What makes Led Zeppelin the greatest band of all time?

LedZep1969

What makes Led Zeppelin the greatest band of all time?  

188 members have voted

1. 1. Members

• Jimmy Page
    • Robert Plant
    • John Paul Jones
    • John Bonham
    • All Of The Above

obviously it's the incomparable combination of all the 4 band members which made Led Zeppelin the greatest band of all times. they had and still have things other bands don't have which are chemistry and an amazing way of working in collaboration with each other especially on stage..each one of the members exceled in what he was doing and that what made them such a huge and successful band

The question is, what makes LZ the greatest band of all time, not who! Well, I say it's the songs, be it lyrics or the music, it all came together! You can't give more credit to one single member because they were tight as a group,and that's what they were, a fan-fuckin-tastic group!

Well.... For one thing it's because they stood out in many different ways, as songwriters, bassist, guitarist, drummer, and singer, etc. And also because they were not only immensely talented as individuals, but the chemistry of the band gained a life of it's own, making them surpass themselves, again and again and again....

And the album covers are great. :D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

For me what makes this band so great is the energy of their music.It has a special vibe,a pulse and that's what makes them different.That's something I can't explain,I just feel it.Besides,I think it really doesn't need to be explained because that's music and that's art-something you feel that is special for you.That's what Led Zep are for me and that's why it's so incredible-because it touches a chord. B)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I say all of them but mostly Bonham and Page if it weren't for Jimmy one day saw both Plant and Bonham perform on a stage with their old bandmates before joining LZ then we wouldn't be here talking about both Plant and Bonham Page knew they had a beautiful gift from God. I'm gonna be honest i don't care too much of Jonesy i mean he is one of the best bass players of all time but i was never into the bass players i'm always into the lead guitarist, lead singer, or the drummer. Jimmy is/was one of the greatest players at his prime no one couldn't touch him i think everyone knows his only competition were Hendrix and Clapton that is another story but he's my favorite guitarist right after Hendrix. I can care less about Clapton don't get me wrong he's great but he doesn't entertain me enough even i think David Gilmore is a better guitarist than Clapton.

I have a huge crush on Jimmy Page lol it is something about him everytime if i'm not in a good mood or i'm stressed out all i have to do is put on some LZ music and just stare at his beautiful black hair and gorgeous green eyes. John Bonham he is my favorite drummer of all time besides Keith Moon he was like the first one to rip a whole different new level in the drumming/drummers world i love that guy i love his "i don't care what you think about me" attitude he just had alot of spunk in him. As for Plant he influenced alot of singers it's crazy when legends like Freddie Mercury, Axl Rose, Bon Scott and Brian Johnson from AC DC, David Lee Roth, etc. to say you're my idol or i'm influenced with your work. Robert was different from the others before him like Mick Jagger he could sing the highest notes he was very powerful singer and still is at his legacy he changed the rules of rock n roll vocals i love how Led Zeppelin broke the rules and the boundaries no one can not get on their level hands down the only bands can share the torch with them is Queen and Pink Floyd and the Who.

100% for me. i think they were and still are, light years ahead of ANY other band. past, present and i am willing to bet also the future. they just can't be topped imo.

I am with you. The only band that someone could say is the best of all time other than Zeppelin, and you could not really argue against them is the Beatles. The Beatles must be mentioned and respected as they did one thing Zeppelin could not do. Touch all age groups. I mean, can you see an older generation person in their late sixties listening to In My Time of Dying or Dazed and Confused? No way. As for the Beatles, I can see that older person listening to Eleanor Rigby or Let it Be. The Beatles are the one band that we cannot argue against. I have always said there is the big 4 in rock history. The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, The Rolling /Stones, and the Who. I have kind of added Pink Floyd but they still have to be place maybe at 5 on the outside looking in at the likes of those 4. As musicians, Led zeppelin are by far the best. Nobody in the Beatles could match them playing instruments. Page blows away Harrison on guitar, still love you George. JPJ, better bass player than McCartney. But the Beatles had one thing many bands could not match. All four could sing. ALL OF THEM. And sing very well. The Eagles are in that league kind of and I put them firmly tied with Pink Floyd at numbe 5. But ending, Zeppelin is the best band of all time. No doubt to me. But the Beatles are also the best in alot of ways.

I don't think it's possible to have a "greatest band of all time" because there's too many factors going into what makes a band great AND because the idea of it is too subjective. Is it sales? It is influence? Is it how many bands after you cite you as an inspiration? Is it ticket sales/sell-outs? Is it longevity? Is it number of albums released? Also, what era did you perform in? Were there other bands like you or were you literally the only one of your kind -- like a blues band playing on Lawrence Welk. Greatness is both immeasurable and subjective.

That being said, what made Led Zeppelin as good as they were was a combination of all four of them and the fans. Never forget the fans.

I can tell you why I don't think LZ is the greatest band of all time. I don't think they were all that innovative or different in their own time. They were exceptional performers, musicians and songwriters in a time when their peers were all of that too. The big difference for me is they were part of the second or even third wave of that, it had all been done before to some degree. The benefit to them was they were able to soak all of that in before putting their own mark on it. Sure they were big stars in the 70's but it can't or shouldn't be discounted that they had an already great platform to build on. To give them too much credit isn't just. A great band yes, the mark for which all others are measured no. I place great value on what they accomplished but I'll never be convinced they were more than that.

• 4 weeks later...

I think you missed the point. I could SAY that there is a better band, but that would just be my opinion wouldn't it?

I agree, it's all opinion. Music isn't sports, there shouldn't be a competition for who's the best band ever.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree, it's all opinion. Music isn't sports, there shouldn't be a competition for who's the best band ever.

It's not but some fans have a need for their fave whatever to be acknowledged as the best because it validates their fandom. Personally I don't care if others like what I do.

• 3 months later...

I can tell you why I don't think LZ is the greatest band of all time. I don't think they were all that innovative or different in their own time. They were exceptional performers, musicians and songwriters in a time when their peers were all of that too. The big difference for me is they were part of the second or even third wave of that, it had all been done before to some degree. The benefit to them was they were able to soak all of that in before putting their own mark on it. Sure they were big stars in the 70's but it can't or shouldn't be discounted that they had an already great platform to build on. To give them too much credit isn't just. A great band yes, the mark for which all others are measured no. I place great value on what they accomplished but I'll never be convinced they were more than that.

You're the only person in the world that doesn't think Led Zeppelin is one of the 3 or 4 greatest pioneers in rock history. Just the fact that they put so many styles together makes them immensely groundbreaking. Not just from song to song, but individual parts drawing from several different influences and injecting them into somethin totally unheard.

Not just big stars in the 70s. Big stars now and for the rest of time. Say "Page and Plant" and anybody above the age of 10 in the civilized world will have a little bell go off in their head, at the very least making them think "hmm, where have I heard that before"

They didn't really soak it in. They were part of the movement. I don't really know what they woulda had time to soak in. They were playin gigs in 67, no? What band sounded like Zeppelin before that?

Not just big stars in the 70s. Big stars now and for the rest of time. Say "Page and Plant" and anybody above the age of 10 in the civilized world will have a little bell go off in their head, at the very least making them think "hmm, where have I heard that before"

Mick & Keith. Daltrey & Townshend. You think people don't know who they are? No one is saying Led Zeppelin is the same as Justin Bieber or The Backstreet Boys. However they were hardly the only huge, big-time, major, ass-kicking rock band at the time.

Mick & Keith. Daltrey & Townshend. You think people don't know who they are? No one is saying Led Zeppelin is the same as Justin Bieber or The Backstreet Boys. However they were hardly the only huge, big-time, major, ass-kicking rock band at the time.

Electrophile,

Your words are so true. If you grew up during that period you most likely had your favorites.

Somehow, (unbelievably to me today) I somehow managed to bypass The Who completely in the Seventies.

Even the Stones took a back seat to my favorites which were Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Genesis (early), Yes, Neil Young and CrazyHorse.

Anyhow, my point is you're right in that Led Zeppelin was hugh and left a giant footprint, but there were other major great bands too. I'm not sure the "Animals" LP left my turntable for weeks, lol. I am discovering The Who now to make up for lost time. He*l of a band too. Sorry, got a little off topic! :rolleyes:

On Topic:

They had a musical synergy that was breathtaking and could never be replicated without the all the original participants. .............:)

I personally do not consider any band "the greatest". I am a fan of so many bands now (it's getting pretty tough to keep track to be honest!) and I have had the opportunity to lend my ears to a variety of musical styles, so, I do not think it is quite fair to rank my favourite bands and say this band is better than that band and so on.

However, Led Zeppelin, to me, is one hell of an awesome band and I will remain a "Zep Head" till the day I die. I even plan to expose my kids and gran kids to their music because through the years, Zep's music has brought a huge smile to my face and my dad (who was the one who introduced their music to me in the first place) and I have had many awesome "father-daughter" moments thanks to bands like Zep and Queen! It was my love for this band which made me join this forum in the first place.

I think that Zep were the kick ass rock band they were because of all 4 members. Robert, Jimmy, JPJ and Bonzo, ALL had a unique role to play in making Zep the legendary band it became. All 4 of them complemented each other in a wonderful way and had good chemistry which is evident from the quality of the music and the fact that most of the time, they gave kick ass live performances! B)

You're the only person in the world that doesn't think Led Zeppelin is one of the 3 or 4 greatest pioneers in rock history.

No, he's not. I know of lots of people that are exceptionably knowledgeable music fans yet they're not fans of Led Zeppelin. That said, they may respect their contributions to rock n' roll and music as a whole but they may not think of them as "pioneers".

Archived