Things Zeppelin Invented.

Laughter

"im not as good on the history as other members but didn't Page play that riff. I think metal changed over the years, before all these other metal bands came out heavy metal was more pure. I think heavy metal has to do with confidence and i think Zep invented that confident style. I'm not a musicologist but they invented that style for me.

I was always under the impression the You Really Got Me by The Kinks (1964) was regarded as the first heavy metal riff.

RB

That's a good point, and a similar case can be made for "Helter Skelter," the Blue Cheer version of "Summertime Blues," and selected passages of Steppenwolf.

Didn't JP say that he was the first to use backwards drum tracks or something played backwards on some song somewhere, and no, I am not referring to backward messages in STH.

And weren't they pioneers in adapting ambiance microphone recordings by placing some near, some far, some in hallways, to achieve a more realistic live quality?

Yeah you're right.

As you said, Jimmy did invent it, but it wasn't first used for a Led Zeppelin album.

I think Jimmy first used it on "Ten Little Indians" by the Yardbirds.

So maybe "Led Zeppelin" didn't invent it, but Jimmy Page sure did.

Perhaps someone could make the argument that they first used it most extensively and successfully.

Hmm. Afraid Clapton was first to be deified. The phrase “Clapton is God” was painted on a wall in the London Underground station , as depicted in the infamous photo.

But I remember reading somewhere of an article on Jimmy puslished thereafter entitled "Is Jimmy Better Than God"?

Apologies, can't remember source of that phrase.

Is that saying guitar god? Or Clapton is god. I agree that Clapton/Beck put their stamp on it. And that many others to follow did too. I forget where I read this tidbit. I guess I should have rephrased it to say the term "guitar god" wasnt used much or as popular until Led Zeppelin. Now as far as Heavy Metal goes, I am afraid LZ was considered more a "Hard Rock" band than "Heavy Metal." "Heavy Metal," is a whole diff ball of wax. I never cared for that term much, but hey nothing I can do about people applying it across many genres of music. Acid Rock was another term. I dunno if that's been posted....but anyhoooo.

Everyone have fun, relax, peace, love and hippy shit to everyone ;)

Rolls>>> :wacko:

PS Anyone see Fat Freddy? Tell him to get that stinkin cat out from under me porch eh?

That's a good point, and a similar case can be made for "Helter Skelter," the Blue Cheer version of "Summertime Blues," and selected passages of Steppenwolf.

Amen Brother Blue Cheer!

I'm of the Black Sabbath invented metal, Zeppelin invented...I don't know but I sure fucking love it!

"im not as good on the history as other members but didn't Page play that riff.

Although Page was booked for the session, Ray Davies refused to let him play, saying that the band already had a guitarist (his brother, Dave). Instead, Page plays tambourine on the track.

RB

ZOSO: Chapter 1 Vs 1-4

1. In the begining Zeppelin created the heaven and the earth.

2. And the earth was without form,and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the spirit of Zeppelin moved upon the face of the waters.

3. And Zeppelin said, Let there be light:and there was light

4. And Zeppelin saw the light that it was good: and Zeppelin divided the light from the darkness.

I think that what Led Zeppelin really invented was the way music was done. To me, it's as is if Zeppelin took rock n' roll and rewrote all of the history books. No one has ever made music (studio recordings and live performances) as powerful as Led Zep did. What amazes me most is how some of the most simple Zep tunes are the most powerful.

For instance, Houses of the Holy is basically that one great riff throughout the entire song. But that riff sounds so mesmerizingly powerful and it never gets boring. How in hell did they do that? It's the same thing with Whole Lotta Love IMO. One BIG riff and BOOM! It has so much meaning. Led Zeppelin didn't invent big riffs and meanings, but they invented the level of extremes that they were played at. Can anyone duel wtih Zep in music power? No one. Led Zeppelin truly invented the "Great Band Legacy Extremes". (and that is even without mentioning their quite and soft acoustic side)

It's often credited as the first or one of the first heavy metal songs. I don't know how I feel about that, but I can see where they're coming from.

It's hard rock. No metal song will ever have "Bop bop bop" in it.

Led Zeppelin were arguably the first 'supergroup' to make it - Blind Faith died after much speculation. Page and Jones had the cred going into their contract, they pulled through and sailed higher. I believe they were the first to have huge success with little single releases.

Other Firsts I think (please correct/ update if known)

- first to have massive success and release an album with no name/ band name on cover (the fourth album) that becomes a classic

- first to release an album with multiple covers (In Through the Out Door).

- having a member playing bass/keybords + bass pedals/ mandolin instead of getting another member in to play another instrument (not sure of other bands doing that at the level of success of Zeps)

- attendance records eg Tampa Stadium - "On May 5, 1973 the band attracted 56,800 people, which at the time represented the largest audience for a single artist performance in history, breaking the record set by The Beatles at Shea Stadium in 1965." (from Wikipedia)

(another interesting fact, since forming in 1968 they actually performed live with 3 names - The New Yardbirds, The Nobs & Led Zeppelin)

- quite possibly the first to base themselves on a 747 while touring America

- not sure about this one, but they may have been the first to tour as much as they did in their first years - From Sept 68 - Dec 71 (3 years), 7 US Tours & 5 UK Tours

........they didnt invent anything

what they did do was refine techniques and methods.

they basically took the ball, threw the ball, and popular music, has been watching on, open mouthed at thier legacy ever since.

mozart, did not invent a single form of music, however he refined genres such as the piano, and horn concerto and blew all his contemparies away.

a generation since zeppelin disbanded, it is only now, that we realise how important this band was, they like true greats, defy words and categories. in a nutshell, listen to any record from the late sixties and you'll find perhaps one or two that have dated as well as say, led zep I, hendrix done it on his 3rd attempt with el ladyland, wilson done it with petsounds on his 10th or eleventh attempt, led zeppelin done it on their 1st attempt, and may i add, recorded in 30 hrs.

led zep back catalogue is so good, so vital, as a musician with a classical background they are as important as bach, chopin, bach et al.

thats better...................

This isn't an invention but I would credit them as the first band to incorporate Nordic/fantasy mythology as a recurring or defining characteristic.

I don't know about inventions but they were certainly pioneers in some areas. I'm thinking of the guitar/amp sounds that Page created on the recordings, specifically his ability to get his guitar to sound like some kind of giant metal machine. I was always marvelled at that. Think of "Out On The Tiles" or the slow middle section of "Carouselambra." I always picture this Transformer-type of monster hovering over the landscape, blocking out the sun.

His guitars always sound like nothing else I've ever heard on any other album by any other artist.

And "Helter Skelter" is definitely the first modern heavy metal song, just go back and listen to that descending riff. Plus the screaming vocals and that bass drum on the 1 and the 3 with no backbeat.

Motley Crue owes a good debt to McCartney and Co.

........they didnt invent anything

what they did do was refine techniques and methods.

they basically took the ball, threw the ball, and popular music, has been watching on, open mouthed at thier legacy ever since.

mozart, did not invent a single form of music, however he refined genres such as the piano, and horn concerto and blew all his contemparies away.

a generation since zeppelin disbanded, it is only now, that we realise how important this band was, they like true greats, defy words and categories. in a nutshell, listen to any record from the late sixties and you'll find perhaps one or two that have dated as well as say, led zep I, hendrix done it on his 3rd attempt with el ladyland, wilson done it with petsounds on his 10th or eleventh attempt, led zeppelin done it on their 1st attempt, and may i add, recorded in 30 hrs.

led zep back catalogue is so good, so vital, as a musician with a classical background they are as important as bach, chopin, bach et al.

thats better...................

So as far as musical technical invention they have nothing on the Beatles?

Does anybody remember laughter?-yeah, and forests :D

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0656211/bio;

Reverse echo or reverb is a slightly unusual sound effect created as the result of recording an echo or delayed signal of an audio recording whilst being played backwards. The original recording is then played forwards accompanied by the recording of the echo or delayed signal which is now in reverse. The effect is also commonly used in film, often on the vocal recordings especially in Horror movies. The swelling effect is often used to create tension and intensity, but can also be used for more subtle atmospheric effect. Guitarist Jimmy Page lays claim to the invention of this effect, stating that he originally developed the method when recording the single "Ten Little Indians" with The Yardbirds in 1967. Did anyone use a bow in Metal/Rock before him?

This is not a Beatles forum, but for kicks;

As far as the Beatles go they did things like suspending mics in water jars, recording guitar solo's backwards, cutting tapes and splicing them together, cross fading, first to sing "live" on TV. They cut tapes and spliced them back together in sections, took two takes of a song, slowed down one of them, and put it together with the other take and made a song. They also made major use of multi track recording devices, super imposing one take onto another. From what I know of Zep re the first album, it was practice, go into the studio, and record it-period.

I have the official Abby Road Studio Session Notes by Mark Lewisohn. The day, Studio, time, Producer, engineers, takes, everything. 52 takes for "Your Mother Should Know" WHY??!!

I was always under the impression the You Really Got Me by The Kinks (1964) was regarded as the first heavy metal riff.

RB

And Who Played Guitar on that? All I know is that Mr Davies Never played the solo that way again, and that solo does sound a lot like late 60's page.

The Solo was always the point of contention the Riff was Page.

First to use Lasers in concert.

Perhaps first, use of Lead vocalist doing his own backing vocals.

one of the first violin bowed guitar.

extensive use of the concept of light and shade.

playing guitar on the other side of the nut

playing a strat without/reduced Number of springs

made use of MXR Phase 90 2 years before Van Halen

Used an Eventide Harmonizer's ability to pitch shift to created a makeshift Pitch shift effect for his knebworth guitar solo. 12 years later Digitech made their first Whammy(Pitch Shift)Pedal.

Created the basic Album format for hard rock, which included THE BALLAD. Check out the typical 80's hair band album.

First there was PRINCE, then he was know as a symbol, then when was untitled. I think that pretty much cover Led Zeppelin's Fourth Album. You know, the one that is untitled. The one where each member is represented by a symbol.

First to extensively and deliberately mix different types of musical styles as a method. The Beatles had middle eastern sitars and such as an effect. Led Zeppelin Incorporated eastern elements as an integral part of the music.

Jimmy Pioneered the concept of double tracking guitar parts (acoustic in particular) using alternate tunings for each track. For an example you would record a track on an acoustic guitar, then you tune the guitar differently and record the same passage of music and layer it over the first. This adds depth to the track because the acoustic will resonate differently in the different tunings.

Created the full concept of the Guitar army which includes.

1. Double Tracking - playing the same thing multiple times and layering it.

2. creating an orchestral arrangement of many guitar passages.

3. Creating a DI track of a guitar passage on a spare track then running that spare track into other amps/cabs/effects then layering the new track into the song.

4. splitting the signal out of the guitar and running into multiple amp and cabinet configurations and then simultaneously recording them onto individual tracks.

5. Using multiple mics to record a single source. This includes placing the mic at different distances. Using different brands and types of mics to record the same source (example on a 4x12 cab, you might have an sm57 on one speaker, a Sennheiser mic on another, and bass drum mic on a third speaker, and something else on the fourth. So one might take 8-12 tracks to record one guitar passage. Coverdale/Page was recorded in part at a studio in Reno because it featured a 72 track console. of which Page used most of the available tracks

"So as far as musical technical invention they have nothing on the Beatles? "

...............dont get me wrong i like the beatles, when i was a youngster, i loved them, but im so bored with them now, haven't listened to a beatles LP in 3 or 4 yrs. There music sounds so dated and stiff. The media throw the beatles down are throat all the time, when i personally now am bored with them and find nothing fresh in their music.

Archived