest. It's alltogether a different thing.

OK, back on topic.

things Zep invented...tech stuff........ ;) (good luck finding some :whistling: )

well before this thread goes WAY off topic, I'll say Zep has very little to do with what current "Metal" acts are doing. I'd give that pedigree to Sabbath and several others. Zep was more about texture/light and shade.....Heavy Metal is a label that you could only use to describe a very small percentage of Zep's catelog. I for one don't hear ANY blues in Metallica. Nor did I in Sabbath or Priest. It's alltogether a different thing.

OK, back on topic.

things Zep invented...tech stuff........ ;) (good luck finding some :whistling: )

Swan Song record label! :D:D:D

the cures for the common cold & Cancer

Seen the interview on the DVD of Page, aged 16, and his skiffle group? Where he says when he leaves school he wants to be a biologist and discover the cure for cancer.

The term "Guitar God." Pretty much came along after Zeppelin. Before them it wasnt used.

Rolls >>> :wacko:

Didn't they invent velcro? No! Sorry that was Star Trek.

Hmm. Afraid Clapton was first to be deified. The phrase “Clapton is God” was painted on a wall in the London Underground station , as depicted in the infamous photo.

But I remember reading somewhere of an article on Jimmy puslished thereafter entitled "Is Jimmy Better Than God"?

Apologies, can't remember source of that phrase.

Hmm. Afraid Clapton was first to be deified. The phrase "Clapton is God" was painted on a wall in the London Underground station , as depicted in the infamous photo.

But I remember reading somewhere of an article on Jimmy puslished thereafter entitled "Is Jimmy Better Than God"?

I once read somewhere that the whole "Clapton Is God" business started because the "author" of said graffiti meant to write "good"....

I also read in Mick Fleetwoods' bio of Fleetwood Mac that not long after Clapton Is God started popping up everywhere so did another phrase:

"Peter Green Is Better Than God" B)

Didn't JP say that he was the first to use backwards drum tracks or something played backwards on some song somewhere, and no, I am not referring to backward messages in STH.

And weren't they pioneers in adapting ambiance microphone recordings by placing some near, some far, some in hallways, to achieve a more realistic live quality?

they invented heavy metal

People on this board are so afraid to say it, but I agree with you. Although there is a point to be made about them trying on so many different genres that it's hard to pin them down to just one. That said they were, amongst other things, a heavy metal band.

Now, to the topic!

I think Honeydripper put it best in his first post. Most of the things they are credited with inventing are really just cases of being the first popular outfit to do so.

Archived