Why is punk taken so seriously yet classic rock is mocked?

Wolfman

Classic Rock

...is a terrible musical label. It describes a certain group of musicians, not actual music.

I love all the music described as classic rock, but more than that.

Punk

People who say the Sex Pistols were the definitive punk band are full of stupidity. Punk died with the Sex Pistols. With them, it was more about the skulls and anarchy image. It was a culture.

The music of Punk, which i say defines punk just as much, died with them. Then true punks as the term is were MC5, The Ramones, and above all, The Stooges. Iggy Pop defined punk as being something that is simply putting all emotion and energy humanly possible into the music. The Clash were the last great punk band, but most of their later stuff wasn't punk.

Also, people who think Green Day is punk are idiots.

in short: punk is about music just as much as attitude. The Stooges, and The Ramones had it right, but the Sex Pistols took away the musical aspects of it by simply making shitty music.

Dude, you are like 13 years old!!! How do you know all this?

1) Punk didn't die with the Pistols. It died because society couldn't handle the attitude/impact. Hence, New Wave and the likes of The Cars, The Pretenders, Pat Benetar and a bunch of other less threatening acts.

2) Face it, Green Day is 90's punk. If you are 17 years old and Green Day is the latest rage, it's punk.

3) I wouldn't say the Pistols made shitty music. The biggest mistake was bringing Sid into the band. That's when it became a real circus. Original bassist Matlock wrote most of the songs, John was a formidable lead vocalist and Jones was a decent guitarist.

Dude, you are like 13 years old!!! How do you know all this?

1) Punk didn't die with the Pistols. It died because society couldn't handle the attitude/impact. Hence, New Wave and the likes of The Cars, The Pretenders, Pat Benetar and a bunch of other less threatening acts.

2) Face it, Green Day is 90's punk. If you are 17 years old and Green Day is the latest rage, it's punk.

3) I wouldn't say the Pistols made shitty music. The biggest mistake was bringing Sid into the band. That's when it became a real circus. Original bassist Matlock wrote most of the songs, John was a formidable lead vocalist and Jones was a decent guitarist.

i think Johnny Rotten got it right when he pointed out that Green Day doesn't deserve the punk label because they are media darlings, when rotten got freakin' stabbed and mobbed in england.

ironically, the only part of the sex pistols i hate is lydon's vocals. i don't really care about Sid. Seemed like a nice, average, untalented guy...

they brought him in because it fit the "image". I consider punk a style of music AND the attitude, and i only label music as punk when it fits both qualifications.

i wouldn't call those 80's acts punk. i like them, but it's not punk in the original sense.

i think Iggy Pop says it best: "I'll tell you about punk rock: punk rock is a word used by dilettantes and, uh... and, uh... heartless manipulators, about music... that takes up the energies, and the bodies, and the hearts and the souls and the time and the minds, of young men, who give what they have to it, and give everything they have to it. And it's a... it's a term that's based on contempt; it's a term that's based on fashion, style, elitism, satanism, and, everything that's rotten about rock 'n' roll.'I don't know Johnny Rotten... but I'm sure, I'm sure he puts as much blood and sweat into what he does as Sigmund Freud did."

i think it can be said that when it becomes solely about image (like 80's new wave/punk bands and Green Day) it is no longer Punk.

You can upload them here and post the link on the forum so we can download the songs.

Keith Richards did that too :D . But I don't think that's 'cool'. Why would I go to a punk concert if I knew I may get hurt? I don't think that's a good way to get more people coming to your shows.

Well, you got to keep in my mind that at a Punk show, you might eat the soles of a bodysurfer army boots! Or some studs in the back... Stay away from the mosh pit!

Punk gigs are meant to be violent and decadent...

The way they're defined, I'd say punk and classic rock are both jokes. From what I've seen, they're used to describe whatever is radio-friendly from a particular time period. It's all a matter of opinion: If you asked me, I'd say your Ramones, Sex Pistols and Clashes suck just as much as your Hearts, Journeys, and Framptons.

Give me some The Fall, Joy Division, Public Image Ltd., Television, Wire, Fugazi. Give me some Can, Funkadelic, pre-DSOTM Floyd, The Velvet Underground.

It's stupid, I know, but I've found that if it's being played on the radio, I probably don't like it. Unless it's CCR. Everyone loves CCR. You can't not like CCR.

The way they're defined, I'd say punk and classic rock are both jokes. From what I've seen, they're used to describe whatever is radio-friendly from a particular time period. It's all a matter of opinion: If you asked me, I'd say your Ramones, Sex Pistols and Clashes suck just as much as your Hearts, Journeys, and Framptons.

Give me some The Fall, Joy Division, Public Image Ltd., Television, Wire, Fugazi. Give me some Can, Funkadelic, pre-DSOTM Floyd, The Velvet Underground.

It's stupid, I know, but I've found that if it's being played on the radio, I probably don't like it. Unless it's CCR. Everyone loves CCR. You can't not like CCR.

You're the first person I've heard who doesn't like the Sex Pistols while at the same time enjoying PiL.

i think Johnny Rotten got it right when he pointed out that Green Day doesn't deserve the punk label because they are media darlings, when rotten got freakin' stabbed and mobbed in england.

Strange he should say that when Lydon has been on awful media darling type programmes like I'm a celebrity get me Out of Here :blink: so they all do it even cretins like John Lydon.

I do think that Punk gets its due in the fact like when the grunge stuff came out in the early 90's, in the fact that some of the stuff was lets say not hard to play, but came and ruffled a few feathers when in the mid 70's and late 80's rock became a bit bloated and self endulgent.

So although they are not lets say very talented they made some established artists strip down their live sets etc.

It's stupid, I know, but I've found that if it's being played on the radio, I probably don't like it.

Same here...most of my favourite music never EVER gets played on radio or TV programs or noticed by the general public and media.

Course', 20 minute post-rock tracks and crushing death metal isn't exactly radio material.

Its all a matter of opinion: If you asked me, Id say your Ramones, Sex Pistols and Clashes suck just as much as your Hearts, Journeys, and Framptons.

Give me some Wire, Can, Funkadelic, pre-DSOTM Floyd..

Everyone loves CCR. .

For the first part I agree except I do like The Clash. The second part I edited are an excellent choice. Wire is about the best of their time period to me, the 77-79 era, climaxing with 154. Can were unique in their experimental sounds, Funkadelic mixed funk and psychedelic like no-one else and Id have to include DSOTM with Floyds essentials, but thats my cut-off point for them.

Im a part of everyone who loves Creedence.

The original statement of punk being taken seriously over classic rock does not comprehend in my mind.

Because Rock challenged the establishment and Punk challenged Rock...simple as that

reading all what's a "definition" of both classic and punk, I think I'll mostly not agree

I'll probably second this statement even if it's not so simple.

I'll write, sooner or later, what's punk to me ... and "classic", of course.

But it seems that almost nobody here lived the real punk scene and really know what it was and became.

Just a few of pearls (!):

punk concert - during the punk 77 era, there was almost no violence (it was outside eh eh) and absolutely no mosh, just POGO; and the real pogo was just jumping and jumping and jumping on your place (I hope you understand what I mean)

punk 82 - that's a real different matter, that's the faster and stronger era, in all senses; to me, it's not punk anymore, it's hardcore

punk 90's - that's almost pop music and called punk by the marketing ... :rolleyes:

punk today - uhm there's a lot of punk music around but no more punk movement; probably, Lydon's the last real punk.

Chrissie Hynde was a real punk of the 77 era, she moved to london and was close to the sex pistols movement.

Punk died with Johnny Thunders and the Heartbreakers, bringing the use of heavy drugs (heroin) from US.

I never understand why is that the general media seems to respect punk so much yet looks down on classic rock. Yeah, I get the whole punk is an attitude but I don't care what anyone says, most punk bands couldn't hold a candle to the talents of most classic rock bands (exceptions being the Clash and possibly, the Ramones). Back in the day, most classic rock artists were world-class musicians while most punk bands couldn't play more than four chords. You would think it would be the opposite. Thoughts?

when playing rock and roll, sometimes less is better.....

i'll take the clash, pistols, and ramones over ELP anyday.

who cares what the media says, anyway-follow your ears. always.

were it up to the media, many might not have bought a zeppelin record.

but people know better.

you thumbs-upped some great bands. you shit on some great bands too (not as many though,,,)

fuck the labels. follow your ears....they never lie.

Archived