Plant's Post-Zeppelin Career. Love it or hate it?

Evster2012

138 members have voted

1. 1. Love it or hate it?

• Great work! Wonderful diversity!
    • If it ain't Zeppelin, I don't wanna know!

Love it! I'm more drawn to his latter works - Fate of Nations, Dreamland, Mighty Rearranger and Raising Sand but I think his first several records had some fantastic songs. Looking at his whole body of work it's pretty incredible how diverse it is. I have a lot of respect for how he took such a huge step going out on his own after being in such a huge band. But I think he had the right idea and started with a clean slate if you will.

Mine is the predictable answer here, not an apologist but an admirer of his work. To create a solo career post Zeppelin of such depth and breadth has to be admired for me.

What an act and legacy to follow.

Some will argue that he hasn't shifted the same amount of albums as Zep but then long established well known popular bands haven't either.

How many other artists post band break up have had a successful solo career? It only a handful.

I didn't want him to be Zep version 2 cos that would have failed miserably and he did refuse to play Zep songs in his show for some time and he did state that he never would.

I never beleved he wouldn't play Zep at some stage and again its his right to do so even though there are a few who disagree with him doing so, and I do mean only a few.

He built a range of musicians around him with the albums and high quality guys too. Granted he never seemed to keep the same one for too long as he moved in different directions as he has always kept moving.

Dreamland was mainly covers I know but it was a different sound for him, using his voice differently as he got older and his vocal range altered. Wise decision I feel, he wasn't 20 anymore and stuff like Immigrant song would fuck most peoples voices.

Anyway, despite my admiration i did struggle and still do at times to really get into Shaken and Stirred as a complete album, and some tracks haven't aged as well as others on some of the other albums.

But he for me is the greatest singer, a unique male voice, in the early days Joplinesque at times yes but my god was that a bad thing?

I laugh when I think of how he was unhappy with some of his singing on the 1st album when so many of us love it.

I have seen Robert plant 53 times live in various guises from Zep to Raising Sand.

I saw each tour inthe 80's and 90's, P&P, Priory of Brion, Strange Sensation, Honeydrippers and latterly this year with Alison K. Topped of course by the Zep 02 show :rolleyes:

I will continue to go to see him as long as he is up for touring.

I make no apologies for liking his work,his choice of styles ( even though RS was more of a nice shock to the system at first) and that he plays Zep songs in his shows ( a banjoed Black Dog takes some getting used to though)

I am a fan, an admirer and will always be so.

Mind you if he goes completely country :o I ain't line dancing to any of the songs. :D

I would love a Zep tour or more shows as much as anyone but I want him to be out there doing what he likes and what he is damn good at. There will come a time when he isn't and so its get it while you can.

A fan yes, an apologist no. B)

The same sentiments go for Jimmy and Jonesy, I want to see them out there playing and enjoying themselves whether with or without Robert and they can play Zep songs in the set too, I really don't mind at all ;)

Slow Dancer

Like I've Never Been Gone

Burning Down One Side

In the Mood

Big Log

Great songs by the newly solo Plant!

All great songs indeed. I'll add Moonlight in Samosa. What a beautiful song. Although not my favorite album, I like Shaken and Stirred a lot. I appreciate it more now believe it or not than when it first came out, although that's the first time I saw him live so it'll always hold a special place. Manic Nirvana is also a great album. I liked the darker feel of it over Now and Zen.

Love most of it. The only exception being his Priory of Brion work.

I never saw PoB being in the states but I've heard a lot of boots. I thought it was a great project and a good transition into the next phase of his career.

Mine is the predictable answer here, not an apologist but an admirer of his work. To create a solo career post Zeppelin of such depth and breadth has to be admired for me.

Some will argue that he hasn't shifted the same amount of albums as Zep but then long established well known popular bands haven't either.

How many other artists post band break up have had a successful solo career? It only a handful.

I didn't want him to be Zep version 2 cos that would have failed miserably and he did refuse to play Zep songs in his show for some time and he did state that he never would.

I never beleved he wouldn't play Zep at some stage and again its his right to do so even though there are a few who disagree with him doing so, and I do mean only a few.

He built a range of musicians around him with the albums and high quality guys too. Granted he never seemed to keep the same one for too long as he moved in different directions as he has always kept moving.

Dreamland was mainly covers I know but it was a different sound for him, using his voice differently as he got older and his vocal range altered. Wise decision I feel, he wasn't 20 anymore and stuff like Immigrant song would fuck most peoples voices.

Anyway, despite my admiration i did struggle and still do at times to really get into Shaken and Stirred as a complete album, and some tracks haven't aged as well as others on some of the other albums.

But he for me is the greatest singer, a unique male voice, in the early days Joplinesque at times yes but my god was that a bad thing?

I laugh when I think of how he was unhappy with some of his singing on the 1st album when so many of us love it.

I have seen Robert plant 53 times live in various guises from Zep to Raising Sand.

I saw each tour inthe 80's and 90's, P&P, Priory of Brion, Strange Sensation, Honeydrippers and latterly this year with Alison K. Topped of course by the Zep 02 show :rolleyes:

I make no apologies for liking his work,his choice of styles ( even though RS was more of a nice shock to the system at first) and that he plays Zep songs in his shows ( a banjoed Black Dog takes some getting used to though)

Mind you if he goes completely country :o I ain't line dancing to any of the songs. :D

I would love a Zep tour or more shows as much as anyone but I want him to be out there doing what he likes and what he is damn good at. There will come a time when he isn't and so its get it while you can.

The same sentiments go for Jimmy and Jonesy, I want to see them out there playing and enjoying themselves whether with or without Robert and they can play Zep songs in the set too, I really don't mind at all ;)

Damn mate! What an amazing post! I can't even come up with a reply! I'd like to comment but I still just keep going over what you said.

I got nothing! And I usually can come up with something. You've got me positively gobsmacked with that one! :beer:

I can't claim to have heard all of his post-Zep stuff but I've liked what I have heard.

That would be me too. But "Ship Of Fools" and "Darkness Darkness" have become 2 of my very favorite songs, so I would have to say I like his solo stuff.

Well Ev may have nothing to say but I can think of something -

Each tour Paul? Honeydrippers 1981? :P:P:D

I didn't see Honeydrippers 1981 either. :bagoverhead:

But every time I have seen him I've been blown away--never been disappointed. Love all his solo albums, some more than others, and can't even explain to myself why I love Dreamland best of all (especially when my preference above all else is to hear him sing the blues). But the point is that each album is so different from the others, just as each Zep album wasn't just a repeat of the one before--his music has been consistently fresh, surprising, and interesting. I've enjoyed all the different bands and permutations, including the Priory era, and never tire of listening to boots from all periods of his career. I just find it so impressive that he's never taken the easy road, and never bowed to pressure to take a particular path, including the kind of pressure he must be under right now.

That's why I'm proud to say I'm a huge admirer, despite what other people may feel about my saying so. And I'm a huge admirer of Jimmy and JPJ, and of Jason, separately and together. But the question was about Plant's solo career, so--love it. Love it love it love it.

I didn't see Honeydrippers 1981 either. :bagoverhead:

But every time I have seen him I've been blown away--never been disappointed. Love all his solo albums, some more than others, and can't even explain to myself why I love Dreamland best of all (especially when my preference above all else is to hear him sing the blues). But the point is that each album is so different from the others, just as each Zep album wasn't just a repeat of the one before--his music has been consistently fresh, surprising, and interesting. I've enjoyed all the different bands and permutations, including the Priory era, and never tire of listening to boots from all periods of his career. I just find it so impressive that he's never taken the easy road, and never bowed to pressure to take a particular path, including the kind of pressure he must be under right now.

That's why I'm proud to say I'm a huge admirer, despite what other people may feel about my saying so. And I'm a huge admirer of Jimmy and JPJ, and of Jason, separately and together. But the question was about Plant's solo career, so--love it. Love it love it love it.

Stop pissing about and tell us if you like his solo career or not. DOH!! :blink:^_^;)

Agreed,

Darkness, Darkness and Song to the Siren:

Absolutely beautiful.

I enjoy Fate of Nations the most of Plant's post Zeppelin recordings.Not even a remote clunker in the first six songs from this album.Particularly, Come Into My Life.Just a tremendous song to me.

Other albums...Worse Than Detroit,Big Log,Ship Of Fools,hell,the list rolls on and on.....

Robert Plant remains static,"perpetual motion,"I believe he once said.

Would that we all do likewise.

Agreed,

Darkness, Darkness and Song to the Siren:

Absolutely beautiful.

Song to the Siren is gorgeous. As much as I am a Tim Buckley fan, I think Robert's version is way better, though I also love This Mortal Coil's take on the song.

Darkness Darkness is also great. Priory of Brion did some interesting versions of the song - more jazzy.

I'm a fan of his solo work. I don't like everything he has ever done, actually I can't stand Shake'n'Stirred and I'm not a big fan of Raisnig Sand, but, otherwise, I like most of what he did.

Fate Of Nations, Mighty Rearranger and Dreamland are my favorites. :D

When I first bought Mighty Rearranger, I played it on a small boom box. I liked it but wasnt excited about the cd. Then, I bought a home theatre system. I was amazed at the difference. MR really rocked. Having those awesome speakers brought sounds out the cd that couldnt be heard on something smaller. Must be a good cd because I got compliments from my neighbors. :lol:

There's no option for my choice,so I'll just say it.I like what I've heard of it,and it does show diversity,but when I'm "in the mood" to hear Robert Plant sing,I put on a Led Zeppelin disc.

Hate would be too strong a word for it,but so would love.

It's been good. Saw all his NA tours except 2005 and enjoyed all of them. I'm not a big fan of Raising Sand and would like to see him return with Strange Sensation if he has no interest in hooking up with Jimmy and Jonesy. Overall, he's had some great moments as a solo artist

Archived