Led Zeppelin's Lyrical Content Highly Under Rated

ZoSo88

This is one area where Led Zeppelin is not bashed too much, but I have read a few posts about this, and crtitics used to do their fare share of shoot-downs in regards to the lyrical content of LZ. I recall Rolling Stone's review of Physical Graffiti saying you wouldn't find much in the way of lyrical content in that album. So it occured to me, especially in that instance, that songs like "Kashmir", "Ten Years Gone", and "The Rover" (Just to name a few) were just over the heads of critics and bashers alike. Listen to the first verse of Kashmir...

Oh let the sun beat down upon my face, stars to fill my dream

I am a traveler of both time and space, to be where I have been

To sit with elders of the gentle race, this world has seldom seen

They talk of days for which they sit and wait and all will be revealed

This is the kind of stuff that I say is too advanced for people who bash it. Yet bands like Pink Floyd (not bashing them, just using an example) are praised for lyrics like "We don't need no education.". Its an unfair double standard.

I sometimes even hear people bash Stairway To Heaven. Its been like the holy grail of Zep trivia to figure out exactly what it means. I've heard members talk about how happy they are that so many people interpret it in their own way, that is not the same as meaning...fill the meaning of the song with anything. A song of that caliber is easily shot down because many people are not qualified to interpret stuff that deep, they rather dismiss it as "filler content that ryhmes" and then try to shoot down people who defend the quality of the content as "looking for something that isn't there". Well people who think like that are not worthy of LZ's music. Neither are the high school rejects who rock the "Zeppelin 77 tour" T-Shirts yet couldn't name all four members or any songs beyond Stairway.

I just wish that critics and fans alike would gain a better and more accurate appreciation for the music.

Carouselambra's lyrics are really cool too, Plant's got a good head on his shoulders to come up with slick lines like "Sisters by the wayside bide their time in quiet peace". Definitely not typical "rock star" lyrics, he's an underrated lyricist, and grew through the years. If you can, check them out in the Remasters-era box set official tablature books. He says alot of stuff you don't realize he's saying, cool, rocked-out stuff on tracks like "Sick Again", "For Your Life", "Royal Orleans", etc, he had the attitude down cold.

I get a chill and the hair stands up on the back of my neck when I hears these lyrics in "How many more times".

Well, they call me the Hunter, that's my name

Call me the Hunter, that's how I got my fame

Ain't no need to hide, Ain't no need to run

'cause I've got you in the sights of my gun

One of the reasons I Love Led Zeppelin is the lyrics. Even when they're scary. :D

I think a lot of the bashing is based on a just a few songs, such as "Ramble On" and "Immigrant Song," both of which have lyrics that don't show what Plant was really about.

well they had to be close to what he was about...

Ramble On had references to Lord of the Rings, which he was crazy about.

I can recall Plant saying that Immigrant Song was one of his favorites.

"Well, we were all high on the Moroccan dope at the time, so who

knows?"

- Robert Plant, on the meaning of "Stairway To Heaven".

http://led-zeppelin.org/reference/index.php?m=assorted1

Robert's distaste of the Stairway obsession is well known. He grew tired of singing it, didn't want to live off it, and much as he has spoken about his Zeppelin days, he's willing to play down the meaning and significance of alot of it so people would stop asking him. I'm sure when he replied with the quote above...someone was asking him for the 798,234,455,211 time..."What does Stairway To Heaven mean?". But you know what...someone in a crowd once shouted out "What does ZoSo mean?" And Robert answered for Jimmy and said "Frying tonight!". He says alot of things in joke, alot of things in sarcasim, and is wishy washy about a great deal from time to time, a musician of that caliber has earned that right. I've heard him speak much higher of the song from time to time so don't take on quote out of context and formulate your opinion from that.

well they had to be close to what he was about...

Ramble On had references to Lord of the Rings, which he was crazy about.

While he did like LOTR very much, that's hardly what he wrote about regularly. There are a few lyrics that reference LOTR, but he wasn't writing about them constantly as so many people seem to believe (not saying you're one of them). Robert had way more to say than stories about "Golem."

"Well, we were all high on the Moroccan dope at the time, so who

knows?"

- Robert Plant, on the meaning of "Stairway To Heaven".

http://led-zeppelin.org/reference/index.php?m=assorted1

He was being sarcastic and did not want to answer the question, he is tired of people asking what the song means so he just puts the question off, one reason he does not like the song as much anymore.

While he did like LOTR very much, that's hardly what he wrote about regularly. There are a few lyrics that reference LOTR, but he wasn't writing about them constantly as so many people seem to believe (not saying you're one of them). Robert had way more to say than stories about "Golem."

There are a few songs

• Ramble On
    Battle Of Evermore
    Immigrant Song
    No Quarter

Tell me if I missed any

I get a chill and the hair stands up on the back of my neck when I hears these lyrics in "How many more times".

Well, they call me the Hunter, that's my name

Call me the Hunter, that's how I got my fame

'cause I've got you in the sights of my gun

One of the reasons I Love Led Zeppelin is the lyrics. Even when they're scary. :D

Interesting little article about that song here.

Albert King's 1967 song "The Hunter", which was written by the members of Booker T. & the MGs, opens with the lines:

They call me the hunter, that's my name

A pretty woman like you, is my only game

I bought me a love gun, just the other day

And I aim to aim it your way

Ain't no use to hide, ain't no use to run

'Cause I've got you in the sights of my love gun

Here Robert Plant makes only slight variations from the original:

Well they call me the hunter, that's my name

They call me the hunter, that's how I got my fame

'Cause I've got you in the sights of my gun

Like the writer of the article, I prefer to appreciate the seamless references to all sorts of sources rather than blather on about plagiarism. Still, it's good to be aware of those sources.

By-the-way, I love a lot of Plant's lyrics, but I'm amazed that Trampled Underfoot isn't quoted more often by detractors. It's such a great track musically that I guess a lot of people don't even register the words, but try these:

Grease me straight down, good electric

I could lay it on the road, mama, it aint no trick

Ooh, trouble-free transmission, helps your oils flow

Mama, let me pump your gas, mama, let me do it all

Take that heavy metal underneath your hood

Baby, I could work all night, leave a big pile of tubes

Automobile club-covered, really built in style

Special is tradition, mama, let me feast my eyes

Factory air-conditioned, wind begins to rise

Guaranteed to run for hours, mama, and brand-new tires

Come to me for service every hundred miles

Baby, let me check your valves, fix your overdrive

Ooh, yes, fully automatic, comes in any size

Makes me wonder what I did, before I got synchronized

Ooh, feather-light suspension, coils just couldnt hold

Im so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

"The Lemon Song"

I should have quit you, long time ago. [X2]

I wouldn't be here, my children, down on this killin' floor.

I should have listened, baby, to my second mind [X2]

Everytime I go away and leave you, darling, you send me the blues way down the line.

Said, people worry I can't keep you satisfied.

Let me tell you baby, you ain't nothin but a two-bit, no-good jive.

Went to sleep last night, worked as hard as I can,

Bring home my money, you take my money, give it to another man.

I should have quit you, baby, such a long time ago.

I wouldn't be here with all my troubles, down on this killing floor.

Squeeze me baby, till the juice runs down my leg. [X2]

The way you squeeze my lemon, I'm gonna fall right out of bed.

I'm gonna leave my children down on this killing floor.

This is truly 20th century prose at its' very highest level, no?

Well at least they gave Howlin' Wolf a credit for that one.................. :ph34r:

I have got to say I have always thought all of LZ's lyrics were brilliant. Especially as compared to current music. I get chills from the Immigrant Song, and when Robert sings "Vahalla, I am coming" I about flip!

Even stuff like Trampled Underfoot and Custard Pie, they still found a way to make dirty stuff have just a dash of wit. I don't know how to explain it but just like Roberyt said, some of their stuff is like just do it in the bathroom and its blatant, but he values his song writing alot. And lets not underestimate the rest of the band, and the Page & Plant songwriting combination might be one of the greatest ever.

Achilles Last Stand hasn't been mentioned yet. I think the thing about Plant was that his lyrics weren't meant to be taken linear all the time. It's mainly just a tour of an environment he wanted to give you. Otherwise the lyrics of ALS can be counted pointless to someone who only thinks in a certain way.

Interesting little article about that song here.

Like the writer of the article, I prefer to appreciate the seamless references to all sorts of sources rather than blather on about plagiarism. Still, it's good to be aware of those sources.

I think part of Robert's strength's is ability to connect lyrical history and apply it in a similar but new light. The problem is that most people see this as plagiarism. I don't, because it's not only the words that make up a song.

He was being sarcastic and did not want to answer the question, he is tired of people asking what the song means so he just puts the question off, one reason he does not like the song as much anymore.

There are a few songs

• Ramble On
    Battle Of Evermore
    Immigrant Song
    No Quarter

Tell me if I missed any

Okay here's the songs that were really LOTR references.

Battle of Evermore is mostly about the final LOTR book the Return of the King. There are references completely unique to those books in there such as the reference to The Queen of Light(Galadrial) and ringwraiths which is completely unique to LOTR. There's also a few obvious references in the song.

Ramble On's first lines are taken directly from the first novel when they are about the leave the elf village. Also the references to Gollum at the end. This song is about LOTRs obviously.

Misty Mountain Hop is obvious with the title. It's a double meaning song about a kids acid trip and about the Hobbit.

The last one isn't really about LOTR but it takes it's influence from a poem in LOTR. Over the Hills and Far Away has some lines directly from a poem mentioned in the Hobbit I think.

The final song that has anything to do with LOTR is about Plant's dog which was named after the hero in LOTR Aragon. Of course that song in Bron-Y-Aur Stomp

This is one area where Led Zeppelin is not bashed too much, but I have read a few posts about this, and crtitics used to do their fare share of shoot-downs in regards to the lyrical content of LZ. I recall Rolling Stone's review of Physical Graffiti saying you wouldn't find much in the way of lyrical content in that album. So it occured to me, especially in that instance, that songs like "Kashmir", "Ten Years Gone", and "The Rover" (Just to name a few) were just over the heads of critics and bashers alike. Listen to the first verse of Kashmir...

Oh let the sun beat down upon my face, stars to fill my dream

I am a traveler of both time and space, to be where I have been

To sit with elders of the gentle race, this world has seldom seen

They talk of days for which they sit and wait and all will be revealed

This is the kind of stuff that I say is too advanced for people who bash it. Yet bands like Pink Floyd (not bashing them, just using an example) are praised for lyrics like "We don't need no education.". Its an unfair double standard.

I sometimes even hear people bash Stairway To Heaven. Its been like the holy grail of Zep trivia to figure out exactly what it means. I've heard members talk about how happy they are that so many people interpret it in their own way, that is not the same as meaning...fill the meaning of the song with anything. A song of that caliber is easily shot down because many people are not qualified to interpret stuff that deep, they rather dismiss it as "filler content that ryhmes" and then try to shoot down people who defend the quality of the content as "looking for something that isn't there". Well people who think like that are not worthy of LZ's music. Neither are the high school rejects who rock the "Zeppelin 77 tour" T-Shirts yet couldn't name all four members or any songs beyond Stairway.

I just wish that critics and fans alike would gain a better and more accurate appreciation for the music.

I dig ya. I guess there ain't no Safe Haven anymore where people can think freely.

It's sad. All we see are killing fields.

Achilles Last Stand was certainly a masterpiece, I get goosebumps just listening to both the musical and lyrical aspects. One thing I have to ask is..why is everyone talking more about Plant, no one has mentioned Page who wrote just as much. There were only two songs he had no part in but it normally says page/plant, or page/plant/jones, page/plant/jones/bonham.

By-the-way, I love a lot of Plant's lyrics, but I'm amazed that Trampled Underfoot isn't quoted more often by detractors. It's such a great track musically that I guess a lot of people don't even register the words, but try these:

Grease me straight down, good electric

I could lay it on the road, mama, it aint no trick

Ooh, trouble-free transmission, helps your oils flow

Mama, let me pump your gas, mama, let me do it all

Take that heavy metal underneath your hood

Baby, I could work all night, leave a big pile of tubes

Automobile club-covered, really built in style

Special is tradition, mama, let me feast my eyes

Factory air-conditioned, wind begins to rise

Guaranteed to run for hours, mama, and brand-new tires

Come to me for service every hundred miles

Baby, let me check your valves, fix your overdrive

Ooh, yes, fully automatic, comes in any size

Makes me wonder what I did, before I got synchronized

Ooh, feather-light suspension, coils just couldnt hold

Im so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

You can't write better shit than that. The sexual references go way overboard. I know he was influenced after hearing a Robert Johnson song but this is way overboard from Terraplane Blues. This song has some of the best sex references of any Zepp song.

A couple of other songs that I would like to mention are Thank You(which is the perfect wedding song IMO), The Ocean, Dancing Days, and Tea For One.

Just so you know the Immigrant Song is about Vikings. No Quarter is about some people trying to end a war but have to go through the battle sites and some dangerous areas on their way to somehow stop a war. I guess that could be a slight LOTR reference because that's basically what Frodo and Sam went through but it's not as direct as some of the others I mentioned.

Just so you know the Immigrant Song is about Vikings. No Quarter is about some people trying to end a war but have to go through the battle sites and some dangerous areas on their way to somehow stop a war. I guess that could be a slight LOTR reference because that's basically what Frodo and Sam went through but it's not as direct as some of the others I mentioned.

Yes, that refers back to Celtic Mythology which is what Tolkien also based her books on, so they are sort of similar and Bron-Y-Aur-Stomp is more just about his Dog, except for his name which is based off LOTR, but the album version has no connection since he only says "Strider" in the Live Versions.

Archived